BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

@Stuart - cheers. I think he’s done well to turn around the squad in the way he has so I can’t agree on transfer business.

Much of that is the class signings of Dack, Armstrong and Rodwell - but others like Rothwell and Bell are improving along with the youngsters he’s picked from the academy. To add to this, you can only improve the ones in the club on the training pitch AND by buying the right characters and strengths, it’s hard to argue against the squad being as competitive as it’s been in a decade.

When most of them are u25, it’s also quite difficult for me to not be excited about their potential to improve. All this excludes the potential cock up in BB, but his age and pedigree (hence cost) should give lots of time to improve in the same way that Raya, Armstrong, Nyambe, Travis, Nuttall, Evans, Lenihan etc all have under Mowbray!

• Like 2

At what point do we stop seeing a player as a midfielder Mulgrew has played the vast chunk  of his career as a center back and plays there at international level. Lenihan was a defencive midfielder coming through our youth team but since he broke into the team has been playing at cb I'd argue that's his position now if you don't agree the Rodwell was a cb coming through Evertons youth and moved into midfield in the first team so does that make him a cb? 

• Like 3

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

At what point do we stop seeing a player as a midfielder Mulgrew has played the vast chunk  of his career as a center back and plays there at international level. Lenihan was a defencive midfielder coming through our youth team but since he broke into the team has been playing at cb I'd argue that's his position now if you don't agree the Rodwell was a cb coming through Evertons youth and moved into midfield in the first team so does that make him a cb? 

This argument kicked off a couple of months ago and was never fully resolved. Best just to leave it haha.

20 minutes ago, Biz said:

@Stuart - cheers. I think he’s done well to turn around the squad in the way he has so I can’t agree on transfer business.

Much of that is the class signings of Dack, Armstrong and Rodwell - but others like Rothwell and Bell are improving along with the youngsters he’s picked from the academy. To add to this, you can only improve the ones in the club on the training pitch AND by buying the right characters and strengths, it’s hard to argue against the squad being as competitive as it’s been in a decade.

When most of them are u25, it’s also quite difficult for me to not be excited about their potential to improve. All this excludes the potential cock up in BB, but his age and pedigree (hence cost) should give lots of time to improve in the same way that Raya, Armstrong, Nyambe, Travis, Nuttall, Evans, Lenihan etc all have under Mowbray!

I notice you didn't mention Brereton!   Better late than never! :P

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Constructive criticism (that's mostly what I read about Mowbray) is completely different to moaning. I genuinely believe that the vast majority of fans appreciate that Mowbray has been 'very decent' but there have been failings too. His tactics, substitutions, team selection will always be open to criticism as we all pretty much see things differently and by his own admission he over thinks too much. Your description of average in the transfer market is about right with some really good incoming signings and some poor ones.

He is worth his position at the moment but there will nearly always be perceived issues from fans. That goes with the territory of anybody in the public eye. And I'd be amazed if Mowbray wasn't critical of himself at times. 

surely it should be great instead of very decent job?

he has rebuild a football club and fanbase that was rock bottom was Coyle here? 

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Are we reckoning on a half time announcement of Harry Chapman? Did anyone see the way Celtic announced their new player on Wednesday? Can't see us going down that route. Maybe Harry coming out dressed as David Bowie carrying a cup of Bovril. 

hope so 

15 minutes ago, Biz said:

exactly. much of the squad is under 25. 

I think Mowbray has done a great job rebuilding a football club and a fanbase

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

hope so 

download.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

So an transfers then...

Mowbray - take away the fee for BB and i think most would say he is doing better than expected this season. Include the fee and many will suggest we could/should be doing better.

Fine line to draw.

Interesting reading TM comments in the LET about buying from rivals in the champ and having to overpay to get players which we may not see a financial  return on - due to the high purchase price.  The alternative being free transfers,  premier loans or buying players on Loan with a view from lower leagues.

I wonder if he feels he'd had his fingers burnt with the Brereton deal.  Last summer we were trying to sign several players from championship clubs.

Now it appears he isn't keen on that route...and yes I realise that Chapman is from the same league.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

hope so 

I was quoting somebody else hence the quotation marks. I personally would put his tenure into the good category.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Not true at all. When you’re ignoring 9/10 decisions to criticise the 1/10, it’s you that’s unfairly playing the man(ager) instead of being fair about his decisions and success overall. Balance. We remember you didn’t want Mowbray, you don’t have to constantly justify the initial underwhelming.

Charlton away a great example. How anyone could refer to that game as a major criticism in the scheme of last season... beyond my understanding. It’s almost as if you saw finishing second as an insult! Charlton was 4/5 days after the best day as a Rovers fan since... 2009? I dunno..

And this week. To be so frustrated that we now only have 4 options at CB instead of 5, it’s disengenous.

Not only you that - I couldn’t help but laugh that earlier in the week, our three centrebacks (Mulgrew, Lenihan and Rodwell) are all kind of “un droppable” at current... the minute we sell/loan Downing, we only have “converted midfielders”....

Thats typical BRFCS for you. If I remember correctly Stuart, you snarled at not using u23s in the newcastle game - it 3/4 of Del, Jack, Darragh and Charlie gets injured - don’t we still have a few other than those on loan to get involved?

The Charlton game was a valid criticism and one in isolation, I don't see how it is or has to be related to the promotion at Doncaster? I went to both games, and I was annoyed at Mowbrays attitude (quotes in the media and team selection) towards the potential winning of a title. Obviously that feeling wasnt as strong as the happiness of Doncaster away, but thats seperate, the 2 dont have to be intertwined. You say second was seen as an "insult" and I do get that promotion was the priority, but why stop there? We are Blackburn Rovers, we dont win titles very often at any level, and we had a very realistic chance of winning one if we went at it full throttle for another week and half, but for no reason at all, we didnt. Had we finished 2nd after Mowbray had done all he can to get to first, then that bad taste in the mouth would have been avoided.

Overall, I was still happy obviously with the job Mowbray had done, and is still doing. But what he has done well and the achievements he has undoubtedly done (which has given him the backing of the fans and has done throughout) does not give him a free pass to avoiding criticism when he does things perceive to be wrong or faulty. Take his 

Such an attitude seems prevalent this season by some of our supporters too. People already seem content enough with were we are in January to already be focusing on planning for next season. Why cap your ambitions and aspirations like that? We are doing well, and an unlikely play off place would be an excellent overachievement. A win today and we go 3 points away. We should go all out and aim for that until its mathematically impossible.

In regards to our centre back conundrum, what you fail to account for is that many people do not consider Derrick Williams to be a competent Championship centre back. He should never have been above Downing in the pecking order in that position. So we have 3 centre backs, all with historical injury problems, one of whom has only become a centre back this season, albeit very effectively recently, he has also had spells where he has looked really poor there.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

1. The Charlton game was a valid criticism and one in isolation, I don't see how it is or has to be related to the promotion at Doncaster? I went to both games, and I was annoyed at Mowbrays attitude (quotes in the media and team selection) towards the potential winning of a title. Obviously that feeling wasnt as strong as the happiness of Doncaster away, but thats seperate, the 2 dont have to be intertwined. You say second was seen as an "insult" and I do get that promotion was the priority, but why stop there? We are Blackburn Rovers, we dont win titles very often at any level, and we had a very realistic chance of winning one if we went at it full throttle for another week and half, but for no reason at all, we didnt. Had we finished 2nd after Mowbray had done all he can to get to first, then that bad taste in the mouth would have been avoided.

2. Overall, I was still happy obviously with the job Mowbray had done, and is still doing. But what he has done well and the achievements he has undoubtedly done (which has given him the backing of the fans and has done throughout) does not give him a free pass to avoiding criticism when he does things perceive to be wrong or faulty. Take his 

3. Such an attitude seems prevalent this season by some of our supporters too. People already seem content enough with were we are in January to already be focusing on planning for next season. Why cap your ambitions and aspirations like that? We are doing well, and an unlikely play off place would be an excellent overachievement. A win today and we go 3 points away. We should go all out and aim for that until its mathematically impossible.

4. In regards to our centre back conundrum, what you fail to account for is that many people do not consider Derrick Williams to be a competent Championship centre back. He should never have been above Downing in the pecking order in that position. So we have 3 centre backs, all with historical injury problems, one of whom has only become a centre back this season, albeit very effectively recently, he has also had spells where he has looked really poor there.

1. Is it through really? To be still butthurt by that result (I was there for both too) is exactly what I’m talking about in choosing the 1/10 to complain about and ignoring the 9/10.

I remember TM saying the third division trophy won’t keep him his job, or words to that effect and I agreed then, just like I do now. Ask Paul cook if he’d swap positions with us this season, for finishing second last year!

The bad taste is a choice you’ve made. After the sweet taste of redemption at the Keepmoat, I’m not sure how a limp display/a few comments you disagree with could make such a difference.

2. I don’t think anyone has suggested the guy is free from any legitimate criticisms, but I personally feel many are unwarranted!

3. Who says we aren’t going all out? The body language of the players at the defeats I watched before Christmas suggest they are as disappointed as we are by losing. If you are referencing this to our lack of intent this window, the main criticism from the summer window seemed lack of signings that went straight in the team. TM himself said he only wants that kind of acquisition at the moment, so it would be a 180 for some to criticise this approach.

4. I don’t think a lot of Del Wil either but I’m happy that he is a squad option, be it second choice LB or fourth CB. 

The scenario that we need to have a better fourth choice option in case the worst happens is not a priority for me. I’d sooner stick a few quid on a chapman or another winger, or loan a backup to Bell/Nyambe personally - a much more legitimate necessity  in my eyes.

Edited by Biz
  • Like 2