BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes but clubs are asking silly prices and Players wanting silly unreasonable wages in January..

I rather we didnt get into that game and we got the players at what they are worth and Mowbray 1st target choices. 

I completely agree although it's disappointing we couldn't strengthen the squad.

All I'm saying is that after those quotes, and the run we have been on, it was realistic to expect that this week we might actually have brought  in some players who would be pushing to start .

Personally I think the breakthrough of Travis has been the catalyst to our recent form and he's been like a new signing since the turn of the year.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes but clubs are asking silly prices and Players wanting silly unreasonable wages in January..

I rather we didnt get into that game and we got the players at what they are worth and Mowbray 1st target choices. 

Part of preparing for a transfer window is to investigate whether targets are attainable by finding out the demands and then if do-able go ahead and pursue. You don't go for a player then realise in the last few days of the window that you've been wasting time because the demands were never realistic for us. 

Can anyone tell me how much Chapman cost? If Mowbray is correct and he isn't going to be playing for us for some time would it not have been cheaper just to wait until the summer when he was out of contract?

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We paid what we did for Brereton. Sadly some of you lot are so obsess you still going about now. Blimey its true what PhilipL posted last week

Indeed we paid what we paid. Sadly it seems we over paid. My point is Mowbray doesn't seem to have any worries about over paying for a player who may or may not come good in a few years time so why does he worry about over paying for someone who may have an impact now and push us into the top 6?

• Like 1

Just now, Hasta said:

Chapman should really be fit to start making cameos by the end of Feb unless we've signed him with an injury.

I'd say Tony was busy tonight sizing up a leash for Chapman. He'll be tethered down until next season with Rothwell.

18 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

But that argument is on very flimsy ground when he has spent a substantial amount of money on a 4th choice striker/ 6th choice winger. 

Ben is likely on a reasonable wage with us though that fits into our wage structure. The money paid up front is not the full 7m, and at 19 years of age if he develops into a quality striker then it would have been a good investment.

With Assambalonga it sounds like the issue is with wages. If he’s on 50k per week as some people were saying then that’s nuts, and TM is 100% right not to spend break the existing wage structure like that. 

I’m sure Gallagher would have happened if Southampton were actually willing to sell or let him go on loan.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Moan and moan..

What happens if this squad makes the playoffs? Will you still complain? I will answer Yes!

What were really expect? Us to spend loads of money? 4 or 5 signings? 

Mowbray has told you why we didnt sign the players he wanted? Too expensive!

We did make 4 January signings. None of whom will contribute this season.

Mowbray also told us “there is money available” now it isn’t enough. I wonder if we hadn’t spent £7m on Brereton would we have had the money to buy Assombalonga, for example? Do you have a view on this?

Also do you think this was a good window for a team going for the play-offs?

Although a bit disappointed at no new signings today that would have raised play-off hopes I'm glad we haven't gone into the silly money bracket that would have caused problems if not promoted. Enjoyed league 1 success last season and apart from a few bad days Tony and co are doing ok in the Championship this season.

My still wants are the play-offs, to be top team in this area, to see Ewood Park at full capacity with full sound.

But the next my next want is to win on Saturday !   

I understand Mowbray not breaking the wage structure to sign someone and it sounds like Gallagher won't be allowed to move. Looks like he might be a Premier league player after all. 

When does the loan window close? Or is that off the table now too I wonder. 

Hopefully we get to see Chapman before the end of February. Would be a boost 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

25 minutes ago, Miker said:

Ben is likely on a reasonable wage with us though that fits into our wage structure. The money paid up front is not the full 7m, and at 19 years of age if he develops into a quality striker then it would have been a good investment.

With Assambalonga it sounds like the issue is with wages. If he’s on 50k per week as some people were saying then that’s nuts, and TM is 100% right not to spend break the existing wage structure like that. 

I’m sure Gallagher would have happened if Southampton were actually willing to sell or let him go on loan.

So the only two strikers we were interested in in the whole of Western Europe are one player who played for us before and another player who plays just down the road in Mowbray's home town.  To be honest it's hard to believe we were seriously looking. In future don't pee in my ear and tell me it's raining Rovers. Maybe our scouts are still waiting for their bus passes because none of them must have a passport.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Just now, Miker said:

How the money is paid for Brereton is a red herring as we will have committed to paying up to £7 Million and it is money that can't be spent elsewhere. But that has already been done over and over on here, so I'll move on.

You say if Brereton develops into a quality striker then he will have been a good investment. What is the difference between that argument and the argument of signing a striker on 4 month loan (paying him say 30-40K a week) who if he scores the goals to get us into the play offs (and maybe beyond) will have proven to be a good investment. Both are gambles the only difference is if Brereton is a failure it's one we are lumbered with for years to come whereas if the loan signing doesn't come off then after a few months he's off our hands.

• Like 3