BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Not against the loan system, after all these young lads get the best of the best at these academies. Would Messi be Messi if he had been put through at some average Argentinian club. Some say the hoovering system stints development and loses a few but there is an argument the other way too. I wouldn’t be against an American type draft system to benefit the smaller clubs getting talent however, forcing the bigger clubs to pay money to bring them in. 

Anyway back on topic, I’m hearing Ben Woodburn is on our radar 

12 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Anyway back on topic, I’m hearing Ben Woodburn is on our radar 

Hearing where?

Currently at Sheff U on loan but doesn't seem to be getting many games. If that was to be cancelled it would be so he can get games. Getting a 19 yr old striker on loan from Liverpool to presumably go ahead of our own 7 million quid 19 yr old striker in the pecking order would be...a novel approach.

Anyway how is he on the wing?

• Like 1

Ben woodburn would be a good addition. He is a winger/inverted forward but can beat a man and get a ball in. He is exactly the type of loan we should be aiming for. Mentioned him in the summer thread before he went to Sheffield united. Don't know what happened there. He does strike me as the kind of player mowbray wouldnt be starting or in a hurry to use ala Palmer/chapman. Scored on his Wales debut.

Edited by Oldgregg86

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I disagree slightly, to me the whole point of loaning a player from a PL Club is that you're getting the use of a player you could never afford to acquire permanently. The parent Club might be getting a loan fee but they're passing up on the chance to get a permanent transfer fee for the player and they're not paying most of his wages and sending him out to fill up the bench somewhere else, they want him playing so they can assess whether he might be any good for them at some point, or so his value can be enhanced for a sale.

I'd have thought the unwritten understanding between the clubs would normally be that the player would be a regular starter if fit.

You would be right for 19/20 PL clubs but this is Chelsea we are talking about, they are simply nothing more than a player farm. They couldn't care less, it's costing them peanuts to develop players and they know that regardless of how many games they play at some point someone will pop up with a $5-10 mill offer. Any player they don't think will fit the model they would be released before they were given a pro contract.

Edited by sparky12

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisisanfield.com/2019/01/ben-woodburn-returns-to-liverpool-after-disappointing-sheffield-united-loan/amp/

That article has a mention of ourselves, Brentford and Hull enquiring about his availability. Also describes him as a midfielder not a striker.

One of Chaddy's old favourites, Ryan Kent, also mentioned in there as having had his loan at Freiburg cut short.

Think Woodburn would be a welcome addition. Can use as cover for Dack if needed and suits this 'wide forward' b*llocks more than anyone else we have.

Can't see him dropping one of Conway/Bennett on the right hand side so assume it'd pretty much be direct competition between him, Armstrong and Rothwell for the other 'wide' position. Will we see Harrison Reed in his position?!?!?! 

Nixon also stated he wouldn't bet against, or words to that effect, Marshall's return as he's available.

No thank you, bailed on us when the going got tough.

Might be an ok addition if we already had a couple of first choice goal scoring strikers.

Sorry but to me this just smacks of having very little to play with and again fluffing out the squad with a player who's club will happily lend him in return for some game time whilst continuing to pay the bulk of his wages. 

I think we can rule signing any first choice players for the foreseeable future the big money is already tied up until there's a big departure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Nixon also stated he wouldn't bet against, or words to that effect, Marshall's return as he's available.

Honestly can’t blame players for wanting away from the circus that was our club between venkys and coyle, think I’d want away too

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

The Chelsea thing people have touched on is an absolute disgrace. I'm absolutely convinced they're only playing Hudson-Odoi (who looks to be absolute dynamite) because there's been a bit of hype about him and Bayern Munich have allegedly shown an interest.

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Might be an ok addition if we already had a couple of first choice goal scoring strikers.

Sorry but to me this just smacks of having very little to play with and again fluffing out the squad with a player who's club will happily lend him in return for some game time whilst continuing to pay the bulk of his wages. 

I think we can rule signing any first choice players for the foreseeable future the big money is already tied up until there's a big departure.

Kind of understand what you're saying, could be loan to buy though, could be straight loan, could be no deal at all. 

He's also first team quality for our team with age on his side if there were to be some form of permanent option in the future. Think the bigger question is would he fit this current style of play and the answer is a resounding no. We should be careful too as I'm fairly certain there were penalty clauses in his loan deal to Sheffield United for not playing enough.

Hard to say whether or not we have goal scoring strikers though, we definitely have one, and the other 2 are used on the wing with the £7million one having played less than 300 mins. I'd rather see someone like Woodburn come in over another striker personally as there's no dislodging DG at the moment but the wide forward positions seem up for grabs.

Loaning a kid from Liverpool who isn't getting game time at Sheffield for the remainder of the season doesn't exactly look like a long term grand plan, more just picking up a promising youngster, probably on the cheap, and hoping he has an impact.

Kane, Barrow, Grimes, Samuelsen, Byrne, Hendrie, Palmer - all highly rated kids coming in from Premier League academies (most actually no better or inferior to ours) yet had little to no impact upon the first team.

We need to be much smarter in our recruitment than going down the old route of dipping into the kids on loan from academies at Premier League clubs.

There are some good uns like Mason and Wilson at Derby but we seem to operate at a level below that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Loaning a kid from Liverpool who isn't getting game time at Sheffield for the remainder of the season doesn't exactly look like a long term grand plan, more just picking up a promising youngster, probably on the cheap, and hoping he has an impact.

Kane, Barrow, Grimes, Samuelsen, Byrne, Hendrie, Palmer - all highly rated kids coming in from Premier League academies (most actually no better or inferior to ours) yet had little to no impact upon the first team.

We need to be much smarter in our recruitment than going down the old route of dipping into the kids on loan from academies at Premier League clubs.

There are some good uns like Mason and Wilson at Derby but we seem to operate at a level below that.

Wilson was on loan at Hull last season and Mason Mount came from the same academy as Palmer.

Like the above post says, loans are all trial and error, you don't know how 18/19 year olds will perform playing Saturday/Tuesday every week until you give them a go.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It's the football version of tipping point, keep shoving enough in the slots and eventually a worthwhile one will drop into your lap. I suppose a few clubs operate that way and it doesn't do any harm having contacts with the big clubs with them being happy to send some your way but my main issue is how many of those we've had have had a fair crack of the whip in their proper positions ?

Also how many might have blocked some of our own youngsters from the first team squad !

Edited by tomphil

Every manager is looking for a quick fix, becasue they know 5 or 6 bad results and suddenly their job is on the line.

The crazy managerial merry go round means very few clubs have any sensible long term planning in place

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

I'd take Marshall back as right winger. He's a useful enough player and can you really blame him for leaving with the state of the club back then?

I don't begrudge the lad anything at all.

• Like 2