BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

25 minutes ago, Biz said:

I agree.

Others won’t though, your narrative doesn’t suit a vision of an unambitous club and manager who cannot recruit. How others can say that in the face of us reportedly spending 10m+ in our return to the championship and developing a competitive squad that’s not doing to badly in the league.. beyond me.

Sorry @K-Hod - I’m not quoting them all, but this thread is an embarrassing example of the over entitlement of modern football support! 

Andy Holt highlights this point perfectly in some of his twitter threads. Fans expect instant results, in turn owners spend money that isn't sustainable for the club, gambling on the chance they might make the big time. Rovers did this when we first came down from PL, handing out silly wages and fees and it backfired and we got stung by FFP which undoubtedly stalled our progression. If the voices in India decided to stop bankrolling us we could have been the ones staring down the barrel of a gun. I want to this club live on forever and if it means doing things little by little then so be it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sparky12 said:

As i mentioned previously, if anything we are overachieving at the moment for our first season in the championship, very few teams go back to back. I think TM has been smart and saved his money, if we don't make the play offs, it's hardly a big deal, we have a whole summer to boost the squad for next season. Sheff Utd are the perfect example of this.

For every Sheffield United though there is a Millwall who actually finished above Sheff U last season. There's no guarantees in football so whilst we are in with a chance of the top six we should have given ourselves more of a chance of being able to make it.

As for being smart and saving his money I only wish he'd done that at the end of the summer window.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Iorfa to Sheff we'd for £500,000 from Wolves is a great deal - if he is anything like the player he was the last time we played Wolves at Ewood.

Him and Nyambe would have been great options for RB. 

Oh well, as the legendary Greame Souness once said: "We'll have to wee with the willy we've got!"

... for me this is a missed opportunity to show the fans, the championship and more importantly our better players that we meant business in 2019.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You seem to think its "over entitled" to harbour hopes for a play off push. I consider it just about realistic and an acknowledgment that there IS a lot to be happy about (players and manager) with us so close to the top 6, that rather than settling for safety and stability, 

I harbour plenty of hope for promotion, the difference is I don’t think gambling is necessary at this point.

As others will point out - a large group of posters seem completely oblivious to the other side of the coin. Only 3 teams go up, no need to go over the result of parachute payments running out in this league, we should all remember that.

The irony is, many of these posters are advocating the club drops its prices, or takes a hit to get more fans in the ground. 

“Give me more, and charge me less”. Nah, not even a slight bit over entitled.

Edited by Biz
  • Like 3

Oh well. Would have been nice to have signed Mr. T, Austin, or Gallagher but at least we have kept our best players and not thrown wages at some complete turnip who last had a good game for MK Dons three years ago or a Danny Murphy type. As for Benny B, I hope he can get it together and start scoring and playing well. At least he has time on his side to do so I suppose.

3 hours ago, Biz said:

Sorry @K-Hod - I’m not quoting them all, but this thread is an embarrassing example of the over entitlement of modern football support! 

Think you're getting your terminology somewhat mixed up there, a sense of entitlement means taking success for granted and expecting it as of right.

I haven't seen a single person express the view that we SHOULD be romping away with the division. Nevertheless, now that an opportunity had unexpectedly presented itself I can't see anything wrong at all with most supporters wanting to boost the squad to try and capitalise on that opportunity. In fact on the contrary I find it extremely odd that some fans seem pleased we haven't been able to bring anyone else in.

• Like 2

Accidently pressing the wrong icon on my phone I found myself back in time to page 1 of this thread to read - According to TM 'the recruitment plan is in overdrive' - well thank goodness for that otherwise nothing much might have happened.

And finally Mowbray confirmed what some of us had suspected, we were never, ever, ever, ever in for Assombolonga. He was never a target , despite the interesting diversionary PR play on here.

8 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Indeed we paid what we paid. Sadly it seems we over paid. My point is Mowbray doesn't seem to have any worries about over paying for a player who may or may not come good in a few years time so why does he worry about over paying for someone who may have an impact now and push us into the top 6?

Seems we over paid? How can you judge until.he is played some games back to back. 

Mowbray isnt worried cos he trust his judgement. And tbh so some the fans. 

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

We did make 4 January signings. None of whom will contribute this season.

Mowbray also told us “there is money available” now it isn’t enough. I wonder if we hadn’t spent £7m on Brereton would we have had the money to buy Assombalonga, for example? Do you have a view on this?

Also do you think this was a good window for a team going for the play-offs?

We still wouldnt be able to buy Assombalonga anyway due to wages. 

We kept all key players. Look at Swansea and they lost players and one of their best player has been mess around in James  

Im happy with our squad. 

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Seems we over paid? How can you judge until.he is played some games back to back. 

Mowbray isnt worried cos he trust his judgement. And tbh so some the fans. 

We still wouldnt be able to buy Assombalonga anyway due to wages. 

We kept all key players. Look at Swansea and they lost players and one of their best player has been mess around in James  

Im happy with our squad. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17401247.rovers-owners-were-prepared-to-spend-in-january-says-boss/

I love that you posted less than 10 minutes after the LT finally publishd Mowbray’s comments.

Keep up the good work, Chaddy. Maybe one day you’ll have opinions of your own that we can debate.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Biz said:

I agree.

Others won’t though, your narrative doesn’t suit a vision of an unambitous club and manager who cannot recruit. How others can say that in the face of us reportedly spending 10m+ in our return to the championship and developing a competitive squad that’s not doing to badly in the league.. beyond me.

Everything is beyond you (see what i did there?)

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think you're getting your terminology somewhat mixed up there, a sense of entitlement means taking success for granted and expecting it as of right.

I haven't seen a single person express the view that we SHOULD be romping away with the division. Nevertheless, now that an opportunity had unexpectedly presented itself I can't see anything wrong at all with most supporters wanting to boost the squad to try and capitalise on that opportunity. In fact on the contrary I find it extremely odd that some fans seem pleased we haven't been able to bring anyone else in.

They are called chadites.

5 hours ago, Biz said:

I harbour plenty of hope for promotion, the difference is I don’t think gambling is necessary at this point. 

Says the man who has spent the last few months doing little else on here but defending the obscene amount of money spent on a 19 yo lad who can't get a game. 

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17401247.rovers-owners-were-prepared-to-spend-in-january-says-boss/

I love that you posted less than 10 minutes after the LT finally publishd Mowbray’s comments.

Keep up the good work, Chaddy. Maybe one day you’ll have opinions of your own that we can debate.

Interesting article. The owners again pushing Mowbray to spend and Mowbray again failing to deliver quality. As suspected the £6m or £7m purchase of BB in the last window was a panic buy because Mowbray was expected to spend the money given to him and he couldn't.

Hes never done recruitment well. Let's hope Graham stays fit. 

• Like 2

I respect Mowbray for that , I think we all know of managers that would have been like a kid in a sweet shop ion deadline day if money had been available , the fact that having known this club as been under transfer embargo before coupled with his idea of bringing the right characters as well as the right footballers keeps a steady sensible hand on the wheel . Yes I think we'd all like to see an extra player or 2 but that will wait now til the summer 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Biz said:

As others will point out - a large group of posters seem completely oblivious to the other side of the coin. Only 3 teams go up, no need to go over the result of parachute payments running out in this league, we should all remember that.

The irony is, many of these posters are advocating the club drops its prices, or takes a hit to get more fans in the ground. 

“Give me more, and charge me less”. Nah, not even a slight bit over entitled.

You gamble either way. Build slowly risk your best players leaving and not being able to replace them.

Push the boat out and miss by a small margin and have to find money the season after to balance the books.

A lot of posters aren't worried for no reason. We've been in this position with bowyer with a better team. Then missed out and everyone was sold.

I'm more in the camp get up as quickly as possible in the hope better owners will offer silly money to ditch these clowns and we have genuine stability again. What we have now is a mirage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Didnt even know what the LT has published but clearly you know everything as always Stuart. Maybe one day we might have a debate without you being clever ass. But its never happen so dont worry about it.

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didnt even know what the LT has published but clearly you know everything as always Stuart. Maybe one day we might have a debate without you being clever ass. But its never happen so dont worry about it.

Just an observation Chaddy. You posted after that LT article went up. I doubt I’ve ever got to a Rovers article before you.

Start posting your own opinions instead of searching for the “right answer” (i.e. the incumbent manager opinion) and we’ll have proper debates.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AJW said:

I respect Mowbray for that , I think we all know of managers that would have been like a kid in a sweet shop ion deadline day if money had been available , the fact that having known this club as been under transfer embargo before coupled with his idea of bringing the right characters as well as the right footballers keeps a steady sensible hand on the wheel . Yes I think we'd all like to see an extra player or 2 but that will wait now til the summer 

Mowbray said the total opposite at the end of August after buying BB. He said 'if the money is there let's spend it'. 

He'll say whatever suits his needs at a particular time. Man of integrity though:rolleyes:

Edited by blueboy3333

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray said the total opposite at the end of August after buying BB. He said 'if the money is there let's spend it'. 

He'll say whatever suits his needs at a particular time. Man of integrity though:rolleyes:

Shouldn't Mowbray's August comments be taken in the context of having identified a player and reached an agreement on a fee with the player's club? Instead of impugning his integrity?