BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I'm in two minds to be honest. I'd be very pleased with a signing of Assombalonga's calibre provided the deal was reasonable and if it was a loan that there was provision in place to make it permanent come the summer.

I'd be less supportive or keen on the idea if it were merely a stopgap loan until the summer and a permanent arrangement is out of the question financially. Why? Because I quite like the idea of building something that will last not a few months but a few years and whilst it would be nice to push the boat out now to try and sneak into the top 6 the probability is we won't get there this season and need to keep one eye on the longer term. So by all means invest in quality but make sure there is something to build on whatever happens. Signing Assombalonga or Gallagher purely on a loan until the summer might do a job but would then need re-visiting in a few months when we'd have to go through it all over again.

In some ways I'd be more comfortable with Gallagher on loan with an agreement to make permanent come June, though I completely accept Assombalonga is currently in a different ball park to Gallagher and would be a statement of intent.

If a loanee helped take us up,I couldn't care less. Once up there, we're looking to sign players we couldn't attract now anyway. Austin would stand up to the physical stuff and score goals, after all he's done it before.

It looks to me that Balaji has his tail up and wants to go for it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Villa really are a weird club. Obviously hellbent on promotion yet strengthen a rival with Hogan. Hope they feck it up again this year (looking likely). 

They need to try and somehow balance their books. If Hogan does well there and Sheffield go up, they could get 15 million for him. I don't think Sheffield are Villas rivals anyway. They are going for automatic, Villa will do well to keep in touch with us.  They are a very weird club. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Villa really are a weird club. Obviously hellbent on promotion yet strengthen a rival with Hogan. Hope they feck it up again this year (looking likely). 

I watched their match against Ipswich and yeah, based on that I'd be very surprised if they even get a playoff place, let alone promoted. 

According to LT our primary target is Sam Gallager. Hope they are off the mark as as he is the most underwhelming out of the 3 mentioned, although wouldn’t be too bad. 

Hoping for a marquee signing to get excited about. Surely got to have some movement today.

Edited by TruRover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBar said:

I'd have said "underwhelming"...

But cold light of day, any reinforcement up top is always welcomed and Sammy G on a permanent wouldn't be too bad at all.

Mods please ban Madon cheers.

Edited by S8 & Blue

24 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I'd have said "underwhelming"...

But cold light of day, any reinforcement up top is always welcomed and Sammy G on a permanent wouldn't be too bad at all.

Mods please ban Madon cheers.

Gallagher on a permanent I'd be happy with, would he get the goals to fire us into the top 6 this season probably not but he would be a good signing looking ahead to next season and years to come. Gallagher on loan I would be underwhelmed with as in the short term he probably doesn't improve us greatly to push for top 6 this season like an Austin or Assombalonga would.

Personally I think this season we are still a few players away from a side good enough to go up, I'd like to see us bringing someone in on a permanent as it would show we are looking ahead to next season where with the correct signings we could be serious contenders for promotion. Another reason that a permanent would be best is that we need to be looking to replace Graham long term (rather than a short term back up) we are hugely reliant on him but he will be 34 come next season. If we are able to do it Assombalonga on a permanent would be my preference if that's beyond us then Gallagher on a permanent is a good alternative.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

• Backroom

According to wiki Gallgher's strike rate is roughly 1 in 6, which isn't great. Assombalonga and Austin obviously find the net much more often, but would likely also cost a lot more money in the short and long-term. Ultimately you tend to get what you pay for, with the odd exception here and there. 

• Backroom

Not heard anything else but from the above article it sounds like Waggott couldn't pull it off... gutted if so! 

I'd still take Gallagher by all means but I still have a bit of hope for Assombalonga coming in.

Edited by Madon

Just now, Madon said:

Not heard anything else but from the above article it sounds like Swagg couldn't pull it off... gutted if so! 

I'd still take Gallagher by all means but I still have a bit of hope for Assombalonga coming in.

Does state that if Tony wanted one of them they would pursue it though...

Wouldn't be too disheartened with Gallagher myself. As long as we've given Assombalonga a go and checked all the options, if they decide it isn't for us then fair enough!

Gallagher has always been the primary target because it is a player that Mowbray knows and more importantly he fits within the budget that we have left.  Austin and Britt are players that are available and offered to a number of clubs but in terms of cost it would beyond our current budgets unless there is intervention from the owners.  We need to get a striker in before the deadline so it is sensible that the focus is on the one that we can afford.

Austin and Assombalonga would be amazing in different ways but these are complicated deals which will require more money from the owners which in itself is a complicated process and then we would have to beat a number of clubs who are interested.

• Like 1

Funny thing i saw from a Southampton fan...

They're own player Sam Gallagher scored more goals at Birmingham last season than the one they're supposedly signing in Che Adams.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Also in response to some on here claiming we already have plenty of strikers.

Sheffield united now have Scott Hogan, Madine, Sharp, McGoldrick and Leon Clarke all at the club.

Edit: and Washington.

Clarke off to Wigan

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some on Twitter are now saying we are in for Peter Crouch. Who knows :D 

I see Sky are linking Dack to Burnley. That would cause some uproar 

No chance on either. 

Dack isnt a Dyche type player. 

11 minutes ago, Madon said:

Not heard anything else but from the above article it sounds like Waggott couldn't pull it off... gutted if so! 

Clearly Assombalonga has been offered around by Boro. Same with Austin. 

But neither were ever Mowbray's targets imo but offrered to us by the club or Player's agent

The LT article more or less confirms we are interested in Austin and BA, but their wage demands are way too high. This side is all about team spirit and togetherness so I can see why TM doesn't want to upset that balance by bringing in a player who earns significantly more. Austin could potentially happen on loan if the Saints pay a significant proportion of his wages. But that would only be a short term fix. Could BA be persuaded if he has a hefty goal scoring bonus and the promise of a significant rise in salary if we go up? 

Gallagher would be decent but a little underwhelming compared to the two mentioned above.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Gallagher has always been the primary target because it is a player that Mowbray knows and more importantly he fits within the budget that we have left.  Austin and Britt are players that are available and offered to a number of clubs but in terms of cost it would beyond our current budgets unless there is intervention from the owners.  We need to get a striker in before the deadline so it is sensible that the focus is on the one that we can afford.

Austin and Assombalonga would be amazing in different ways but these are complicated deals which will require more money from the owners which in itself is a complicated process and then we would have to beat a number of clubs who are interested.

If financing these deals with the owners hasn't even been discussed at this point then surely we might as well forget about it? We all know Venky-time tends to stretch to months rather than days. I'm assuming the finances were already in place for a big-ish transfer in the summer long before we tried to panic buy Brereton on the last day of the window. It doesn't sound like any such provisions are in place now though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Madon said:

I think Assombalonga will be a 3rd choice at best with the money that is involved in the deal. Everything brought into the press is for their side. Whether it be agents or club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Funny thing i saw from a Southampton fan...

They're own player Sam Gallagher scored more goals at Birmingham last season than the one they're supposedly signing in Che Adams.

Adams played on the wing when Gallagher under a shocking poor manager. 

Since Monk gone there he has played up front for them and scored goals

Nixon claiming Assombalonga free to go out on loan but nobody as yet willing to match the wages, which Boro want covered in full.

Don't see anyone matching them to be honest. Could be one to watch this summer.

• Backroom
Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Nixon claiming Assombalonga free to go out on loan but nobody as yet willing to match the wages, which Boro want covered in full.

I suppose it's possible Boro will drop their demands once the window starts ticking towards the end and there's still no interest from anybody in covering those wages in full, but at that point you have to imagine there would be a ton of clubs suddenly putting in offers. 

Just now, DE. said:

If financing these deals with the owners hasn't even been discussed at this point then surely we might as well forget about it? We all know Venky-time tends to stretch to months rather than days. I'm assuming the finances were already in place for a big-ish transfer in the summer long before we tried to panic buy Brereton on the last day of the window. It doesn't sound like any such provisions are in place now though. 

I am sure that the owners have been made aware that these players are available but the big question is how desperate is Mowbray to sign them given the levels of finance involved and him being big on thoroughly looking at a players background to try and ensure as much as possible that he will fit into the culture within the squad that he has built.

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available but I am not convinced that he is desperate to sign them and has continued to focus on getting Gallagher.