BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

29 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I'd hardly say there's any negativity, people are just discussing all the possible outcomes, as Revidge Blue succinctly did earlier:

1- We sign BA

2- We sign CA

3- We sign SG

4- We sign Nobody

If you're after rationality or overwhelming positivity, I wouldn't suggest going on a football team's message board this close to the end of the transfer window!

You don't see any negativity? Is that because you are going around deleting them or something :) 

Gallagher is rubbish

Austin is an injury prone dingle

Assombolonga is too ambitious a signing and on too much, we will end up with no one etc etc

That's a sample of what I have read! 

Personally I think it's great that we are being linked with those players and not someone like Chris Brown 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

A 23 year old Gallagher is going to get better and even on loan it’s a good option/backup for Graham if it happens - you’re bringing the deflation with your unrealistic “need to kick on”. You’d be the first to put the boot in the club and owners so shouldn’t that cynicism steer you from such wild expectation?

We've already signed a position; a winger many of us felt we wanted, one we rate and know could turn out to be a star.

Thus the worst case scenario is already quite a good one.

I don’t prescribe to the notion we should be putting all efforts into instant promotion as opposed to developing/building a young and hungry squad that can develop.

As for the last paragraph - you’re beginning to sound like @tomphil - why does discussion on every scenario our club faces resort to some sort of scandalmongery about playing the fans?

Do you both do it simply to stop yourselves feeling dissapointed if we aren’t able to live up to transfer or league expectations? The irony is, instant promotion and signing 40k waged + 15m strikers in their prime is not what I’d call a reasonable expectation personally.

So me stating that we need to kick on is unrealistic? Because I don’t. I’m not going to be grateful, or even content just because we have reversed a ludicrous, self inflicted, avoidable and disgraceful period of decline that saw us in the worst position in my lifetime. Of course we should be trying to progress.

I do prescribe to notion we should be putting all our efforts into an instant promotion. It’s well within the realms of possibility and the rewards would address the absolute shambolic state of our finances. Don’t confuse what I want and think with expectation though, I expect nothing but rank incompetence from Venky’s.

Yes, I will take any opportunity to put the boot into the owners... I’d like to do it repeatedly and physically if I could! Their entire tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. I detest them.

As for Gallagher, I think he’s overrated. We’ve tried him, didn’t work out, and I’d sooner sign a cheaper option from the lower leagues. Be happy to be proved wrong though.

As for ‘scandalmongering’ care to elaborate how I’ve done that?

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Assombalonga and Austin would be great signings, but the latter has had a few injuries, to be fair. But then, so had Mulgrew and he's mostly been fit since he's been here.

I'd much rather we signed either of the above than Gallagher, being honest, Assombalonga would be the jackpot for me.

They're both on big wages allegedly and any concerns about us not being able to afford them are perfectly valid. Given our financial problems under Venky's, it's hardly any wonder people don't want us going bankrupt and have concerns about what players earn/will cost us to sign. 

There is a possibility we will end up with nobody. If Austin or Assmobalonga decide to go somewhere else and we are unable to land Gallagher for example.

The negative vs positive thing is far too simplistic and everyone is allowed their viewpoint. 

Like I said before, you aren't going to get rationality or read everything you want to this close to the end of the transfer window.

Ultimately, what does it matter what someone thinks on the internet that you've never met?

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

Most of us were cock a hoop when we signed Gallagher under the hapless mess that was Coyle and he did ok for us in a shambles of a side run by a clown. Have we come so far in that short time that in the absence of anything better we should be turning noses up at having him back in this squad on loan ?

Not for me, he adds something a bit different and we'll be a bit stronger if he comes so it can't do any harm.

In other news Burnley linked with Crouch and Vokes going the other way, now that's a shite piece of business Crouchy is a proper busted flush at that level now. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Personally I think it's great that we are being linked with those players and not someone like Chris Brown 

It might be fun for the message board and twitter people but really it means nothing if we don't get the deals done. For all his faults we got the Chris Brown deal done and dusted, whereas it's nice to be 'linked' to quality players until they're at Ewood having their photo taken it gets us nowhere.

Interest and 'bids' for players are very cheap and easy to do. Actually getting a transfer completed and committing to a major cash outlay isn't.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't see any negativity? Is that because you are going around deleting them or something :) 

Gallagher is rubbish

Austin is an injury prone dingle

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Austin is a risk with his injury record, but he goal scoring record at this level is on par with pretty much anyone. He was a dingle through and through though. Whittingham got off lightly cos he never went full Dingle. Never go full Dingle. 

??

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It might be fun for the message board and twitter people but really it means nothing if we don't get the deals done. For all his faults we got the Chris Brown deal done and dusted, whereas it's nice to be 'linked' to quality players until they're at Ewood having their photo taken it gets us nowhere.

Interest and 'bids' for players are very cheap and easy to do. Actually getting a transfer completed and committing to a major cash outlay isn't.

Indeed. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Gallagher played under 3 different managers at Birmingham last season - Redknapp, Cotterill, Monk

Cotterill was the manager for majority of the season

1 hour ago, neophox said:

cant believe anyone snapped up Maupay yet!

well the deal is still kept under wraps.. alot of smoke screens..

Cos he 15 million pounds to buy. 

50 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My god the negativity on here. Looks like people are forgetting we are having our best season since being relegated from the Premier league. Christ almighty, what will it be like on here tomorrow if we don't sign anyone...

Is the deadline 5pm or 11pm? 

Exactly BDS

35 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think the folly of the Brereton deal is hitting home.  He's contributed virtually nothing and those funds committed on Brereton could have been used so much better and excitingly.

Kamy, what happened to Mowbray's 'due diligence' re Brereton !?

Give it rest Mercer. You dont have a clue.

You say that but Mowbray signed a new long term contract during our bad spell. Shows what the owners think of Mowbray and that he is the best manager they had during their spell at the club. 

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

So me stating that we need to kick on is unrealistic? Because I don’t. I’m not going to be grateful, or even content just because we have reversed a ludicrous, self inflicted, avoidable and disgraceful period of decline that saw us in the worst position in my lifetime. Of course we should be trying to progress.

I do prescribe to notion we should be putting all our efforts into an instant promotion. It’s well within the realms of possibility and the rewards would address the absolute shambolic state of our finances. Don’t confuse what I want and think with expectation though, I expect nothing but rank incompetence from Venky’s.

Yes, I will take any opportunity to put the boot into the owners... I’d like to do it repeatedly and physically if I could! Their entire tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. I detest them.

As for Gallagher, I think he’s overrated. We’ve tried him, didn’t work out, and I’d sooner sign a cheaper option from the lower leagues. Be happy to be proved wrong though.

As for ‘scandalmongering’ care to elaborate how I’ve done that?

This; "but in 6 months these last couple of days being reimagined as a valiant battle against all odds by Steve Waggott to get the deal over the line... I can hear it now when we are no further on... “You can’t knock Venky’s. We tried to sign Assombalonga in January, and he got Boro/Derby/Bristol city promoted!” 

The notion that this is simply a smokescreen to avoid criticism down the line is utterly embarrassing. Plus - I don't ever recall asking you to be grateful? I simply stated your expectations are ridiculous, especially when you are a huge Rao cynic (like many of us). The finance situation at the club isn't going to be improved by lumping loads more above turnover on a marquee signing either, especially since it guarantees nothing and this league is as competitive as any in Europe. There are 12 teams aiming for three spots.

Looking at the last few years and simply expecting better than someone of SG's ilk is an oxymoron in itself. Nothing wrong with not rating a player, you know I'd sooner us look to sign someone cheaper but Gallagher undoubtedly has unfound potential.

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mr Opposite ........? ?

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

You really are a happy clapper

As for the last two comments - does moderation only happen when its targeted at you @K-Hod or what? :)

• Like 2

I thought Sam Gallacher flattered to deceive when he was here. He had fairly barren periods when he really didn't look good enough for the Championship, but he always popped up with a well taken goal just as I was thinking his time was up.

Hope he has improved in the last 18 months, I assume he will have done.   

He's no Reid tho, and that's the level we need to reach and remain in the top 6. 

Sam isn't sufficiently better than Joe, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

The most important thing for me is that the striker we bring in is a permanent, a loan until the end of the season is simply a quick short term solution (which goes completely against what Mowbray has said and done during his tenure) and in the summer we will be back to square one needing another striker and with Graham about to turn 34.

Austin is a fine striker at this level but realistically he isn't going to be here next season so is a signing for 4 months. Assombalonga on a permanent or on loan with us holding the option to make it permanent is exactly the sort of player we should be looking for if we are aiming for top 6 be it this season or next, personally I think we are still a few players short of being a top 6 side this season but his goals would give us a chance. Gallagher on loan would be disappointing as he would spend most the time on the bench unlike Assombalonga who could make an immediate impact. However Gallagher on a permanent would be a good signing as he may not have a huge influence this season but I could see him having a big impact next season when I think it is more realistic to expect us to make top 6.

My Preference's would be:

1. Assombalonga Permanent

2. Gallagher Permanent

3. Assombalonga Loan

4. Austin Loan

5. Gallagher Loan 

The big question about Gallagher is whether he has improved or not,  he was ok the last time but there was potential in him to make big strides.

I haven't really seen him play since he left more than 18 months ago but I presume TM has so if he reckons SG is the answer we will have to hope he is right.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Is it just me that couldn’t care less if they once played for Burnley? 

They are our arch rivals and I hope they get liquidated, but players? Actual Dingles like a Jay Rodriguez, yeah I get that.

But say a Southener who happened to pass through them at one point, who gives a feck? Always makes me laugh at Ewood, ‘booooo’, hmm why they booing him? *quick wiki check* ‘5 games on loan at Burnley in 2009’

I mean, come on! (though great obscure knowledge!)

No, it's not just you. If they do a job for us I don't care if they were born and bred in Burnley, went on to score loads of goals for them, got them promoted or whatever. It's not about what you've done for other clubs. It's what you do for us

1 minute ago, Biz said:

The notion that this is simply a smokescreen to avoid criticism down the line is utterly embarrassing.

Its a notion you’ve dreamed up in your head Biz. I don’t think for a minute that it’s a smokescreen and I think you’re really stretching to suggest I’ve implied this. It was a bit of a dig at some of our more deluded fans... the ones who say things like “we are better off now than when Venkys took over”... the ones who reimagine history.

So all the other scandalmongering I do? Seeing as I do it whatever the discussion?

I do doubt Gallaghers potential.

With our finances in as much of a mess as they are, I’d like to see them punt 15 million in an attempt to get us promoted this year. I’m fully aware this may or may not pay off. If they are willing to spunk big money on the likes of Brereton, there is clearly situations in which they will loosen the purse strings and increase the financial burden further. The rewards of promotion far outstrip any “long term investment” on players.

• Like 2