BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd take Marshall back as right winger. He's a useful enough player and can you really blame him for leaving with the state of the club back then?

I don't begrudge the lad anything at all.

I'm not over begrudging, but it was poor from him in the lead up to his move.

Further, and probably more importantly, if he was a good player then I'd be all for it. He is not a player to take us up a level. Can count on one hand the amount of good games he had in his entire time here, and most of them were in his first season before injury! Definition of a player who flattered to deceive.

Never go back move on !

I quite liked Marshall he was certainly versatile and could do ok RW/LW/RB but was rubbish in the role Bowyer said he was best suited for..no 10.  Trouble with Ben was apart from his off field life seemingly being his priority on the pitch his heads went down far far too easily that's probably why out of GB good signings he never turned into a really profitable one when it looked as though he could.

Leopards never change their spots he's a journeyman now leave him to it.

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Never go back move on !

I quite liked Marshall he was certainly versatile and could do ok RW/LW/RB but was rubbish in the role Bowyer said he was best suited for..no 10.  Trouble with Ben was apart from his off field life seemingly being his priority on the pitch his heads went down far far too easily that's probably why out of GB good signings he never turned into a really profitable one when it looked as though he could.

Leopards never change their spots he's a journeyman now leave him to it.

Pickering/Bentley/Santa Cruz or Berg/Byrom?

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

The Chelsea thing people have touched on is an absolute disgrace. I'm absolutely convinced they're only playing Hudson-Odoi (who looks to be absolute dynamite) because there's been a bit of hype about him and Bayern Munich have allegedly shown an interest.

Agreed. Trying to bump up his fee this window.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Honestly can’t blame players for wanting away from the circus that was our club between venkys and coyle, think I’d want away too

Me too. Marshall became a victim of the then favourite excuse "head turned", in the rush to sell him.

• Like 2

Half the fanbase left us during that time, so we cant really blame a player for exiting the madness.

Only issue I have with marshall is he's not the quickest and this team needs a bit of pace out wide imo if we are looking to sign someone

I'd be a bit 'meh' about Marshall returning. He's clearly a very capable and versatile player for this level and at Rovers we love our players who can play 2 or 3 positions so he'd fit in well. He's still a decent age and was earning rave reviews not long ago at Millwall which prompted Norwich to come calling. He also seems to be a bit of a head case which has always held him back. I heard he was 'homesick' when at Leicester so god knows how he is managing at Norwich, but suspect he'd love the chance to return to the North West.

If we got his head right, which I'd like to think Mowbray would be good at doing, then we could have a good player on our hands, but if we didn't he could easily sit around doing very little wasting a wage.

I'm afraid I don't buy the narrative that he was a disruptive influence who got too big for his boots and wanted out at Rovers. He was the last in the succession of assets the owners and their friends were cashing in on. He could see what was happening after Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Hanley and Duffy had all been flogged and knew he was going to be next. Don't believe for one minute he was offered a reasonable contract extension given the way this club was behaving back then.

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Honestly can’t blame players for wanting away from the circus that was our club between venkys and coyle, think I’d want away too

I thought Marshall was excellent for Rovers. There was an article in one of the papers when he was here, and he was saying how difficult it was playing at the club as there was a lot of hatred from the fans etc and he criticised the owners.

image.thumb.png.2027a0c90879aeee0d384057efb7baef.png

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Pickering/Bentley/Santa Cruz or Berg/Byrom?

Berg was a class act they didn't call him ice for nothing he had the right attitude and was a success first time around I think when you've gone to Man Yoo and won trophies it's a bit different than being a second tier journeyman. 

Don't know about the first or last ones but Santa Cruz was a flop when he returned...on 90k per week.

To be fair Marshall was ok at Wolves I think and just became victim of a spending spree but i'd still give him a swerve unless they were going to make him into a permanent right back. He looked like he had all the tools for that and would certainly suit TMs wing back fantasies but again does he have the right attitude for the discipline of defending ? Not sure..

Apart from the autumn of the 14/15 season when he was excellent for a few games on the wing (left wing, IIRC), I think Marshall's best spell for us was at right back under Lambert. I don't think I'd have him there now though, I'd rather let Nyambe keep developing, even if he's been picking up a few injuries lately.

He'd probably offer a bit more on the wing than some of what we've got (and is a genuine winger) but not sure....still think we can look elsewhere and do better.

• Like 3

I actually think Marshall would be a decent signing for us. While he has struggled for game time at Norwich he had a very successful spell at Millwall last season where he helped push them towards the playoffs. 

Marshall is a player who on his day could probaly get into most teams in the league, it’s just how often he gets to that level is the concern with him.

Importantly tho he would provide us with some width and quality deliveries from wide areas which I feel players such as reed and Armstrong lack with them being out of position. Along with that’s he’s a very capable right back and as shown by Bennett in recent games, we need cover there. 

Having said all that it’s a Nixon’s rumour so it defitenely won’t happen.

Edited by TruRover

16 hours ago, owenrilla said:

Palmer averaged 52.5 minutes per appearance for Huddersfield, 28 minutes per appearance for Derby and 54.5 minutes per appearance for us.

In his season in the Championship for Huddersfield he played 24 times.  He has played in 14 league matches in half a season for us.

I don’t think we have used him any differently in terms of game time to his previous loans, which I feel is a reflection of the difficulty he seems to have to influence games.

If you’d have posted those stats when he joined you’d have been called negative and told to trust TM. ;) 

21 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Get Jordan Rhodes back. 

Where would we play him ? We only play 1up front and Rhodes proved he can't play that role. He can't play out wide and he can't play the " Dack " role. In that list of players who left and came back only Berg did well, I'd say David Dunn did OK when he came back. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AAK said:

I thought Marshall was excellent for Rovers. There was an article in one of the papers when he was here, and he was saying how difficult it was playing at the club as there was a lot of hatred from the fans etc and he criticised the owners.

image.thumb.png.2027a0c90879aeee0d384057efb7baef.png

Well, he was dead right on that call.

I liked Marshall. Versatile and a great strike of the ball. I would have him back. Although I wouldn't be too bothered either way. 

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Where would we play him ? We only play 1up front and Rhodes proved he can't play that role. He can't play out wide and he can't play the " Dack " role. In that list of players who left and came back only Berg did well, I'd say David Dunn did OK when he came back. 

There is chance of a return so its moot but Rhodes proved he is effective even as a lone striker, he scored goals on his own or as a pair. In that first season he played as a lone striker and was incredible.

Marshall would also be a good signing as he proved at Millwall last year but again theres no chance.