BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

12 hours ago, Stuart said:

Not sure of the ‘hit rate’ for HITC but I think it’s looking more and more likely that he won’t play for us again. Formerly on the fringes of the first team, he now can’t get into the U23s except to cover suspension.

If rumours are true about personal issues then we might end up where a good player gets his head right elsewhere and comes back to haunt us (a la Anthony Pilkington).

Or who was the other one?  Name escapes me.  Went to Bolton, Saints.  Damn why can i not remember his name.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

In fairness I think blame can be shared to both King and Bowyer when it comes to his tenure here. Bowyer obviously didn't use King very effectively, but there were a few issues surrounding that which people have forgotten. King tended to only play well for us through the middle, so as blueboy says, who do you drop for King? Both Rhodes and Gestede were scoring truckloads at the time so it would have made no sense to bench either of them. The other major issue was that King was pretty injury prone here, and spent plenty of time in the treatment room which hampered his ability to achieve a consistent run of form. There were also times he looked disinterested and was very selfish, often preferring to run down blind alleys and try to take on players as opposed to bringing his team mates into the game. He was very young at the time so you can forgive that to some extent, but when you're talking about dropping one of two goalscoring strikers during a time when we were generally doing fairly well you can understand Bowyer's hesitation.

In retrospect what we were doing was not enough to get into a playoff spot, and maybe King should have been given more of a chance, but it's easy to say in hindsight. There wasn't exactly an outcry when King left the club. Some annoyance but he had been so inconsistent during his time here that nobody was sure which way his career would go,

Anyone who saw him in the FA Cup against superior opposition surely suspected he was under-utilised and his next club would be the beneficiaries?

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Anyone who saw him in the FA Cup against superior opposition surely suspected he was under-utilised and his next club would be the beneficiaries?

You could say exactly the same thing about Ben Brereton, funnily enough. He tore Arsenal to pieces for Forest last year.

• Like 5

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

You could say exactly the same thing about Ben Brereton, funnily enough. He tore Arsenal to pieces for Forest last year.

That was one game though. In any case no-one, or hardly anyone, is  now clamouring for Brereton to play. Its generally accepted that he needs to play under-23's or be loaned to a Div 1/2 side to see if he comes off there.

By contrast, King left and has shown he can do it in the Premiership and that we were daft to let him go cheaply and daft not to give him more chances.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

That was one game though. In any case no-one, or hardly anyone, is  now clamouring for Brereton to play. Its generally accepted that he needs to play under-23's or be loaned to a Div 1/2 side to see if he comes off there.

By contrast, King left and has shown he can do it in the Premiership and that we were daft to let him go cheaply and daft not to give him more chances.

That's all with the benefit of hindsight though, in both examples, and as far as King goes you were only referring to the FA Cup game as far as I could see from your post?

I can't think of too many storming games King had for us. He was quick, yes, but other aspects of his play weren't great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who would you have like to have seen dropped to accommodate King, 20-goal Rhodes or 20-goal Rudy?

I'd ask you another question. Name one team in recent history that had a strike partnership of around 40 goals together that didn't get in or near to the top 6?

I would have dropped rhoades for the simple matter of the entire team had to play to his way. Burnley went up with a simple set up of a big lad and quick lad up front and everyone else working hard in a solid system.

The fact we didn't get into the playoffs or promotion that year was criminal. All to fit the worst England youth captain of all time into the team.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Times certainly have changed if a Championship club £120m+ in debt can afford to splurge £6m+ on a pub footballer. 

We probably spent a good more than that on Dickson Ethuhu and Danny Murphy not to mention every youth player in Portugal and Jason Lowe's 10k plus a week contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That's all with the benefit of hindsight though, in both examples, and as far as King goes you were only referring to the FA Cup game as far as I could see from your post?

I can't think of too many storming games King had for us. He was quick, yes, but other aspects of his play weren't great. 

Bowyer preferred Chris Brown to King, (oh dear!) and when he got an occasional outing in a league game, it was usually out of position on the wing.

• Like 1

Shame if we lose Downing for me. I rate him, has always done well, heads everything.

No way should Williams be above him in the pecking order.

edit-

Well bugger.

Thanks Paul, criminally underrated and pivotal to us going up last season during the unbeaten run. Best of luck.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Bowyer preferred Chris Brown to King, (oh dear!) and when he got an occasional outing in a league game, it was usually out of position on the wing.

Talking of Chris Brown he's on a podcast and was talking about his time under Bowyer who he said was always paranoid about people watching from houses spying on training. And after a a game v Rochdale or Shrewsbury in the carabao accused Brown of giving them the team before kick off

• Like 1

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

Talking of Chris Brown he's on a podcast and was talking about his time under Bowyer who he said was always paranoid about people watching from houses spying on training. And after a a game v Rochdale or Shrewsbury in the carabao accused Brown of giving them the team before kick off

It’s good entertainment that when I’ve listened, I believe Dunny is on this week so should be lots of Rovers chat.

Astonished to learn that Browny has only just turned 34.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

No offence intended towards Downing, but the fact people are worried about him leaving shows how utterly bereft we are of real quality at the back. 

I don’t know, he’s good for 4th choice, Mr. Reliable. 

The problem is are we going to be able to sign someone better for that spot - the reason he is leaving is because he wants and deserves more game time and that would be the same for anyone better coming in.

Edited by S8 & Blue

7 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Don’t know if you were in here at the time but there actually was a lad who’s bedroom window faced the training ground at Brockhall. He used to post the Saturday team early and was bang on every time.

IIRC his dad found out and gave him a bollocking and he stopped posting. Hopefully he came back under a different alias.