BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If anyone was under any illusion that BB is ready to challenge Danny Graham then the last 25 mins of today’s game should have clarified that he isn’t..

It also adds weight to the argument that perhaps, at this point in our development as a team under Mowbray, that spending such a large sum on a player unable to provide  competition was not a wise idea.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It also adds weight to the argument that perhaps, at this point in our development as a team under Mowbray, that spending such a large sum on a player unable to provide  competition was not a wise idea.

and that is putting it extremely mildly!

The 7 million would have been better spent on gallagher. He looks twice the player ben is. 

Wayne Routledge is available from Swansea. Anyone think he could be a good addition

Wouldn't mind the goalie archer from millwall either .

Edited by Oldgregg86

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If anyone was under any illusion that BB is ready to challenge Danny Graham then the last 25 mins of today’s game should have clarified that he isn’t..

At the risk of going over old ground mate I see nothing in him that gives me any optimism that he has anything to offer. Today he looked cumbersome and his touch was poor. I watched some of his movement off the ball and his runs invariably didn't give us many options to bring him into the game. He was one of a triumvirate of Rovers players who had Jota trapped near the corner but still allowed him to pass the ball through them. This lead to the penalty.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But that depends on our ambition and how much we have to spend. If the suggestion is that we have only the Brereton money to spend then I would be tempted to send the lad back and buy some quality as oppose to potential. However if we are looking to build a promotion team then over the next four windows I expect to see several millions paid out. Those teams would have three or four options for that mainline striker option and we should be no different.

Very rare for any club to go for a wholesale rebuild in January. 

Surely we should be looking at players who will make a difference turning draws into wins? 

I am concerned our only two Premier League class players- Dack and Reed- could both leave. We will look extremely ordinary without them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

At the risk of going over old ground mate I see nothing in him that gives me any optimism that he has anything to offer. Today he looked cumbersome and his touch was poor. I watched some of his movement off the ball and his runs invariably didn't give us many options to bring him into the game. He was one of a triumvirate of Rovers players who had Jota trapped near the corner but still allowed him to pass the ball through them. This lead to the penalty.

I know what you mean and I have to agree. He was SOOOO poor when he came on. Looked cold and disinterested to me. But I haven’t scouted him for months and I don’t watch him everyday in training. The people who have and do, rate him really highly. It’s a tough one and depends on what investment we have. If we’re serious about going up then you have to be prepared to buy up talent and potential in every position. Either way, we need more strikers who do the job Graham does. 

If we want to go up then for me the following needs to happen over the next four windows:

Be prepared to improve every position in terms of quality.

Sell Dack for £25m+ in the summer.

Bell, Williams, Smallwood, Conway, Downing, Evans replaced in first eleven and sold or prepared to be on the bench.

Mulgrew and Graham maintain their fitness and performance levels or be replaced.

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Armstrong, Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport, Reed (hopefully) to be developed to Premiership level. Team built around them.

• Like 1

£25m for Dack is dreamland.

Mowbray won’t be replacing Evans any time soon and he seems to have a loyalty to Smallwood.

Building a team with Rothwell at the heart of it doesnt look like happening any time soon.

Mowbray has done a great job under difficult circumstances and there is a danger that sentimentality will result in a repeat of the Bowyer situation.

We have some good young players - you don’t even mention the likes of Travis and other players knocking on the door, for instance.

What this club needsnow is another Souness. Hungry and demanding and willing to put some trust in players that Mowbray seems to view as fringe players. We need a mix and right now we have hard workers and hard workers with Dack the man upon whose shoulders all of the expectation is place. If he is out of form so are Rovers. A player like Rothwell is a good example. He has shown in cameos what he can offer to the team but is sidelined. Meanwhile Brereton has had similar cameos - more even but hasn’t show a great deal at all.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

How the heck are we affording Maupay or Adams?

We aren’t - it seems Mani is offering to fund it himself! 

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I know what you mean and I have to agree. He was SOOOO poor when he came on. Looked cold and disinterested to me. But I haven’t scouted him for months and I don’t watch him everyday in training. The people who have and do, rate him really highly. It’s a tough one and depends on what investment we have. If we’re serious about going up then you have to be prepared to buy up talent and potential in every position. Either way, we need more strikers who do the job Graham does. 

If we want to go up then for me the following needs to happen over the next four windows:

Bell, Williams, Smallwood, Conway, Downing, Evans replaced in first eleven and sold or prepared to be on the bench.

Mulgrew and Graham maintain their fitness and performance levels or be replaced.

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Armstrong, Brereton, Rothwell, Davenport, Reed (hopefully) to be developed to Premiership level. Team built around them.

The logic of putting him on was correct by Mowbray. Two up and seemingly comfortable with no real pressure on him. The basics weren't even there. Whether it's the pressure of the fee, something in his head or anything else but clearly the lad has a big problem. I'm not attaching any blame to him for the debacle of the last 25 minutes but in the bigger picture  Brereton is becoming a real worry and potentially an Albatross around Mowbrays neck.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Not that one about looking good in training again----please!! I thought that had disappeared with Anderson's lad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If the suggestion is that we have only the Brereton money to spend then I would be tempted to send the lad back and buy some quality as oppose to potential

We can't send him back, that's the problem. Mowbray isn't very good in the transfer market, that much is very clear.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

The people who have and do, rate him really highly.

Mowbray said BB was the best finisher in training. Mowbray also said this about Dack last season and Graham two weeks ago. He's probably said it about you at some point. BB is not worth £7m and I doubt he ever will be. NFFC must be cocking themselves laughing.

• Like 1

When a bollock has been dropped in terms of a big money buy Blackburn Rovers fans suss it out very quickly .....

In other news how many times do we say 'i'd have taken a point'   and how many more 'Raya saves more than he costs us' ?

A keepers job is to save points but they should never throw them away, once ? well it does happen, twice ? ok just bad luck, 3 times onwards ?  It's a problem.

This is a consolidation season and TM needs to be taking stock of what is hot and what isn't but not sure he's brave enough to make the right adjustments there's a touch of groundhog to it all creeping in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray said BB was the best finisher in training. Mowbray also said this about Dack last season and Graham two weeks ago. He's probably said it about you at some point. BB is not worth £7m and I doubt he ever will be. NFFC must be cocking themselves laughing.

They simply wouldn't have made such a fuss about selling him but they knew his stock was probably the highest it would ever be and cashed in. No surprise that after a myriad of agents become involved Blackburn Rovers are at the other end of it signing up to a silly deal.

If he was so highly rated by them they'd have kept him around he didn't want to leave and at 19 he'd nothing to lose by biding his time there aside from probably trebling his wages with a move !

Edited by tomphil

Mowbray has to have a very good window in January. 

The defence/GK (specifically individual errors) are the positions costing us goals at an alarming rate. There is very little quality competition/cover in any position back there so that needs to be a priority. We need to score 3 to win most weeks recently, and sometimes 4 and 5. If Mowbray thinks this isn't a massive issue and is 'just where we are' then he's in the wrong job. 

He has some tough decisions to make. Re the GK, does Mogga bring someone else in like he wanted to in summer or does he stick with Raya and hope that one day he will mature and stop costing us games?  Same with Lenny and Nyambe. Bell is just not worth persevering with IMO, he's a liability and for a defender his concentration is appalling. Williams is not having a great season either. Mulgrew is not what I'd call a solid defender either.

We basically have 4 defenders and the GK capable of giving goals away every week through avoidable individual errors and/or rank bad defending. Lunacy. 

A left-winger must surely also be a priority. And back-up for DG.

The £7m paid for BB looks crazier every day...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like Reed wide as he can get forward more and using his energy to get into the box. He wont do that much in a the defensive 2 midfielders in the formation we play

He did it pretty well at West Brom. That's the big problem with Smallwood and Evans they don't look to pass forward let alone run forward. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He did it pretty well at West Brom. That's the big problem with Smallwood and Evans they don't look to pass forward let alone run forward. 

And for a team who nearly always plays two stoppers In midfield we don't half concede a lot of goals it was the same under GB. 

• Like 3