BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

if Chapman is fit for half of the remaining games this season, it will be a good loan deal. Not having high hopes on this based on his injury records, but certainly happy if he's back. Dack, Armstrong, Graham and him looked great as an attacking quartet last season.

I don't think that four ever played in the same team.

Chapman is out of contract in the summer, and TM mentioned him fairly recently at the supporters consultation, and Boro have just signed another winger so you would think this one will probably happen if we want it too.

Bauer is an interesting one, on paper he looks exactly what we need, can't say I have seen too much of him though.

I don't think we'll be signing a left back, I think TM will want to run with Bell and hopefully we'll see an improvement, thought he was better on Tuesday. I would certainly be looking at a right back to come in and add depth there, we can't keep putting Bennett out there when Nyambe is out.

Other than that, the main two pieces of business I want to see is Dack staying, and Travis not going out on loan and signing a new contract here.

• Like 2

Friend of mine who is a Blackpool supporter saw him play a Bloomfield road a couple of weeks ago.

Reported that you would prefer to be playing with him rather than against you.  Which I read as being a big uncompromising defender and just what we need.

13 hours ago, steelcityblue said:

Got to be careful going for a ‘big nasty centrehalf’. Most aren’t the quickest and neither is Charlie. We’d be better  at dealing with balls in the box but shredded by a nippy striker. IMV that’s why TM likes Lenihan so much as he has aggression and pace. Unfortunately he’s also prone to impetuosity. As with so many other aspects  this is a team in evolution with several players growing into  their roles. Would like a Kevin Moran type option but don’t want to impede Lenihan’s progress completely. He’s got great potential and is one of our own home grown. 

Lenihan gets beaten for headers far too easily - it's cost us quite a few goals this season. He's OK at centre back in League One but at this level le looks what he is - a converted midfield player 

• Like 2

The main aim this window is trying to make Reed our player and then hopefully playing him centre mid with travis

2 proper grafters who are pretty good on the ball also.

The better we can make our midfield, the less reliant we will be on Graham as hopefully we wont be going direct as much as we do. We can hopefully then start trying to pass through the lines a bit more.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

if Chapman is fit for half of the remaining games this season, it will be a good loan deal. Not having high hopes on this based on his injury records, but certainly happy if he's back. Dack, Armstrong, Graham and him looked great as an attacking quartet last season.

Did they even all play together?

29 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

The main aim this window is trying to make Reed our player and then hopefully playing him centre mid with travis

We would all love this but lets be realistic, it isn't going to happen.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

We would all love this but lets be realistic, it isn't going to happen.

Im not convinced. I think TM is reluctant to upset starters with loan players. I think if Reed was our player then it would be different.

With Travis I think he has an old school mentality of trying to keep them really hungry by letting them dip their feet, then taking them out.

I think sat proved travis is quite a cut above smallwood and TM clearly will see that to.

Lenihen still has time on his side and he's still developing we need to remember that and centre backs can bloom late 20's onwards but it does hamper the team a bit. A huge part of their game particularly at this level is trying to dominate the air but neither of our first choices do that well enough imo and it's a big reason we concede so many from those central positions in the box.

Swings and roundabouts though because it's hard to get the balance right as when we had Hanley and Duffy they got done on the deck from open play too easily at times but repelled a lot in the air. Still let in too many from set pieces considering their attributes but a lot of that was down to the weak keeper then and too many crosses came in because the full backs, particularly RB's got swapped about all the time.

My ideal window would be Reed on a permanent even if it means dipping into the summer budget, a big dominating centre back and a pacey winger on permanents. Then in the loan market a striker and If Nyambe is going to be out for any length of time then a right back. There would still be work needed to be done in the summer but this would fill someone positions that we are light in and we would get them integrated into the team for a big season next season.

Don't think there's much, If any, prospect of us getting Reed on a permanent in January. I fail to see what incentive Southampton would have to agree to that at this stage with their Premier League status in doubt. Surely at best they will be happy to leave Reed here until the summer and then consider the position then when everyone knows where they are going to be. IF Southampton survive and we stay in the Championship then I think a permanent deal would be possible but would cost money, like any decent player will do these days. If, however, Southampton get relegated I'm sure Reed would feature in their plans as a ready made quality Championship player.

The only way this is likely to change is if Southampton want him back in January to have a look at him with a view to him playing for them in their relegation run-in.

My focus would be ensuring he stays here until the end of the season and spend the next few months saving up and whispering in his ear about a permanent deal in the summer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Don't think there's much, If any, prospect of us getting Reed on a permanent in January. I fail to see what incentive Southampton would have to agree to that at this stage with their Premier League status in doubt. Surely at best they will be happy to leave Reed here until the summer and then consider the position then when everyone knows where they are going to be. IF Southampton survive and we stay in the Championship then I think a permanent deal would be possible but would cost money, like any decent player will do these days. If, however, Southampton get relegated I'm sure Reed would feature in their plans as a ready made quality Championship player.

Personally I don't think Reed is ever going to be a regular feature at Southampton if he was going to be he probably would be by now. As for what incentive would they have to sell him the answer is simple money. The new manager will want a budget to bring his own players in so I'm sure he'd be delighted to get money for a player that he has probably never even seen play and is not in his plans.  

7 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

image.png.8acbc6054ead4aced7d81aa8d590c632.png

YES!

It's great to see we've done all the business early so we don't end up having to make  some overly desperate last day deals (as in August).

Onwards to mid-table mediocrity we go (ps - half season tickets still available).

Bauer looked good at The Valley last season. He was against Samuel for most of the game though and we wasted enough chances to probably win that game.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t believe we will get reed even if he was to leave Southampton, I reckon they would want 7-8 mill in todays market and we wouldn’t have that to spend again after Ben 

Hypothetical quandary - Soton agree to transfer Reed and Austin to Rovers as makeweights in a deal for Dack,  plus Rovers to get £3M cash and Sims on loan.  Would you??