BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

8 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I also wonder if a winger would make a huge difference to the team, as an outlet, for widening the pitch, enhanced creativity and enabling other more suitable midfielders to play inside. We're so narrow it's untrue. Another benefit would be it takes pressure off the full backs to attack and defend.

Remember Doeuf? Carried the ball from defence to beyond the halfway line? Always got a free kick or a thrown-in!! Team had chance to draw breath and reorganise itself.

Absolutely invaluable asset especially in the last few minutes!

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, Blue Cabbage said:

Is it just me who remembers that Hanley was a bloody liability?

Not saying we don't need a centre half but I wouldn't be bringing bear head back

Hanley always needed a smarter, cooler head beside him to be fully effective. I think that's why he's ended up back in the Championship rather than making the step up to the PL. Hasn't quite got everything he needs mentally to be a top player. He was a good centre back for us when his big head was on straight though. Mulgrew could be a good fit beside him.

• Like 4

On 21/12/2018 at 04:00, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17312396.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-keen-to-add-to-squad-in-january/

'The boss doesn’t expect many additions next month, believing the summer window is the best time to mould his squad'

AKA he's spunked all the transfer kitty on BB? 

Sounds ominius.  Anyway the 1st is right round the corner have we heard anything  about us being linked with anyone?

8 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Hanley back on loan?

Was thinking this before I read he might be available, never my favourite geezer but he was decent when he was fit and focused and could just be the lump we need although I think there might be a bit of an ego problem with Grant.

He had all the tools to be a top championship defender but something is clearly amiss with him.

7 hours ago, AAK said:

This time two years ago under Coyle, we'd conceded 40 goals, the exact same as this season, have we really improved since then at championship level? I'd argue not. The defence is the exact same, same players, same errors and same awful defending. Back then I would argue we had a better forward line to with Gallagher, Emnes and Graham, with the addition of Joao also. Central midfield is the same, Evans and a dolloper at the side of him (was Lowe, now Smallwood). We've still got poor or no wingers. What's changed?

Logic dictates that teams that have more stoppers on the field should concede less from open play, surely that's why it's done....or is it just to accommodate favourites ?

5 hours ago, Blue Cabbage said:

Is it just me who remembers that Hanley was a bloody liability?

Not saying we don't need a centre half but I wouldn't be bringing bear head back

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

god not Hanley 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Was thinking this before I read he might be available, never my favourite geezer but he was decent when he was fit and focused and could just be the lump we need although I think there might be a bit of an ego problem with Grant.

He had all the tools to be a top championship defender but something is clearly amiss with him.

Why do our supporters have such negative opinions of him? If only we had him now.

Was superb towards the end of his stay here when he really came of age, culminating in deservedly winning player of the season. His move to Newcastle didnt work out but he still got a title winners medal and his move to Norwich has been a very successful one, finishing runner up to Maddison in their player of the year award last season.

No way that Norwich will loan him out so think its a moot conversation but still.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Logic dictates that teams that have more stoppers on the field should concede less from open play, surely that's why it's done....or is it just to accommodate favourites ?

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Thing I would go with the latter, Tomphil. Do you agree pal?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do our supporters have such negative opinions of him? If only we had him now.

Was superb towards the end of his stay here when he really came of age, culminating in deservedly winning player of the season. His move to Newcastle didnt work out but he still got a title winners medal and his move to Norwich has been a very successful one, finishing runner up to Maddison in their player of the year award last season.

No way that Norwich will loan him out so think its a moot conversation but still.

He's their club captain isn't he? Can't see him leaving on that basis alone. Additionally they are only one injury/suspension away from needing him. I am sure he won't mind being on the bench for a team that is second in the league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Lost his way and his focus here but regained near the end when he knew there was interest and regained his form. Player wise he's more than good enough for a midtable side and I think someone of his type is just what is missing from our defence at the min. There was always a threat at the other end from him as well for corners etc.

Edited by tomphil

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Really think absence has made the heart grow fonder on this one, must be because we have had so much rubbish since. He is a big lumbering oaf of a player, always prone for giving away pens/free kicks, needed a week to turn whenever we played a nippy striker, wasn’t fast, in fact only thing he was goodfor was getting his big square heed on a ball in the air. Had to suffer his performances for Blackburn and Scotland way too much. Give me a Michael Keane or a minus last 2 months Shane Duffy before grunt anyday

5 hours ago, AAK said:

He's their club captain isn't he? Can't see him leaving on that basis alone. Additionally they are only one injury/suspension away from needing him. I am sure he won't mind being on the bench for a team that is second in the league.

He is indeed their captain and only last month signed a new five year contract. Having conceded 7 in their last 2 games you'd have thought he may well be back in the team soon.

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Is this based on something that Nixon suggested? Seems unlikely; Hanley has just returned from injury and has been playing in the U23s to get his fitness back up. Sounds like he'll be back in Norwich's starting XI imminently.

Nothing to see here.

I read it in paper. Think it was the sun so maybe it was Nixon. Not exactly concrete granted but could be something in it and worth an enquiry