BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So you would have expected us to be in the play-offs at this point? 

Don’t bite Big dog. I don’t think any Rovers fan would have expected this squad too be in the play offs at this stage. Ludicrous thought. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good post. I think there may be some potential in Bell and (tin hat on) Brereton but more or less spot on. 

We also need a first choice striker in his prime imo. Not one who is nearly 34 or a 19 year old.

I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of challenging for the play offs, neither are we likely to go down so the only interest left in the rest of the season for me is seeing if we can make any quality permanent additions in January who'll improve the starting eleven or seeing if we can integrate some younger lads into the first team set up. For example I'd recall Wharton straight away and give him some game time to see if he's likely to be an asset moving forward.

Does TM have any appetite to do either of these things? Not sure.

So you’ve moved on from slating Bennett constantly too now saying we shouldn’t have give Graham a new deal and you stated last night how unimpressed with him you were, when for me he was an outlet all night and ran his bollocks off. We all know he’s not got long left and that a replacement should be signed, we’ve already done that but albeit so far that replacement isn’t looking up too much so it needs addressing. You can’t say next season if we have Graham on the bench and around the squad it would be detrimental, he’s someone who could effect a game when brought on. DG still has a lot to offer this side. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, I was hoping we would be about where we are now. Looking back though if we hadn't have thrown so many points away we would be in a play off position. So on the one hand I'm content, but regretting what might have been. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

With £10million investment on two players and a team already including Mulgrew, Dack and Graham, I would expect a half decent manager to have us in the top eight.

When Howard Kendall brought us up from the same division, in the close season he spent £40k on a midfielder (Speight) and signed about four on free transfers.  We finished fourth missing out on promotion on goal difference and we were never lower than eighth all season.  Kendall's circumstances were far more difficult than Mowbray's but, IMV, he was ten times the manager Mowbray is.

In my book, Mowbray has no excuses and I think he's underachieved so far this season.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

With £10million investment on two players and a team already including Mulgrew, Dack and Graham, I would expect a half decent manager to have us in the top eight.

When Howard Kendall brought us up from the same division, in the close season he spent £40k on a midfielder (Speight) and signed about four on free transfers.  We finished fourth missing out on promotion on goal difference and we were never lower than eighth all season.  Kendall's circumstances were far more difficult than Mowbray's but, IMV, he was ten times the manager Mowbray is.

In my book, Mowbray has no excuses and I think he's underachieved so far this season.

So where would you expect Wigan to be this season? They had a good team last season going into the Championship?

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Underachieved....brilliant! 6 points off the playoffs is beyond expectations after  27 games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I see a few Youngsters have gone out on loan today. Guessing they were all ill yesterday. 

Any gossip on incomings? 

Not heard one name. Think we can call this window a right-off. Too be fair with us looking like not going up or down there’s no immediate rush, although I really don’t want too see Bell or Williams at left back ever again, We just need to get the summer window right that’s where it matters. 

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No, I was hoping we would be about where we are now. Looking back though if we hadn't have thrown so many points away we would be in a play off position. So on the one hand I'm content, but regretting what might have been. 

I am the exact same. We should be higher up the table 

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Mercer, the world is different place now, in terms of the levels of investment in Championship squads, not least by recently relegated PL clubs.

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Man you can't compare everything to Howard Kendall. How many managers have spent more than £10 million and not gone up? Mowbray inherited a rotten team and club and has steered pretty much everything back in the right direction. 

We are very much on for a top half finish. I wouldn't even rule out top 8. 

If your expectations were play-offs this season, you were very much in the minority. 

45 minutes ago, starscascade said:

So where would you expect Wigan to be this season? They had a good team last season going into the Championship?

They haven't spent £10million on two strikers have they!?!?

44 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Mercer, the world is different place now, in terms of the levels of investment in Championship squads, not least by recently relegated PL clubs.

It's relative.

Rovers hadn't a pot to pi$$ in under Kendall and he was competing with clubs with far greater financial resource including the likes of Chelsea, West Ham and Newcastle, to name but three, that season!

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's relative.

Rovers hadn't a pot to pi$$ in under Kendall and he was competing with clubs with far greater financial resource including the likes of Chelsea, West Ham and Newcastle, to name but three, that season!

That's true  but Howard Kendall was one hell of a player .......He carried the team at times !!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought Wigan would finish slightly higher than Rovers.

I think Wigan have a stronger squad than us, unfortunately for them they've been very unlucky with injuries, I think some of the their best

players have been out long-term, but they are starting to get back nearer to full strength now.

Good win on Saturday against Villa, I wouldn't be surprised if they start to climb the league and maybe even finish above Rovers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

That's true  but Howard Kendall was one hell of a player .......He carried the team at times !!!

Yep, he was still a class act and shows what a remarkable job he did by also very successfully managing the team!

Mowbray has one just job - managing the team!

4 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I see a few Youngsters have gone out on loan today. Guessing they were all ill yesterday. 

Pretty sure they're just nowhere near first team standard. Mansell looks due to be let go in the summer and the other lad is 17, going out to some conference team I think, for someel experience. 'Work experience', officially.