BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Seems strange that we aren't signing anyone at such a pivotal point in the season and with an outside chance of the playoffs. Who's to say if we brought in a striker and two solid defenders we wouldn't push on and challenge. Pleased with Mowbray and the season so far but it's time to invest smart and get back in the Premier League. It's possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Maybe Venkys are fed up with where their last 7M ended up?......It's possible.

Maybe the pay rises etc and the first instalment on BB used up any surplus there might have been in this seasons budget.  He might not dare ask for anymore in case he gets told sell to buy.

14 hours ago, savage90 said:

Seems strange that we aren't signing anyone at such a pivotal point in the season and with an outside chance of the playoffs. Who's to say if we brought in a striker and two solid defenders we wouldn't push on and challenge. Pleased with Mowbray and the season so far but it's time to invest smart

Agreed.

Mowbray keeps talking about how much he likes the players he has and how good the team spirit is. He obviously doesn't want to spoil that and he's right. However, we do need more quality so you'd hope he has 1 or 2 lined up.

I can't say I've much faith in his recruitment though. 

Edited by blueboy3333

On 18/01/2019 at 11:46, tomphil said:

It's fair enough Mowbray saying that and I agree but the problem he won't sign anyone like that he's more or less admitted it because of his loyalty to this group. Probably could have pushed the boat out for someone in summer as a reward for promotion but we somehow ended up with Brereton.

He only seems to want to sign back up players not direct competition for key areas or if possible somebody better than we have. In a certain number of positions in the team it wouldn't take millions and twenty grand per week to upgrade so he really should be looking and using these windows for the improvement.

That loyalty to players is bordering on stupid. It will be Mowbray's downfall and we'll never get promotion until he makes changes with new blood.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, tomphil said:

Maybe the pay rises etc and the first instalment on BB used up any surplus there might have been in this seasons budget.  He might not dare ask for anymore in case he gets told sell to buy.

Or maybe not. It's not easy to add quality. Have any other championship clubs added anyone of note yet? 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes. Villa have spent 7m on a Croatian international keeper in Lovre Kalinic and Leeds have brought in Real Madrid sub keeper Kiko Casilla, 2 teams that desperately needed improvement in that position.

Boro have signed Rajiv Van La Parra on loan, a proven quick winger at this level, and Millwall have signed Ben Marshall, 2 wingers with proven track records in a position we need that I would have liked to see sign here.

Ipswichs signings have been hit and miss with crap like Keane, Elder and Dawkins, but also James Collins, Alan Judge and Colin Quaner, 3 players who undoubtedly improve the spine of their team, albeit with the rest of the team its pissing in the wind.

Bristol City have signed Kasey Palmer on loan who has had an impact straight away there, gettin g the winner last weekend.

Preston were desperately in need of bodies, 2 of their new signings in Potts and Stockley had a big impact in a very impressive win today. 2 very impressive players in the lower leagues.

Sheffield United have added Dowell from Everton and Gary Madine to give them more attacking options in their promotion push.

Wigan have signed Anthony Pilkington who was crucial in their win v Villa last week, and West Broms signing of Holgate is a very shrewd one.

Of course its always difficult to sign the right players, January is a particularly difficult month. But that is no excuse, I've given plenty of proof that potential improvements ARE out there and we CAN improve the squad if we have the finance and also if Mowbray is shrewd enough.

I suspect that spending 7m on one player who has started one league game and has yet to score is always going to cause major strain on the budget. Maybe the pot is dry. 

We need at least a left back and a winger to come in. Theres a squad with a core of vital experience and a growing pocket of talented younger players supplementing them, but there is weakness within the side that needs addressing for us to really kick on.

Yeah but apart from that...

:lol:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes. Villa have spent 7m on a Croatian international keeper in Lovre Kalinic and Leeds have brought in Real Madrid sub keeper Kiko Casilla, 2 teams that desperately needed improvement in that position.

Boro have signed Rajiv Van La Parra on loan, a proven quick winger at this level, and Millwall have signed Ben Marshall, 2 wingers with proven track records in a position we need that I would have liked to see sign here.

Ipswichs signings have been hit and miss with crap like Keane, Elder and Dawkins, but also James Collins, Alan Judge and Colin Quaner, 3 players who undoubtedly improve the spine of their team, albeit with the rest of the team its pissing in the wind.

Bristol City have signed Kasey Palmer on loan who has had an impact straight away there, gettin g the winner last weekend.

Preston were desperately in need of bodies, 2 of their new signings in Potts and Stockley had a big impact in a very impressive win today. 2 very impressive players in the lower leagues.

Sheffield United have added Dowell from Everton and Gary Madine to give them more attacking options in their promotion push.

Wigan have signed Anthony Pilkington who was crucial in their win v Villa last week, and West Broms signing of Holgate is a very shrewd one.

Of course its always difficult to sign the right players, January is a particularly difficult month. But that is no excuse, I've given plenty of proof that potential improvements ARE out there and we CAN improve the squad if we have the finance and also if Mowbray is shrewd enough.

I suspect that spending 7m on one player who has started one league game and has yet to score is always going to cause major strain on the budget. Maybe the pot is dry. 

We need at least a left back and a winger to come in. Theres a squad with a core of vital experience and a growing pocket of talented younger players supplementing them, but there is weakness within the side that needs addressing for us to really kick on.

Good post. Doggy's going to have a re-think;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The thought of signing a left back  and also a wide player to slot in where Reedy has been playing allowing Reed to play in the middle with Travis... That would improve us massively, no doubt. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Butty said:

The thought of signing a left back  and also a wide player to slot in where Reedy has been playing allowing Reed to play in the middle with Travis... That would improve us massively, no doubt. 

Thought Bell had one of his better matches today. Centre forward and back for me.  

7 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Thought Bell had one of his better matches today. Centre forward and back for me.  

One of his better matches still isn’t good enough I’m afraid. We need to improve on him massively, we’re a left back a winger and a striker away from being able to challenge for the play offs for me. I know we’re 6 points off as it is, but I still feel that this squad as it is isn’t quite there yet. Very good start to the season regardless. 

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Reed and Travis would be a superb central midfield, and to be honest we could just move Bennett up to wide right and play Nyambe right back to facilitate it. 

Think that's where we will be in around four or five games, as Mowbray moves on these thing slowly.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Genuine question- how would folk feel about going up at the end of this season- not that it’s remotely likely but if we were to sneak into the playoffs and defy odds to creep up, I would be worried that we would be cannon fodder which would set us back instead of up. I’d prefer a steady progress so that we are prepared if we ever do make it to the promised lands. Not saying we shouldn’t be looking to finish as high as possible I would just be worried of the state we would be in after a season of being battered

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Genuine question- how would folk feel about going up at the end of this season- not that it’s remotely likely but if we were to sneak into the playoffs and defy odds to creep up, I would be worried that we would be cannon fodder which would set us back instead of up. I’d prefer a steady progress so that we are prepared if we ever do make it to the promised lands. Not saying we shouldn’t be looking to finish as high as possible I would just be worried of the state we would be in after a season of being battered

Think that’s a daft question in all due respect. The amount of money the club gains, is surely worth going up because it puts you in a different bracket to other clubs in the leagues below. 

Also look at the success other promoted sides have done most notably Huddersfield. 

We all can dream, and let’s be honest Mowbury is the best manager we’ve had for a long time, may perhaps since Hughes? As well as our acdemy which is producing a good generation of new players! Not to mention it looks like stability behind the scenes with Waggot being at the helm. Far cries from the days of Kean, Appleton etc

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You just have to take these chances when they come I'm afraid. No point being in it if you fear success.

In any case, the team that took the field in August wouldn't be the same one that went up.

Oh, hang on a minute, I see your point, it probably would be in our case!   :lol:

Edited by 47er
typo

12 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Get your point, I was wondering the same. Imo if we went up we would be cannon fodder with the current squad but surely if the worst came to the worst we'd still be far better off going up and coming straight back down with £100m to go again than never going up at all?

Would put TM in a dilemma. He couldn't possibly stay loyal to the current squad then. Could he.......?

Don't actually think there's any chance of it happening. I suspect if we get any nearer to the play offs than we are now we'll bottle it like we did before the Preston and Wigan games.

I would love to see us contest the play offs at the new Wembley though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigF said:

Think that’s a daft question in all due respect. The amount of money the club gains, is surely worth going up because it puts you in a different bracket to other clubs in the leagues below. 

Also look at the success other promoted sides have done most notably Huddersfield. 

We all can dream, and let’s be honest Mowbury is the best manager we’ve had for a long time, may perhaps since Hughes? As well as our acdemy which is producing a good generation of new players! Not to mention it looks like stability behind the scenes with Waggot being at the helm. Far cries from the days of Kean, Appleton etc

Don’t think it’s a daft question and as I said I’m not suggesting we don’t try and get up, I’m asking if it’s beneficial for the club long term. I ask because I think we are a mile away from being able to compete in the prem. yes we would get the money but who is to say mowbray wouldn’t splurge it on more breretons. I’m suggesting it may be beneficial to let us grow a team that might have a chance of sustaining a prem lg future rather than fortunately going up when we aren’t ready. Of course it’s the end goal that we all want I was merely asking if a season of being whipping boys, more dwindling crowds, fans unrest again might set us back rather than forward. A recent example was it derby who sneaked up one year with billy Davies, gave out big contracts to sustain the dream, didn’t work and it actually set them back from where they were. I can see it happening to Fulham this year. Someone mentioned Huddersfield but they aren’t in a good situation just now, I wouldn’t tip them to bounce back next year 

To my mind, we've had two proper managers in the last 4 we have employed. Bowyer was a gent but cutting his teeth. Coyle I'd rather not talk about. But Lambert and now Mowbray have both said words to the effect that we are / have been a club in need of repair. These things take time and I'd sooner we got the basics right and built slowly than go all out for the promised land. I like Mowbray. He seems to like it here too. Yeah he's not perfect. One of his flaws throughout his career is probably his recruitment. But when I think back to the days of Kean, Singh, Bruno Ribiero, Anderson (both) and then compare it to now I can't help feeling like we're in the right track.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all rosy. I worry about losing Dack. I worry that Graham won't last forever. Ditto Mulgrew (more for his goals than his defending).  But to my mind, if it wasn't for the large outlay on Brereton I think Mowbray would still have justified god like status.

He has said the right things this window. He wants players to impact the first team. That makes sense to me. Plus for the first time in a long time I actually feel pretty relaxed about the transfer window. We're a decent side. I think we have commanded respect from the sides in this league and I think our league position is a fair reflection of our performance levels thus far. All being well, if we can build gradually we can be closer next year. But I think even now we have it within us to go on a run and make the playoffs. We aren't far away from that level. With some luck I genuinely feel we could sneak into that four way lottery.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or maybe not. It's not easy to add quality. Have any other championship clubs added anyone of note yet? 

Please not that old chestnut again I mean however do other clubs survive and often out perform bigger ones ?

Players are out there and quality is out there and if you can't find them then the key if you have to sign workman like players is get one's in that fit your system and the way you want to play. I think that's where we've fallen down all through Venkys tenure so it would be nice to step away from that especially when there was a few quid available.

I do think the penny drops with Mowbray eventually it just takes him an age to realise it there's multiple examples so hopefully he sticks to it now and looks for first 11 players.

Edited by tomphil

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair play you spent ages on that post.  Wouldn't take one of them.

I'll trust mowbray to work within the budget he's given. A budget no one on here knows. Or even if there is one.

1 minute ago, Blue n whites said:

Fair play you spent ages on that post.  Wouldn't take one of them.

I'll trust mowbray to work within the budget he's given. A budget no one on here knows. Or even if there is one.

It was intended to prove that it is far from impossible to improve a Championship side in the January window.

For what its worth I feel that the majority of signings on that list would improve us. One or two are blatantly unrealistic (Casilla a prime example) but quite a few would have definitely been welcome additions.

I suspect any budget may be minimal due to the Brereton deal.