BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

van La Parra and Obi Mikel.

Van La Parra? Decent. John Obi Mikel? He was hardly mobile in his prime, he’ll get ran all over in the championship! Danny Murphy MKII that guy..

29 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Andy King in at Derby. That’s a huge signing for them. 

Really? Correct me if I’m wrong because it is based on very little actual knowledge...

But I was under the impression he’s pretty shit?

Just now, sparky12 said:

My point exactly, Boro haven't done anything this window.

Yeah just a Champions League winner who is captain of his country and another player that has an abundance of Championship experience (including a promotion) who was a regular starter in the premier league last season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bboy said:

I think today states the clubs ambitions for the season.

That said I'm not annoyed, we could have thrown the dice today buy some quality and given us a better chance to reach the lottery of play-offs.

The counter to that would have possibly gearing ourselves too high and cause damage for seasons to come when we ultimately failed to get promoted. Similar to Sheffield Wednesday last few seasons.

Had we been fighting top 2 I'm sure we'd have seen some investment today. I gather if TM really wanted someone he could have got BA or CA, he'd rather get the right players at the right time then the wrong players quickly.

Sheff Weds is a good example of what we don't want to do and in hindsight it's a pity they didn't chuck us big money for Marshall after that alleged medical he was supposed to be having there for about 3 windows.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Andy King in at Derby. That’s a huge signing for them. 

I'm with the above, he's shite. We have 3 currently better than him.

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You said players were being signed "up and down the championship" I show you that 4 transfers have been confirmed, You then move the goalpost and say "revisit after 11pm" Comical! 

How’s your list of championship signed deadline deals looking?

20 minutes ago, sparky12 said:

Either way, BB sounds like a steal compared to that. 

Think people need to calm down on the whole ambition stuff, we were out priced, simple as that, instead of panic buying anyone for the sake of it we shut up shop early.

Never thought I'd see BB and steal in the same sentence. BB and robbed perhaps...

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Never thought I'd see BB and steal in the same sentence. BB and robbed perhaps...

I Still believe he will end up paying for himself. Agree not the instant impact you would want or expect but he's 19, Nuttall got a few years on him but i see a lot more potential in BB. 

• Like 2

West brom did some good work today in signing Murphy, Johannson and Montero.

Looks like Swansea had their whole squad on offer, Tom Carroll gone to Villa,Montero to West Brom, tried to flog Fer and Daniel James move to leeds has fallen through.

The signing of Chapmen and the emergence of Travis and to a lesser extent Nuttall feel we are in a good place going in to the second half of the season.

Going forward we will need to start upping the wages if we want to attract a calibre of player that can make a difference to our starting 11

3 minutes ago, sparky12 said:

I Still believe he will end up paying for himself. Agree not the instant impact you would want or expect but he's 19, Nuttall got a few years on him but i see a lot more potential in BB. 

I agree.

Others won’t though, your narrative doesn’t suit a vision of an unambitous club and manager who cannot recruit. How others can say that in the face of us reportedly spending 10m+ in our return to the championship and developing a competitive squad that’s not doing to badly in the league.. beyond me.

Sorry @K-Hod - I’m not quoting them all, but this thread is an embarrassing example of the over entitlement of modern football support! 

Edited by Biz

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Yeah just a Champions League winner who is captain of his country and another player that has an abundance of Championship experience (including a promotion) who was a regular starter in the premier league last season. 

Former glories mean nothing, we've been stung with that more than once. 

8 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

How’s your list of championship signed deadline deals looking?

Quitest deadline day in a long time. The lads on Sky sports news have their work cut out trying to make it sound exciting. I think King might be a decent signing for Derby, will bring some experience. 

We average 14k fans and are just promoted from league 1.

We are competing with teams that get way over double our gate and a good few spending millions of parachute money.

The playing feild isnt even close to level and yet we are right amongst it

• Like 2

Could have been much worse. The first priority is to ensure you don't end up weaker and I don't think we have, though I don't think we're ending it stronger either.

Good to be sat in a position of relative comfort watching from afar as the likes of Bolton and Wigan scurry around for reinforcements in a desperate bid to survive. 

Frustrating nonetheless that we're in our best league position in quite some time, upwardly mobile, with the slim chance of kicking on further and yet we have missed or turned down the chance to add to what we have, either to try and kick on this season or to put more building blocks in place for the longer term.

Mowbray spoke about a multi window plan and building job so it seems odd to me that he's now turning round bemoaning the cost of players. It doesn't appear from afar that we've really followed much of a strategy other than to have a short list of potential options and hope that they come available late on at a subsidised rate. That's not really what Mowbray's comments on building long term seemed to suggest he was after.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Quitest deadline day in a long time. The lads on Sky sports news have their work cut out trying to make it sound exciting. I think King might be a decent signing for Derby, will bring some experience. 

WBA have had a blinder

ED5FF2B4-E857-4570-BF7B-A19E97D92722.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Could have been much worse. The first priority is to ensure you don't end up weaker and I don't think we have, though I don't think we're ending it stronger either.

Good to be sat in a position of relative comfort watching from afar as the likes of Bolton and Wigan scurry around for reinforcements in a desperate bid to survive. 

Frustrating nonetheless that we're in our best league position in quite some time, upwardly mobile, with the slim chance of kicking on further and yet we have missed or turned down the chance to add to what we have, either to try and kick on this season or to put more building blocks in place for the longer term.

Mowbray spoke about a multi window plan and building job so it seems odd to me that he's now turning round bemoaning the cost of players. It doesn't appear from afar that we've really followed much of a strategy other than to have a short list of potential options and hope that they come available late on at a subsidised rate. That's not really what Mowbray's comments on building long term seemed to suggest he was after.

Im sure TM will be frustrated just as you are, no doubt Gallagher was his main target but Southampton weren't playing ball until they got someone else in, but that couldn't happen until they got rid of Austin who they wanted 10mill for. I'm sure TM had money to spend and we could have had bids accepted for BA, CA but we would have been offering them a packet of crisps and a pint in the blue bar after the match. It's all well and good spending big money on transfer fee but with that comes silly wages and sometimes even more silly agents fees. 

As i mentioned previously, if anything we are overachieving at the moment for our first season in the championship, very few teams go back to back. I think TM has been smart and saved his money, if we don't make the play offs, it's hardly a big deal, we have a whole summer to boost the squad for next season. Sheff Utd are the perfect example of this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biz said:

I agree.

Others won’t though, your narrative doesn’t suit a vision of an unambitous club and manager who cannot recruit. How others can say that in the face of us reportedly spending 10m+ in our return to the championship and developing a competitive squad that’s not doing to badly in the league.. beyond me.

Sorry @K-Hod - I’m not quoting them all, but this thread is an embarrassing example of the over entitlement of modern football support! 

Mowbray himself said that he wanted a striker, that he felt he was a striker short and am sure that he is himself dissapointed that we couldnt bring one in. Spurious links to big name targets obviously dont help expectations I concede.

I personally think that the 7 figure fee quoted by Rich Sharpe as to how much the loans (fee and wages) would have cost would have been a worthwhile small risk considering our position. Sign a proven striker to get us 10 goals extra could be the difference between 6th (with potential access to a promotion windfall) and 10th. You seem to think its "over entitled" to harbour hopes for a play off push. I consider it just about realistic and an acknowledgment that there IS a lot to be happy about (players and manager) with us so close to the top 6, that rather than settling for safety and stability, fans are hoping for extra firepower (an injury to Graham and we are goosed) to give us a potential leg up to overachieve, without losing sight of the fact that finishing just beyond the top 6 would still be a positive season even if we dont quite make it. Fine line between ambition and over entitlement.

You are exaggerating and using poetic license in your comments regarding lack of ambition and ability to recruit. Very valid criticisms about the impact of our 7m striker and also suggestions as to us needing to broaden our search beyond the same few names and potentially even abroad are fair and the latter is something Mowbray himself has suggested that he is looking to explore today.