BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Why has everything got to be ‘an agenda’? That’s so 2014.

I can’t agree that we have sufficient cover at cb. You are making an assumption about Mowbray’s assessment. He is gambling on the fitness of two very fragile players. One of whom has missed 7 games this season - including the last two and is being covered by full backs. That’s not to be lauded as some kind of managerial genius, it’s borderline negligence.

I have to take exception to your first paragraph though. Coyle isn’t the only “manager” who has got work on the back of a one-time success, rather any kind of long-term mustard cutting.

I understand concerns over the squad but you know I’m an optimist and think we’ve already got 99% of what we need to have a go at this season’s run in...

But equating Mowbray to the Coyle’s of this world I’d have to take issue with.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I understand concerns over the squad but you know I’m an optimist and think we’ve already got 99% of what we need to have a go at this season’s run in...

But equating Mowbray to the Coyle’s of this world I’d have to take issue with.

I’m not equating Mowbray with Coyle. I’m saying length of time in football does not automatically mean “good manager”. That just needs taking out of the debate as it isn’t true.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Why has everything got to be ‘an agenda’? That’s so 2014.

I can’t agree that we have sufficient cover at cb. You are making an assumption about Mowbray’s assessment. He is gambling on the fitness of two very fragile players. One of whom has missed 7 games this season - including the last two and is being covered by full backs. That’s not to be lauded as some kind of managerial genius, it’s borderline negligence.

I have to take exception to your first paragraph though. Coyle isn’t the only “manager” who has got work on the back of a one-time success, rather any kind of long-term mustard cutting.

When was the last time Bryan Robson worked in management? Or Stuart Pearce? Or Steve McMahon? Or Teddy Sherringham?

14 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’m not equating Mowbray with Coyle. I’m saying length of time in football does not automatically mean “good manager”. That just needs taking out of the debate as it isn’t true.

100% agree with that.

13 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

When was the last time Bryan Robson worked in management? Or Stuart Pearce? Or Steve McMahon? Or Teddy Sherringham?

Not even sure where you are going with that. Naming failed managers to justify Mowbray being a good one. He was on his arse and falling until Rovers gave him a lifeline. Let’s not forget that. There are plenty of managers who keep getting gigs despite being crap. McLaren, Moyes, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Madon said:

?Signed/signing him. 

Mm, a really fit Chapman would be great, he's a special talent.  Would 'Boro be letting him go if he was fit though ?    I'm just concerned he's the sort of player that will be permanently hampered by a succession of muscle injuries. I'd have preferred a loan until Summer. I hope it wasn't a large fee.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, a really fit Chapman would be great, he's a special talent.  Would 'Boro be letting him go if he was fit though ?    I'm just concerned he's the sort of player that will be permanently hampered by a succession of muscle injuries. I'd have preferred a loan until Summer. I hope it wasn't a large fee.

I'd hope a nominal fee on an 18 month contract with another year option in the clubs favour. Pace is such a key aspect of Chapman's game and some of that which we saw last year will have gone already after 3 hamstring injuries in a year.

Signing Chapman would be a somewhat exciting signing, but also a worryingly unimaginative and heavily risky one.

His injuries are a primary concern. To have recurring hamstring problems at his age is obviously a huge issue, especially someone so reliant on pace.

This nonsense about loaning him out needs to be dismissed too. If he did sign and was fit enough to play, he has to be around our first team. He provides width which we sorely lack, therefore

Mowbray said either today or yesterday that he wants players who can come straight into the 11. Signing a player he has specifically stated that he wouldnt see as a potential starter would contradict that.

All that being said, there is part of me that would be excited having seen him play before. Hes the type to get you on the edge of your seat. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Can't imagine it would be a large fee.  You would expect around £500k plus a couple of add ons.  Doubt they would get any more at a compensation tribunal.  

Injury issues yes, but the lad seemed an intelligent footballer and technically decent with both feet.  Could easily  adapt to the '10' role if he loses a yard. Seems a nice lad as well.  Well worth the risk I reckon.  Type of player that would only need one good season to massively increase in value. 

Good option to have on the bench at least.

I also think that he may have had is heart set on a move (matey with Dack etc) and may not have wanted to sign a deal at Boro to gain the move (pure conjecture that bit!)

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Isn’t Armstrong quicker? It’s technical ability that really stood out for me. First yard in the head or the trick etc.

The impression I got was he was lacking in the " football brain " aspect of the game. I mentioned a while back when he came on at Oldham almost the first thing he did was get the ball out wide left deep in our half. The right back was at least 6 yards away and ready for him but Chapman Just kicked the ball past him and set off in a foot race. He may be quick but he couldn't win that race and he got slid into touch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the first time he got injured he hadn't warmed up properly and the second time was when he played his comeback reserve game on a freezing cold night. Not smart.

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I'd hope a nominal fee on an 18 month contract with another year option in the clubs favour. Pace is such a key aspect of Chapman's game and some of that which we saw last year will have gone already after 3 hamstring injuries in a year.

Not sure I buy the loss of pace issue in young players.  How many times did Josh King do his hamstring at Rovers? must have been a similar amount and it didn't slow him down.  Also didn't think Chapman was blistering. More  'nippy' and skillful. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The impression I got was he was lacking in the " football brain " aspect of the game. I mentioned a while back when he came on at Oldham almost the first thing he did was get the ball out wide left deep in our half. The right back was at least 6 yards away and ready for him but Chapman Just kicked the ball past him and set off in a foot race. He may be quick but he couldn't win that race and he got slid into touch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the first time he got injured he hadn't warmed up properly and the second time was when he played his comeback reserve game on a freezing cold night. Not smart.

Aye I see what you mean, but if we took that Oldham game as any judgement on ability I’d practically want a new first eleven.

8 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not sure I buy the loss of pace issue in young players.  How many times did Josh King do his hamstring at Rovers? must have been a similar amount and it didn't slow him down.  Also didn't think Chapman was blistering. More  'nippy' and skillful. 

I agree - this is the thing. 

We are just taking advantage of Pulis being Pulis. 

He’s an exciting young England youth international that oozes quality, we’ve all seen it.

Yes it might not seem “imaginative”, or “for now” and he might not be Danish or whatever - but by having him last season we’ve laid the groundwork for a real bargain signing like Armstrong.

Everything is risk vs reward. It’s just too attractive a “gamble” not to take.

No brainer for me and I hope it happens as soon as Maja has finished his ice coffee and signed his contract.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

I agree - this is the thing. 

We are just taking advantage of Pulis being Pulis. 

He’s an exciting young England youth international that oozes quality, we’ve all seen it.

Yes it might not seem “imaginative”, or “for now” and he might not be Danish or whatever - but by having him last season we’ve laid the groundwork for a real bargain signing like Armstrong.

Everything is risk vs reward. It’s just too attractive a “gamble” not to take.

No brainer for me and I hope it happens as soon as Maja has finished his ice coffee and signed his contract.

That's the spirit ?.

Lower league and short appearances etc but Chapman is the nearest I've seen to Duff in a long time.  A player that genuinely gets you off your seat when he gets the ball.   If he can be half as successful....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not even sure where you are going with that. Naming failed managers to justify Mowbray being a good one. He was on his arse and falling until Rovers gave him a lifeline. Let’s not forget that. There are plenty of managers who keep getting gigs despite being crap. McLaren, Moyes, etc.

I wasn't naming failed managers to juxtapose against Mowbray but you know that. Mowbray was undergoing an enforced hiatus when we appointed him but we were hardly in rude health ourselves at the time, so it has been a mutually beneficial arrangement.

I've seen enough of your interminable arguments on here to know that I don't have the time or patience for it. I'll leave you to ruminate on your irrational irritation with Tony Mowbray and your inevitable last word. 

15 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Obviously this a forum for debate and everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, some seem to genuinely believe that they know better than a man who has spent around 40 years in professional football, has largely compiled the squad and sees the players in training every day. Astonishing.

Up there with the shittest posts I’ve seen on here. Coyle has worked in professional football for 34 years, is he uncriticisable as well? What about Kean, he’s played since 1985 so he must be clued up, right? Shite post that shouldn’t have been liked.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Up there with the shittest posts I’ve seen on here. Coyle has worked in professional football for 34 years, is he uncriticisable as well? What about Kean, he’s played since 1985 so he must be clued up, right? Shite post that shouldn’t have been liked.

Comparing Mowbray with Kean and Coyle? You should be more circumspect when bandying adjectives like 'shit' around. Also you don't get a say on what people like.

• Like 2