BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

If Mowbray is now saying that we might be looking at the loan market in January then i'm seriously confused. The Brereton signing isn't that bad if like we all assumed there was more money to come. It also seems that Mowbray is looking for another Striker which again is confusing seen as the 2 strikers he bought last window usually get shunted out wide or don't play. Did Mowbray miss out on Gallagher and sign Brereton because the money was their for him? (my current working theory on Brereton is that they rated him and think he's one for the future but maybe he's going through a late growth spurt and they are trying to manage his playing time and fitness work.)

If we only had that money to spend then it clearly would've been better spent elsewhere.

Did Mowbray envisage switching to a 3-4-1-2 ?

I'm having serious doubts that there is a master plan behind all this. But it's by no means over we've still got 2 windows left to sort this out

Rothwell needs a run of games, i'll keep saying this until it happens. He has showed some promise with very little actual playing time, give him a run on the left wing until the end of January see how he gets on. If he doesn't nail the slot down then so be it.

We are never going to get promoted with Evans and Smallwood as a cm partnership. Reed needs to be playing in there with either of them for the time being. Davenport needs game time after xmas to see if he's up to the standard.

We could do with experience cover for Raya, he's been quite as good since his facial injury but I wouldn't go splurging the budget on a 2nd choice keeper. Nyambe needs to step up another level could he do with a natural right back to challenge him?

Play Travis or loan him out. Same with Nuttall. Both have shown signs of potential but have both stagnated by not playing.

Armstrong isn't a winger and never will be despite his goal at the weekend. 

Neither Williams or Bell are good enough, get a new left back and keep one as back up (i'm not bothered which).

Palmer will probably go back and release money in wages for us to sign a proper winger. If that person is Chapman then don't expect to make any impact this season. I think we are crying out for a proper wide player and would be a priority for me.

Another centre back is the other priority. Downing isn't up to standard, so far the Rodwell at centre back experiment has failed. If we are going to play 4 at the back then we need to increase the quality of the back line.

I think we should be looking at 3 signings in January, a winger, a centre back and a left back. Sort those out first then readdress the other problems in the summer window.

Agree with most of that.

I think Tony wants to play 3-5-2 with Dack in behind two strikers, but we have the problem of being one centre half and a left wing back short. 

I prefer the wing back formation as it gets 2 up top, and would allow a little more adventure in the middle of the park. 

Reed-----Evans

------Dack------

Would be my three.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Agree with most of that.

I think Tony wants to play 3-5-2 with Dack in behind two strikers, but we have the problem of being one centre half and a left wing back short. 

I prefer the wing back formation as it gets 2 up top, and would allow a little more adventure in the middle of the park. 

Reed-----Evans

------Dack------

Would be my three.

If Tony wants to go to 3 at the back then we would have to go after 2 wing backs. I don't think Nyambe is good enough going forward to do that role although he is athletic enough, Bennett has got the energy and can whip crosses in but might be quick enough. Williams is obviously a no out there and Bell isn't up to standard.

It could help us transition to being more of a passing team but without the right players I don't think it would work

Quite like what you've suggested in midfield. If we were to pivot towards that formation could go with something like

Raya

Lenihan       Mulgrew      One Of*                                      *Rodwell, Nyambe, Williams

Bennett           Evans             Reed           New Left Wing Back

Dack

Graham     Armstrong

We'd have to try push teams higher up the pitch and keep that pressing game.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stuart said:

It comes down to ambition and expectations.

How can we spend £7m on one player and our expectations of that player not increase? How can our ambition for the club not increase? Yet both are being shot down. Apparently there is some master plan. I don’t see it, I just see another absolutely autonomous manager answerable to the owners and not the chief exec. Mowbray continues to dine out on his ‘proper football man’ image, a cut-price Bobby Robson. Because of this it’s entirely possible he will be here until he walks as people make excuses. As a man I think he is great, as a manager I think he is limited.

My worry with Mowbray is that he is stubbornly sticking with players that we know we need to improve on. Our performances in the Championship this season have been, by and large, awful. If you don’t move forward then you go backwards. We found out the hard way by sticking with Bowyer for too long. We are about to make the same mistake again and some fans are happy to watch it all happen again.

And I don’t need to google it, I remember it. Signing Yorke was one of the worst things Souness did. Playboy with a bad attitude and he ruined a re-born Andrew Cole in the process. I’m not surprised someone went after him.

What the actual f**k is this? A limited manager who’s turned the club round and currently has us mid table in a league where we have one of the smallest budgets!!?

WOW! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

where we have one of the smallest budgets!!?

How many other clubs spent £10 million net in the summer?

No doubt our finances are some way behind the likes of Derby, Forest, Villa etc. but if I were a betting man I'd say they were some way ahead of many of the clubs currently below us. Sheffield Wednesday an exception but the rest I reckon will be similar to us.

Not a Mowbray bash by any measure I agree he's done and continues to do a decent job in tough circumstances but I don't think it is entirely accurate to say we've one of the smallest budgets in this league.

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

What the actual f**k is this? A limited manager who’s turned the club round and currently has us mid table in a league where we have one of the smallest budgets!!?

WOW! 

He had the best squad in League One and finished second. He has had a good start to the season and may even have peaked. Let’s see.

You seem to think you’re pretty authoritative on this board because you used to play a bit, and now scout, is that right?

If so, get used to the idea that us inferior lay-people have opinions too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How many other clubs spent £10 million net in the summer?

No doubt our finances are some way behind the likes of Derby, Forest, Villa etc. but if I were a betting man I'd say they were some way ahead of many of the clubs currently below us. Sheffield Wednesday an exception but the rest I reckon will be similar to us.

Not a Mowbray bash by any measure I agree he's done and continues to do a decent job in tough circumstances but I don't think it is entirely accurate to say we've one of the smallest budgets in this league.

Do you think we’ve spent £10m net? You do realise that most transfer fees are spread over the length of a contract. I’d be surprised if £1.5m has gone out in transfer fees since May 2018.

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He had the best squad in League One and finished second. He has had a good start to the season and may even have peaked. Let’s see.

You seem to think you’re pretty authoritative on this board because you used to play a bit, and now scout, is that right?

If so, get used to the idea that us inferior lay-people have opinions too.

Whatever mate. You just referred to Mowbray as a limited manager which officially makes you clueless. The end.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Do you think we’ve spent £10m net? You do realise that most transfer fees are spread over the length of a contract. I’d be surprised if £1.5m has gone out in transfer fees since May 2018.

I'm not saying we've paid the money out. We've signed the players and committed to the fees. Most clubs in this league haven't got to that level.

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not saying we've paid the money out. We've signed the players and committed to the fees. Most clubs in this league haven't got to that level.

Ok, I accept we’ve committed to those fees over the next few years mate but the budget is agreed annually and inclusive of wages and staff I’d say we will be in the bottom 5 teams in the division. Which is pretty normal when you’ve just been promoted.

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ok, I accept we’ve committed to those fees over the next few years mate but the budget is agreed annually and inclusive of wages and staff I’d say we will be in the bottom 5 teams in the division. Which is pretty normal when you’ve just been promoted.

I'm sure I read we are about mid-table for wages. Can't remember the source though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Whatever mate. You just referred to Mowbray as a limited manager which officially makes you clueless. The end.

“Whatever mate”. You do this a lot when someone calls you out.

“Limited” is exactly the right word to describe him. He won the Championship with a PL squad (and budget) 10 years ago. His list of achievements mirrors I have been stopped from posting this by moderators Coyle. Coyle’s (although Coyle managed the feat in Scotland too).

He was relegated with West Brom, Rovers (not his fault but didn’t still didn’t do enough) and de facto relegated Coventry. He was sacked by Celtic after 9 months. 

Mowbray needed Blackburn Rovers as much as we needed a man we could all trust after Coyle. It was a good match and by having the best squad and biggest budget he achieved the required target and decided winning the league wasn’t important. I stick by my assessment that he is a good man and a limited manager. There’s no disgrace in that. But the chances of him getting us promoted, despite having a better than average transfer kitty are low, in my view. If we had someone of Warnock’s experience and ruthlessness (for example - as my Souness example was hard for some to comprehend) then we might have a chance. Nobody would be more delighted than me if Mowbray won the play-offs at Rovers but nice guys rarely do well (long term) in football.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You have no idea what Rovers budget is.

Neither do I.

Neither does Mowbray who within the past week said he did not know if we were buying or loaning in January.

2 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Agree with most of that.

Reed-----Evans

------Dack------

Would be my three.

I dont think he has hardly if ever played 3-5-2 has he? When he played 3 at the back we tended to play 2 off Graham, i recall the 2 being Dack and Armstrong against Bury for example.

I think we could play the trio you suggested in the formation we already play. Either way, our weakness at the moment lies wide. Our full backs are weaknesses and our wide men dont contribute enough. Our full backs are either very conservative ie Nyambe and Williams or just shite ie Bell.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

WOW! 

Please can we stop with the infactual comments implying that we are minnow in this league.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16986757.were-mid-table-for-wages-rovers-ceo-waggott/

“I would think we’re probably, league wise, 10th to 16th in terms of wage bills from talking to other clubs." So thats from Waggotts mouth, and we are currently 12th. Factor in a net spend of what must be close to if not 8 figures and the poverty line becomes a bit worthless. We are this season about where we should be I would suggest.

He failed his first (difficult task) to keep us up but he did very well to "turn us around" last season and get us back into this league. He has overall done a good job, thats for sure. But lets not pretend where we are in the table is a miraculous achievement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Mid-table was what Waggott disclosed. https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16986757.were-mid-table-for-wages-rovers-ceo-waggott/

We were also about 5th in the Championship net transfer spend table this summer.

You're officially clueless mate. WOW! 

• Like 4

Here’s my reading of the summer transfers and the Jan priorities:

Rodwell - long shot bet with big upside

Reed - Sign in January

Rothwell - signed as a Payne replacement i.e. cover for Dack (who is never injured or dropped, but we need cover).

Davenport - TBC

Palmer - southern softie, return to sender.

Armstrong - A bust. Not big or strong enough to lead the line and we won’t be playing 4-4-2 till we replace half the team.

Brereton - I’ve been willing to give him time but his demeanour waiting to come on Saturday infuriated me: shivering, blowing into his hands, he looked more like Billy Caspar in Kes than a professional.

Needs: Glen Keeley, Windy Miller, Howard Kendall, Simon Garner

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

If Tony wants to go to 3 at the back then we would have to go after 2 wing backs. I don't think Nyambe is good enough going forward to do that role although he is athletic enough, Bennett has got the energy and can whip crosses in but might be quick enough. Williams is obviously a no out there and Bell isn't up to standard.

It could help us transition to being more of a passing team but without the right players I don't think it would work

Quite like what you've suggested in midfield. If we were to pivot towards that formation could go with something like

Raya

Lenihan       Mulgrew      One Of*                                      *Rodwell, Nyambe, Williams

Bennett           Evans             Reed           New Left Wing Back

Dack

Graham     Armstrong

We'd have to try push teams higher up the pitch and keep that pressing game.

I agree with your idea. It would allow us 2 up front and Dack in the 10 role. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think he has hardly if ever played 3-5-2 has he? When he played 3 at the back we tended to play 2 off Graham, i recall the 2 being Dack and Armstrong against Bury for example.

I think we could play the trio you suggested in the formation we already play. Either way, our weakness at the moment lies wide. Our full backs are weaknesses and our wide men dont contribute enough. Our full backs are either very conservative ie Nyambe and Williams or just shite ie Bell.

I agree we are weakness wide in our 4-2-3-1. 

Played 2 up in the second half at Portsmouth to win us the game. 

You could play this way

Raya

Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew

Bennett     Reed     Evans       Bell

Dack      Rothwell

Graham

With that personal could easy move into.4-2-3-1 formation if we wish. 

Or if we want 2 up front. Drop Rothwell and play either Brereton or Armstrong up front. 

What do you think? 

Or if Dack does go in the summer we not play 4-3-3

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew new LB

Bennett Rodwell Rothwell

New winger                       Armstrong

Brereton/Graham

What do you think? 

Thanks in advance @roversfan99 for answering the questions 

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Chapman, Baur an A.N.Other (probably a loanee) is about as much as I can see us doing in January.

Anything else would be a bonus.

I agree. 

Gallagher on loan. 

Bauer for 300k-500k

Chapman..

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with your idea. It would allow us 2 up front and Dack in the 10 role. 

I agree we are weakness wide in our 4-2-3-1. 

Played 2 up in the second half at Portsmouth to win us the game. 

You could play this way

Raya

Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew

Bennett     Reed     Evans       Bell

Dack      Rothwell

Graham

With that personal could easy move into.4-2-3-1 formation if we wish. 

Or if we want 2 up front. Drop Rothwell and play either Brereton or Armstrong up front. 

What do you think? 

I agree. 

Gallagher on loan. 

Bauer for 300k-500k

Chapman..

Not for me at all. Firstly, every time weve played 3 at the back before, its not worked.

Furthermore, any formation with Rodwell in defence and Bell in the team is a firm no from me! Bennett isnt a wing back either.

I also think them 3 signings would be underwhelming and show a total lack of imagination from the scouting system and from Mowbray.

We need a winger to come into the team, not onto the bench as Mowbray has stated he would before, plus his injuries make him a no go from me.

Gallagher I dont rate, hes not strong enough to be a focal point and it would bring the Brereton signing into even more disrepute to bring in another lanky, flimsy, lightweight striker on a loan deal to go ahead of Brereton in the pecking order.

Bauer has spent a lot of the season injured.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not for me at all. Firstly, every time weve played 3 at the back before, its not worked.

Furthermore, any formation with Rodwell in defence and Bell in the team is a firm no from me! Bennett isnt a wing back either.

I also think them 3 signings would be underwhelming and show a total lack of imagination from the scouting system and from Mowbray.

We need a winger to come into the team, not onto the bench as Mowbray has stated he would before, plus his injuries make him a no go from me.

Gallagher I dont rate, hes not strong enough to be a focal point and it would bring the Brereton signing into even more disrepute to bring in another lanky, flimsy, lightweight striker on a loan deal to go ahead of Brereton in the pecking order.

Bauer has spent a lot of the season injured.

Bauer got a knee injury and miss 9 games. Played the last 5 games which they win 4 of. 

A back 3 would work with those 3 in it. Plus we could press higher and pass out from the back. Said Bell until.we signed a new left wing back. Bennett I think as a wing back would be good move. Has the energy to get up and down the pitch. Plus played there for Bristol City. 

Thats the 3 players Ive expecting us to sign. 

What about the 4-3-3 line up? 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn are ready to send midfielder Lewis Travis out on loan in January with Portsmouth, Blackpool, Wycombe, Plymouth and Lincoln all keen on his signature. #Rovers #Pompey #wycombewanderers #pafc #bfc  #Imps https://t.co/Mg8fpXL35x

I certainly wouldn't be sending him to Lincoln given the lack of football they have given Wharton plus Travis is to good for League 2. If he is going to play there then Portsmouth would be a great move for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bauer got a knee injury and miss 9 games. Played the last 5 games which they win 4 of. 

A back 3 would work with those 3 in it. Plus we could press higher and pass out from the back. Said Bell until.we signed a new left wing back. Bennett I think as a wing back would be good move. Has the energy to get up and down the pitch. Plus played there for Bristol City. 

Thats the 3 players Ive expecting us to sign. 

What about the 4-3-3 line up? 

Rodwell is never a centre back in a million years so I disagree. 

Im not convinced, wonder if theres an element of lazy journalism assuming we will re-sign players we have had in the past.

4-3-3 would mean Dack wouldnt be in the side so no to that, we cannot break up or interfere with the Graham and Dack partnership.

I dont think that there is a problem with playing 4-2-3-1 and it certainly doesnt have to incorporate the current direct, long ball, percentage based football that we currently play.

We just need to make sure that we upgrade upon some of the players down the sides, ie at full back and out wide.

Mowbray also needs to trust and get the most out of his summer signings, notably moving Reed central, playing Rodwell more often (solely as a midfielder) and also by giving Palmer and in particular Rothwell more of a chance, especially to nail down the left of the 3 behind Graham. A direct right winger for the other side as a starter and that would have the potential to be much more threatening.