BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, RovingRover said:

Interesting comments from Mowbray about Chapman.
He basically heavily hinted that Boro really haven't been taking care of the lad.
They had been willing to put him on the bench and use him as an impact sub. But upon the Sports Science evaluating Chapman for his medical, they suggested he was at least 3-6 weeks of intensive gym workout away from being fit to play.

Chapman himself said during his interview that a lack of game time at any level was behind his repeat injuries.

Well time will tell on that. He seemed inury prone to me. Hopefully he can build himself up to the point where he is able to contribute week in week out for prolonged periods. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Given Mowbrays often public show of fairness I honestly can't see us paying wages which are not on parity with the current highest earners. One sure fire way of upsetting the spirit and morale of the current squad is by bringing somebody in and paying them way above senior players.

As with the Brereton signing, is there a possibility that Mowbray doesn't really have the final say on these matters? 

14 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Hilarious that people think we’ll sign Assombalonga on loan until the end of the season and only pay half his wages - most Championship clubs would be in for him if that was the case, and we’d unfortunately have no chance.

If we did that there'd be a loan fee for sure...such that we may as well pay all his wages. The only reason to split it would be to be able to keep telling other players we don't pay those wages.

6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Hilarious that people think we’ll sign Assombalonga on loan until the end of the season and only pay half his wages - most Championship clubs would be in for him if that was the case, and we’d unfortunately have no chance.

Not sure on that. If he's on £40-50k then even half of his wage would be £20-25k per week. I think it's safe to assume that the majority of Championship clubs couldn't pay that for a player on loan. No chance that Ipswich, Bolton, Rotherham, Brentford, QPR, Millwall, Birmingham, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Hull, Wigan, PNE would be able to cough up those sort of wages at this point. Then we've WBA, Villa, Stoke, Derby who probably could afford him but already have plenty of other options already at their clubs. Norwich and Leeds doing fine as it is. I'd say we're in a small group of clubs there along with others like Bristol City and Forest of not only needing reinforcements up top but also being in a position to pay decent wages should our owners allow us to do so.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly if a Premier League club came in with a bigger contract offer, his relationship with Mowbray would almost certainly be rendered meaningless in his desire to move on in his career and it would be difficult to keep him then. Hopefully that wont happen and I havent written off him being here next season by any stretch but lets be realistic.

who knows?

Not everyone is obsess by money but maybe Dack will look at how much he will play and the role he will play. The relationship between a manager and a player is vital. 

Dack has always commented on the relationship between him and Mowbray being a good one.

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

To be fair Chaddy you were saying Gestede was an unattainable player for us due to his wages and our budgets, yet subsequently linked him to Ipswich Town.

Simple fact is none of us know what money players are on, what our budget is or indeed if Venkys have authorised an increase to the budget. They are perfectly capable and entitled to increase the funding to the manager should they wish and to be honest I'd be alarmed if they weren't prepared to at this stage with the top 6 tantalisingly close and us on an impressive run of form. They should be knocking Mowbray's office door down asking him what more he needs to continue our upward momentum.

I wouldn't go as far to say it is a 'pipedream' signing. It would be an impressive and unexpected piece of business were we to land him and potentially a 'difference making' signing mid-season, but I agree it is unlikely to happen, as we seem to be extremely cautious in our recruitment and would be reluctant to add someone who might upset the balance we have.

Richard Sharpe is doing his usual routine of playing it safe from all angles. I don't get why people even bother asking him. Even if he knew something he would likely be sworn to secrecy by the club until it was done. His only sources are employed by Rovers so he is only going to know what they feed him and is only going to go public with it as and when they want him to. Waste of time worrying about what he says. The usual is 'not sure, will look into it' or 'he's one we've looked at but not first choice' or 'wages might be an issue there'. Covers all bases.

Did Gestede move to Ipswich? 

I would say Mulgrew or Graham is on about 20k tops here so it would take a massive drop in wages for us to even sign Assombolonga from himself. 

3 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Turned down the Dingles because they only offered 35k whilst  Boro offered 40k

Thankyou for sharing this info

Just now, JHRover said:

Not sure on that. If he's on £40-50k then even half of his wage would be £20-25k per week. I think it's safe to assume that the majority of Championship clubs couldn't pay that for a player on loan. No chance that Ipswich, Bolton, Rotherham, Brentford, QPR, Millwall, Birmingham, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Hull, Wigan, PNE would be able to cough up those sort of wages at this point. Then we've WBA, Villa, Stoke, Derby who probably could afford him but already have plenty of other options already at their clubs. Norwich and Leeds doing fine as it is. I'd say we're in a small group of not only needing reinforcements up top but also being in a position to pay decent wages should Venkys allow us to do so.

He’s scored 1 in 2 in the Championship, 20k per week is a snip for most of the bigger clubs you mentioned - of course there’d be interest. We’d have to pay way above the odds to get him.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Did Gestede move to Ipswich? 

I would say Mulgrew or Graham is on about 20k tops here so it would take a massive drop in wages for us to even sign Assombolonga from himself. 

Thankyou for sharing this info

No he didn't. But you were throwing Ipswich out there as a potential destination shortly after saying we had no chance due to the cost.

If those figures are correct and Graham is on 20k a week then a loan at 50% of his wage is more or less on that figure for Assombalonga. Again I'm not saying it is likely to happen but it wouldn't surprise me if that is the sort of deal we're looking at and Middlesbrough might fancy saving themselves 16 weeks at £20,000 = £320,000 to allow him to come here for the next 17 games rather than sit on their bench if Pulis doesn't like him. If he comes here and notches 10 goals his value will increase and they'll have a better chance of selling him come the summer. That's the incentive for Boro.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

"As with" How so definite? I haven;t seen any sources say Mowbray doesn't have the final say on players 

Make what you will of it... heard from someone within the club that Mowbray wanted Brereton in the U23 squad last week but Waggot stopped it as ‘It wouldn’t look good’.

1 minute ago, RV Blue said:

He’s scored 1 in 2 in the Championship, 20k per week is a snip for most of the bigger clubs you mentioned - of course there’d be interest. We’d have to pay way above the odds to get him.

Which bigger clubs are you referring to? Villa and Derby don't need him, they're already well equipped. WBA and Stoke probably have more cash but aren't bigger clubs and again probably don't need to waste their time with a 4 month loan. Norwich and Leeds on their way to promotion with what they've got. Sheff Utd doing well and aren't a rich enough club to be able to throw £20,000+ a week at a loan. Birmingham and Sheff Weds are heavily restricted on signings. Not sure who else there is who are richer than us who are more attractive at this moment in time.

• Like 2

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Ear to the ground

Mmm

Just now, Miller11 said:

Make what you will of it... heard from someone within the club that Mowbray wanted Brereton in the U23 squad last week but Waggot stopped it as ‘It wouldn’t look good’.

That's different from Mowbray not having the final say on signing him.

I would take all that with a pinch of salt to me honest. Sounds a bit too verbatim to be real. Plus more experienced players who were't getting game time went with the under 23s, so I don't see why anyone would stop Brereton going with them. 

However I do think a spell with the under 23s would be good. 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Seconded

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How many times did you see him play in the flesh when he was here?

You don't need to see a player in the flesh to know what they are like. I have A 65 inch 4K tv which I connect my Laptop when watching games. I can see plenty. 

Seeing him more in the flesh doesn't make you more of an expert. In fact you mentioned his spell at Birmingham showing he hasn't kicked on. How many times did you watch him play for them, in the flesh or on TV? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

It will look a lot worse when he continues to bomb because he is criminally short of fitness and confidence.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Which bigger clubs are you referring to? Villa and Derby don't need him, they're already well equipped. WBA and Stoke probably have more cash but aren't bigger clubs and again probably don't need to waste their time with a 4 month loan. Norwich and Leeds on their way to promotion with what they've got. Sheff Utd doing well and aren't a rich enough club to be able to throw £20,000+ a week at a loan. Birmingham and Sheff Weds are heavily restricted on signings. Not sure who else there is who are richer than us who are more attractive at this moment in time.

Bristol City, Nottingham Forest, Swansea (if they get rid of Bony). All are in a similar position to us looking for that little bit extra to push themselves into the top 6.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't need to see a player in the flesh to know what they are like. I have A 65 inch 4K tv which I connect my Laptop to when watching games. I can see plenty. 

Seeing him more in the flesh doesn't make you more of an expert. In fact you mentioned his spell at Birmingham showing he hasn't kicked on. How many times did you watch him play for them, in the flesh or on TV? 

Armchair experts....always the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffRover said:

Is there any movement on Sam Gallagher? Madon posted I think it was on Saturday that he was likely to come back, but there doesn't seem to be any movement at all yet.

read Rich Sharpe article on the Lancashire Telegraph

1 hour ago, Madon said:

I think it is looking like one or the other now to be honest, Assombalonga being the number 1 target.

would it be a transfer or loan? how would it work Wages wise?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Given Mowbrays often public show of fairness I honestly can't see us paying wages which are not on parity with the current highest earners. One sure fire way of upsetting the spirit and morale of the current squad is by bringing somebody in and paying them way above senior players.

That as been one of my main points. doesn't fit in what Mowbray has built as the team

50 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Can I ask what you're prepared to do if it does happen?

Nothing! 

what are you're prepared to do if it doesn't happen

29 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Interesting comments from Mowbray about Chapman.
He basically heavily hinted that Boro really haven't been taking care of the lad.
They had been willing to put him on the bench and use him as an impact sub. But upon the Sports Science evaluating Chapman for his medical, they suggested he was at least 3-6 weeks of intensive gym workout away from being fit to play.

Chapman himself said during his interview that a lack of game time at any level was behind his repeat injuries.

I found them very interesting and show how young players aren't look after by some managers like Pulis

5 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

As with the Brereton signing, is there a possibility that Mowbray doesn't really have the final say on these matters? 

I believe Mowbray was behind the signing

“Brad, as a show of intent we’re bringing in Assombalonga on loan. He earns a lot more than you but we think that you and him can fire us to promotion. Do that and you’ll be on 50k p/wk. Make him feel welcome, cheers”

End of conversation.

• Like 4