BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He'd certainly offer far more on the wing than what weve got. Mowbrays choices of wide men, especially this season have not worked out in terms of goals and assists. Marshall offers far more, getting 3 goals and 5 assists in 16 appearances at Millwall last season and playing a huge role in their sudden surge up to the brink of the play offs. He has a track record at this level too.

I find it strange that our fans turn our nose up at him (admittedly he is a prick but still) yet foam at the mouth over Chapman, who yes certainly has talent, but has injury issues, our manager has admitted he doesnt seem him starting games any time soon, and he doesnt have a track record.

I alsways found him to be far less effective at full back, and he played there at a time when the main alternative was Adam Henley and then a very raw Ryan Nyambe (in his last half season under Coyle) therefore it was needs must.

As has been touched on, the conversation is a bit moot as he would never come back but he would walk into the side.

I find Mowbrays comments about needing a target man a little strange, and am unconvinced that he sees a winger as a priority which is a worry. He said “With total respect to Ben Woodburn, we have invested in a player (Ben Brereton) who has mobility, can run with the ball, create chances and score goals and is a mobile, agile, type of striker." Not only have we not seen any of that, but it suggests that the solution to our winger issue is Ben Brereton in Mowbrays eyes! It also mentions Sam Gallagher as a target man, but thats not a quote from Mowbray so hopefully it is just an inaccurate comparison from Rich Sharpe.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17349186.mowbray-distances-rovers-from-links-with-liverpool-youngster/

No. Rothwell plays wide almost exclusively, he has played central midfield once or twice (think for the last 15 minutes against Rotherham (?) at home he went there as we chased the game, he played there at Bournemouth too) but he plays on the left wing usually. Theres no way he can be trusted to be a central midfielder, he takes risks running with the ball and they would be potentially fatal there, yet far more dangerous in the final third, assuming he doesnt lose it as much as he did at Bramall Lane.

There are very few occasions (when hes carrying a knock) that I would consider taking Dack off full stop, so for me thats not a viable place for him either. But he would be first back up should Dack get injured IMO.

If Downing goes, he has to be replaced surely.

24?

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Some "BIG" clubs in Birmingham, didn't you know?

Hanley, Gallagher, Chapman, now Marshall mentioned in the "Ex player returning" sweepstakes... out of interest who would people actually be universally happy to have back from our exes of recent years who are even 50% attainable.

For me I would say Gestede. But I'm sure many would disagree due to possible attitude issues he may have had in January before we sold him. 

... and Martin Olsson??

I would be delighted with Olsson. Would improve us massively. 

3 hours ago, J*B said:

I've been chatting to Chadster on Twitter; he's "nice and chill atm, enjoying life." I think we may have lost him.

Pretty new to this  Twitter mullarkey ... What's his handle ????

Edited by AJW

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Some "BIG" clubs in Birmingham, didn't you know?

Hanley, Gallagher, Chapman, now Marshall mentioned in the "Ex player returning" sweepstakes... out of interest who would people actually be universally happy to have back from our exes of recent years who are even 50% attainable.

For me I would say Gestede. But I'm sure many would disagree due to possible attitude issues he may have had in January before we sold him. 

... and Martin Olsson??

I’d love too have Hanley back. He’d be class alongside Mulgrew. Rovers shared our trip too Milwall in April 2013 on twitter and it was Hanleys 60 yard run that won us a penalty to take all 3 points in the dying embers. Brilliant. Olsson would solve our horrendous left back options. I will always love Jordan Rhodes but couldn’t see that happening unfortunately... Don’t think it would take much too bring big Grant back, 3/4 million? If we can spend 7 on an unproven 19 year old then that’s peanuts ;).. Who knows who TM is after though, he keeps everything under wraps and it’s rare anything leaks. Most of our signings under him have been players who were never really linked to us at the time, and those who do get linked it’s usually bullshit.. I think I prefer it that way.

9 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’d love too have Hanley back. He’d be class alongside Mulgrew. Rovers shared our trip too Milwall in April 2013 on twitter and it was Hanleys 60 yard run that won us a penalty to take all 3 points in the dying embers. Brilliant. Olsson would solve our horrendous left back options. I will always love Jordan Rhodes but couldn’t see that happening unfortunately... Don’t think it would take much too bring big Grant back, 3/4 million? If we can spend 7 on an unproven 19 year old then that’s peanuts ;).. Who knows who TM is after though, he keeps everything under wraps and it’s rare anything leaks. Most of our signings under him have been players who were never really linked to us at the time, and those who do get linked it’s usually bullshit.. I think I prefer it that way.

He’s the club captain of the team 2nd in the Championship and has just signed a new five year contract.

• Like 1

I find it strange folk want Hanley back as I remember and still rate him as totally rotten. Strange that he forced a move away as much as Marshall but doesn’t get the same disdain. I rated Marshall a lot more than this lump. He would be near the bottom with Lowe of players I’d like to see return 

5 hours ago, iSeeRed said:

He were always controversial and pretty annoying but he did start a lot of different conversations. This thread so far has gone through small periods of transfer speculation and then reverted back to arguing over Brereton.

The thing is he suddenly disappeared without being any more annoying than usual from my point of view. I'd acclimatised to him in the sense that he'd always be there but I didn't feel the need to take any notice of him for the most part.

You can't rely on anybody anymore! :wacko:

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Olsson, as well as being almost certainly unobtainable, and overrated, is injured for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I find it strange folk want Hanley back as I remember and still rate him as totally rotten. Strange that he forced a move away as much as Marshall but doesn’t get the same disdain. I rated Marshall a lot more than this lump. He would be near the bottom with Lowe of players I’d like to see return 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2016/may/hanley-named-player-of-the-year/

A very good Championship defender.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I like the type of player Hanley is if not actually the Heed himself but there was quite a few who looked as if they were taking advantage of the relaxed regime around then. He could be ok when he was switched on and not hungover although always a liability because he thought he was cock of the walk and did his own thing on the pitch.  Smooth off those rough edges and there's a decent top half championship muck and bullets defender there.

Wouldn't really want him or any from then back really.

I even think that Hanley is categorised as an extreme type of blood and thunder defender which is a little unfair. He was very intelligent in terms of organising and winning free kicks, and he also had a level of composure on the ball that often was ignored, the penalty he won v Millwall being a prime example. He is certainly no Mulgrew in terms of stepping out but hes not just a clumsy oaf whos big and brave, hes more than that.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I even think that Hanley is categorised as an extreme type of blood and thunder defender which is a little unfair. He was very intelligent in terms of organising and winning free kicks, and he also had a level of composure on the ball that often was ignored, the penalty he won v Millwall being a prime example. He is certainly no Mulgrew in terms of stepping out but hes not just a clumsy oaf whos big and brave, hes more than that.

I and the whole of Scotland disagree with you there, a clumsy oaf is exactly what he is. I can’t really forgive when we were in danger of going down, he was not available, probably through disciplinary for clumsy challenges, anyway we had a relegation 6 pointer and instead of being at the game he was getting pissed with his mates at the horse racing. He can jog on as far as I’m concerned 

• Like 1

This from Mowbray is a little concerning as it does sound as though he would be open to Travis going out on loan once he has got someone in "“Like when all these clubs phone me about Nuttall and Travis, I get told the same, if and when we get the players we are looking at, there’s every chance he will be able to go out on loan".

Travis is ready and deserving of a first team chance.  If he is loaned out, not only is it a stupid move because he is ready to have a positive impact on our first team, it also sends out a bad message to all of the other young players at the club.

• Like 7

Travis has just put in 3 mom performances unless the lad himself is really pushing for a loan move ,we'd be mad to sanction that

Saturdays game will pitch us up against a player I championed earlier in the season in Jake Cooper... Big no nonesense defender who is a serious threat at set pieces (very much in the Shane Duffy mould) and gets his fair share of goals  , he had been linked with Rangers in the summer but has recently signed a new deal at Millwall

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

This from Mowbray is a little concerning as it does sound as though he would be open to Travis going out on loan once he has got someone in "“Like when all these clubs phone me about Nuttall and Travis, I get told the same, if and when we get the players we are looking at, there’s every chance he will be able to go out on loan".

Travis is ready and deserving of a first team chance.  If he is loaned out, not only is it a stupid move because he is ready to have a positive impact on our first team, it also sends out a bad message to all of the other young players at the club.

I don't think for one minute he will let Travis go. I think he is saying that we are in a similar situation to other clubs in that the phone never stops ringing about certain players and we have to be patient. Other teams are trying to balance their squads and bring in the right people first before letting anyone go. 

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

If Travis does go out on loan after recent performances and we then revert to the Evans & Smallwood axis, that would very much be a black mark against Mowbray. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 8

The main thing about his comments is that he still doesn't think we need to bring defenders in and is looking for forward players, why? In terms of goals scored we are 13th, only a few goals away from around 9th/10th, we are short of a real good goal scoring forward, obviously bringing in wingers who can bag a few and another forward midifielder would be great, but one striker who can bag 10-15 a season would be fine at the moment. However goals conceded we are 21st in the league, only conceding one less than 22nd and 2 less than 23rd, surely we need defenders and maybe 2 or 3 defenders?

• Like 1