BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Pretty closed minded. You are only looking at the bad side of Souness and forgetting what he did with our youngsters.

Mowbray is sticking with the old guard and 6 defenders, regardless of results, and doesn’t have much faith in youth or much interest in starting an attacking team (unless it’s wing backs). Souness swept teams aside with the likes of Duff, Dunn and Jansen. With Berkovic as a playmaker.

I don’t see Mowbray changing this approach and nor do I see it being successful. Ironically you’ve asked fans to be patient with young players when one of my gripes is that Mowbray does not.

Ultimately, my priority is BRFC and not the initials on the tracksuit.

You call me close minded and say I’m only looking at the bad parts of Souness, what are you doing with Mowbray? What is “being successful” in your eyes? Promotion and consolidation at first attempt is a reasonable target isn’t it?

Doesnt have faith in youth? Why have Lenihan, Nyambe and Raya all been in his team then? Also - someone with such lack of confidence in young players surely wouldn’t spend their entire budget on Brererton, Armstrong, Davenport etc. Just because you think Travis and Nuttall are ready! Close minded much?

Duff was a top level premier league player and Dunn was on his day. Even Brian Laws would’ve had us sweeping teams aside, Berkovic another “top level” player. Souness did a good job but his approach is archaic, Football has well and truly moved on. Google “Souness Dwight Yorke Training”. Chances of Mowbray signing someone then doing that? 

What you actually want from that promotion season is to be one of the top budgets in the league again, and I’m with you on that.

• Like 1

It comes down to ambition and expectations.

How can we spend £7m on one player and our expectations of that player not increase? How can our ambition for the club not increase? Yet both are being shot down. Apparently there is some master plan. I don’t see it, I just see another absolutely autonomous manager answerable to the owners and not the chief exec. Mowbray continues to dine out on his ‘proper football man’ image, a cut-price Bobby Robson. Because of this it’s entirely possible he will be here until he walks as people make excuses. As a man I think he is great, as a manager I think he is limited.

My worry with Mowbray is that he is stubbornly sticking with players that we know we need to improve on. Our performances in the Championship this season have been, by and large, awful. If you don’t move forward then you go backwards. We found out the hard way by sticking with Bowyer for too long. We are about to make the same mistake again and some fans are happy to watch it all happen again.

And I don’t need to google it, I remember it. Signing Yorke was one of the worst things Souness did. Playboy with a bad attitude and he ruined a re-born Andrew Cole in the process. I’m not surprised someone went after him.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

It comes down to ambition and expectations.

How can we spend £7m on one player and our expectations of that player not increase? How can our ambition for the club not increase? Yet both are being shot down. Apparently there is some master plan. I don’t see it, I just see another absolutely autonomous manager answerable to the owners and not the chief exec. Mowbray continues to dine out on his ‘proper football man’ image, a cut-price Bobby Robson. Because of this it’s entirely possible he will be here until he walks as people make excuses. As a man I think he is great, as a manager I think he is limited.

My worry with Mowbray is that he is stubbornly sticking with players that we know we need to improve on. Our performances in the Championship this season have been, by and large, awful. If you don’t move forward then you go backwards. We found out the hard way by sticking with Bowyer for too long. We are about to make the same mistake again and some fans are happy to watch it all happen again.

And I don’t need to google it, I remember it. Signing Yorke was one of the worst things Souness did. Playboy with a bad attitude and he ruined a re-born Andrew Cole in the process. I’m not surprised someone went after him.

Aspiration and ambition I can understand but expectation isn’t going to change in 3 months, 2 transfers, even a run undefeated.

I also cannot agree with, the notion we’ve played largely awful! 

I cant state that enough. We are marginally away from being a top 6 team. That’s with some limited players and difficult fixtures. Arguably only certain decisions and mistakes away from being in the play offs, as the drop points from winning positions suggests.

The master plan for me seems obvious too. Build a young squad with room to improve, add the right players when they become available. Get an identity back, a team with spirit and fight that the town can be proud of.

Tony has already largely achieved that - in 18 months. I’m quite sure the legend Bobby Robson would’ve seen the job TM has done and give him the credit you cannot afford him.

Good football “people” like Gary and TM are the sole reason we aren’t languishing in the fourth tier or worse after the damage done by those “managers” who could never be described as “proper football men” messers Kean and Coyle.

They aren’t dining out on an image, they’re dining out on our clubs money via contract pay outs.

• Like 1

You are talking far too much sense here Biz.  You must try harder to get into the gloom and doom mood. 

I totally agree with much of what you say.  Far from awful, I've really enjoyed most of the games this season and been impressed with some of the football that we are trying to play.  Of course, there are players who will gradually be replaced - Mowbray said that himself last month.  

Most of my friends believe we are heading in the right direction with exactly the right manager at the helm and have enjoyed their football again over the last eighteen months or so.  There is a positive vibe about the club - something that has been missing for a long time.

I was very happy that the owners signed Mowbray up on a long term contract as it gives him the time to build the club up from the foundations.

At long last the manager, players, club officials and owners are finally on the same page, along with the majority of the fanbase.  Long may it continue

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

You are talking far too much sense here Biz.  You must try harder to get into the gloom and doom mood. 

I totally agree with much of what you say.  Far from awful, I've really enjoyed most of the games this season and been impressed with some of the football that we are trying to play.  Of course, there are players who will gradually be replaced - Mowbray said that himself last month.  

Most of my friends believe we are heading in the right direction with exactly the right manager at the helm and have enjoyed their football again over the last eighteen months or so.  There is a positive vibe about the club - something that has been missing for a long time.

I was very happy that the owners signed Mowbray up on a long term contract as it gives him the time to build the club up from the foundations.

At long last the manager, players, club officials and owners are finally on the same page, along with the majority of the fanbase.  Long may it continue

This will be lapped up by half the messageboard but its peddling a load of old rubbish that isnt true.

Most of my friends believe we are heading in the right direction with exactly the right manager at the helm - so do most of the people on this messageboard, contrary to what some would suggest, very, very few people (Mercer and jim i think are the only 2 I know who have insinuated it) that arent happy with Mowbray in charge. Very much the minority.

I was very happy that the owners signed Mowbray up on a long term contract - again, see above, so are the majority on here.

impressed with some of the football that we are trying to play - in terms of results, ie the important part, we are about where we should be, and Mowbray has done a good job. Aesthetically, less so, we are very direct, play the most long balls in the league and often rely on set pieces to score.

there are players who will gradually be replaced - Mowbray said that himself last month - agree that it needs to happen, some feel that perhaps it is happening too slowly in terms of too much loyalty afforded to the likes of Smallwood and Armstrong, with some of his own signings (Rothwell, Palmer, Rodwell, Brereton) yet to be consistently incorporated into his team.

Lets not go down the route of perceiving criticism of certain aspects to be an overall unhappiness with Mowbray or the direction that the club is going in under him. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

In the next two windows if we have aspirations to push for top six we need a right back, left back, centre back, two wingers, Reed on a permanent and a striker.

We didn't make much progress in July/August did we on that basis?

Compared to the last time we were in the Championship this season has been infinitely better and we have a manager who at least seems to have a roadmap for the future that he believes and more crucially the Venky's believe in.  With a squad that is not one of the strongest in the league we are  at present well clear of relegation worries and pushing towards a top 10 finish, hopefully the scouts that have been working hard can help to bring in a couple of players that improves us and then we can do the same in the Summer and evolve our squad.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Compared to the last time we were in the Championship this season has been infinitely better and we have a manager who at least seems to have a roadmap for the future that he believes and more crucially the Venky's believe in.  With a squad that is not one of the strongest in the league we are  at present well clear of relegation worries and pushing towards a top 10 finish, hopefully the scouts that have been working hard can help to bring in a couple of players that improves us and then we can do the same in the Summer and evolve our squad.

Would these players who could improve us ever get a game?

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why is 25 million pounds for Dack dreamland? Grealish was 40 mil and Dack outshone him at Ewood Park plus has Grealish produce goals and assists like Dack at this level. 

I wouldn't be replacing Evans any time either. key part of the plan going forward. 

Rothwell should be playing so I would agree. 

No Mowbray is building a team to get us promote but we are in our 1st season after promotion and haven't the expectations level gone up massively. 

what was your season prediction before the season started? was it top 6? 

@Biz response to the Souness was spot on and yet again Stuart Football management have gone on since 2003 and lets not the mess we were in when he left us. 

very true

hasn't Mowbray and Waggott already said Dack isn't leaving in January?

I agree on Davenport. 

we need a centre back in aswell. Think Bauer will sign in the 1st 2 weeks of the window

Nixon mention Braithwaite from Boro on loan. I would be after him on loan. 

Braithwaite would be a class signing, he’s a real player. Boro fans want him playing but he’s fell out with Pulis by all accounts... Villa were wanting 30/40 million for Grealish so that’s probably why he’s still there. Nobody would pay that for him, the reality is he’ll probably go for 10-20 million and the same goes for Dack. It’s very unlikely we’d get much more than 20 for him Chaddy. 

• Like 1

Summer 2018: We needed a big nasty centre half, a ball winning midfielder at least one wide man and at least one striker.  Reed has been the only success but he's being utilised out of position, is only on loan and I doubt he'll be our player next season.

January 2019: We still need virtually the same as in the summer i.e. a big nasty centre half,  at least one wide man and at least one striker.

Let's hope we do a lot better this time round and that if we do sign anyone else they get a chance.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2018 at 14:33, chaddyrovers said:

Reed is quality and I think he is good at getting forward. Thought he scored today until Camp great save. 

I rated Rothwell very highly. I would be tempted to play him wide left and Reed/Evans in centre midfield for Norwich game

Rothwell is too adventurous for Tony more forward passes than sideways or backwawards and that just won't do.

• Like 1

I'm not getting to excited about this window. We will more than likely bring one in on loan and then hear the it isn't the best time of year to be buying players with inflated prices and we will revisit in the summer. We've got a good set of lads who know what I expect from them and young Travis and Joe are chomping at the bit. etc etc. 

If someone does come in it will take him til pre season learn " tonys way". Answers on a postcard if anyone knows what that is.

I don't envisage much happening in January. I suspect we'll get the 5 weeks of Nixon/Sky propelled Dack stuff but I'd be surprised if we sold him before the summer, unless he kicks up a fuss.

Assuming he doesn't go I don't think there'll be much in the kitty for permanent transfers and would also expect Mowbray would prefer to keep going with what we have and keep his power dry until the summer.

We might get a loan or two to bolster the ranks, particularly if one or two are allowed to leave. It wouldn't surprise me to see Palmer depart as he appears to be out of favour, doesn't really have a role in the team and Chelsea won't be happy if he's not featuring. Clearly the plan for Nuttall and Travis is for them to go out on loan but I think that would be a risk unless we got people in first given the lack of numbers. Also need to be careful about where they go rather than just to the first club around as it hasn't really done any of the others much good this season in terms of game time.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I don't envisage much happening in January. I suspect we'll get the 5 weeks of Nixon/Sky propelled Dack stuff but I'd be surprised if we sold him before the summer, unless he kicks up a fuss.

Assuming he doesn't go I don't think there'll be much in the kitty for permanent transfers and would also expect Mowbray would prefer to keep going with what we have and keep his power dry until the summer.

We might get a loan or two to bolster the ranks, particularly if one or two are allowed to leave. It wouldn't surprise me to see Palmer depart as he appears to be out of favour, doesn't really have a role in the team and Chelsea won't be happy if he's not featuring. Clearly the plan for Nuttall and Travis is for them to go out on loan but I think that would be a risk unless we got people in first given the lack of numbers. Also need to be careful about where they go rather than just to the first club around as it hasn't really done any of the others much good this season in terms of game time.

You said the same during the summer , alllll summer :) 

• Like 1

Call me a conspiracy theorist but something doesn't sit right with me on the Davenport deal. I'll leave it at that but I'll be surprised if we see him in the first team. File in the tray along with forgotten man Gladwin.

I think my predictions in the summer were by and large correct with the exception that at the 11th hour we unexpectedly went out and did the Brereton deal. As time goes by that piece of business seems to become more baffling. Other than that we were largely restricted to low cost transfers the vast majority of whom have had negligible impact on the team. Reed and arguably Armstrong the exceptions but Rodwell, Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer not really living up to the hype.

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We signed many other players. How they are being used is a seperate issue. 

I'm not sure it is. If we sign a load but none are good enough or ready to play for us then I'd question the point in signing them and therefore how successful the window was. Reed a big plus (albeit could depart very soon), Armstrong happy with, Brereton I was happy with but now I'm not so sure due to a lack of involvement in the team, the others - Rodwell, Rothwell, Davenport, Palmer - have done very little.

If Mowbray is now saying that we might be looking at the loan market in January then i'm seriously confused. The Brereton signing isn't that bad if like we all assumed there was more money to come. It also seems that Mowbray is looking for another Striker which again is confusing seen as the 2 strikers he bought last window usually get shunted out wide or don't play. Did Mowbray miss out on Gallagher and sign Brereton because the money was their for him? (my current working theory on Brereton is that they rated him and think he's one for the future but maybe he's going through a late growth spurt and they are trying to manage his playing time and fitness work.)

If we only had that money to spend then it clearly would've been better spent elsewhere.

Did Mowbray envisage switching to a 3-4-1-2 ?

I'm having serious doubts that there is a master plan behind all this. But it's by no means over we've still got 2 windows left to sort this out

Rothwell needs a run of games, i'll keep saying this until it happens. He has showed some promise with very little actual playing time, give him a run on the left wing until the end of January see how he gets on. If he doesn't nail the slot down then so be it.

We are never going to get promoted with Evans and Smallwood as a cm partnership. Reed needs to be playing in there with either of them for the time being. Davenport needs game time after xmas to see if he's up to the standard.

We could do with experience cover for Raya, he's been quite as good since his facial injury but I wouldn't go splurging the budget on a 2nd choice keeper. Nyambe needs to step up another level could he do with a natural right back to challenge him?

Play Travis or loan him out. Same with Nuttall. Both have shown signs of potential but have both stagnated by not playing.

Armstrong isn't a winger and never will be despite his goal at the weekend. 

Neither Williams or Bell are good enough, get a new left back and keep one as back up (i'm not bothered which).

Palmer will probably go back and release money in wages for us to sign a proper winger. If that person is Chapman then don't expect to make any impact this season. I think we are crying out for a proper wide player and would be a priority for me.

Another centre back is the other priority. Downing isn't up to standard, so far the Rodwell at centre back experiment has failed. If we are going to play 4 at the back then we need to increase the quality of the back line.

I think we should be looking at 3 signings in January, a winger, a centre back and a left back. Sort those out first then readdress the other problems in the summer window.

• Like 4