BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

7 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Well you could have six CBs and still end up with all six injured. How many players for each position does a club have to carry to cover every eventuality.

Liverpool lost all their CBs and had to draft in a midfielder to play CB ..Fabinho. It happens ..but you hope it doesn't !

Wouldn't be bad having 4 if:

a) They were all centre halves

b) they didnt have history of injuries

c) they were all good

• Backroom
Just now, Tom said:

The entire direction seems to have changed this window, I still wonder if we feel stung by the Brereton deal 

By we I assume you mean Venky's? Balaji looking at Mowbray when he suggests loaning out the new £7m signing like

tenor.gif

If Mulgrew & Rodwell pick up injuries and Lenihan a suspension we could legitimately see a back line of Bennett - Nyambe - Williams - Bell. Even typing it out gives me chills.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, last January we signed a few game changers to get us over the line. If we have aspirations of top 6, we need to add a bit of extra competition at least 

As it is we have lost Palmer and Downing from players who were around the first team squad.

You could argue we have gained Travis and Nuttall but they were there all along.

I think we should at least look to bring in replacements for those, a Chapman type to bring on to potentially change the game and another actual CB 

Just now, Tom said:

As it is we have lost Palmer and Downing from players who were around the first team squad.

You could argue we have gained Travis and Nuttall but they were there all along.

I think we should at least look to bring in replacements for those, a Chapman type to bring on to potentially change the game and another actual CB 

Mowbray not entirely ruled out replacements ..but sounds like they ll be on loan and have to be better than we have ? Fingers XD

I remember TM saying it will take us 4 transfer windows until he feels we're worthy of challenging the bigger sides in this league, now he's saying he's happy with the squad and we're looking at freebies. 

Looks like the purse strings have closed to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

My thoughts on this summers transfer window is ''Upgrades''

Paul Downing is very much a League One defender, he's not what we need long term if we want Premier League ambitions.

Decent servant though.

29 League Starts (2 sub) 1 League Goal - Blackpool (a) 28/11/17

1 Cup Start (1 sub) 1 Cup Goal - vs. Lincoln City (h) 28/8/18 

We only lost two games he started. Good defender.

• Like 1

I don’t think we are getting anyone, no murmurs and the noises mowbray is making seem to confirm that too. Don’t see the point of weakening our squad in January instead of improving it, mowbray, you and me are on shaky ground. Don’t see how your 3-4 window prediction is going to come to fruition if we don’t add to the team every window 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

He was already up the pecking order. I reckon there will be an incoming soon. Give it 24 hours and we will have a bruiser of a centre half. 

I think Downing certainly in early season if not recently was no 3 behind the first choice two until Rodwell got up to speed, i'd love a bruiser but reckon it'll more likely be a young cheaper back up option or Williams is ear marked for it.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I don’t think we are getting anyone, no murmurs and the noises mowbray is making seem to confirm that too. Don’t see the point of weakening our squad in January instead of improving it, mowbray, you and me are on shaky ground. Don’t see how your 3-4 window prediction is going to come to fruition if we don’t add to the team every window 

In all fairness, January prices for players will be through the roof. Think we should only be looking at loans or loans to buy this time of the year.

2 minutes ago, Neal said:

I remember TM saying it will take us 4 transfer windows until he feels we're worthy of challenging the bigger sides in this league, now he's saying he's happy with the squad and we're looking at freebies. 

This is how it looks to me. Tonys gone from saying that the players here need to improve or they will replaced to that he's happy with the squad. If he intends to stick to the time frame above then its odd that we would be happy to sit out a transfer window. If we win on Saturday we'd go level on points with Hull and would be 3 points off the playoffs. You would think that might trigger us to get one decent signing in if only only loan to give it a go. If we don't and we fall away i'd be satisfied to see the likes of Butterworth, Davenport, Brereton, Rothwell, Buckley, Mols, Magloire some game time.

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17382796.mowbray-on-whether-rovers-will-add-a-defender-in-January/

"Where do you get someone who’s better than the four (centre backs) we’ve got and someone who would sit as fifth centre half? That is really difficult." 

I find that an incredible comment from Mowbray if he can't find a better alternative to Williams then he'd just as well chuck in now. Rodwell and Mulgrew aren't exactly the most reliable in terms of fitness. Also the fact that we have the worst defence in the entire top half (by some way) suggests we need to improve our defence, so rather than looking for a fifth centre half look for someone who is going to be your number 1 or 2 centre back.

Mowbray whole approach seems to be we have a good group of lads and he's going to back them whatever. He seems to have no interest in improving the team from the team that got promoted, every time he talks about signings he says something along the lines of where are you going to get better than what we have. Well that is his and the scouting departments job to find out and if you keep taking that attitude the club will go backwards as other sides will sign players that improve their team and overtake us. Downing and Palmer gone and no incomings our squad is weaker than it was at the start of the month.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Neal said:

I don't bloody blame 'em IF Brereton was TM's buy.

Very much sounds like there is now a clear pathway developing for youngsters to the first team squad if they are good enough which is great and what we want to see.

However that might see us sitting midtable going nowhere for a few years particularly if they are going to replace outgoings when or if a fire sale begins again.  We are certainly in better shape than before and it is on the road to a more self sustaining model which Waggot has mentioned a time or three but then factor in spewing money like that on Brereton and that goes out the window.

I'm not sure there really is much drive around the place to go for a real tilt at promotion anytime soon and i'm not basing that on this window just going off gut feeling and previous under these lot. You've got to give good players something to aim for and potential good players a reason to join, treading water isn't it although stability was the target this season and we can't be unhappy about that.  No harm in aiming as high as possible though and asking for a helping hand from those who control the purse strings.

Edited by tomphil

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Very much sounds like there is now a clear path way developing for youngsters to the first team squad if they are good enough which is great and what we want to see.

However that might see us sitting midtable going nowhere for a few years particularly if they are going to replace outgoings when or if a fire sale begins again.  We are certainly in better shape than better and it is on the road to a more self sustaining model which Waggot has mentioned a time or three but then factor in spewing money like that on Brereton and that goes out the window.

I'm not sure there really is much drive around the place to go for a real tilt at promotion anytime soon and i'm not basing that on this window just going off gut feeling and previous under these lot. You've got to give good players something to aim for and potential good players a reason to join, treading water isn't it although stability was the target this season and we can't be unhappy about that.  No harm in aiming as high as possible though and asking for a helping hand from those who control the purse strings.

Agreed on most of your points. Brereton I keep arguing is a one-off. I really hope he comes good but that potential £7m was for a young marquee signing who wasn't going to blow the wage structure, not anything else.... 

We will know after Saturday's game whether we are good enough to kick on into play-off contention. Record against the top 6 so far is W2 D3 L4 but the losses include the Leeds and Sheff U away farces.  Only two games (derby away and Sheff U home have seen us out classed) and I'd argue we were at least competitive in the other 7 games even though we only won 2.

Hull the only club showing genuine promotion form- if they have another ten games like the last ten they will be close to an automatic promotion slot.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

Agreed on most of your points. Brereton I keep arguing is a one-off. I really hope he comes good but that potential £7m was for a young marquee signing who wasn't going to blow the wage structure, not anything else.... 

He's a one-off alright.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Quotes from Mowbray

“I like our young centre halves, Wharton and Grayson are out on loan and Platt has been on loan, but Tyler Magloire is a really good footballer.

“So I’m not in a rush to just add another player who would block the pathway of our talented young players, so I’m pretty relaxed with four centre halves and a batch of young ones sitting behind them.

“If they need blooding before then, then we will have to put them on the pitch and see how they get on.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I guess it is hard not to link this with the apparent waste of £7 million !

1 hour ago, starscascade said:

Forward..not backwards.  Same with Ben Marshall, unless they are free targets forget them

You could argue bringing in a proven striker , who scored the goals we need and gets sold at a profit is moving forward

Sorry but I'm fucking fuming at TM for this decision to loan out three centre halves and not bring anyone else in. It's unacceptable, and will definitely bite us in the arse before the season is done.

We needed a new one before this window started. It has been our CLEAR achilles heel, a leaky error-prone defence. Since then, it's only a couple of weeks ago that we were so struck by injury there that we couldn't even field two actual centre halves (was it 0 we fielded? Can't quite recall). And now we loan out all the cover and don't want to get anyone in even on loan? First time I've said this, but are you fucking stupid Tony? His comments even imply that if we signed someone better than our four centre halves (three injury prone converted centre mids and a recently prone and fucking atrocious left back, who is also the only cover at left back) they would still be 5th choice. Maybe he misspoke but Jesus.

I had some bad personal news today so maybe I'm overreacting, but this really wound me up. I can't see any logic in it.

• Like 3