BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

27 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Nixon's latest tweet:

SOUTHAMPTON. Bit of a dilemma. Trying to move out Austin. Meanwhile FOREST and SWANSEA make surprise loan requests for Gallagher.

Is this the point where we end up with Mitch Candlin back on loan...

Not that I ever believe Nixon but I’ve predicted another duff deadline day all along. It’s Rovers remember.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

He is a dingle. Doesn't matter if he's from the South East or Zanzibar if he's played for them he's a dingle and that should be a factor when considering whether to sign him, IMO.

Can you clarify the criteria  for Dingle .  does it apply for all levels where a  player has represented Burnley? centre of excellence?, Youth team?, first team? 

Edited by perthblue02

5 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Can you clarify the criteria  for Dingle .  does it apply for all levels where a  player has represented Burnley? centre of excellence?, Youth team?, first team? 

Born there means definite pure bread Dingle

A senior appearance while there on a permanent contract is next

Then someone who makes an appearance while on loan is the least serious offence

I wouldn't count anyone else 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14231038.in-pictures-footballers-who-have-played-for-rovers-and-clarets/

Historical dominance would usually mean its them signing our cast offs not the other way round...

They had Bradley Orr and Shane Duffy before us which I wasn’t aware of - the less said about that the better.

Not a huge amount have been permanent players for both clubs. I forgot Steven Reid went there. 

30 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You can generally see a decent spread of the pitch on tv, where the play is. You miss the occasional bit of off the ball, but it's pretty minor all things considered. Personally (and this may just be me and my eyesight even with glasses or lenses) I find it easier to tell who everyone is on tv. There are also replays (not always on ifollow though).

Why do scouts and managers also do a lot of scouting from recordings these days if tv footage doesn't give you a good sense of things?

Lambasting people's opinions because they saw it on tv instead of in the flesh is weird. I can only think it's born of a hatred for fans seen as armchair rather than getting down to the game rather than any real logic.

You can only see what the camera lets you see. What players are doing off the ball and out of the camera's eye is very important. You should only scout players in the flesh and more than once.  A pal of mine was a scout for 'City, he used to scout only forwards and he always watched them away from home.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, neophox said:

cant believe anyone snapped up Maupay yet!

well the deal is still kept under wraps.. alot of smoke screens..

Brentford want stupid money. Like 14million stupid.

Definitely a more deflated feeling on this board today!

Not at all enthused about the prospect of Gallagher. Don’t think he’s ever going to be near prolific, thought he was average at best when we last had him. At best it’s a sideways step for us when we really need to be pushing on.

Best case scenario, the fat idiot Venky has a champagne and sniff induced rush of blood to the wallet in the next couple of hours decides a selfie of him and Assombalonga would look good next to the one of him and Akon, regardless of what Mowbray thinks.

Worst case would be nobody, but in 6 months these last couple of days being reimagined as a valiant battle against all odds by Steve Waggott to get the deal over the line... I can hear it now when we are no further on... “You can’t knock Venky’s. We tried to sign Assombalonga in January, and he got Boro/Derby/Bristol city promoted!”

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My god the negativity on here. Looks like people are forgetting we are having our best season since being relegated from the Premier league. Christ almighty, what will it be like on here tomorrow if we don't sign anyone...

Is the deadline 5pm or 11pm? 

I'd hardly say there's any negativity, people are just discussing all the possible outcomes, as Revidge Blue succinctly did earlier:

1- We sign BA

2- We sign CA

3- We sign SG

4- We sign Nobody

If you're after rationality or overwhelming positivity, I wouldn't suggest going on a football team's message board this close to the end of the transfer window!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

It isn't really, just pointing out that a side going for automatic promotion has assembled a lot of depth without spending very much at all whilst we, allegedly, have spent multi-millions on a prospect to develop. Most of those players are cast offs from other clubs - seen a few asking why Boro would let Assombalonga come here. Well Villa have allowed Hogan to join Sheff Utd on loan - what's the difference?

It's like the Boro fans that were wondering why would Lambert allow goal machine Jordan Rhodes to leave.

According to their fans, Pulis has been playing Assombalonga of position and seems to prefer Hugill.

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The Boro lad looks a great prospect and at 26 his best years are ahead of him but I can't see how the wages would work. He rejected Premier League Burnley to join Boro for £5k a week more so like most footballers is motivated by money and is unlikely to take a wage cut to join us. 

To be fair I think Burnley are still paying their players in sheep.

Is it just me that couldn’t care less if they once played for Burnley? 

They are our arch rivals and I hope they get liquidated, but players? Actual Dingles like a Jay Rodriguez, yeah I get that.

But say a Southener who happened to pass through them at one point, who gives a feck? Always makes me laugh at Ewood, ‘booooo’, hmm why they booing him? *quick wiki check* ‘5 games on loan at Burnley in 2009’

I mean, come on! (though great obscure knowledge!)

2 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I am sure that the owners have been made aware that these players are available but the big question is how desperate is Mowbray to sign them given the levels of finance involved and him being big on thoroughly looking at a players background to try and ensure as much as possible that he will fit into the culture within the squad that he has built.

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available but I am not convinced that he is desperate to sign them and has continued to focus on getting Gallagher.

Think the folly of the Brereton deal is hitting home.  He's contributed virtually nothing and those funds committed on Brereton could have been used so much better and excitingly.

Kamy, what happened to Mowbray's 'due diligence' re Brereton !?

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

You shut up you. You've done enough damage :( 

Haha, I did say from the minute go don't shoot the messenger and take everything I say with a pinch of salt ?

It sounds like the talks with Assombalonga have taken place though in fairness so I've been kinda right!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You can generally see a decent spread of the pitch on tv, where the play is. You miss the occasional bit of off the ball, but it's pretty minor all things considered. Personally (and this may just be me and my eyesight even with glasses or lenses) I find it easier to tell who everyone is on tv. There are also replays (not always on ifollow though).

Why do scouts and managers also do a lot of scouting from recordings these days if tv footage doesn't give you a good sense of things?

Lambasting people's opinions because they saw it on tv instead of in the flesh is weird. I can only think it's born of a hatred for fans seen as armchair rather than getting down to the game rather than any real logic.

I wasnt lambasting anyones opinion, i literally took the individual point that you see more on TV and disagreed with it.

You see all 11 players on each team, the shape of each team in full, the off the ball movements, you see everything. Obviously you still see how good a player is on TV but all I am saying is you see more at the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Madon said:

Haha, I did say from the minute go don't shoot the messenger and take everything I say with a pinch of salt ?

It sounds like the talks with Assombalonga have taken place though in fairness so I've been kinda right!

Didnt get the impression from Waggotts quotes that hed been in Middlesbrough for 3 days!

19 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Definitely a more deflated feeling on this board today!

Not at all enthused about the prospect of Gallagher. Don’t think he’s ever going to be near prolific, thought he was average at best when we last had him. At best it’s a sideways step for us when we really need to be pushing on.

Best case scenario, the fat idiot Venky has a champagne and sniff induced rush of blood to the wallet in the next couple of hours decides a selfie of him and Assombalonga would look good next to the one of him and Akon, regardless of what Mowbray thinks.

Worst case would be nobody, but in 6 months these last couple of days being reimagined as a valiant battle against all odds by Steve Waggott to get the deal over the line... I can hear it now when we are no further on... “You can’t knock Venky’s. We tried to sign Assombalonga in January, and he got Boro/Derby/Bristol city promoted!”

A 23 year old Gallagher is going to get better and even on loan it’s a good option/backup for Graham if it happens - you’re bringing the deflation with your unrealistic “need to kick on”. You’d be the first to put the boot in the club and owners so shouldn’t that cynicism steer you from such wild expectation?

We've already signed a position; a winger many of us felt we wanted, one we rate and know could turn out to be a star.

Thus the worst case scenario is already quite a good one.

I don’t prescribe to the notion we should be putting all efforts into instant promotion as opposed to developing/building a young and hungry squad that can develop.

As for the last paragraph - you’re beginning to sound like @tomphil - why does discussion on every scenario our club faces resort to some sort of scandalmongery about playing the fans?

Do you both do it simply to stop yourselves feeling dissapointed if we aren’t able to live up to transfer or league expectations? The irony is, instant promotion and signing 40k waged + 15m strikers in their prime is not what I’d call a reasonable expectation personally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Is it just me that couldn’t care less if they once played for Burnley? 

They are our arch rivals and I hope they get liquidated, but players? Actual Dingles like a Jay Rodriguez, yeah I get that.

But say a Southener who happened to pass through them at one point, who gives a feck? Always makes me laugh at Ewood, ‘booooo’, hmm why they booing him? *quick wiki check* ‘5 games on loan at Burnley in 2009’

I mean, come on! (though great obscure knowledge!)

5 games on loan doesn't give them true dingle status. 

However 41 goals in 82 appearances whilst becoming a cult hero over there does lift Brickie Charlie into Dingle status.

I'd still have him in on loan mind you.