BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Perhaps a heavily weighted appearances type contract which is why they are freezing him out.

There are ways around it like offering the loyalty bonus if you see your contract out or the club sells you where you get a lump at the end and a bit less per week.

Got to be careful we don't end up in Leon Best territory with this though if there is actually anything in it.

Just now, tomphil said:

Perhaps a heavily weighted appearances type contract which is why they are freezing him out.

There are ways around it like offering the loyalty bonus if you see your contract out or the club sells you where you get a lump at the end and a bit less per week.

Got to be careful we don't end up in Leon Best territory with this though if there is actually anything in it.

Agreed - I really would rather have Gallagher on 15k than Assombalonga on 40k. This club has been through hell and back due to spending too much. Imagine we sign him on 40k and he breaks both his legs!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

Agreed - I really would rather have Gallagher on 15k than Assombalonga on 40k. This club has been through hell and back due to spending too much. Imagine we sign him on 40k and he breaks both his legs!

Isnt Gallagher on 25k though at Saints? 

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

You can't be thinking like that. I like Gallagher, but Assombalonga would be a far more exciting signing. He is proven Championship quality. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Isnt Gallagher on 25k though at Saints? 

He is indeed. Rather we paid half of Assombalonga's 40k wages than all of Sam Gallaghers 25k...

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You can't be thinking like that. I like Gallagher, but Assombalonga would be a far more exciting signing. He is proven Championship quality. 

Exactly you get what you pay for. Gallagher a decent centre forward, will do a job and get a few goals. Assombalonga is the sort of player that could fire a team to promotion, he is a natural and proven goal scorer.

• Like 2

If we do get Assombalonga then we are aiming for promotion. That is the only scenario where it really doesn't matter if we pay him £40,000 a week. That salary is so small compared to the premier league money promotion generates.

I would be surprised if Venkys were taking that gamble though. Realistically we can aim for the play offs, automatic promotion is too far a gap. 

There is the chance that the club are assuming Dack will be sold in summer and this is the replacement purchase with the hope that if we get promoted we obviously keep them both.

• Like 1

Say we did sign Assombalonga for 10 million and were paying him big wages. If we weren’t too go up this season or next we’d be f***ed wouldn’t we? Especially after already spending 7 on BB? We are still operating at a relatively big loss every season aren’t we? Someone please explain too me how we could fork out for Assombalonga and not put the club at risk of FFP?

Just now, OnePhilT said:

At first, and this is disregarding @Madon's little nuggets (sorry!), the thought of Assombalonga coming here, even on loan, seems totally wild.

Then again, I think it's time to stop underestimating ourselves. When you consider our position in the league, where we've just come from, the momentum, and the camaraderie amongst the players, we must be starting to look like a top six outfit that ambitious players want to come and play for.

I'm nowhere near as worried about the financial situation in comparison to when the management was a shambles, so I think we've got our financial ducks in a row. If we can afford half of his wages for six months or whatever, bugger it - let's do it and make the most of this momentum we've currently got, because we shouldn't take it for granted, and we would be in with one hell of a shout of the play-offs if Assombalonga came into the fold.

Precisely, in the position we are in even paying all of his wages is a gamble worth taking. 

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

Say we did sign Assombalonga for 10 million and were paying him big wages. If we weren’t too go up this season or next we’d be f***ed wouldn’t we? Especially after already spending 7 on BB? We are still operating at a relatively big loss every season aren’t we? Someone please explain too me how we could fork out for Assombalonga and not put the club at risk of FFP?

If Villa aren't yet, don't see how we would be. Plus there are always sales. For the first time in a while, we have a lot of sellable assets. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

All the noises that come out of the club regarding wages/transfers generally always surround Financial Fair Play and the limits imposed up on us.

You would have to assume that we would only sign BA if we could actually afford him and not break the FFP rules, whether this is offset through an expected sale (Looking at you Dack) remains to be seen.

We'll find out soon enough but i suspect Gallagher will rock up on a loan with a view and that will be us done.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17392688.where-things-stand-on-rovers-search-for-a-new-striker/

Personally I think the bit about Britt sounds mostly speculative rather than highly informed, just from how he has written it.

Edited by bluebruce

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Sharpe doesn't know very much does he? Hate it when reporters put the word "understood" before everything they write. Means they can write any old rubbish and even if it it turns out to be absolute nonsense they can still claim it's what they've been told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I'd rather we sign Jay Rodriguez and he breaks both his legs.

Didn't way pay Jordan Rhodes more per week than Assombalonga is currently on?

Didn't Sam Gallagher supposedly get a pay rise at Southampton after his loan here... are we even sure there is much difference between the two... £10k difference seems speculated (£25k vs £35-40k)

Gallagher will still cost a fair few million too don't forget. So take into account the 50% discount for 6 months, then isn't Assombalonga at £9m with an 'option' actually the cheaper option for the rest of this season and beyond a much better proven deal? Not to mention a better player?

Palmers wages saved this month. Whittingham, Caddis, Downing and Gladwins wages will (fully) be a thing of the past come July. Pretty sure that is £20-35k+ on literal deadwood. Plus Conway and Leutwiler will be on expired deals who could be replaced with better and maybe even cheaper, younger players, or take another pay cut.

Danny Graham will be a year older... ask yourself who you would rather be our lone forward in 2020 between Gallacher, Nuttall, Armstrong, Brereton and Assombalonga. £35k might be high, but it's hardly Armageddon style spending... not when you have a £20m+ Dack likely to go within 4 Windows.

#teamAsso.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 6