BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

If Travis does go out on loan after recent performances and we then revert to the Evans & Smallwood axis, that would very much be a black mark against Mowbray. 

I find it inconceivable that Mowbray would even consider sending Travis out on loan. He has proved himself to be up to the standard required and if he goes out I think that may be the last we see of him as his disenchantment may see him push for a permanent move away. He is as good if not better than what we have in central midfield but can also cover at right back better than Bennett.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Letting Downing leave for me would be a really poor decision, when called upon he’s been better than Lenihan this season then unceremoniously dropped at the first opportunity!

• Like 6

Mowbray always says if a player knocks on his door asking to leave, he will treat them fairly. That's fair enough, but I don't see how we are currently in a position to let Downing leave. We need a replacement , even a loan in before we do. 

If Travis is allowed leave on loan, I would be very annoyed. In fact I would like at this point if Mowbray just came out and said what's we are all thinking. The guy had got the MOM in the 3 games he had played in, there is no chance he is going on loan. I can't see him going, but if he does, I think it would be the worst call Mowbray has made so far as manager. It would show poor judgement and a severe lack of awareness. A youth player cannot be sent on loan after taking his opportunity so spectacularly 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Letting Downing leave for me would be a really poor decision, when called upon he’s been better than Lenihan this season then unceremoniously dropped at the first opportunity!

I think that being a bit selective. He made a massive mistake in the Boro game which got him dropped. Complete air kick under no pressure that put their striker clean through on goal he got very lucky that it didn't cost us a point. He had a very good game vs Sheff Wednesday but he was very poor in his appearance earlier in the season. He's a League 1 defender who did a job for us when we were at that level. If we got an adequate replacement such as Bauer I would be fine with him leaving.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I think that being a bit selective. He made a massive mistake in the Boro game which got him dropped. Complete air kick under no pressure that put their striker clean through on goal he got very lucky that it didn't cost us a point. He had a very good game vs Sheff Wednesday but he was very poor in his appearance earlier in the season. He's a League 1 defender who did a job for us when we were at that level. If we got an adequate replacement such as Bauer I would be fine with him leaving.

Didn’t he himself recover after the air kick and clear off the line? 

Downing should only be allowed to leave if we bring in another centre back. By letting him go we'd be left with 2 first team centre backs, both of which are converted midfielders.

I was underwhelmed by signing him to say the least but his attitude won me over. Did a sterling job for parts of last season but then dropped off understandably when Lenihan got fit again. He doesn't seem to moan about being back up and always gives his all when he comes on. A good player for us and it'd be a shame to see him go but, providing we have a replacement in mind, it's the right decision. He deserves to be playing every week.

• Like 3

I like Downing, I think he's a solid defender. How on earth he is below Williams and Rodwell in the pecking order is beyond me. TM clearly doesn't rate him so a move away seems like a sensible option. He'll be a good signing for a lge 1 club. If this opens the door for some young players in the youth team then I can accept that. 

I said a while ago that we could use the final couple of months of the season as a chance to blood some youngsters and see what they can do. We probably aren't going down and we probably aren't going up either, so it's a perfect opportunity to blood them. If we are ever to return to the premier league, it is going to be built on quality youngsters coming through the youth team. We can't afford to buy our way to promotion, so it's vital we give the youngsters a chance.  

• Like 1

Downing is the equivalent of Smallwood. Great squad players at this level that can do specific jobs for the benifit of the team.

I think downing is the best defender of crosses and aerial balls that we have at the club. If he goes and we bring someone in fair enough but I'd rather get a player in first and not be left empty handed.

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Downing should only be allowed to leave if we bring in another centre back. By letting him go we'd be left with 2 first team centre backs, both of which are converted midfielders.

I was underwhelmed by signing him to say the least but his attitude won me over. Did a sterling job for parts of last season but then dropped off understandably when Lenihan got fit again. He doesn't seem to moan about being back up and always gives his all when he comes on. A good player for us and it'd be a shame to see him go but, providing we have a replacement in mind, it's the right decision. He deserves to be playing every week.

Judging by what Mowbray has said it looks like he wants to go play 1st team football which is fair enough. 

Got to factor in he's out of contract in the summer anyway along with Rodwell. We really need another centre half even if he was to stay, I prefer Williams at cb to lb but doesn't mean he's any good. Rodwell at CB hasn't worked so far and I can't see it working unless we switch to a back 3.

Would anyone fancy Steven Caulker, I see he's without a club?

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Downing out Bauer in, Wharton and Grayson to be involved in the squad. I would be more than happy with that. If Downing wants first team football then we shouldn't stand in his way. He did really well last season and was a complete unsung hero I thought. Good luck Paul if you do leave. 

No point keeping Wharton around unless the lad is going to play. He needs to be recalled and sent somewhere he will actually start every week. I still think that he could do that at league 1 level, lad needs 1st team experience.

• Like 1

Downing is one of the first on the list of people we need to upgrade if we want to progress. No doubt a top bloke and a good pro but we really need to be aiming higher as a club. File into the same category as Smallwood and Williams. Not in a rush to get rid of him as he likely won't kick up a stink but at the same time if he wants to go and there is an opportunity to strengthen the squad then make it happen.

The trouble is I don't get the impression that a new, quality, proven, natural CB is on Mowbray's radar, and I suspect we're more likely to let him go and then cart on for the remainder of the season with what we have, which is trying to convert Rodwell and Williams into CBs and putting Grayson on the bench. Square pegs into round holes and experimenting with positions.

Downing wants to go somewhere he can play regularly then fair enough, make it happen, but bring in a replacement who is a CB who is going to IMPROVE the team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray always says if a player knocks on his door asking to leave, he will treat them fairly. That's fair enough, but I don't see how we are currently in a position to let Downing leave. We need a replacement , even a loan in before we do. 

If Travis is allowed leave on loan, I would be very annoyed. In fact I would like at this point if Mowbray just came out and said what's we are all thinking. The guy had got the MOM in the 3 games he had played in, there is no chance he is going on loan. I can't see him going, but if he does, I think it would be the worst call Mowbray has made so far as manager. It would show poor judgement and a severe lack of awareness. A youth player cannot be sent on loan after taking his opportunity so spectacularly 

It's all well and good Tony saying Downing gets to go on loan because he wants to...but he certainly stopped Travis and Nuttall getting loan moves in the summer with little intention of playing them here, when they absolutely needed first team action to develop at a crucial stage of their careers. Travis in particular was odd as we had a fuckton of players in that position and there is such a thing as a recall clause. Nuttall was more understandable after Samuel's injury.

Obviously it would be crazy to loan him out now when he is having such an impact and looks genuinely first team ready. Especially after refusing him in the summer when the time seemed better.

I think Downing being allowed out would also be daft, unless we are planning on signing a highly capable CB first (which I hope we are!). Especially if it means another youngster at a key stage of development, Wharton, has to warm a bench instead of getting a better loan move.

16 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Well that's a first for me, seeing a player signing a new deal wearing their specs. Not sure I've ever seen any photo of a player wearing specs before retirement actually, outside of Edgar Davids which was more shades!

Not a very long deal he has signed. Clearly one we intend to review again in the next 6-12 months.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

If Travis does go out on loan after recent performances and we then revert to the Evans & Smallwood axis, that would very much be a black mark against Mowbray. 

I think it would mark the beginning of a lot more fans staying away from Ewood

• Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow, that's a sweeping assumption lol 

In fairness, whilst it might not be 100% accurate, would it be that surprising if Travis and Mowbray had fallen out?

Remember, Bradford wanted him on loan and Mowbray denied him the chance to go....

With that being said, I think if Travis HAD said something out of order, he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad and would be with the U23s full time tbh.

Edited by K-Hod

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just handed nice new contracts out though so that's the pecking order he's created, his favs first and the rest second.

Come on Tony lad develop that ruthless streak !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Just handed nice new contracts out though so that's the pecking order he's created, his favs first and the rest second.

Come on Tony lad develop that ruthless streak !

He was pretty ruthless taking Conway off at Derby after half an hour. 

29 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

In fairness, whilst it might not be 100% accurate, would it be that surprising if Travis and Mowbray had fallen out?

Remember, Bradford wanted him on loan and Mowbray denied him the chance to go....

With that being said, I think if Travis HAD said something out of order, he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad and would be with the U23s full time tbh.

If they did fall out, the fact Travis has played 3 games and got man of the match would suggest it's sorted alright.  But the proof will be in what happens with Travis this month