BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's just ridiculous. So after another 25 appearances next season he should be automatically entitled to another one?

You never know if he's going to be available. He should have been replaced in summer with someone in his prime (not BB) and used more sparingly as capable back up this season allowing him to leave at the end of this season with everyone's thanks when his previous deal expired.

I think that was the case though. My guess is that the wages on his last one were modified and part of the sweetener was the tangible prospect of another?

Always a risk, give his age...but so far, so good...,(we are only in the first month of it lol)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's not how contracts work. 

What are actually talking about? Graham is one of our best players. What nonsense. 

What are you talking about? Graham triggered a certain number of appearances this season and apparently was automatically entitled to a new deal. I thought we'd stopped all that nonsense.

It's all well and good on the best case scenario but hopefully no-one will come on here complaining we've been unlucky if Graham is either permanently injured or unable to hack it next season.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah but will he be one of our best players next season ? Unless someone else gets signed we'll have Nuttall, Brererton and Samuel to play up front.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

You're the first Rovers fan I've ever seen slate, or even worse, not rate (??) Danny Graham. 

Armstrong by the way.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What are you talking about? Graham triggered a certain number of appearances this season and apparently was automatically entitled to a new deal. I thought we'd stopped all that nonsense.

It's all well and good on the best case scenario but hopefully no-one will come on here complaining we've been unlucky if Graham is either permanently injured or unable to hack it next season.

Incorrect, was an option on his contract of an extra year which we choose to take up. Similar to that with Alderweireld at Spurs, De Gea at Manchester United etc. It was a safety net for us where we had a decision to make at the end of his contract whether he was spent or not, he was not, and what a decision extending that contract has been.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Incorrect, was an option on his contract of an extra year which we choose to take up.

And how could we not take that up? He’s been brilliant for us and if last year he takes more of a back seat then so be it. I don’t think any rovers fan would have said no to giving Graham another year, he’s a class act.

• Like 5

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Incorrect, was an option on his contract of an extra year which we choose to take up.

I dont think that's right, at least not according to the LT, but if you can provide the source I'm happy to stand corrected.

Even if it was only an option we shouldn't have taken it up. It should all have started with some proper recruitment in summer.

Just now, Butty said:

And how could we not take that up? He’s been brilliant for us and if last year he takes more of a back seat then so be it. I don’t think any rovers fan would have said no to giving Graham another year, he’s a class act.

He's done ok but even at this stage  only has one really good game every four or five. The rest of the time he looks miles off the pace.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I'm not, Evans has been far better than Smallwood all season!

That being said, Reed and Travis is looking like our strongest central midfield, but I can't see Mowbray selecting them in the centre together.....

Granted, Evans is a little better than Smallwood, but neither should be in the starting line-up given that we've just won and kept a clean sheet - Travis and Reed deserve to keep the shirt (I imagine Evans will be injured anyhow). 

• Like 1

I can't believe there is even a debate about DG. He averages a goal every 218 minutes. If he played every minute of every game then that is almost a 20 goal a season striker. Granted he won't play that many minutes but still he has the quality to deserve his place in our team/squad for another 18 months. After that I would hope he would move to the backroom staff and help coach the likes of BB and Nuttall. Graham is a keeper. He loves the club and we should love him!! 

• Like 8

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

He's done ok but even at this stage  only has one really good game every four or five. The rest of the time he looks miles off the pace.

Whilst I definitely acknowledge that he will need replacing sooner rather than later, I am honestly starting to think that even if Graham saved you from drowning, you'd complain that he didn't manage to keep you dry.....:rover:

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Tom said:

If I was Rodwell I wouldn’t be too keen to stay after this season based on that.

When everyone is fit he ‘may’ play occasionally when we have 3 games a week, clearly here just as backup and can’t see him wanting to do that for long 

His player loyalty policy will be his undoing. 

Not sure how we can progress with that sort of thinking. Very worrying. 

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Tony say's “I’ve talked before, I put a lot of stock in loyalty in players who have done well for this team and I want to see how far they can take us." Personally I think that this current squad has reached it's ceiling which is mid table of the Championship. I don't see a team with the likes of Smallwood, Evans, Bell, Williams and Bennett (as a right back) playing regularly as good enough to take the next step to the play offs. I also don't see a team that has no wingers and only 1 striker decent striker as a side that can make the play offs. If we are to take the next step of the play offs then we need probably 4-5 players to come in and improve the first team not just bit part players who sit on the bench and can come on and do a job here and there. 

Is that a real quote from Tony ?

• Backroom

On the official site Mowbray says Nuttall will be competing with Graham for the spot up front which indicates he may not go on loan and that maybe Brereton is won’t be considered centrally.

It makes you wonder if we can bring in a proper winger if it’s worthwhile sending Brereton to league one to get some games 

• Like 2

Graham was worth his contract, we would all be raging had he been allowed to leave for Bolton and they were in our position and we in theirs. That being said I think the majority of fans realised that he should have been a cover player to an established and progressive striker we signed in the summer, brereton wasn’t the right option. I do worry that in a years time we are still relying on a declining graham and he just won’t be up to it. He should always be given respect and appreciation from rovers fans for staying with us and all he has gave to the club, he also speaks very highly of us and I believe that to be a true opinion of his. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Graham was worth his contract, we would all be raging had he been allowed to leave for Bolton and they were in our position and we in theirs. That being said I think the majority of fans realised that he should have been a cover player to an established and progressive striker we signed in the summer, brereton wasn’t the right option. I do worry that in a years time we are still relying on a declining graham and he just won’t be up to it. He should always be given respect and appreciation from rovers fans for staying with us and all he has gave to the club, he also speaks very highly of us and I believe that to be a true opinion of his. 

All except Chaddy who'd already ordered and paid for a taxi for DG ?

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's rubbish and I think most fans will agree with me.  

Mowbray has improved the squad since he took over. The thing is he is doing it the right way. Slash and burn will get you nowhere. 

I would remind you that two of our three 'mainstays' (Graham and Mulgrew) we signings made by C o y l e and without doubt, potentially the most calamitous signing made by Rovers in a long while (Brereton) was made by Mowbray.  I think Mowbray's track record on player trading is poor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

You're the first Rovers fan I've ever seen slate, or even worse, not rate (??) Danny Graham. 

Armstrong by the way.

Hang on a minute, where have I slated him ? What I said was he isn't going to go on forever and we need to be looking at a realistic replacement. Even Dougie had to hang his boots up eventually. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I would remind you that two of our three 'mainstays' (Graham and Mulgrew) we signings made by C o y l e and without doubt, potentially the most calamitous signing made by Rovers in a long while (Brereton) was made by Mowbray.  I think Mowbray's track record on player trading is poor.

Hard to disagree with this he's made fair few signings in his time here and for me there would be 2 perhaps 3 at the most that would be in our best starting 11 and one of those is Reed who is only on loan.

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Hmmm but Graham was brought in by Lambert to replace Rhodes and was all set to sign here whoever the new boss was although Coyle probably had to ok it to be fair. To give him the credit for that signing is a bit of a stretch I think he'd have had Barnes instead if he'd half a chance.

Mulgrew I also believe was being lined up by Lambert to come anyway but maybe Coyle got that over the line so fair enough although he neutralised that by lumbering us with that shitehouse Stokes at the same time so it probably had some grubby little fingerprints on it.

I'll tell you one thing though any longer playing under Coyle and Mulgrew would've been ruined and back off up the road.

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

A well worn myth.

Of the top of my head Conway, Graham and Bennett all arrived at Rovers during January windows.

They surely are of some note.

There will be plenty more examples at most Clubs.

It just comes down to the quality of the scouting and recruitment department.

If we are now just in for 2/3 loans it explains why Waggot and Mowbray's Pune trip was rightly cancelled as pointless.

As others have said if a club is not continuously looking to improve it's squad then it will start to regress.

I hope Mowbray's continuous talk of loyalty to the squad is for the players ears to protect their fragile egos and that in reality he actually does have a masterplan. One can hope.

My argument is January isn't when you can substantially rebuild a club. Sure there are odd good permanent and some good loan signings to be had.

I would hope we are looking at loan with a view to buy options.

But there is precious little transfer action anywhere so far this month.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if Rovers had no more ins or outs this window. The nightmare would be a £20m offer for Dack coming in on 29 January.