BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

19 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we can't get anybody in January at a price that is right then I am happy to wait until the summer. No point rushing in and signing just anyone as cover. It's all going to be about next season. This season is about stability and laying foundations for a promotion push next year. If we ended up getting promoted this year it would be nothing short of miraculous, but God I would dread next season in the Premier league. We would be whipping boys. Look at Fulham, they have spent 100+ millions and are in dire straits. If we can stick with this squad with perhaps a loan or two coming in this next week and finish mid table, then I think we will have completed our mission. 

I still have faith in TM even if others don't. 

Any notion that promotion would be anything but brilliant is unfathomable to me. 

• Like 5

Big Charlie probably can’t get back in the team at the moment and people are getting pissed off at our 5th choice centre half leaving.

Anyone got any recommendations for players  they would like to sign to replace Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew? Or someone better than Williams that would be happy with being 4th choice? 

Probably the same people who say TM never places faith in youth - well he has talked about Magloire a lot recently, and potentially rates him as a decent 5th choice in place of Downing.

I’m the only one that ever seemed to rate Downing anyway!

5th choice!

Rodwell has been like signing a new CH and I just don’t see us getting better Championship defenders than those 3 for a good while.

Absolutely everything that comes out of the club has some of you pissing your pants ready to get mad.

Relax! We’re doing well!

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we can't get anybody in January at a price that is right then I am happy to wait until the summer. No point rushing in and signing just anyone as cover. It's all going to be about next season. 

No point rushing? We've needed a high quality centre half for years now. If it really is all about next season then we are going to need to have lot of players going out and a lot coming in during the summer.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Big Charlie probably can’t get back in the team at the moment and people are getting pissed off at our 5th choice centre half leaving.

Anyone got any recommendations for players  they would like to sign to replace Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew? Or someone better than Williams that would be happy with being 4th choice?

Why has Charlie been out of the team though? Because far from the first time this season has hasn't been fit to play, Rodwell isn't exactly the most reliable in terms of fitness either which means we could be lining up with Williams at centre back for games for a number of games and he is worse at centre back than at left back. Look at our defence against Newcastle when Rodwell and Mulgrew were both missing, shocking.

Also why does the centre back we bring in have to be 4th or 5th choice, why not bring in someone who is better than what we have? I mean our defence isn't exactly rock solid is it. Why not look at someone to be our 1st or 2nd choice centre back who will improve us as a team?

The key question is what do we want to try and achieve this season, as we are only 7 points from the play offs (and it should be even less) do we want to have a real go for them or as we are near enough safe already do we want to just have the season peter out with a mid table to bottom half finish? If we want to have a go for the play offs then we need to bring  another centre back but if we are happy to plod along in mid table then stick with what we have. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Probably the same people who say TM never places faith in youth - well he has talked about Magloire a lot recently, and potentially rates him as a decent 5th choice in place of Downing.

I’m the only one that ever seemed to rate Downing anyway!

5th choice!

Rodwell has been like signing a new CH and I just don’t see us getting better Championship defenders than those 3 for a good while.

Absolutely everything that comes out of the club has some of you pissing your pants ready to get mad.

Relax! We’re doing well!

We are doing pretty well but that doesnt mean we have to cap our ambitions to maintaining where we are now.

The play offs and potential promotion are not a million miles away, however I do concede they are incredibly unlikely. Despite what some suggest, we cannot cherry pick when we feel we are ready to go up, promotion at any time is 100% positive, the whole aim is to get promoted, and nothing would be a formality once we got promoted as many unexpected teams have proved.

I dont understand the mentality of writing off this season as a learning curve already either, when we are 6 points away from the play offs, and on the back of 3 wins.

We need to be continuously progressive, there is definitely plenty to build around at the club but also obvious weaknesses and aspects of our squad that will hinder any chances of a top 6 finish in the short term. This is another of the windows Mowbray has mentioned and whenever possible we should be looking to discard/dislodge the weaker aspects and try and bring in first teamers, not replace squad players with squad players as you suggest at centre back.

For example, you mention our centre back options as if we are well stocked there. We have 2 centre backs (Mulgrew and Lenihan) plus a third option of a midfielder whose conversion to a centre back this season has had positive spells (last 2 games) and shaky spells (giving away 2 penalties including a horrendous game at Wigan and all 3 are incredibly injury prone. Derrick Williams (nor Nyambe or Bell) is never an adequate centre back for a Championship team. Our defensive record is poor. I would like to think we are continuously on the look out for a first teamer in that position, if he can get in the team, good, if not, the 2 already in there have upped their game.

Mowbray considered Downing to be our 5th choice centre back but hes far better than Wlliams is there.

Left back and a winger are the 2 urgent priorities, but we should be continuously looking to progress, not sitting on our hands accepting how great we are doing.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

No point rushing? We've needed a high quality centre half for years now. If it really is all about next season then we are going to need to have lot of players going out and a lot coming in during the summer.

Why has Charlie been out of the team though? Because far from the first time this season has hasn't been fit to play, Rodwell isn't exactly the most reliable in terms of fitness either which means we could be lining up with Williams at centre back for games for a number of games and he is worse at centre back than at left back. Look at our defence against Newcastle when Rodwell and Mulgrew were both missing, shocking.

Also why does the centre back we bring in have to be 4th or 5th choice, why not bring in someone who is better than what we have? I mean our defence isn't exactly rock solid is it. Why not look at someone to be our 1st or 2nd choice centre back who will improve us as a team?

The key question is what do we want to try and achieve this season, as we are only 7 points from the play offs (and it should be even less) do we want to have a real go for them or as we are near enough safe already do we want to just have the season peter out with a mid table to bottom half finish? If we want to have a go for the play offs then we need to bring  another centre back but if we are happy to plod along in mid table then stick with what we have. 

I’m saying that at this level, it is tough to get better centre halves.

A change of mentality, the emergence of Travis, and a better plan B when Graham goes off has contributed more to our better  defensive performances lately, I don’t lay the blame at central defence  - we can’t just keep stocking the squad in case of freak sickness bugs that wipes 4 of them out a la Newcastle.

If Mulgrew can’t get in the team, we have a central defence that most teams would take.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

Downing is league one standard. Get rid. We have four better centre halves and The window is not closed. I would look at an left back instead. Gwion Williams in summer. 

Think Tyler Magloire could get his chance later this season. 

The Downing leaving hysteria is a bit baffling. 

It does leave us a little bit thin on the ground, but as it stands we have a spare centre half in mulgrew anyway assuming the lineup at the back isn't changed on Saturday. We're obviously out of both cups so thst eases the strain on the squad slightly. 

I'd rather have Downing and Wharton out on loan playing first team football every week than not at all. 

We haven't sold them and will no doubt have a recall option should a crisis hit. 

Edited by Ossydave

I said in the summer that Chapman would be a low risk/high reward option. This was before the injury, but even so I don't see any reason to change my mind. He'll be as likely as not be on buttons, and as unlikely as it seems now, we know how good he can be if he stays fit and can progress.

Totally get why people wouldn't take him, but I still think it makes sense as a low risk investment.

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I said in the summer that Chapman would be a low risk/high reward option. This was before the injury, but even so I don't see any reason to change my mind. He'll be as likely as not be on buttons, and as unlikely as it seems now, we know how good he can be if he stays fit and can progress.

Totally get why people wouldn't take him, but I still think it makes sense as a low risk investment.

I think it makes sense business wise as long as another player for the wing is brought in as well.

Gambles like this is what Rovers have been built on over the years. Santa Cruz, Bentley, Benny McCarthy and in more recent times Bradley Dack who could have gone down the drain if his attitude got the better of him.

If it was Chapman, Bauer and Edwards on loan that would be a good window for me with some of the younger lads out on loan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’m saying that at this level, it is tough to get better centre halves.

The vast, vast majority of the teams in this league have a statistically superior defensive record to us, despite the fact we play a cautious style and use two holding midfielders. So it can't be that hard to improve on our defence. Nearly every other bugger has managed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The vast, vast majority of the teams in this league have a statistically superior defensive record to us, despite the fact we play a cautious style and use two holding midfielders. So it can't be that hard to improve on our defence. Nearly every other bugger has managed.

We are the only team in the top ten with a minus goal difference, minus 4. Even those clubs with the same number of points are several goals ahead.

Story of this season, concede easy goals and fail to take our chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Really stretching for criticism to condemn Mulgrew and Lenihan as “just converted midfielders” having played 99% of the time at centre half for us.

Somehow you managed to stop reading after the first sentence - and there were only two!

2 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

If we can't get anybody in January at a price that is right then I am happy to wait until the summer. No point rushing in and signing just anyone as cover. It's all going to be about next season. This season is about stability and laying foundations for a promotion push next year. If we ended up getting promoted this year it would be nothing short of miraculous, but God I would dread next season in the Premier league. We would be whipping boys. Look at Fulham, they have spent 100+ millions and are in dire straits. If we can stick with this squad with perhaps a loan or two coming in this next week and finish mid table, then I think we will have completed our mission. 

I still have faith in TM even if others don't. 

And if Mulgrew and Lenihan are both injured? It is irresponsible management to not have kept Downing at the club until the Summer.

Unless... he has someone lined up.

20 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And if Mulgrew and Lenihan are both injured? It is irresponsible management to not have kept Downing at the club until the Summer.

Unless... he has someone lined up.

Which he's made it plain he doesn't. Bloody better be smoke and mirrors though or we will rue loaning out all our cover.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Which he's made it plain he doesn't. Bloody better be smoke and mirrors though or we will rue loaning out all our cover.

He also made it plain that if we found ourselves in the unenviable position where we need a 5th choice, he would like to promote a youth player like Magloire. Maybe he is better than Downing?

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

He also made it plain that if we found ourselves in the unenviable position where we need a 5th choice, he would like to promote a youth player like Magloire. Maybe he is better than Downing?

Not yet he’s not. Has Magloire ever made the first team bench? Grayson has and he is out on loan. Unthinkable that we would send out three defenders only to rely on the fourth or fifth most experienced back up option as first team cover.

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

You've ignored, Stuart's comment then and just give it a laughing emoji. Lenihan and Mulgrew are converted midfielders, he Is 100% correct. Cover it up all you want, the defence is awful, including those two and if the youth centre halves aren't so great, why not play them now? The defence is a shambles most games so put them in.

12 minutes ago, AAK said:

You've ignored, Stuart's comment then and just give it a laughing emoji. Lenihan and Mulgrew are converted midfielders, he Is 100% correct. Cover it up all you want, the defence is awful, including those two and if the youth centre halves aren't so great, why not play them now? The defence is a shambles most games so put them in.

Settle down mate I was laughing at him pointing out my own belligerence.

I thought the consensus was that we are a lot better in defence now if Rodwell is half the player he’s looking, and the uproar at sending out our fifth choice is a bit confusing. It’s a team game and I find it incredibly hard to pin our defensive hiccups on Mulgrew and Lenihan - two of our consistently best players.

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not yet he’s not. Has Magloire ever made the first team bench? Grayson has and he is out on loan. Unthinkable that we would send out three defenders only to rely on the fourth or fifth most experienced back up option as first team cover.

This is all conjecture on a player we haven’t seen play, and the manager seemingly rates him to be fifth choice.

Maybe he hasn’t been loaned out like the others because he’s ready to contribute? (Mind blown emoji)

Nyambe is ok at centre half anyway... so make that 6th choice.

I wish I’d made some badges for the Paul Downing fan club!

Edited by S8 & Blue

People are missing the point about Paul Downing. It's not that we want to blow him off. It's that in a lot of people's views, we were already weak in this area, the players we do have left there are injury prone, and TM has zero intention of bringing in replacement cover or (far more desirably) someone to compete for a first team spot.

Wish people would stop counting Williams as a decent 4th choice, gynaecologists see less gash than the fans who've had to watch him this season.

• Like 3