BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

If we can't BA I'd go for gestede, he's at Boro too and according to a report I saw available. Would play the Graham role very well.

Gestede has had a series of injuries since he left Ewood. It'd be like the time we brought Fred Pickering back. A pale shadow of his former self. I'd keep well away.

13 minutes ago, Madon said:

He was there yesterday, today and tomorrow I have since found out (Supposedly)

there being here (Brockhall) or there (Boro)?

Ok seen the answer.

There means there. 

It is all there to me in Malta. 

Edited by philipl

• Backroom
Just now, Neal said:

Maddona... If you're wrong I think you should get a kick up the arse and a dead shoulder from each one of us... Playground style. 

Haha I never claimed to be right, but I'm rarely wrong ?

I know you’d look to fit a £15 million pound striker in somewhere - but where does he fit into, firstly our side and secondly, into our style of play? Unless TM is changing formation (personally don’t see that given his success with it) then he has to displace Graham who is the focal point of our side and plays that role expertly. BA is no target man. 

Perhaps someone who has seen more than I have of him being a fine goal scorer (no arguements there) can elaborate? And for the love of God nobody suggest to play him out wide.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

22 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

Whoever made this whole rumour up must be p!ssing themselves!! Let’s all be sensible for a second and actually contemplate the thought of folking out 40/50k a week on his salary....and now back to the real world...

Have you not heard about Waggotts Flex? It’s a free transfer but we’re paying him 300k a week.

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I know you’d look to fit a £15 million pound striker in somewhere - but where does he fit into, firstly our side and secondly, into our style of play? Unless TM is changing formation (personally don’t see that given his success with it) then he has to displace Graham who is the focal point of our side and plays that role expertly. BA is no target man. 

Perhaps someone who has seen more than I have of him being a fine goal scorer (no arguements there) can elaborate? And for the love of God nobody suggest to play him out wide.

I’d imagine we would be in a mess if Graham is injured. Plus he fades in second half of match. So guess as impact sub/ cover??

9 minutes ago, markhayhurst said:

I’d imagine we would be in a mess if Graham is injured. Plus he fades in second half of match. So guess as impact sub/ cover??

Not a chance he’d be coming to play as a super sub. 

Regarding my question of suitability to our style of play, I came across this on a Boro forum. He ain’t no Graham replacement by the sounds of things:

‘I think the critics look at other parts of his game and notice certain limitations. His hold up play and touch is very poor, because of this he can't really bring other players into the game with his back to goal. His work rate isn't very good and he's not someone who can run into channels and stretch teams. In my opinion these limitations in his game mean you can't really play him up front on his own. 

I think you'd get the best out of him playing a very attacking line-up with another striker just in behind him and wingers who can put crosses into the box. The question with Britt is he good enough to lead the line for a team who will challenge for promotion, I'm not sure he is.’

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

21 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Can never have too many good strikers.

Well, I won't be holding my breath on this one, but I can't quite believe the number of people with reservations when it comes to this. 

We have a genuine chance of making the playoffs. I wouldn't bet on us making it there right now, but if we are going to make a run we will need investment in the team. The championship is a tough league, there's nothing to say that we will be this close to the playoffs/promotion this time next season. 

Where will he play? Well, we have an ageing forward up front who is hardly scoring for fun. He's playing well, he's good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, but I'm not sure if that actually brings the best out of the talent that he has around him. We desperately need a bit of pace to stretch teams and this could be just the thing. 

Now, I still don't expect it to come off as it seems a totally un-Rovers thing to happen, but I would be delighted if it did.  

• Like 1

If we fail to win promotion Dack will be long gone in the summer I think. He will want to test his luck in the Premier League, and BA would boost our chances next season if we stay in this league. Maybe they're funding the deal on the Dack money we'll receive in May - August, or it will balance itself out with the bonus we'll get from winning promotion...

I really hope Madon is right on this one, we could really do with another striker other than Graham who can lead the line for 90 minutes. 

• Like 2

I'm one of the most pessimistic around when it comes to Venkys and their intentions/behaviour, but one thing that never ceases to irritate me is the constant 'how can we afford it?'line that gets thrown out every time we are linked with a big move in the transfer market. It seems plenty are happy to sit back and watch as rivals all around us spend tens of millions of pounds a year on proven players yet the moment that gets mentioned at Rovers it's question marks and alarm bells.

Fact is we're in the same boat as we've always been. If Venkys want to spend millions on players there is nothing stopping them from doing that. Ffp rules haven't stopped others from doing it. We're currently in arguably our best shape on and off the pitch since 2011 so there's no time like the present to splash out.

Whilst a player of Assombalonga's level would cost it would almost certainly be a multi year payment plan as with Brereton so it can be spread out for Ffp purposes and also offset by a sale or two. Wages would be considerable but again, if Venkys want to add to the payroll that is entirely up to them. Assombalonga has spent his career outside the top division so I'd be surprised if he was on mega money.

All this talk about a slow build or not bringing in any big earners. Nonsense. If you want to go places you act swiftly to evolve and improve. You don't improve by never paying bigger wages out or waiting months or years down the line.

Imagine how the 90s would have gone if Jack Walker and Kenny had refused to buy new quality or increase the wage bill...

I still doubt this one will happen as he doesn't seem to me to fit the Mowbray mould and we've had all this sort of thing before with rumours of big signings that don't materialise. One thing that does stack up is of course the Middlesbrough connection with Mowbray which may well work in our favour, but whether it does happen or not I wish people would accept that if we wanted it to then it could happen.  Comes down to what mood Venkys are in, as ever.

• Like 3