BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

41 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Who's that then? Have you got some posts to quote? Or are you just going to admire the view from your high horse?

I couldn't do the PM's job but it doesn't stop me thinking she's made an absolute bollocks of it!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Rodwell is not the answer in a back 2 (though could be excellent in a 3) -  no where near physically imposing enough.

He's just played in a back 4 that has had two clean sheets in a row. One of those games was against Millwall where he stood up well to the physical stuff apparently. I'd be more worried about him playing a team that plays quick attacking football. He's dangled a leg twice and given penalties away against players running at him.

As for Downing, he's way down the pecking order. If we do replace him it has to be with someone who is good enough to challenge the likes of Rodwell and Lenihan for a starting spot, not just be good enough to be 5th choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Obviously this a forum for debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, some seem to genuinely believe that they know better than a man who has spent around 40 years in professional football, has largely compiled the squad and sees the players in training every day. Astonishing.

We may aswell close the forum if we have that attitude.

Coyle and Kean spent years and years in professional football but I presume you didnt use the same defence of them?

Performance in training is irrelevant, Gladwin and Brereton are 2 Mowbray signings that have been the best player in training but judgement is solely based on how players do on the pitch, not in training.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

People are missing the point about Paul Downing. It's not that we want to blow him off. It's that in a lot of people's views, we were already weak in this area, the players we do have left there are injury prone, and TM has zero intention of bringing in replacement cover or (far more desirably) someone to compete for a first team spot.

Wish people would stop counting Williams as a decent 4th choice, gynaecologists see less gash than the fans who've had to watch him this season.

I think you might want to blow him off a tiny bit. He is quite rugged so no judgement here. 

But I get your point. Mowbray will hopefully be looking to get someone who is better than every other CH at the club. But that's a separate issue to Downing being allowed to leave. If we do have an injury crisis that necessitates having to get the 5th choice CH in again I'd hope it would be someone like Magloire rather than a lad who is L1 standard and will be leaving the club in 6 months anyway. 

Williams is a as good as Downing. Like Downing he can have good games and bad games. Unlike Downing he is mobile which you have to be in the Championship. People forget how bad Downing has been against mobile strikers. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Morning all

Fascinating insight into Mowbrays approach to the transfer window here. All very honest and you would have to say practical

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17383775.mowbray-on-why-rovers-havent-made-any-january-signings/ 

I found this quote most interesting. I wonder who he is talking about 

“Have we got the numbers to go and take someone out of our rivals in this league? They won’t be cheap and you’d have to pay over the odds and hope they grow in to an asset.

On the quotes about players from Europe though. I understand his point of view, but it proves what a lost of us speculated about him largely favouring British and Irish players or guys who have come through the youth set up like Raya. You ain't arriving over from European football and getting straight into Tonys team! Not sure I fully agree with him. There are obviously bargains to be had, but you certainly need to have done your scouting. 

As you say, there are plenty of bargains to be had abroad and these quotes would have more substance if he hadnt also ignored the prospect of signings from overseas in the summer too. His recruitment seems incredibly limited and the same names seem to crop up, Chapman and Gallagher for example, we need to be more open minded as there are players out there as other Championship teams have proved that are better than some of the same names that keep cropping up. And before people start giving examples of foreign flops, I give you Gladwin, Samuel, Whittingham and Brereton, there are good and bad players everywhere.

Many seem to be happy to write off this season, bring through youth players (we already have the pick of that with Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis and Nuttall regularly featuring) and build for next year. I cant fathom it at all. Theres another window, another chance to at least try and progress the squad (ie another window) to improve the quality and of course push to finish as high as is possible, not be content with where we are, and write it off as a good job at the end of January. Totally baffling.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As you say, there are plenty of bargains to be had abroad and these quotes would have more substance if he hadnt also ignored the prospect of signings from overseas in the summer too. His recruitment seems incredibly limited and the same names seem to crop up, Chapman and Gallagher for example, we need to be more open minded as there are players out there as other Championship teams have proved that are better than some of the same names that keep cropping up. And before people start giving examples of foreign flops, I give you Gladwin, Samuel, Whittingham and Brereton, there are good and bad players everywhere.

Many seem to be happy to write off this season, bring through youth players (we already have the pick of that with Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis and Nuttall regularly featuring) and build for next year. I cant fathom it at all. Theres another window, another chance to at least try and progress the squad (ie another window) to improve the quality and of course push to finish as high as is possible, not be content with where we are, and write it off as a good job at the end of January. Totally baffling.

I don't think Mowbray and the team are happy to settle for where we are judging off every comment I have read from them 

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Or the fact he's laughing it off means he's confident of getting him to sign, if he wants him.  Lad undoubtedly has sone talent but how many games a season would you get from him? Already been injured a couple of times.  All depends on what he'd want I expect.

You could argue the same about Mulgrews injury record and Lenihan missed half of last season and several games this season as has Williams. I just think that we need to tie him down or potentially spend a lot of money to bring in a centre half not nearly as good.

In all honesty the article comes across as flippant from Mowbray.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Obviously this a forum for debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, some seem to genuinely believe that they know better than a man who has spent around 40 years in professional football, has largely compiled the squad and sees the players in training every day. Astonishing.

Managers get sacked on a regular basis in football. Most of them have been in football all their lives. Usually they get sacked because they get things badly wrong. None of them are infallible.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Morning all

Fascinating insight into Mowbrays approach to the transfer window here. All very honest and you would have to say practical

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17383775.mowbray-on-why-rovers-havent-made-any-january-signings/ 

“Have we got the numbers to go and take someone out of our rivals in this league? They won’t be cheap and you’d have to pay over the odds and hope they grow in to an asset.

On the quotes about players from Europe though. I understand his point of view, but it proves what a lost of us speculated about him largely favouring British and Irish players or guys who have come through the youth set up like Raya. You ain't arriving over from European football and getting straight into Tonys team! Not sure I fully agree with him. There are obviously bargains to be had, but you certainly need to have done your scouting. 

All fairly sensible but also totally at odds with the Brereton signing 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tomphil said:

Not sure I buy into the separate pot as that kind of money could've been spread around several young players i'm more along the lines of it was some of  the extra in income from going up being allowed to be spent. Maybe the surplus of this years budget for the first instalment after all the pay rises etc ?

I agree there was probably certain criteria but was it laid down or recommended ?   Seems there was a rush to tie that money up in something before it was swallowed up on something else and this signing was a bit of a knee jerk when they became aware he was available.

All our money comes from Pune.

So if they say "I will give you £7m if you buy me a young British forward on low wages with low risk and high potential sales value", you cannot say I'd prefer a bag of smarties please. 

For all the people who don’t take every word Mowbray says as gospel or do think that his recruitment is poor and team selections regularly odd, there are also those who believe he is completely infallible - Jesus Christ himself - and hang on his every word.

Lots of sound bites in this link:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16404344.money-available-to-strengthen-further-admits-rovers-boss/

He got Rovers promoted from L1 (in second place) with the highest budget in the league then went and spent £7m on a badly scouted player and hasn’t yet spotted that we have a problem with a lack of defenders. If he gets us promoted out of this division then he will have earned bragging rights but until then he is definitely up there to be asked questions of.

• Like 2

Just now, philipl said:

So if they say "I will give you £7m if you buy me a young British forward on low wages with low risk and high potential sales value", you cannot say I'd prefer a bag of smarties please. 

If Rovers are spending £7 Million on a young forward then that is a high risk signing. But that is pure speculation do you really think that a man of Mowbray's integrity would stomach being told what type of signings to make by the owners?  I don't I have no doubt that Brereton is Mowbray's signing but because so far he has been a flop people seem desperate to absolve Mowbray of making the signing and do the easy thing which is pin the blame on the owners. 

21 minutes ago, philipl said:

Well no it doesn't really does it unless the club garners no income at all itself it's the shortfall that comes from Pune although no doubt all the banking is done over there but the ok probably does emit from the farmhouse.

My thinking is they've ok'd a certain budget based on an increased income from promotion and when all the pay rises that have been dished out have been factored in they've had a bit left so that's gone on the down payment for BB.  It was in the allocated budget so if it wasn't spent on someone it would've gone on something else hence the need to get it invested in something that might turn out to be an asset versus maybe again paying some deadwood off or something.

Problem there is the next instalments swallow up the same surplus in any budget over the next few years so unless it's increased or there are sales we could be looking at not much in the way of buying players again. Didn't we end up in a similar situation with Rhodes being paid for in instalments ?   I'd like to think someone says i'll bung in a few million extra to cover this to buy him but it just doesn't seem to work like that with them and probably wouldn't with FFP anyway.

Besides do you really think someone said that to him ? Anyway some would probably tell you he'd have been better off with the smarties.....

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Morning all

I really don't get why he is so reluctant to sign from abroad. He seems like a manager who in the transfer market is a few years behind his contemporaries as over the last few years there have been a lot of players who have come from abroad and adapted very well to the Championship and many have offered much better value than their British counterparts.  Also if a player does come in from abroad in January but doesn't have an immediate impact you can still get him in during January and integrate him into the team, he gets to know his team mates, adapt to a new country, get up to speed with a new league and by pre season he is well integrated and ready to make an impact come August. A rather short term outlook from Mowbray in contrast to how he has previously spoken.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How so? 

Well maybe he’s just realised we paid ‘over the odds’ and it’s not going as planned just yet 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Missing a trick with this Maja lad. 1.5-3 million plus Brereton on loan would be good all round

When you say “good all round”, you are presumably not including Sunderland in that...?

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Who's that then? Have you got some posts to quote? Or are you just going to admire the view from your high horse?

You seem a bit angry. Settle down.

I think it's fair to point out that there are some self appointed experts who give the impression that they know better than anyone else. Some of them have thousands of posts to their names so maybe that qualifies them? Fair enough for them to express that view, it's not for me to say whether or not that's permissible, I'll leave that to haughty 'World Cup' stars with almost 12,000 posts under their belt. 

Hopefully Mr World Cup thinks that it's ok for me to suggest, from my elevated equine vantage point, that the self appointed experts know the square route of diddly in comparison with seasoned football professionals.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

You seem a bit angry. Settle down.

I think it's fair to point out that there are some self appointed experts who give the impression that they know better than anyone else. Some of them have thousands of posts to their names so maybe that qualifies them? Fair enough for them to express that view, it's not for me to say whether or not that's permissible, I'll leave that to haughty 'World Cup' stars with almost 12,000 posts under their belt. 

Hopefully Mr World Cup thinks that it's ok for me to suggest, from my elevated equine vantage point, that the self appointed experts know the square route of diddly in comparison with seasoned football professionals.

Not angry at all, just frustrated that people just smear posters on here without substance, but then strangely saying they've a right to that opinion.

If posters can't discuss what the manager does, we might as well close the message board down. 

Remember, by your logic, as Roversfan99 pointed out, that would mean that Kean and Coyle couldn't be questioned as they are 'seasoned football professionals'.

Thank goodness for our ability to question things!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Not angry at all, just frustrated that people just smear posters on here without substance, but then strangely saying they've a right to that opinion.

If posters can't discuss what the manager does, we might as well close the message board down. 

Remember, by your logic, as Roversfan99 pointed out, that would mean that Kean and Coyle couldn't be questioned as they are 'seasoned football professionals'.

Agreed. It’s far more entertaining for me to just try and point our how everyone else is always criminally wrong.

10 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yourself and Roversfan99 et al maybe didn't read my opening sentence (well, you must have and chose to ignore it) which, in a nutshell, acknowledged that this is a forum for debate and the sharing of opinion. I was just frustrated that some contributors don't question the manager's decisions but relegate them to being inferior to what their own would be.

By Roversfan99's logic we are to conflate the careers, experience and integrity of messrs  Kean, Coyle and Mowbray, so...………...

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon

I'm a little disheartened by Mowbrays comments about foreign markets. You look at Norwich and a key portion of their squad have been plucked cheaply from the German 2nd division, like with France a few years ago there's always a few markets with good value for money. He must have reasons for doing this probably due to a poor scouting structure. But he also said that he's unlikely to go for lower league players like say North End or doing. It gives a very limited pool of players to pick from especially when you consider we aren't throwing big money in wages around.

• Like 5