BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

If I were betting on it I'd expect another 24 hours or so of rumours about Gallagher and Assombalonga and then for the deadline to approach before someone at Rovers informs Rich Sharpe that we're done for the window and that there's not going to be any more additions than those already in the building.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but it seems very out of character for Rovers under Mowbray to go out and make a late splash in the market and bring in a first team ready player. Usually business has been concluded before deadline day or those arriving are squad players.

• Moderation Lead
34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe they would have if they weren't under an embargo which restricts their transfer dealings. You should really do a bit of reading around football :) 

On the 4000 holes, i knew it was from a Beatles song, but still nobody has answered my question as to why the Rovers fanzine is called after it. Perhaps you could enlighten us? 

'4000 Holes in Blackburn, Lancashire'. It's a reference to that line in 'The Beatles- A Day In The Life'. I really don't think there's any more to it than that, tbh.

Failing that, you could always just Google it?

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

You dont think assombalonga is realistic yet you would be all over adams and austin? Whats the difference in wages?

Wages and fee for BA would beyond in my opinon. 

Austin is just a loan ive read. Natural finisher but injury record.poor

Adams is only 22. Can play wide or upfront. Bring pace, power and finishing ability. 

• Backroom
Just now, Neal said:

I think we all know that if Rovers haven't bagged anyone today it's very unlikely we'll get on through tomorrow. 

I think our 'biggest' deadline day under Venky's was the summer we got Yak and Dann in on the last day. By the next summer our deadline day signings were Nuno Henrique and Diogo Rosado... I'm not sure we had many deadline day signings after that. Mulgrew and Emnes in summer 16/17? They were both signed on 31 August but can't remember if the window extended into September. I think Jordi Gomez was a winter deadline day signing as well. 

• Like 1

Also in response to some on here claiming we already have plenty of strikers.

Sheffield united now have Scott Hogan, Madine, Sharp, McGoldrick and Leon Clarke all at the club.

Edit: and Washington.

Edited by Mellor Rover

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Sheffield united now have Scott Hogan, Madine, Sharp, McGoldrick and Leon Clarke all at the club.

That's a good mix of different types of striker. Target man in Madine, nippy and mobile lad in Hogan, technically very good player in McGoldrick and quality finisher in Sharp. I don't know much about Clarke.

Looking at that, another striker here is def needed! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's a good mix of different types of striker. Target man in Madine, nippy and mobile lad in Hogan, technically very good player in McGoldrick and quality finisher in Sharp. I don't know much about Clarke.

Looking at that, another striker here is def needed! 

He got 19 league goals last year. Crazy depth.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yeah and how much have all those strikers cost Sheff Utd? Sounds like Leon Clarke is off to Wigan.

How's that relevant in any way to us needing more strikers?

The Boro lad looks a great prospect and at 26 his best years are ahead of him but I can't see how the wages would work. He rejected Premier League Burnley to join Boro for £5k a week more so like most footballers is motivated by money and is unlikely to take a wage cut to join us. 

Austin is a younger (bit) version of Graham, holds the .line well and scores goals. If we can get him I'd be delighted. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

How's that relevant in any way to us needing more strikers?

It isn't really, just pointing out that a side going for automatic promotion has assembled a lot of depth without spending very much at all whilst we, allegedly, have spent multi-millions on a prospect to develop. Most of those players are cast offs from other clubs - seen a few asking why Boro would let Assombalonga come here. Well Villa have allowed Hogan to join Sheff Utd on loan - what's the difference?

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

It isn't really, just pointing out that a side going for automatic promotion has assembled a lot of depth without spending very much at all whilst we, allegedly, have spent multi-millions on a prospect to develop. Most of those players are cast offs from other clubs - seen a few asking why Boro would let Assombalonga come here. Well Villa have allowed Hogan to join Sheff Utd on loan - what's the difference?

Agree wholeheartedly.

Just now, JHRover said:

We’ve also signed Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell, Rodwell et al on top of previous cheap/free signings like Graham, Conway, Bennett...

You make it seem far worse than it is.

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I suppose that could be the case. I would however be alarmed/concerned if our CEO and presumably the central component of any transfer business at the club was spending 3 days off at the back end of January to visit friends and family just as the transfer window is closing.

Depends what it was for - sometimes you have a family crisis which is far more important than work.  I'm not saying that is the reason but it just amuses me that you get pages and pages of speculation about players who the club may have no interest in at all and then everyone goes into meltdown when we don't sign a player who we may have had no interest in at all.

I’m pretty sure we need to see some big developments today if we have any chance of getting one of them over the line. I would say to TM : Ambition is great, but not at the cost of missing out on some decent players within our price range!

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Having been at many games and also watched many on tv, I don't believe this oft-repeated mantra at all.

You can see the whole pitch rather than the select area where the camera is focused. Why do managers like to scout players in person if its just as good to watch on tv?

• Like 2

It feels like they might be stuck between 2 approaches of going Hail Mary for promotion this season with our current crop aided by a marquee signing or this 'incremental improvement' Mowbray has said before. It sounds like we were happy to plod along as is and working on Gallagher etc but all of a sudden were in the thick of a playoff push and Assombalonga has recently been made available.

A marquee signing wouldn't only be good for this season but great for next season too were we to miss out.

Edited by Mellor Rover

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some on Twitter are now saying we are in for Peter Crouch. Who knows :D 

I see Sky are linking Dack to Burnley. That would cause some uproar 

Dack can do better than Burnley.  Come to think of it I can do better than Burnley and I am nearly 70.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

You don’t know more than anyone else on here about how the deal is structured but talk expertly about “missing the point”.

If the deal was £3m, for instance, with add-ons which could take the deal “up to” £7m then this being common knowledge would take the heat massively off player and manager. But it isn’t, the manager is having to defend the fee by saying “it is just a number and doesn’t matter”. But again it isn’t just a number and it does matter, because we could have had two, even three, very good players for that kind of money.

Perception is reality and the perception is that we have grossly overpaid for a player not ready for first team football in the Championship - despite having played a lot in this division. The signing is an odd one and the debate will continue until he finds form and looks like justifying a fee.

Theres nothing worse on a messageboard that people saying “can we just stop discussing whatever”. No, if people want to discuss it, let them. If people don’t want to discuss it, stay out of the discussion. It really is that simple.

If people want to discuss Brereton and his fee they should do so in the thread dedicated to the player. 

Almost every news outlet reported the fee as being structured, with the possibility that it could rise to 6-7m. I'm not going out on a limb by stating that; however, all of you asserting that this isn't common knowledge or that we may have locked ourselves into a 7m fee are. 

I think it is perfectly appropriate to ask that people stop endlessly discussing it in a topic that relates to player movement in THIS window. 

39 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Edit: and Washington.

Villa really are a weird club. Obviously hellbent on promotion yet strengthen a rival with Hogan. Hope they feck it up again this year (looking likely). 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!