BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Going up this season would absolutely be the best thing going forward and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

The money alone would give us a massive advantage to come back up if we where relegated , not to mention the better quality players we could attract playing in the premier league as well as retaining our better ones. 

And that's assuming we did get relegated

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Blackburn agree deal to sign 18-year-old Louie Annesley from Gibraltar side Lincoln Red Imps on three and a half year deal. 

Being reported in Daily Mail online. Is 6 foot 4 inch centre half; one for the development squad.

Edited by StaffordRover

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It was intended to prove that it is far from impossible to improve a Championship side in the January window.

For what its worth I feel that the majority of signings on that list would improve us. One or two are blatantly unrealistic (Casilla a prime example) but quite a few would have definitely been welcome additions.

I suspect any budget may be minimal due to the Brereton deal.

I think it's obvious there will be signings in January.  But we can't sign every player every time. I'm happy with how things are going personally.

Bell will improve like nyambe did. He's all the raw ingredients I just hope he has the correct mentality. 

Travis is like having a new player. Aother academy product.

Rodwell has stepped up great in the last 2 games  with our depleted defence. 2 clean sheets 

Roswell doesn't even get into the team. An exciting player who I rate highly. 

Nuttall has come out the cold and been a pleasant boost at just the right time. 

Throw into the mix of the old guard. That have played with pride the last two years and deserve their place at this club. Where six points off the play offs. 

I just hope the fans start turning up more. Not much more than 12k home fans on today.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StaffordRover said:

Blackburn agree deal to sign 18-year-old Louie Annesley from Gibraltar side Lincoln Red Imps on three and a half year deal. 

Being reported in Daily Mail online. Is 6 foot 4 inch centre half; one for the development squad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6611253/Blackburn-agree-deal-sign-18-year-old-Louie-Annesley-Gibraltar-Lincoln-Red-Imps.html

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Going up this season would absolutely be the best thing going forward and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

The money alone would give us a massive advantage to come back up if we where relegated , not to mention the better quality players we could attract playing in the premier league as well as retaining our better ones. 

And that's assuming we did get relegated

No one would say otherwise I'm sure 

2 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

To my mind, we've had two proper managers in the last 4 we have employed. Bowyer was a gent but cutting his teeth. Coyle I'd rather not talk about. But Lambert and now Mowbray have both said words to the effect that we are / have been a club in need of repair. These things take time and I'd sooner we got the basics right and built slowly than go all out for the promised land. I like Mowbray. He seems to like it here too. Yeah he's not perfect. One of his flaws throughout his career is probably his recruitment. But when I think back to the days of Kean, Singh, Bruno Ribiero, Anderson (both) and then compare it to now I can't help feeling like we're in the right track.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all rosy. I worry about losing Dack. I worry that Graham won't last forever. Ditto Mulgrew (more for his goals than his defending).  But to my mind, if it wasn't for the large outlay on Brereton I think Mowbray would still have justified god like status.

He has said the right things this window. He wants players to impact the first team. That makes sense to me. Plus for the first time in a long time I actually feel pretty relaxed about the transfer window. We're a decent side. I think we have commanded respect from the sides in this league and I think our league position is a fair reflection of our performance levels thus far. All being well, if we can build gradually we can be closer next year. But I think even now we have it within us to go on a run and make the playoffs. We aren't far away from that level. With some luck I genuinely feel we could sneak into that four way lottery.

I think we are a little short at present and always likely to throw in some poor results.  I also don't think there is enough creativity/goals in the side.

We haven't beaten any team comfortably (3 or more goals).   Where we are now will have been a good season back.  High enough to convince better players that we may have a good chance next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StaffordRover said:

From Gibraltar ey? Well it might not be for the first team, but clearly we are finally starting to scout abroad. Has to be a good sign.

Also makes loaning out Grayson make a bit more sense.

35 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

London-born - youth player at Chelsea

Saw that in the article after posting. Probably became aware of him in youth football over here then. But we must have still sent a scout on their jollies to Gibraltar (or procured video) presumably.

Having been home from Australia for the Christmas/New Year period and seeing the Norwich, West Brom and Millwall games I'd agree with the general consensus that we are some way short of being considered as viable promotion contenders. That being the case, I don't get the angst about the likely lack of transfer activity at first team level during this window. What's the rush? Why get involved in the January trolley dash? Why not leave it for the desperate or realistically asperational to splurge crazy money in a febrile market? 

Hopefully the club's reestablished scouting network is hard at work identifying realistic, carefully researched targets and the club can work at bringing them in during the summer in preparation for an assault on the play offs next term.

In short, chill out ffs. 

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Genuine question- how would folk feel about going up at the end of this season- not that it’s remotely likely but if we were to sneak into the playoffs and defy odds to creep up, I would be worried that we would be cannon fodder which would set us back instead of up. I’d prefer a steady progress so that we are prepared if we ever do make it to the promised lands. Not saying we shouldn’t be looking to finish as high as possible I would just be worried of the state we would be in after a season of being battered

A season of that crazy TV money and then the parachute payments make being cannon fodder for a season well worth it.

7 hours ago, Blue n whites said:

Fair play you spent ages on that post.  Wouldn't take one of them.

I'll trust mowbray to work within the budget he's given. A budget no one on here knows. Or even if there is one.

I would have taken Collins and Holgate for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I would have taken Collins and Holgate for sure.

If it was an option your entitled to that opinion. My point is we don't no it was. We don't no the budget. 

One thing I do know is that the manager wants to win and improve the squad. How he does that is up to him and the board.

Whether it's improving Travis. Bell. Nuttall. Nyambe etc or spending money he's earnt that right for a free ride off me. 

11 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t think it’s a daft question and as I said I’m not suggesting we don’t try and get up, I’m asking if it’s beneficial for the club long term. I ask because I think we are a mile away from being able to compete in the prem. yes we would get the money but who is to say mowbray wouldn’t splurge it on more breretons. I’m suggesting it may be beneficial to let us grow a team that might have a chance of sustaining a prem lg future rather than fortunately going up when we aren’t ready. Of course it’s the end goal that we all want I was merely asking if a season of being whipping boys, more dwindling crowds, fans unrest again might set us back rather than forward. A recent example was it derby who sneaked up one year with billy Davies, gave out big contracts to sustain the dream, didn’t work and it actually set them back from where they were. I can see it happening to Fulham this year. Someone mentioned Huddersfield but they aren’t in a good situation just now, I wouldn’t tip them to bounce back next year 

I understand your point about steadily rebuilding, however as other posters have pointed out it’s far better just to get back into the big time. Take a look at Derby County, always considered themselves strong contenders for promotion and have tried to improve their squad. However their best players got poached by other teams, such as Hughes, Ince etc. 

For every team what gets promoted, there’s teams what struggle as you’ve mentioned. But there’s teams what have managed to stay in the league such as Bournemouth, Brighton, Watford, Palace and Burnley unfortunately. 

You make a point about Brereton, however we do not know how it’s going to play out. He’s only 19 after all. 

If you look at Mowbury’s record from his past clubs he’s had more successes than failures.  

7 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

What's the rush? Why get involved in the January trolley dash? Why not leave it for the desperate or realistically asperational to splurge crazy money in a febrile market? 

You may want to aim your questions at the people who desperately splurged £7m on BB.

7 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

In short, chill out ffs. 

Indeed.

10 hours ago, Blue n whites said:

I'll trust mowbray to work within the budget he's given. A budget no one on here knows. Or even if there is one.

I think you've covered all bases there. 

I'd imagine there has to be a budget though, and I'd imagine Mowbray has no choice but to work within it. Not sure what point you're making?

• Like 1

Gibraltar league is made up of postmen. It's literally a farmer's league so if he finds a player from there that's good fair enough. Not likely though.

Should be looking at Edwards on loan from Ipswich till the end of the season if it's true he's allowed to leave. Wouldn't be our player and can be used however we want whenever we want.