BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

This thread is missing a certain something without Chaddy

Well he tweeted Nixon earlier today so nothing has changed there. Surprisingly though his tweet wasn’t about Rovers but about Huddersfield’s new gaffer... You can take the Chaddy out the forum, but you can’t take the Chaddy out of the Nixon.

Edited by Butty

Joe Rothwell's impact from bench on left side yesterday suggests to me that if that form can be repeated regularly that we don't need a Chapman or Edwards type that would take up a squad number and additional wages.

My preference would be for Mowbray (Waggot) and Rodwell to agree a longer term deal. 

Edited by because of boxing day
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Butty said:

Well he tweeted Nixon earlier today so nothing has changed there. Surprisingly though his tweet wasn’t about Rovers but about Huddersfield’s new gaffer... You can take the Chaddy out the forum, but you can’t take the Chaddy out of the Nixon.

You owe me a sip of beer

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we signed Rodwell to a an extended contract it would be cracking business. He looks quality when fit. 

I'm hopeful it was already part of his original deal. The club just chose not to advertise it for 'fallout' reasons, as he wasn't the most popular player in football.

Say he signed a £5k a week contract for 18/19, but the club had a 2 year £10k+ option written in if he was successful.

It would make no sense to take such a risk - even a relatively cheap one - on a player with his pedigree without an option of securing him IF he were a success.

Last thing we want is to turn around his reputation for an 8 month "loan" and then lose him for free.

1 hour ago, because of boxing day said:

Joe Rothwell's impact from bench on left side yesterday suggests to me that if that form can be repeated regularly that we don't need a Chapman or Edwards type that would take up a squad number and additional wages.

My preference would be for Mowbray (Waggot) and Rodwell to agree a longer term deal. 

I just don't really think Rotheells a wide player to be honest. Like Armstrong and Bennett he can do a job there but at best he's an inside forward sort of player.

It's horses for courses sometimes, and reasonably regularly we need some genuine width.

As for Rodwell, it's likely there is some sort of extension clause in the contract but probably non binding on either party.

That said the chances of him sticking with us are pretty high. He's playing well, obviously gets on with the manager. I doubt after his checkered past he will be looking for a new move that could be disruptive to his rehabilitation.

I'm sure if we offered him he will stay. While good his performance have not been so amazing to tempt a prem team to swoop in and take him.

Could be with us a while I think.

21 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I'm hopeful it was already part of his original deal. The club just chose not to advertise it for 'fallout' reasons, as he wasn't the most popular player in football.

Say he signed a £5k a week contract for 18/19, but the club had a 2 year £10k+ option written in if he was successful.

It would make no sense to take such a risk - even a relatively cheap one - on a player with his pedigree without an option of securing him IF he were a success.

Last thing we want is to turn around his reputation for an 8 month "loan" and then lose him for free.

I’d be astonished if we were “only” £5k per week (on a one year deal with no transfer fee). This is a guy (or his agent) who put a non-relegation clause in his Sunderland contract when everyone else didn’t. He’s not daft.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17369831.rovers-boss-on-the-possibility-of-new-deal-for-jack-rodwell/

“If he’s not playing enough come the end of the season and wants to do something else then we will take that on the chin. But if he wants to, and we think it’s the right thing for him to stay, then we will offer him a new deal. I think that’s up in the air" - Mogga on Rodwell situation from a couple of days ago. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17369831.rovers-boss-on-the-possibility-of-new-deal-for-jack-rodwell/

“If he’s not playing enough come the end of the season and wants to do something else then we will take that on the chin. But if he wants to, and we think it’s the right thing for him to stay, then we will offer him a new deal. I think that’s up in the air" - Mogga on Rodwell situation from a couple of days ago. 

He's off then. 

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

More like 10k then 20k i'd wager.  Like Graham and Mulgrew he could turn out to be one of those that's worth it though if his attitude and fitness held up.

Edited by tomphil

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

More like 10k then 20k i'd wager.  Like Graham and Mulgrew he could turn out to be one of those that's worth it though if his attitude and fitness held up.

Mowbray has said on more than one occasion that the lad isn't motivated by money (these days at least). Rodwell has said similar in the past.

I bet 5k is near the mark for his current deal, maybe less, with heavy appearance incentives. We don't play flush with wages these days and he was by no means a guaranteed starter even when fit. The rub could be in what he or his agent want next if he does go on a long run of appearances restoring some of his stock.

Could go down as a marvelous piece of business - I would be offering him two years now and getting him involved more in the first team. I prefer him in CM ideally alongside Reed or Travis but he has improved at CB too. 

His agent will be putting the feelers out as even if a PL wont touch him yet there will now be plenty of Championship clubs who will have seen him play and will think he is a great freebie to pick up at the end of the season. 

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Mowbray has said on more than one occasion that the lad isn't motivated by money (these days at least). Rodwell has said similar in the past.

I bet 5k is near the mark for his current deal, maybe less, with heavy appearance incentives. We don't play flush with wages these days and he was by no means a guaranteed starter even when fit. The rub could be in what he or his agent want next if he does go on a long run of appearances restoring some of his stock.

I don't think its fair to say he was ever any more motivated by money than any other footballer. I just don't get why fans say this about him. No player has ever asked for less wages and no player would ever tear up their contract for no reason, particularly if they haven't been allowed play and therefore put themselves in the shop window. 

• Like 1