BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

TM pretty much confirming in his press conference that we won’t be signing anyone today as the players he likes are too expensive.

He spoke of beefing up the scouting department to try and pick up some gems in Europe in the summer.

Haven't we already done this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

TM pretty much confirming in his press conference that we won’t be signing anyone today as the players he likes are too expensive.

He spoke of beefing up the scouting department to try and pick up some gems in Europe in the summer.

Or he is keeping his powder dry....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I thought we overhauled the scouting department in the summer so that we were operating full steam ahead? If we’re currently only scouting the UK&I then that’s ridiculous. Smacks of excuses to me.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

On 07/01/2019 at 12:21, savage90 said:

As much as I like the core of our current squad, I can't help but notice our scouting does appear weaker than ever. Where are the new Olssons,  Sambas,  Nelsons, Friedels, Pedersens, Hoiletts and Mokoenas!? I can't remember our last successful signing from abroad (although I haven't thought that hard about it)? Surely Championship equivalents should be easier to find! A lot of the more competitive squads in this league have had an edge from abroad and most haven't paid a lot either. I don't think you necessarily need to spend big in this league (of course it helps), which is why the Bereton signing has been a bit frustrating - to look at the extreme, that could have been 7 players for 1 million each which is potentially enough for a promotion squad in this league. 

Cardiff - Zohore, Gunnarrsson, Manga

Watford - Ighalo, Abdi, Paredes

Huddersfield - Kachunga, Billing, Low, Van La Parra, Schindler, Mooy

Wolves - Bonatini, Boly, Saiss

Some great signings and I'm sure there are a lot more team's players that have been unearthed via this league.

Let's spend a bit on some well scouted talent in the right areas, as much as I love Tony, I think it's time he broadened ones horizons 

Great to hear Tony is reading these boards! Looking forward to this summer.

well, in the end business as usual and nothing happening.

That said, this has been the most entertaining window since the Luca Toni days. Nice one Madon! 

We can take some comfort from the fact Rovers are now linked to some decent players, rather than the Luke Vardy's of this world. Glass half full - we've come a long way.

So basically we're struggling to sign players due to a limited budget and not having the structure in place to bring in talent from overseas. We knew that before the window opened.

I really do wonder how a club with a decade long run in the Premier League, Category A academy and a long history of signing quality from Europe can have no European scouting network. Very foolish and shortsighted to end up without one whilst rivals steam ahead on recruitment. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Too expensive in his opinion or has he asked for money and been turned down ?

He stated at the consultation meeting that money would be available in January and he would get backing from the owners 'if we were in or around the playoffs'

If there are players he likes and available then where's the backing ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Thought the scouting department was supposed to running on "full steam" already?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

So basically we're struggling to sign players due to a limited budget and not having the structure in place to bring in talent from overseas. We knew that before the window opened.

I really do wonder how a club with a decade long run in the Premier League, Category A academy and a long history of signing quality from Europe can have no European scouting network. Very foolish and shortsighted to end up without one whilst rivals steam ahead on recruitment. 

Sounds to me as if the whole Rovers structure behind the scenes was/is in total disaray and TM is literally having to go to each dept. and sort out himself. 

The whole lot seems to have gone to rack and ruin. 

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

As I say, it’s rank amateur. Compare us to say Bielsa’s Leeds and it’s bloody night and day (and yes I know we were promoted last season before anyone says anything). Cannot fathom a Championship side not having their scouts looking at European talent. We’re not the Dog & Duck!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Sounds to me as if the whole Rovers structure behind the scenes was/is in total disaray and TM is literally having to go to each dept. and sort out himself. 

The whole lot seems to have gone to rack and ruin. 

We have had noise from Mowbray re the scouting/recruitment updating for over a year, confirmation it had been funded and then that it was all in place a couple of months ago, maybe longer.

Our list couldnt have been very big if we put all our eggs into SG and then had tentative looks at BA or CA. If we cannot afford anyone in this league then why have we not looked down a league at the very least such as Marquis who is interesting a few - surely we could afford them?

Not even any loan deals that could have been done just to ease the reliabilty on DG being fit?

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2