BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Brad Potts linked with Preston. Liked him at Blackpool and looked okay in the championship for Barnsley, we could do worse. Granted other positions are more of a concern but one I’d be monitoring.

17 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

See we are linked with Henegan fro Sheffield Utd currently on loan at Blackpool.

looked at him before but worried he has not made very many appearances at Blackpool

He's played 28 games this season according to transfermarkt? Looks a big lad.

39 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

See we are linked with Henegan fro Sheffield Utd currently on loan at Blackpool.

looked at him before but worried he has not made very many appearances at Blackpool

Was he the one we were linked with late last summer before Downing come in? 

14 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Was he the one we were linked with late last summer before Downing come in? 

Yes, nicked off us as we wouldn’t sell them Darragh.

Is he good enough to displace Lenihan? If not I don't see the point of wasting money on transfer fees and wages. Thought Rodwell was his back up centre half. Then you've got Downing as well.

I'd rather take the best talent from league 1 and spend an extra bit of money.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Anyone mentioned Shane Long on loan?

Out of favour at Southampton and can play on his own up front and also has pace. He'd be ideal.

Would rather take Sam Gallagher on a permanent if possible. Younger. Proven in the division and if he does well, then a much higher sell on value. That seems to be the model we are deploying with our signings and he fits the bill.

58 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Anyone mentioned Shane Long on loan?

Out of favour at Southampton and can play on his own up front and also has pace. He'd be ideal.

Don’t forget he’s been mentioned to Venky’s before... except they thought sending one of their trusted chicken factory workers to tap Raul up instead.

It’s a funny one this window. I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up significantly weaker at the end of it, ie. Dack-less. Then again, I wouldn’t be surprised if they spent like drunken sailors either... 

Still not overly convinced our set up and transfer policy is going to provide us with what we need on the pitch... and from what he’s said in interviews, I’m not sure Mowbray is either.

51 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Still not overly convinced our set up and transfer policy is going to provide us with what we need on the pitch... and from what he’s said in interviews, I’m not sure Mowbray is either.

For me I think its more the case that TM still sees it as bringing in one or two players to help the ones already here rather than trying to bring in players who will go straight into the team and improve the starting eleven.

A major overhaul is needed if we're going to challenge for promotion in tbe forseeable future not a bit of window dressing and tinkering with the depth of the squad.

Hanley on loan, Wharton recall, a main striker and Chapman would get us through unscathed to the end of the season. Then hopefully the major reconstruction which should have started in the summer can commence.

• Like 4

To be fair Mowbray has reconstructed the whole set up and although sometimes it doesn't feel like we've moved on from the GB days we've got to consider what's happened inbetween. Arguably he started from a weaker point after Venkys, agents, toss pot players along with Coyle & co ruined the good foundations Bowyer had laid so TM has restored us to that point so far with a team that has more bottle and workrate but less overall talent.

Key thing now is he just has to improve the starting 11 and not just bloat the squad and call it strong because it has depth which then results in constant tinkering and rotation just for the sake of using it and justifying it, been there before as well. Build on this thing and improve the team whilst it's there to build on before it gets pulled to bits again for one reason or another.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

We are trying to sign Reed but a lot of other clubs are going to be trying to sign him to.

Deal to be done with Southampton.

We want a striker and a rb no names as yet.

Missed out on a loan sign as Sheffield Utd got him instead.

Will be looking at mostly loans but if deals become available the venkys will consider it. Being closer to the play offs come end of January might allow for more cash to be spent.

Dack has a value that if not ment then no deal to be done. Venkys want to keep him until the summer at then maybe take the cash to reinvest throughout the squad.

Will inform more when I know it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ewoodnews said:

We are trying to sign Reed but a lot of other clubs are going to be trying to sign him to.

Will be looking at mostly loans but if deals become available the venkys will consider it. Being closer to the play offs come end of January might allow for more cash to be spent.

Dack has a value that if not ment then no deal to be done. Venkys want to keep him until the summer at then maybe take the cash to reinvest throughout the squad.

Chapman being mentioned about? 

Who's the loan we missed out on? 

Cheers mate always spot on.

12 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

Rovers are interested in signing Sheffield United defender Ben Heneghan.A 25-year-old centre-back is currently on loan at Blackpool but has made only two appearances for them. (Apologies for txt size)

I've never seen him play but it doesn't sound sensational.

38 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Chapman being mentioned about? 

Who's the loan we missed out on? 

Cheers mate always spot on.

No idea on Chapman, personally would have thought they might just leave that till summer.

I think it was this lad https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11593327/sheffield-united-sign-kieran-dowell-from-everton-on-loan

I suppose he wants to be in a team at the top of the league and they do play the young lads at Sheffield. Some of the loans we had didn't get played much like Harper as an example.

1 hour ago, ewoodnews said:

This is the problem. For me our budget and plans shouldn't really hinge on how far off the play-offs we are in early January. The club and owners should have a plan over the medium to long term and a list of players they want to bring in to work towards that, be it this season or next. Whether we are 7th or 17th. They should have faith in the medium to long term job. By all means if we're on course for promotion chuck some more in to try and get us over the line but business needs to be done either way and we'll never get anywhere if they base their budget on what position we're in. 

E.g. if our last 4 games had been Rotherham, Ipswich, Brentford and Reading and we'd picked up 10 points we'd be on the cusp of the play-offs but might have Leeds, Sheff Utd, WBA and Middlesbrough to come in January. Would they seriously increase the transfer pot after a good Xmas because we had a kind fixture list rather than the tough one we actually had which only saw 3 points from 12 collected?

There's too much ifs, buts and maybes. If we're in contention they'll think about making more cash available. Anyone can see we lack depth and quality in numerous areas so the club should be looking to plug those gaps with the right players. What's the alternative? Don't make money available because we're not in promotion contention? Its a vicious cycle.

If the plan is to focus on loans we aren't going to get anywhere. It's just a patch up job until it has to be revisited in July. Need permanent quality players who are going to improve the team not for 6 months before trotting back to their parent clubs but for 2-3 years as we build upwards.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, ewoodnews said:

No idea on Chapman, personally would have thought they might just leave that till summer.

I think it was this lad https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11593327/sheffield-united-sign-kieran-dowell-from-everton-on-loan

I suppose he wants to be in a team at the top of the league and they do play the young lads at Sheffield. Some of the loans we had didn't get played much like Harper as an example.

The fact that he is an attacking midfielder makes me a little nervous. Unless of course he was just going to be a direct replacement for Palmer rather than somebody else. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11597728/southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-wants-signings-to-suit-his-philosophy

Saints manager wants to reduce the size of his squad but also bring in some signings of his own. You'd imagine that would mean that deals are be there to be made for Reed and Gallagher.

Edited by Ewood Ace

1 hour ago, ewoodnews said:

Striker and RB sounds good but we could really do with a CB - uglier the better.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11597728/southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-wants-signings-to-suit-his-philosophy

Saints manager wants to reduce the size of his squad but also bring some signings of his own. You'd imagine that would mean that deals are be there to be made for Reed and Gallagher.

I would seriously be pulling out all the stops to be bringing in Reed. I would imagine Norwich (after his popular stint there last season) and a few other clubs will be interested in him after his performances for us though. He obviously enjoys it here and just hope that we are constantly whispering in his ear.