BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His wages and transfer fee doesnt fit anywhere near our current budgets. 

Pipedream of a signing

To be fair Chaddy you were saying Gestede was an unattainable player for us due to his wages and our budgets, yet subsequently linked him to Ipswich Town.

Simple fact is none of us know what money players are on, what our budget is or indeed if Venkys have authorised an increase to the budget. They are perfectly capable and entitled to increase the funding to the manager should they wish and to be honest I'd be alarmed if they weren't prepared to at this stage with the top 6 tantalisingly close and us on an impressive run of form. They should be knocking Mowbray's office door down asking him what more he needs to continue our upward momentum.

I wouldn't go as far to say it is a 'pipedream' signing. It would be an impressive and unexpected piece of business were we to land him and potentially a 'difference making' signing mid-season, but I agree it is unlikely to happen, as we seem to be extremely cautious in our recruitment and would be reluctant to add someone who might upset the balance we have.

Richard Sharpe is doing his usual routine of playing it safe from all angles. I don't get why people even bother asking him. Even if he knew something he would likely be sworn to secrecy by the club until it was done. His only sources are employed by Rovers so he is only going to know what they feed him and is only going to go public with it as and when they want him to. Waste of time worrying about what he says. The usual is 'not sure, will look into it' or 'he's one we've looked at but not first choice' or 'wages might be an issue there'. Covers all bases.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

Assombalonga would't be the first footballer ever to take a wage cut to move on in his career. Nobody is paying his current wages, anywhere in any division.

So he either takes a cut or he continues to sit on the bench/at right back or wherever else Pulis plays him recently.

Just now, Madon said:

Waggott is due back from his 3 day binge in the North East today, let's see what the next couple of days bring. 

I still believe it's happening.  

I'm like everyone else, how the hell do we afford him? But i trust the info ?

I never said your info is wrong or had a go at you. 

I just look and this no way will this happening

Lets suppose Assombalonga is on £40-50,000 a week at Middlesbrough. I don't know, just guessing. Pulis doesn't rate him or want him and wants to bring in someone else but given their wage bill has to get rid of some not in his plans first.

Rovers offer to take him on loan until May whilst paying 50% of his salary.

Pulis is happy - gets shut of a player he doesn't want until the summer, Assombalonga gets to play more football and still gets his wage, Middlesbrough save £20k a week on the wage bill to put towards someone else. Assombalonga does well here then his transfer fee rises for the summer. We get a player for a few months that 'makes a statement' and gives us a better chance of making the play-offs. Fans happy at us making a big signing. Low risk to Rovers as we're only committed to an extra salary for 5 months, the majority of which will be covered by letting Palmer go.

That's the way it will work, IF it happens.

Just now, JHRover said:

Lets suppose Assombalonga is on £40-50,000 a week at Middlesbrough. I don't know, just guessing. Pulis doesn't rate him or want him and wants to bring in someone else but given their wage bill has to get rid of some not in his plans first.

Rovers offer to take him on loan until May whilst paying 50% of his salary.

Pulis is happy - gets shut of a player he doesn't want until the summer, Assombalonga gets to play more football and still gets his wage, Middlesbrough save £20k a week on the wage bill to put towards someone else. Assombalonga does well here then his transfer fee rises for the summer. We get a player for a few months that 'makes a statement' and gives us a better chance of making the play-offs. Fans happy at us making a big signing. Low risk to Rovers as we're only committed to an extra salary for 5 months, the majority of which will be covered by letting Palmer go.

That's the way it will work, IF it happens.

Who's to say we don't commit to a transfer fee but stagger it over 4/5 years like Brereton's is supposed to be?

I'm with you in that he will be brought in on loan, at least initially. If at all. 

Get the feeling the balls in our court though and if we want it then it's there for us. Do we go for it or go 'safe' and put all our eggs in Gallaghers basket? (Linked with Boro)

• Backroom

If we aren't prepared to break our wage structure every so often for a top player then it's unlikely we'll ever get anywhere. What are we supposed to do, gradually increase every player's wages to absurd amounts before signing somebody on a big wage? If Venky's and Mowbray are serious about promotion then at times the wage structure should be broken to attract a top talent. Obviously big expectations and responsibilities will be placed on that player, but that's why they'd be earning big money.

There aren't that many players we have in our team who I'd say could complain if Assombalonga came in on big wages. Most of them are on a very fair wage for their overall talents and/or age. The only player I could think may be justified in asking for parity would be Dack. Possibly Graham and Mulgrew as well but at their ages they won't be here for too much longer anyway. The rest are on wages befitting their talent/ability imo, and if a player like Assombalonga came in and propelled the team to greater heights then chances are anybody playing regularly would benefit from higher wages in future as the team would collectively look better. 

All this talk about disrupting the harmony of the dressing room comes off to me as people being happy with mediocrity and stumbling around the Championship in mid-table forevermore. There's nothing wrong with ambition and that usually brings change as well. 

That all said, do I expect Assombalonga to show up? No, not really. Not doubting Madon's information but until it's signed and sealed I won't be holding my breath. That said I never expected us to drop £8m on Rhodes back in 2012, or £7m on Brereton this summer, so it's not like anybody can really predict what our owners will do next. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

A few comments about our wage structure, but let's be fair, none of us are on the board, so we've no idea what people are on, so any comments suggesting so are speculation at best, really.

Remember, there have been a number of contract renewals following promotion and if those didn't include pay rises, I'll plait fog!!

Assombalonga would be a hell of a signing, but assuming it's on loan until the end of the season at 50% of his estimated 'Boro wages of £50k per week, then that would still be a fair bit, but it could work in the favour of both parties really. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

£50,000 a week at Boro? Christ almighty!!!!! 

What they're allegedly paying some players in the second division would make your hair curl.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

£50,000 a week at Boro? Christ almighty!!!!! 

You missed it yesterday. People were claiming 70k as genuine estimates. 

From Boro's local rag, when he signed "It is understood the move will double his £20,000 Forest wages and includes rich goal bonuses while promotion would see his earnings soar to £60,000 a week - £3m a year". So looks like he's on £40k plus bonuses,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AAK said:

From Boro's local rag, when he signed "It is understood the move will double his £20,000 Forest wages and includes rich goal bonuses while promotion would see his earnings soar to £60,000 a week - £3m a year". So looks like he's on £40k plus bonuses,

I would have said 40 tops but reckon in the 30s

50 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No it's technically not.  We pay half his wages until the end of the season, so he'd be on what Danny is on probably.  No initial outlay, no gamble, only a shot at the play offs.......come on chaddy.....if you'd have found it trawling through your Nicko etc cronies, then you'd have a right hard on for it.....

Danny is never on 50k p/w ?

Seriously, I’m sure I read BA was signed on 30-40k p/w. Nearly doubled his wage from Forest, and he signed for them from League One.

One year at 35k or another 3 years at 20k, back in the shop window, playing and pushing for playoffs - would you sign?

Edited by S8 & Blue