BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

• Backroom
Just now, had.e.nuff said:

Does anyone actualy know how the £7M deal payments are structured and what triggers each payment .

I heard that it's 6 million, 2 million a year for 3 years to help with FFP. 

All in all not too disappointed. We got Harry back, and if we are adding January's budget to the summer one, then it could be a fruitful next window. If that money helps bring in Harrison Reed permanently and a few more then great. The squad so far is sitting in 8th and only just showing signs of form. If we continue in this manner then the play offs are still a distinct possibility. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

I never said world-beater! That's just your usual hype when you try to defend the tripe you post.

Half-decent would do for me at this stage!

How will I  be able to judge him on a long sequence of starts/sub appearances when, on what he's shown so far, he won't be making them.

How old is Travis by the way? Bit more value there?

Travis has had a fantastic 6 weeks and moved his stock forward greatly.

I don’t think that’s beyond any of our young players yet you and others will gladly write someone off who hasn’t!

Not for me.

I cant say I'm too upset we didnt break the bank to sign some of the names we were talking about last week. Yes they would make an immediate impact but the wages involved are obviously far an above our current wage structure. We have to be careful we dont go for broke only to miss out on promotion leaving a serious financial problem the year after. Weve seen it at other clubs. 

I am surporised we didnt push the boat out a little for an experienced loan signgning until the end of the season. At least that way the risk is only with us for 6 months. They may not have been available however. 

Agree with other comments that not spending on BB and putting all money into one high qulity signing earlier in the year would have been a better way to go by the looks of it. Wonder if TM has gone all cautious with funds having been stung by what hes seen with BB.

Edited by benhben
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Biz said:

Travis has had a fantastic 6 weeks and moved his stock forward greatly.

I don’t think that’s beyond any of our young players yet you and others will gladly write someone off who hasn’t!

Not for me.

Parson watches a lot of our academy matches and has a very positive attitude to our young players. He has doubts about Brereton. If he, who is encouraging of our youth, thinks Brereton probably won't cut the mustard, then I suspect he won't.

I saw Brereton myself at St James Park and wasn't impressed with the look of him but I wouldn't judge him on that alone. However, I do have to say that I felt he didn't even show desire let alone ability that day. 

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

@Madon properly quiet on that Lithuanian guy, any chance you could find out what happened? 

He's playing in the Under 18's at the minute. Played vs Derby in their last game.

Just now, gumboots said:

Parson watches a lot of our academy matches and has a very positive attitude to our young players. He has doubts about Brereton. If he, who is encouraging of our youth, thinks Brereton probably won't cut the mustard, then I suspect he won't.

I saw him myself at St James Park and wasn't impressed with the look of him but I wouldn't judge him on that alone. However, I do have to say that I felt he didn't even show desire let alone ability that day. 

I wonder how he has over 50 games under his belt in the championship and still only 19, someone must have rated him ,I would get him in the u23s and try to get his confidence back .

• Like 1

I think the emrgence of Travis plus the addition of chapman means we possibly arent as over reliant on DG. With evans and smallwood in the middle and reed out wide, we had no chance of passing through the lines or getting high up the pitch easily. I think we now have the option of playing arma/nutall up top if needed and playing through the lines a bit more on the deck. Wouldnt be ideal but its certainly more doable now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Now the window is closed we can get back to football.  Personally, and I know many on here will disagree, I think this window has more or less fitted in with what we were told at the consultation meeting in the summer.  Both Mowbray and Waggott said they had told the owners that throwing money at it was not the way to go.  That it had to be a gradual process in which the foundations were built on in a progressive way.  That seems to be the approach we have adopted.  I'm sure if he could have got Gallagher on loan he would - but Southampton didn't want to release him which is fair enough.

We only have to look at Brereton to see how every deal is a gamble.  Hopefully, the lad will come good given time - although personally I have my doubts.

The January window is never the best for serious transfer business because fees become inflated as panic sets in.  As it is both Travis and Nuttall now have the opportunity to show they are capable of holding down a place in the team/squad over the long term. 

The time to judge the strategy that the club is following is in a couple of years time, not just a few months into it.  Mowbray and Waggott seem to have a good relationship with Mr. & Mrs. Desai and from what they say it would appear that the two brothers are not really involved now.  I'm more than happy that we are now moving in the right direction with the right management/admin teams in place.  If we finish outside the play-offs, which I've always thought we would, a mid-table finish would be perfectly acceptable and give us a platform on which to build. 

If Tweedles Dumb and Dee aren't really involved now no wonder things have settled down a bit I just hope it stays that way and big sis keeps this toy on the top shelf firmly out of reach and Balaji's 'pals' on mute.

All  that would probably tally in with the auditors/management consultants going in and it now actually being run like a football business, say what you want about her and hubby - and I have - they are clearly the business brains behind the whole empire, know nothing about football but by god they seem to know about amassing wealth they just need to let the right people spend it for a bit !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

I have no qualms about being outpriced and sticking to a sensible wage structure but as others have pointed out, it wouldnt have been too difficult to establish what these players were going to cost weeks ago and therefore could/should have looked elsewhere. Even an up and coming striker from League 1 that has been banging them in all season (there is a handful of them) would have been a low cost option that could have provided decent cover for DG should he suffer an injury.

I thought we worked off A, B and C lists but from what I can gather we had one player on that list who was in the ended wanted at Southampton and were simply offered the option to take the other two which were well out of our price range.

Oh well, it is what it is but I just hope DG can stay fit. 

• Like 1

Forest are a bigger club than us, with far bigger budgets and he played plenty 1st team games as an 18 year old. How many 18 year olds at any level break into the 1st team these days and play regular like that. He's been an england regualar all all youth levels.

The kid can clearly play and has talent, we just havent seen it yet in his brief cameos.

Im sure he will come good. But I think most fans deep down know all this. The real issue is we spent 7m on a prospect when the team needed an instant starter and the fallout from that is leading to brereton bearing all the frustration. As a result he's getting far to much stick and now he looks well short of confidence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

I wonder how he has over 50 games under his belt in the championship and still only 19, someone must have rated him ,I would get him in the u23s and try to get his confidence back .

I honestly don't know. Perhaps, like a lot on here, they hoped he'd come good if they kept playing him. Perhaps they were short of strikers and he has to play. Perhaps he's one of those who looks good as a young teen only to fail to progress. That happens to lots of youngsters. Could be any number of reasons

We went into the window desperately needing a back up for Graham and we've come out of it desperately needing a back up for Graham. Short term signing or long term signing, we needed somebody just in case Graham gets crocked and for the last 20 minutes when he's run out of puff.  Nuttall isn't the answer at this level. Samuel won't play again before the season is almost over. If he does he was barely good enough before, I can't see a serious injury making him a better player. As for the Six million dollar man, if he'd come up through our ranks he'd be off on loan to Stanley or Lincoln. To be honest I saw more footballing ability in Tomlinson and we've just released him.

Well we are were we are. As other people have said we've let our sense of entitlement run away with us. We should have been happy with finishing out of the bottom three, maybe we've got altitude sickness being so high up the table.

What surprises me is that our management team seem to be surprised that even bit part Premier League players are on big bucks ! I thought even the dogs in the street knew that.

I don't know much about Assombalonga but from what I read he wasn't a like for like Graham replacement. Gallagher I've seen play and he definitely isn't. Austin would have fitted the bill more in that respect.

I find it hard to believe that we seriously looked beyond these three, There must be players in the lower leagues capable of running around with a bit of purpose at the end of the game.

• Backroom
Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Was meant to sign on a permanent deal this January

I'm pretty sure he has signed permanently but Rovers haven't publicly announced it due him being an under-18. I may be wrong!

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Forest are a bigger club than us, with far bigger budgets and he played plenty 1st team games as an 18 year old. How many 18 year olds at any level break into the 1st team these days and play regular like that. He's been an england regualar all all youth levels.

And yet they let him go for £7m, which is a fairly low amount for a young English striker with so much supposed potential - and some of that may not even be guaranteed to them, if it's in instalments or based on certain achievements. Something doesn't quite add up there for me. It's not like Forest are strapped for cash and desperately needed the extra money. 

That said it's still a lot to spend on a player who can't have an immediate impact. I think that's the only real point that is being made by people disappointed in Brereton's signing. Even if you only spent £2-3m on a player, at this level you expect them to come in and at least have some kind of impact. Cairney and Evans both cost less than £1m. Dack was £750k. Graham and Bennett either free or nominal fees. Mulgrew was free. AA was £1.75m.  Brereton's contribution hasn't been anywhere near good enough considering the fee we paid/will pay for him - although I put the blame on whoever signed him for that, not the player himself.

I would say that if Graham gets injured maybe it would force Brereton to start matches and he'd acclimitise that way, but Mowbray has already made it clear in previous matches that he'd rather put an attacking midfielder into that CF role before putting Brereton there - despite his reportedly legendary finishing in training. Again, something doesn't quite add up there but no journalist seems willing to ask the question. 

I'm still of the mind that this season might be our best crack at slipping into the top six. A combination of a settled team, momentum from L1 promotion, our quality players still going strong and mostly staying injury/suspension free (Dack, Graham, Mulgrew), not to mention the emergence of Travis and having an excellent versatile player on loan in Reed. 

How much of that will be true next season? The momentum from promotion will obviously be gone. Graham and Mulgrew will be a year older. Dack will likely have some significant interest from various clubs. Reed wants to establish himself at Southampton so that one is very much up in the air as far as a permanent signing is concerned. 

I don't know. I can see this being similar to Bowyer's tenure, where we slowly start regressing after a promising start, ending with us drifting in mid to lower-mid table for a while. If Coyle hadn't been appointed I don't think we would have even been relegated in 16/17, and would have continued on the trajectory of Championship non-entities. Maybe that is our ceiling under the current owners, and if so then we'd just have to hope for a miracle Blackpool style season where it all suddenly clicks and we sneak ourselves into the PL. Not something that happens too often these days though!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Dan James in at Leeds. £1.5m loan deal rising to around £10m if promoted. Smart bit of business. James on the left and Jack Clarke on the right gives massive options. Rip some full backs another ring piece.

Talk to me again about this...

25 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

The kid can clearly play and has talent, we just havent seen it yet in his brief cameos.

Im sure he will come good. But I think most fans deep down know all this. The real issue is we spent 7m on a prospect when the team needed an instant starter and the fallout from that is leading to brereton bearing all the frustration. As a result he's getting far to much stick and now he looks well short of confidence.

A fair summary for me. I do think that if Graham wasn't as undroppable as he is then BB would have contributed quite a bit more, grown into the team more and we wouldn't be so concerned with the numbers.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think you're getting your terminology somewhat mixed up there, a sense of entitlement means taking success for granted and expecting it as of right.

I haven't seen a single person express the view that we SHOULD be romping away with the division. Nevertheless, now that an opportunity had unexpectedly presented itself I can't see anything wrong at all with most supporters wanting to boost the squad to try and capitalise on that opportunity. In fact on the contrary I find it extremely odd that some fans seem pleased we haven't been able to bring anyone else in.

Depends how you look at it Rev.