BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

51 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

So, is this the start of the week we get our act together in the transfer window? Or do we continue with the waiting game?

Out of interest: what does everyone think we need (in this window), and who do you think are realistic targets to fill these positions?

We bobble along an the same weaknesses pop up regularly so fans follow the theme, another target man with a goal or two in him to help back up DG, A big strong centre half we've been crying out for for years and of course that rare Rovers phenomenon that only occurs with the eclipse.....a proper winger with pace.

Then as football is football we get a curve ball game like Saturday were there are changes, you think we are nailed on to lose but we win and those who've stepped in have their best games yet !!!!!

I still think we need all the three above but can see that game clouding the thinking and this window being very much as you were. 

P.S...... I don't think there are any funds for anything decent anyway .....

Just now, arbitro said:

I was told on Saturday by somebody within the club to expect two or three on loan but nothing permanent.

Not to doubt your source, but I think this is pretty common knowledge and the LT have run an article stating exactly this...

From the squad we have now and the young players breaking in there is absolutely no point bringing in anyone unless they can contribute. No risk is fine but no use is pointless and we don't want any blocking the way of the others because we are doing a big club or someone a favour.

I refer back to centre half cover if Downing goes and some pace for the wings = vital

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What happened to our £20 million war chest?

And what happened to the plan of loaning in good players who can challenge the established ones with a view to buy ?

Hopefully that hasn't been shelved !

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

2-3 no risk players in, sounds good. 

Save the War chest for the summer. Stability and an outside chance of a play off push would be just the ticket for this season and then hit the ground running next. I like TMs thinking, he is wise and astute and will develop this club back to where we belong if he sticks to his plan. 

• Like 1

If we have a £20 million warchest, it would be lunacy to try and spend it in January. Good thing Mowbray is patient and not under stupid pressure from the owners. Slow build is best(we may still mount a sneaky play-off push as well). Watch while the likes of Forest and Villa crash and burn after their gambles bomb. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

We're 4 or 5 wins from mathematical survival.

My thoughts would be to get a winger on loan, and a centre half (if Downing leaves) and maybe a fullback, but really I'd be keeping the powder dry.

Move any monies to the summer transfer window and spend the remainder of the season assessing who's good enough to stay next year.

Obvious players on the for sale list..... Williams, Bell, Smallwood, Downing, maybe even Rothwell.

Also try and blood a few more of the younger players, particularly towards the end of the campaign with minutes for Davenport, Tomlinson, Wharton, Grayson and Butterworth.

The sooner we get to 50+ points, the sooner the plans for next season can take shape.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

My thoughts would be to get a winger on loan, and a centre half (if Downing leaves) and maybe a fullback, but really I'd be keeping the powder dry.

Move any monies to the summer transfer window and spend the remainder of the season assessing who's good enough to stay next year.

Obvious players on the for sale list..... Williams, Bell, Smallwood, Downing, maybe even Rothwell.

Also try and blood a few more of the younger players, particularly towards the end of the campaign with minutes for Davenport, Tomlinson, Wharton, Grayson and Butterworth.

The sooner we get to 50+ points, the sooner the plans for next season can take shape.

I agree with most of that, but why sell Rothwell? We wouldn't get a huge fee as things stand, he is young and has potential. Selling him would be absolutely pointless 

4 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Wouldnt be selling Rothwell at all.

Wide man to replace Conway and a centre half and it's happy days until summer for me where we can hopefully shift and replace some of the players not quite good enough for where we want to be challenging, Williams, Smallwood, Samuel, Conway (much as it pains me) all need replacing with players ready to step into the first team and not weaken it.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree with most of that, but why sell Rothwell? We wouldn't get a huge fee as things stand, he is young and has potential. Selling him would be absolutely pointless 

Remember Mowbray's ready to let him off the leash...

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we have a £20 million warchest, it would be lunacy to try and spend it in January. Good thing Mowbray is patient and not under stupid pressure from the owners. Slow build is best(we may still mount a sneaky play-off push as well). Watch while the likes of Forest and Villa crash and burn after their gambles bomb. 

Apart from him admitting in the press that he made the late move for Brereton because money came available and he wanted to make sure it was spent rather than run the risk of it not being there in future.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with signing people in January. I don't understand where this mentality has come from that the January window is some horrific thing that should be avoided and the only time we should do permanent business is the summer. Yes the summer we have the advantage of more time to recruit and bed players in but if someone comes available in January who can be a piece of the jigsaw then we should strike.

Mowbray himself has referred to a multi-window building process. I presume that includes January windows so I will be surprised/perplexed if he then decides to sign no-one or a couple of loans to flesh the squad out a bit until the end of the season at which point they will either have to be replaced by others or we'll have to pay to bring them in permanently.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Apart from him admitting in the press that he made the late move for Brereton because money came available and he wanted to make sure it was spent rather than run the risk of it not being there in future.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with signing people in January. I don't understand where this mentality has come from that the January window is some horrific thing that should be avoided and the only time we should do permanent business is the summer. Yes the summer we have the advantage of more time to recruit and bed players in but if someone comes available in January who can be a piece of the jigsaw then we should strike.

Mowbray himself has referred to a multi-window building process. I presume that includes January windows so I will be surprised/perplexed if he then decides to sign no-one or a couple of loans to flesh the squad out a bit until the end of the season at which point they will either have to be replaced by others or we'll have to pay to bring them in permanently.

I don't recall him saying that. From my recollection he said Brereton came available

Nobody is saying not to sign in January, but would you acknowledge it is more difficult to sign players? Clubs won't want to sell starters as most are either fighting for promotion or battling relegation. 

He has said loans to buy are options, which makes perfect sense in January. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't recall him saying that. From my recollection he said Brereton came available

Nobody is saying not to sign in January, but would you acknowledge it is more difficult to sign players? Clubs won't want to sell starters as most are either fighting for promotion or battling relegation. 

He has said loans to buy are options, which makes perfect sense in January. 

He implied that the reason or one of the reasons we went out late in the window and spent that money was because it might not come available again down the line. I can't remember the wording but it suggested to me Mowbray wasn't confident he could keep his power dry and felt he needed to spend it there and then.

Yes, I acknowledge that January is a more difficult time to do business than the summer and also that given we're in a relatively secure position at the moment there is no real pressing need to go out and do business, unlike say Ipswich or Reading who are sinking and need to add quality.

If we bring in a couple who are on loan but with a deal to buy or option to buy in the summer then I'd be confident that we were following a thought out medium term plan on recruitment. If we just go out and add a couple of kids from academies just to fill out the squad until the end of the season I'll be more apprehensive because as many have said before, you can't build on short term loans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He implied that the reason or one of the reasons we went out late in the window and spent that money was because it might not come available again down the line. I can't remember the wording but it suggested to me Mowbray wasn't confident he could keep his power dry and felt he needed to spend it there and then.

Yes, I acknowledge that January is a more difficult time to do business than the summer and also that given we're in a relatively secure position at the moment there is no real pressing need to go out and do business, unlike say Ipswich or Reading who are sinking and need to add quality.

If we bring in a couple who are on loan but with a deal to buy or option to buy in the summer then I'd be confident that we were following a thought out medium term plan on recruitment. If we just go out and add a couple of kids from academies just to fill out the squad until the end of the season I'll be more apprehensive because as many have said before, you can't build on short term loans.

Ya, true. They need to be good, experienced loans. 

On the graduate loans, I see Harper started for WBA at the weekend. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

If I was Rodwell I wouldn’t be too keen to stay after this season based on that.

When everyone is fit he ‘may’ play occasionally when we have 3 games a week, clearly here just as backup and can’t see him wanting to do that for long 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

2-3 no risk players in, sounds good. 

What worries me is that such a policy could just see us hovering around 10th place or lower, season after season, having to start again every August,  as good loan players return to their parent clubs, our older players get older/slower and the likes of Dack get sold.

When is a good time to build on what we have, rather than merely stand still, consolidate (stagnate)?

In this context the money splurged on Brereton defies credibility... 

We have a good nucleus around which to build and we should be doing it now...

• Like 7