BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So can we expect Brereton to improve and integrate into how we play if he isn't given game time? 

You agree with Mowbray about not relying on 19 year olds anyway :) 

the Newcastle game is sandwiched between 2 big league games. Games in which wins will probably mean we will be safe for this season. The Newcastle game is an ideal time to rest Graham. We can still set out to win it 

Newcastle will play their reserves , plus the draw for them is one that hardly excites their fans. The game is ours for the taking. Full strength, with Brereton up top is how I would go. 

The thing is Brereton has not done anywhere near enough in his cameos, nor in his start against Sheffield United, to warrant giving him a start. The only thing that would justify giving him a start is ironically the 7m price tag that many seem insistent on protecting him from in their demands for patience. 

Its nothing to do with his age. His age would account for inconsistency, assuming a raw potential is there beneath it. Yes hes 19, but hes not a total novice, he played over 50 games for Forest. Armstrong despite his frustratingly inconsistent nature has done far more to feel aggrieved should Brereton start the next game that Graham misses over him as a central forward. Armstrongs end product has been really poor but, on the assumption that we would need to change our style of play to accomodate either as a striker, Armstrong has at least shown blistering pace and we know he can finish from last season.

One thing that makes no sense and ties in with this thread is making a temporary addition of another striker who doesnt hold the ball up well enough to play the tactics we currently adopt, in Sam Gallagher.

Its also important to note that the "playing out of position" argument loses credibility with each passing game. Strangely since Mowbray commented on why he doesnt see him as a striker yet, he has started featuring predomanintly down the middle.

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The thing is Brereton has not done anywhere near enough in his cameos, nor in his start against Sheffield United, to warrant giving him a start. The only thing that would justify giving him a start is ironically the 7m price tag that many seem insistent on protecting him from in their demands for patience. 

Its nothing to do with his age. His age would account for inconsistency, assuming a raw potential is there beneath it. Yes hes 19, but hes not a total novice, he played over 50 games for Forest. Armstrong despite his frustratingly inconsistent nature has done far more to feel aggrieved should Brereton start the next game that Graham misses over him as a central forward. Armstrongs end product has been really poor but, on the assumption that we would need to change our style of play to accomodate either as a striker, Armstrong has at least shown blistering pace and we know he can finish from last season.

One thing that makes no sense and ties in with this thread is making a temporary addition of another striker who doesnt hold the ball up well enough to play the tactics we currently adopt, in Sam Gallagher.

Its also important to note that the "playing out of position" argument loses credibility with each passing game. Strangely since Mowbray commented on why he doesnt see him as a striker yet, he has started featuring predomanintly down the middle.

You make it sound like this has been a lot, excluding Sheffield United he's probably played about 18 minutes as a striker in the league.

22 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Any danger of BB not being mentioned in this thread. Keep checking it and seeing its HOT, wondering who we have signed only to see another debate on BB. 

Any credible transfer news?? Chapman, Gallagher or any other targets? 

Precisely nothing as yet. Sharpe been as much use as normal too, not that it's his fault as the LT lost their inside scoop on Rovers years ago.

29 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Any danger of BB not being mentioned in this thread. Keep checking it and seeing its HOT, wondering who we have signed only to see another debate on BB. 

Any credible transfer news?? Chapman, Gallagher or any other targets? 

Bring back Chaddy ;) 

I wish they would just make this transfer window 1 week long.

Nothing seems to happen until the last week except for ITK folk to make up a load of tosh every day to troll fans.

Just get on with it and get players sold/signed

• Moderation Lead

Yet, you take a dig at Brereton twice in the space of 6 minutes in two separate posts. A 19 year old who has played little and when he has it was been mostly out of position

Ironic :) 

I took a dig at Brereton? Swing and a miss there, I'm afraid! I'd have mentioned him by name if I were having a dig at him!

I've been incredibly fair on Brereton so far and am giving him loads of time, so if you want to start querying people's stances on him, I'd suggest a different target.....

Edited by K-Hod

5 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Nothing seems to happen until the last week except for ITK folk to make up a load of tosh every day to troll fans.

If i remember rightly our first January signing last year was Armstrong and was done around the 12-15th ish of January? I think our business was concluded about a week later too when Bell arrived. We never seem to get our business done early since Bowyer got Cairney and Gestede permanently tied down Conway.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

If i remember rightly our first January signing last year was Armstrong and was done around the 12-15th ish of January? I think our business was concluded about a week later too when Bell arrived. We never seem to get our business done early since Bowyer got Cairney and Gestede permanently tied down with Conway.

To be fair nobody does really. Everyone is waiting until the last minute hoping a better deal arrives by someone desperate at the last minute.

Makes the 1st 3 weeks pointless

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

100% right. Sadly, people fall for it every single time. Very frustrating. 

Palmer clearly has skill but he's a show pony who has a hell of a lot to learn about the team game still and I hope he bins off signing these types now it's pretty pointless just like the lad from West Brom.

Just get some raw pace in and hopefully spend a bit of money or loan in a bit of quality who's ready to play a part and fits into how Mowbray wants to play.

Just now, tomphil said:

Palmer clearly has skill but he's a show pony who has a hell of a lot to learn about the team game still and I hope he bins off signing these types now it's pretty pointless just like the lad from West Brom.

Just get some raw pace in and hopefully spend a bit of money or loan in a bit of quality who's ready to play a part and fits into how Mowbray wants to play.

I agree, enough of the 'they're not coming in to replace anybody just to help them' it doesn't wash with me at all seen as 5/6 of our starting XI probably DO need replacing if we're to challenge higher up next season. Surely it's to keep the team spirit up and he doesn't actually mean it.

There are quite a few very good Premier League players out of contract in the summer. Young lads like Piazon from Chelsea and Dominic Iorfa are reasonable targets. Iorfa in particular is a good player.

Also the likes of Baines, Phil Jones, Andy Carroll etc but far above our station I'd imagine. Although, with the big hold it up type player Mowbray wants, a cheeky 6 month loan move for Carroll with a view to buy would be very very interesting, assuming he'd stay fit.

Dreaming though. Wages would be enormous having played for such putrid clubs like Toon, Liverpool & West Ham. License to print money getting a contract at them 3.

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I agree, enough of the 'they're not coming in to replace anybody just to help them' it doesn't wash with me at all seen as 5/6 of our starting XI probably DO need replacing if we're to challenge higher up next season. Surely it's to keep the team spirit up and he doesn't actually mean it.

True and his methods will probably see us through a stable season and a safe finish but if there is a genuine intent to move upwards then he has to get a bit ruthless with whatever backing is available. Let's use the money if they offer it to him not an 'as you where i'm loyal to these lads' scenario that might get him sacked by next October.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There are quite a few very good Premier League players out of contract in the summer. Young lads like Piazon from Chelsea and Dominic Iorfa are reasonable targets. Iorfa in particular is a good player.

Also the likes of Baines, Phil Jones, Andy Carroll etc but far above our station I'd imagine. Although, with the big hold it up type player Mowbray wants, a cheeky 6 month loan move for Carroll with a view to buy would be very very interesting, assuming he'd stay fit.

Dreaming though. Wages would be enormous having played for such putrid clubs like Toon, Liverpool & West Ham. License to print money getting a contract at them 3.

Haha come on now mate, I bet Carroll is on more per week than our entire starting XI.

27 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I took a dig at Brereton? Swing and a miss there, I'm afraid! I'd have mentioned him by name if I were having a dig at him!

I've been incredibly fair on Brereton so far and am giving him loads of time, so if you want to start querying people's stances on him, I'd suggest a different target.....

You said 

He's really not, we just haven't used him right, or enough. 1 goal in the league and 2 in the league cup. He's chipped in with more goals than some I could mention....

1 goal in the league and 2 in the league cup. More than many others in the squad.....

The ...... suggest you were implying a specific player who is, frankly, being discussed to death on here. Especially the first post. 

My apologies if he wasn't who you meant. 

Who were you referring to out of interest? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

So, what, we never start him again? 

Armstrong has had many chances upfront and has offered next to nothing from there. The one thing I will give him is that he looks better on the wing than Brereton. 

He has played 300 minutes of football for us. He needs a goal for his confidence. The couch football managers need to take a few deep breaths, relax and get off his back.  

Why not start him? Are some afraid he might actually score and therefor curtail the moanfest? 

• Backroom

I've heard Brad Lyons is off to St Mirren for the rest of the season.

Hopefully he can come back next season and challenge for a place in the first team!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yeah the days of us being able to afford the sort of Steve Archibold style marquee loan signings are long gone.

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

You make it sound like this has been a lot, excluding Sheffield United he's probably played about 18 minutes as a striker in the league.

Most of his cameos in the last couple of months have been central so thats blatantly not true. But youd see some of them attributes (pace, strength, skill etc) even if he was wide.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Need to sign an actual, starting winger.

I think that Palmer got a raw deal especially compared to Rothwell, who had contributed even less than Palmer (neither has had a fair run or game time in their natural position) and that was evident after the Sheffield United game when Rothwell spent the whole game running the ball into blind alleys, Palmer was much better yet Rothwell seemed to get the plaudits.

So, what, we never start him again? 

Armstrong has had many chances upfront and has offered next to nothing from there. The one thing I will give him is that he looks better on the wing than Brereton. 

He has played 300 minutes of football for us. He needs a goal for his confidence. The couch football managers need to take a few deep breaths, relax and get off his back.  

Why not start him? Are some afraid he might actually score and therefor curtail the moanfest? 

I dont think Armstrong has had many chances central, in fact I would say that Brereton has played more minutes centrally than him. Armstrong has been poor for most of the season but at least he has shown a bit of promise in terms of his pace and last season his finishing. There is something there to work with at least.

If you genuinely think that me or anyone spends their hard earned money to hope that our players fail then you are sadly mistaken.

One thing ive said throughout is that we shouldnt sign Sam Gallagher, a similar type of striker to both Brereton and Armstrong, and that signing a striker should be well down the priority list as we cant afford to write off 9m worth of investment down the middle or stunt their development to sign a very average striker of the same ilk on a temporary basis. With Brereton in particular, I am banking quite blindly on him becoming a success.

I actually think his price tag works in his favour, would he warrant a place in the 18 over Nuttall if he had signed for free? Not too sure.

• Like 1