BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I hope there isnt as much priority and resources dedicated to bringing in a striker as is being suggested.

You look up front, Grahams ability is unquestioned, and we have competition in the shape of a big money younger striker with Championship experience and plenty of promise. We are well stocked with them 2, and Armstrong is 3rd choice. I wouldnt necessarily turn away another striker as its a position whereby you cant really have someone filling in, and when behind or drawing in games it can be good to have additional options, but I just look at major imbalances elsewhere first.

Out wide, the likes of Rothwell, Palmer, Armstrong and Conway have all failed to nail down a wide berth, the first 3 would prefer to play centrally but id suggest that all 4 are more effective on the left rather than on the right. Bennett is more conservative and can play either side really. We need an out and out right winger, not Chapman as an impact sub, to start games and give us some width and balance. Reed can play central every week.

We also need a centre back more urgently than a striker. We have 2 good first teamers for 2 roles as we do with Graham as a striker, but beyond that bar Downing (still big question marks about Championship capability) we have no natural centre backs. We are also short of cover at right back.

If I had to prioritise in Jan, i would suggest the following:

1. Right winger

2. Centre back to push Mulgrew and Lenihan

3. Right back to push Nyambe

4. Additional striker cover

I'd slightly change that:

1. Right Winger

2. New 1st choice Left Back

3. Big Centre Half

4. Striker cover.

5. Challenger for Nyambe

Also Reed on a permanent Trumps all these if that deal is remotely possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

1. Right Winger

3. Big Centre Half

4. Striker cover.

5. Challenger for Nyambe

The signings of Reed if possible and also of a new left back are 2 reinforcements I totally forgot about but 2 I totally agree with.

• Backroom
5 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

1. Right Winger

3. Big Centre Half

4. Striker cover.

5. Challenger for Nyambe

Outs (if the above occur):

One of Bell/Williams.

Downing

Smallwood (perm) or Travis (loan)

Samuel

Gladwin

RB cover ought to be someone relatively senior to Nyambe. Glen Johnson? (Free) Anthony Vanden Borre? (Free)?

Also Kurm (Huddersfield), Pinto (Norwich), Kelly (Palace), Baptiste (QPR) could be reasonable targets who are out of contract in summer 2019.

36 minutes ago, Mike E said:

One of Bell/Williams.

Downing

Samuel

Gladwin

RB cover ought to be someone relatively senior to Nyambe. Glen Johnson? (Free) Anthony Vanden Borre? (Free)?

Also Kurm (Huddersfield), Pinto (Norwich), Kelly (Palace), Baptiste (QPR) could be reasonable targets who are out of contract in summer 2019.

Thought Baptiste was pretty good in his stint with us. How old is he now - yes i am that lazy.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I hope there isnt as much priority and resources dedicated to bringing in a striker as is being suggested.

You look up front, Grahams ability is unquestioned, and we have competition in the shape of a big money younger striker with Championship experience and plenty of promise. We are well stocked with them 2, and Armstrong is 3rd choice. I wouldnt necessarily turn away another striker as its a position whereby you cant really have someone filling in, and when behind or drawing in games it can be good to have additional options, but I just look at major imbalances elsewhere first.

Out wide, the likes of Rothwell, Palmer, Armstrong and Conway have all failed to nail down a wide berth, the first 3 would prefer to play centrally but id suggest that all 4 are more effective on the left rather than on the right. Bennett is more conservative and can play either side really. We need an out and out right winger, not Chapman as an impact sub, to start games and give us some width and balance. Reed can play central every week.

We also need a centre back more urgently than a striker. We have 2 good first teamers for 2 roles as we do with Graham as a striker, but beyond that bar Downing (still big question marks about Championship capability) we have no natural centre backs. We are also short of cover at right back.

If I had to prioritise in Jan, i would suggest the following:

1. Right winger

2. Centre back to push Mulgrew and Lenihan

3. Right back to push Nyambe

4. Additional striker cover

well Nixon and Sharpe have both done reports on it this week. So its very good chance of happening.

a winger and centre back.

No need for a right back IMO until the summer  

I hope Nixon has copied Sharpe because it it's off his own bat there's a very good chance of nothing happening.

He seems to have gone a bit quiet from trying to sell our players recently to be fair, someone given him a handbag full of hush money or something ?

Edited by tomphil

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I hope Nixon has copied Sharpe because it it's off his own bat there's a very good chance of nothing happening.

He seems to have gone a bit quiet from trying to sell our players recently to be fair, someone given him a handbag full of hush money or something ?

Nixon wrote it on Sunday then Sharpe comment on twitter

• Like 1

Watching the games and Listening to TM , it was fairly easy to work out that we would be prioritising a striker.

CF is arguably the most important position in the team the only position we dont have nearly enough cover. Every good team has ample mainline options plus cover. Whichever way you look at it the manager doesn’t trust BB to do that job yet. Armstrong and Dack have been largely ineffective in that role and so as a manager he must be petrified of Graham getting injured.

Every other position / player is open to being replaced by better quality additions and some are needed more than others but I couldn’t see past a striker two weeks ago and I still can’t.

Prediction of what they’ll do / try to do remains: 

1) Striker on loan (experience in Champ)

2) Reed - Perm

3) Chapman - loan to perm or perm

As well as BB made perm.

Can see Palmer return plus some loans for the likes of Travis and Nuttall.

Note - A fully fit Davenport will be like a new signing. Highly rated at City and now at Rovers. Played most of his competitive games in the Champ last season and could easily have a ‘Reed’ like impact. I can see Reed, Travis and Davenport being medium to long term replacements for Smallwood and and Evans in the first Xl

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17299953.rovers-boss-on-inherited-players-and-sam-gallagher-links/?ref=mac

Mowbray: "Let’s see how much we have to spend in January, whether we are going down the loan route or looking to sign some permanent players.”

I suppose it all depends how you want to spin that. He also says his attention is on upcoming games and not the window, sensible, imo, if we do have a recruitment department doing that for him.

Personally I await confirmation that at least some cash has changed hands re the Brereton purchase, on 1st Jan or very soon thereafter.

The reason for the Kasey loan being terminated will also be of interest, if it happens.

Meanwhile I don't read the Sin or give a shit what Nixon says.

But the boss wouldn’t be drawn on whether he is looking to bring a member of his 2016/17 crop in Sam Gallagher back to the club in January.

Rovers are understood to have tried to bring Gallagher to the club in the summer window without success.

The 23-year-old, who scored 12 times during his previous season-long loan spell, has struggled for fitness this season, playing just 20 minutes of senior football for the Saints in the Carabao Cup, and only once for the Saints’ Under-23s.

With Rovers keen to add to their attacking ranks in January, Gallagher is thought to have come under consideration for a possible Ewood return.

Mowbray’s attacking options have been weakened by a knee injury to Dominic Samuel in August which is set to keep him out for the remainder of the season, while Rovers are keen to get 21-year-old Joe Nuttall gain further experience out on loan.

“Southampton have just got a new manager and I’m assuming he will be assessing each player,” Mowbray said.

“I don’t think they’ll be in any great rush to push anyone out of the door.

“That team that I inherited, however long ago it was I generally liked that team.

“The points accrued was pretty good.

“It’s about building a team, building a club.

“Let’s see how much we have to spend in January, whether we are going down the loan route or looking to sign some permanent players.”

From This morning LT 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17299953.rovers-boss-on-inherited-players-and-sam-gallagher-links/?ref=mac

17 hours ago, Mike E said:

One of Bell/Williams.

Downing

Samuel

Gladwin

Bit harsh on Smallwood. Why are you so keen on getting rid? 

On 14/12/2018 at 03:54, philipl said:

Something to watch for this window is the use of loanees.

We are in a much stronger position in the loans market than we were as a newly promoted side in the summer.

As solid mid table at worst, we can demand players who are much closer to being Premier League ready and talk much more meaningfully to the likes of City and particularly United where Mourinho has a love or hate relationship with players. For instance (and I am not advocating going for him) Fred had a stinker in Valencia and must be close to getting shipped out.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Palmer go back and one or two much better players come in on loan.    

I wouldn't be surprised to see us get reasonable results in the coming five fixtures against clubs above us but slip five places because we are drawing/ losing narrowly. Then use loanees who can turn draws against clubs around and below us into wins for a steady upwards move in the table during the second half of the season. Sticking to my prediction of finishing 7th. 

No point signing them if Mogga's not gonna play em.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

CF, CB, CM, 2 x FB’s, 2 x wingers/inside forwards, GK to challenge Raya as #1. 

Fair bit for TM to do if we’re really going to kick on. 

Under Mowbray that’s four windows right there. Let’s hope we have enough time and Venkys continue to throw money away.

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

CF, CB, CM, 2 x FB’s, 2 x wingers/inside forwards, GK to challenge Raya as #1. 

Fair bit for TM to do if we’re really going to kick on. 

I'm not sure I can take any more strikers being brought in to play "inside forward". What's ironic is that we actually will bring in an actual winger in January, but it'll be Harry Chapman and Mowbray will either loan him out or his hamstring will go in his first training session and we'll see him less than we saw everybody's favourite crock Vince Grella.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have a striker and centre midfielder playing on the wings. We need wingers. I won't be holding my breath though 

I like Reed wide as he can get forward more and using his energy to get into the box. He wont do that much in a the defensive 2 midfielders in the formation we play

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like Reed wide as he can get forward more and using his energy to get into the box. He wont do that much in a the defensive 2 midfielders in the formation we play

He would look good in most positions because he works his socks off, is a good tackler, tidy and has a brain. Putting him in the middle wouldnt stop him getting forward. There is no reason why at times we shouldn't expect our centre midfielders to get forward and be creative. We should put him in the middle and put Rothwell on the wing, particularly at home. A game like today was there for the taking if we were braver. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He would look good in most positions because he works his socks off, is a good tackler, tidy and has a brain. Putting him in the middle wouldnt stop him getting forward. There is no reason why at times we shouldn't expect our centre midfielders to get forward and be creative. We should put him in the middle and put Rothwell on the wing, particularly at home. A game like today was there for the taking if we were braver. 

Reed is quality and I think he is good at getting forward. Thought he scored today until Camp great save. 

I rated Rothwell very highly. I would be tempted to play him wide left and Reed/Evans in centre midfield for Norwich game

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Reed is quality and I think he is good at getting forward. Thought he scored today until Camp great save. 

I rated Rothwell very highly. I would be tempted to play him wide left and Reed/Evans in centre midfield for Norwich game

Ya, if he scored that it was game over. 

Ya, that would be good. He was on loan there last season, so he will be keen to have a good game. 

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Under Mowbray that’s four windows right there. Let’s hope we have enough time and Venkys continue to throw money away.

That roughly takes us to the 20/21 season which you would hope that Venky's would be pushing to get us back to where we where when them and their friends appeared, to crown 10 years of their glorious reign

Edited by perthblue02

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

if TM was braver.

• Like 1