BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

Worst question ever simply because we’ll have to hear Mercer say again how we’ve spent 10 million on two strikers and should be 10 points clear at the top :lol: .. In all seriousness though, I’d be buying a left back, making Reed permenant, and buying an out and out winger. If that’s doable with 10 million of course. 

Any names? 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ran his bollocks off? He could barely move.

Probably cos he'd ran his bollocks off. It's very distracting for your bollocks to be gone during a game of football. If I lost mine, the only further running I'd be doing would be to find them.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Any names? 

Oviedo if he was too take a pay-cut would definitely be an improvement on Bell/Williams. He’s a name that springs to mind off the top of my head, but surely there’s got too be someone’s out there better than them two?! Tyler Blackett, can play at left back or centre back. His contract is up in the summer, currently at Reading. I’d take him... Pawel Wzolek at QPR, winger who’s contract is up in the summer. Presume they’ll be renewing but he’s a good player i’d be taking a look at. Jacob Murphy seemingly not a first choice option at Newcastle, he had a decent game last night, if Newcastle were willing to sell for a few million we should be all over that, I know he’s a player who’s been mentioned on here before. 

Edited by Butty
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We could feasibly finish anywhere between about 8th and 18th, this league is far too fluid to even try and guess.

So surely all the ‘underachieving’ ‘overachieving’ stuff waits till May?

Exactly. I hoped we'd be eyeing the play-offs flirtatiously this season. I think we'll finish way short of that 

The major problem though is not so much where we finish given as long as we stay up that's broadly acceptable for this season given we've just been promoted.

The problem is that the nucleus of the squad that took us down and brought us back up again is not good enough to do anything other than survive in the lower half of this League. Despite that transfer activity seems to be viewed as a bit of window dressing to pad out the squad and provide bodies to fill in occasionally due to injury.

In the summer we needed 2-3 players to come straight in and improve the first eleven. Maybe one new face this month to spice things up and keep everyone on their toes. Another 2-3 more in summer and you've got the basis of a side capable of challenging next season.

Instead if nothing happens this month come the summer we'll be in exactly the same boat as 12 months previously, about 7th favourite with the bookies to go down and likely to finish accordingly.

• Like 2

Jake Bidwell might be worth a shout, decent age only got six months left on contract. Left back that’s very highly rated by QPR fans. But I honestly believe Mowbray will stick with Williams and Bell for sometime yet. Been a proper quiet window though we’ve barely even had rumours attached to us. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RovingRover said:

I think some would say he has been given a chance.

Would you risk exiting this transfer window without another Striker signing?

What would happen if Graham was ruled out for the rest of the season.

We'd have to play our £10million pounds worth of strikers.... wait for it..... as strikers.

The Bell signing was another strange one. He's been here a year almost now and people still don't rate him as an improvement on Williams who isn't really a left back in the first place. Pals of mine who watch Rochdale regularly were impressed with Hart. I only saw him play once but he looked distinctly average to me. The point I'm making is Mowbray has signed two left backs, neither of which are an improvement on the player we already had and who also isn't deemed good enough. Let's just say I'm a bit underwhelmed by our scouts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The Bell signing was another strange one. He's been here a year almost now and people still don't rate him as an improvement on Williams who isn't really a left back in the first place. Pals of mine who watch Rochdale regularly were impressed with Hart. I only saw him play once but he looked distinctly average to me. The point I'm making is Mowbray has signed two left backs, neither of which are an improvement on the player we already had and who also isn't deemed good enough. Let's just say I'm a bit underwhelmed by our scouts.

Bell is better than William,  which is why he is playing every week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you have to look at it in relation to the fee paid. For 300k I think Bell is a decent signing. Williams cost a little more but I'd say the same of him too. Players capable promotion? Maybe not but time will tell. Bell can still improve, there's more to come from him and Williams is a better CB IMV. 

Williams' horror shows at Preston and Wigan confirmed who's the worse of the two IMO. Bell without doubt needs to improve; as it stands he's not good enough if we want to move higher up the league, but there's more to work with and there are the odd glimpses which suggest there could be a decent player in there somewhere.

Just now, frosty said:

Williams' horror shows at Preston and Wigan confirmed who's the worse of the two IMO. Bell without doubt needs to improve; as it stands he's not good enough if we want to move higher up the league, but there's more to work with and there are the odd glimpses which suggest there could be a decent player in there somewhere.

Agree he might come on, in my opinion Bell had both his worst half of football and his best half of football for us in the Newcastle game.

10 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think you have to look at it in relation to the fee paid. For 300k I think Bell is a decent signing. Williams cost a little more but I'd say the same of him too. Players capable promotion? Maybe not but time will tell. Bell can still improve, there's more to come from him and Williams is a better CB IMV. 

This is a fair point. Whilst Bell does have many technical flaws, he does have a decent bit of pace and does try and get forward. For £300K he is probably as good if not better than I expected. To improve on him, the price will very quickly go up for each percent of ability increase. 

He is also better in most areas other than aerial than Williams who is garbage. 

7 minutes ago, benhben said:

This is a fair point. Whilst Bell does have many technical flaws, he does have a decent bit of pace and does try and get forward. For £300K he is probably as good if not better than I expected. To improve on him, the price will very quickly go up for each percent of ability increase. 

He is also better in most areas other than aerial than Williams who is garbage. 

Aerial in our own box I assume you mean, he must have the second worst header to goal ratio in English football after Duffy.

We should be all over this. I assume he’s not been brought back to play and fits Mowbray’s signing plan being young and english. He’s also rapid.

2560402C-12AB-47F6-A765-12F9961E4BA4.png

2 hours ago, Neal said:

I don't the fee is an issue if the player isn't good enough. If I sold you a Mercedes Benz for £500 but it wouldn't start would you be happy ?

• Like 1