BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, AJW said:

Is it Possible that Waggots  trip to the north east hasn't been as successful as he'd hoped and moving on to the next on the list ? Hence the Austin link ??

Surely 3 days in the North East must mean more than just Assombalonga. Murphy? Gestede? 

I hope we see another one in today and then that should make tomorrow a little less stressful? 

All this talk of unsettling others due to their wages is quite nonsense really. The best players should earn more - take Dack as an example who must already be on parity with the top earners but is now seemingly negotiating being the best paid player. Would anyone in the squad bemoan him of this or at the very least have a justified argument against it happening? 

There is no doubt that BA is one of the best strikers in this league and with his goal return alone would justify being one of our best paid players. As others have mentioned, if he were to help fire us to the PL, you can bet that most of our other players would benefit financially too. Whether thats merely a promotion bonus or being given a new contract on PL wages, they will all benefit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Surely 3 days in the North East must mean more than just Assombalonga. Murphy? Gestede? 

I hope we see another one in today and then that should make tomorrow a little less stressful? 

Perhaps the fact that he is from the north-east, a Newcastle fan as a lad, and may well have been visiting family for all we know and not anything to do with transfers.  

Edited by Parsonblue
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Butty said:

I think with the way we play Austin would suit us better than Assombalonga personally. Half his wages on loan to the end of the season sounds sensible too me.. Fulham got Mitrovic on loan last season and he got them up. If we could pull this off it would be a massive statement of intent.

It would also massively piss off our neighbours of the 6 fingered variety! Given that they booed Jones last night every time he touched the ball, their reaction in next year's derby would be worth the price of admission!

(PS---that's if Burnley stay up of course!)  :lol:

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Fair enough. Your strike rate thus far might lead me to have a fiver on it happening? Outgoings? 

Not aware of any outgoings, I'd say Nuttall on loan if we get BA in but that would be me guessing in honesty!

15 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Perhaps the fact that he is from the north-east, a Newcastle fan as a lad, and may well have been visiting family for all we know and not anything to do with transfers.  

If he's been visiting family when there's a promotion push on the cards then I'll not be happy. Come on Steve, bring us home a couple of marquee signings. (Not Ronaldinho) 

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

It would also massively piss off our neighbours of the 6 fingered variety! Given that they booed Jones last night every time he touched the ball, their reaction in next year's derby would be worth the price of admission!

(PS---that's if Burnley stay up of course!)  :lol:

I would have thought that every time Jones touched the ball they got a bit excited. 

Austin would be an amazing signing. 

1 hour ago, Madon said:

Not heard anything about Austin TBH. I'm still putting all my eggs firmly in the Assombalonga basket. 

That's fine but don't count your chickens..........................................?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Because I go to the games. Why would I have any interest in ifollow? 

How did you not know 4000 holes came from the famous Beatles song?

?

We'll have to agree to disagree on Gallagher. If he was that good, Birmingham would have signed him permanently or at least extended his loan.

Maybe they would have if they weren't under an embargo which restricts their transfer dealings. You should really do a bit of reading around football :) 

On the 4000 holes, i knew it was from a Beatles song, but still nobody has answered my question as to why the Rovers fanzine is called after it. Perhaps you could enlighten us? 

The determination to bring in a decent striker - be it BA, Gally, Austin or whoever - would point to a potential change of system you would imagine (should one come off). You certainly couldn’t see BA or Austin warming our bench, while Graham is now, rightly, a firm favourite of TM’s. Let’s see what tomorrow brings (I’m still not holding out much hope other than late night disappointment!).

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The determination to bring in a decent striker - be it BA, Gally, Austin or whoever - would point to a potential change of system you would imagine (should one come off). You certainly couldn’t see BA or Austin warming our bench, while Graham is now, rightly, a firm favourite of TM’s. Let’s see what tomorrow brings (I’m still not holding out much hope other than late night disappointment!).

I think it's more a case of building a squad that can either get promotion this season and then survive the Premier league or have most pieces of the jigsaw ready for a title challenge next season in the championship. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

All this talk of unsettling others due to their wages is quite nonsense really. The best players should earn more - take Dack as an example who must already be on parity with the top earners but is now seemingly negotiating being the best paid player. Would anyone in the squad bemoan him of this or at the very least have a justified argument against it happening? 

There is no doubt that BA is one of the best strikers in this league and with his goal return alone would justify being one of our best paid players. As others have mentioned, if he were to help fire us to the PL, you can bet that most of our other players would benefit financially too. Whether thats merely a promotion bonus or being given a new contract on PL wages, they will all benefit.

Oh god don't start off the wage debate again. I've already lost hope in explaining the potential issue with it.

Anyway since we are signing strikers left right and centre. How about a crack at Watkins. Maybe swipe Abraham or go all out for Afobe. That Roofe is alright and it'll piss off the leeds fans at the same time. Call that a two for one deal. It's not the line-up tombola now. It's the striker version.

Seriously though if two players were genuine options. It'd be between Austin as a like for like to Graham or Bowen as another technical player who plays two roles.

What's the odds of being linked to Chris Wood next? We could really do with Bielsa's spy up and down the training grounds of clubs reporting us info.

Edited by Tom Stinny

37 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I suppose that could be the case. I would however be alarmed/concerned if our CEO and presumably the central component of any transfer business at the club was spending 3 days off at the back end of January to visit friends and family just as the transfer window is closing.

• Like 1

I'm in two minds to be honest. I'd be very pleased with a signing of Assombalonga's calibre provided the deal was reasonable and if it was a loan that there was provision in place to make it permanent come the summer.

I'd be less supportive or keen on the idea if it were merely a stopgap loan until the summer and a permanent arrangement is out of the question financially. Why? Because I quite like the idea of building something that will last not a few months but a few years and whilst it would be nice to push the boat out now to try and sneak into the top 6 the probability is we won't get there this season and need to keep one eye on the longer term. So by all means invest in quality but make sure there is something to build on whatever happens. Signing Assombalonga or Gallagher purely on a loan until the summer might do a job but would then need re-visiting in a few months when we'd have to go through it all over again.

In some ways I'd be more comfortable with Gallagher on loan with an agreement to make permanent come June, though I completely accept Assombalonga is currently in a different ball park to Gallagher and would be a statement of intent.

I think we all know that if Rovers haven't bagged anyone today it's very unlikely we'll get one through tomorrow. 

Any potential expensive signing should be loan OPTION to buy (no commitments). Anything that will cost a couple of million is fair enough. 

Edited by Neal