BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Our scouts seriously need letting go.

Do we even have any? :unsure:

Yes we do. Mowbray has explaining the scouting system at Rovers. 

Stuart Harvey is our Chief Scout and head of playing recruitment. 

can you explain why you current problem is with us signing good players who are British nationality and not signing foreign players?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biz said:

1. Is it through really? To be still butthurt by that result (I was there for both too) is exactly what I’m talking about in choosing the 1/10 to complain about and ignoring the 9/10.

I remember TM saying the third division trophy won’t keep him his job, or words to that effect and I agreed then, just like I do now. Ask Paul cook if he’d swap positions with us this season, for finishing second last year!

The bad taste is a choice you’ve made. After the sweet taste of redemption at the Keepmoat, I’m not sure how a limp display/a few comments you disagree with could make such a difference.

2. I don’t think anyone has suggested the guy is free from any legitimate criticisms, but I personally feel many are unwarranted!

3. Who says we aren’t going all out? The body language of the players at the defeats I watched before Christmas suggest they are as disappointed as we are by losing. If you are referencing this to our lack of intent this window, the main criticism from the summer window seemed lack of signings that went straight in the team. TM himself said he only wants that kind of acquisition at the moment, so it would be a 180 for some to criticise this approach.

4. I don’t think a lot of Del Wil either but I’m happy that he is a squad option, be it second choice LB or fourth CB. 

The scenario that we need to have a better fourth choice option in case the worst happens is not a priority for me. I’d sooner stick a few quid on a chapman or another winger, or loan a backup to Bell/Nyambe personally - a much more legitimate necessity  in my eyes.

1.Has anyone even mentioned the Charlton game in months and months? You are over exaggerating the fall out of seeing a potential league title as unimportant, in comparison to the praise and unified backing he received on promotion. The Charlton game was only such a big deal because he had implied in the week that basically he wasnt arsed about a league title. We had 2 more games to push through, and a very realistic chance of a title. To see that as unimportant is a pretty big deal. That being said, it was forgotten about soon after, we had a full house on for the Oxford celebrations and it was praise from there on in. No one has said they would swap the title for struggles this year. If you see a potential league title as unimportant, then thats up to you and fair enough. It is a big deal to some. It doesnt mean that people havent praised or dont appreciate a bloody promotion!

3. I am more referring to fans on here, not to Mowbray and the team.

4. I agree that centre back is not first priority to be honest. I think a left back and a winger are bigger priorities.

My views on the Chapman deal are as I have said before, I think its an unimaginative one, and one we should have avoided based on his injury issues. But there has to be an element of excitement because he is undoubtedly talented.

I dont get loaning him out at all though. We need a winger. Does a fit Harry Chapman get into our 18 man squad? Certainly. Would he be possibly the first name to be brought on off the bench if he didnt start? Yes. So why loan him out, rather than Brereton for example, who hasnt offered a threat off the bench, perhaps wouldnt get into the 18, and is in need of a pick me up?

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

where that from?

I think there is very decent chance we will sign Reed permanent in the summer, He is enjoying his football here 

I wouldn't. He would benefit from playing games regular and not being a bit part player

I expect Bauer on a free in summer. sensible. 

I'm been very surprise if we get him as he has been part of Southampton recent squad and supposedly they want to sell Auston before the deadline

Welcome back to the messageboard.

I sense an inconsistency in your comments about Chapman compared to Brereton, done perhaps to fall in line with Mowbrays exact suggestion on what he will do.

Brereton has been the very definition of a bit part player here. If Chapman was fit he would be in the 18 every time, above Brereton in terms of someone who could improve us. So why keep Brereton collecting dust on the bench (at best) and loan out a player who has shown far more in a Rovers shirt to suggest he can give us something different and offer a real threat?

Regarding scouting, I suspect @Stuart shares the same mindset of me, in that Chapman and Gallagher would be very unimaginative signings, solely based on knowing them based on previous mixed spells at the club in the past, there has to be better out there than a striker who is not a focal point in attack so will no doubt be put wide, and an injury prone winger the manager doesnt trust to start football matches.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

can you explain why you current problem is with us signing good players who are British nationality and not signing foreign players?

Welcome back!

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I explain? We only seem to get linked with players that we have previously had on loan. It hardly takes any work from scouts.

Why should we not be looking at some foreign players? Frankly your comment has a nasty undertone. What is wrong with foreign players? They can be extremely good value and better than players who cost a premium like Brereton.

”My current problem”. That didn’t take long, did it Chris? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

1.Has anyone even mentioned the Charlton game in months and months? You are over exaggerating the fall out of seeing a potential league title as unimportant, in comparison to the praise and unified backing he received on promotion. The Charlton game was only such a big deal because he had implied in the week that basically he wasnt arsed about a league title. We had 2 more games to push through, and a very realistic chance of a title. To see that as unimportant is a pretty big deal. That being said, it was forgotten about soon after, we had a full house on for the Oxford celebrations and it was praise from there on in. No one has said they would swap the title for struggles this year. If you see a potential league title as unimportant, then thats up to you and fair enough. It is a big deal to some. It doesnt mean that people havent praised or dont appreciate a bloody promotion!

3. I am more referring to fans on here, not to Mowbray and the team.

4. I agree that centre back is not first priority to be honest. I think a left back and a winger are bigger priorities.

My views on the Chapman deal are as I have said before, I think its an unimaginative one, and one we should have avoided based on his injury issues. But there has to be an element of excitement because he is undoubtedly talented.

I dont get loaning him out at all though. We need a winger. Does a fit Harry Chapman get into our 18 man squad? Certainly. Would he be possibly the first name to be brought on off the bench if he didnt start? Yes. So why loan him out, rather than Brereton for example, who hasnt offered a threat off the bench, perhaps wouldnt get into the 18, and is in need of a pick me up?

1. @Stuart and yesterday.

Title wasn’t unimportant but promotion was completely the priority.

2. The two loanee centrehalves at Bury/Doncaster can be recalled surely? Perhaps the worry about depth and our current “converted midfielders” is needless?

Just now, Biz said:

We were already promoted.

The club made a big deal of that Charlton game - even opening up the big screen and concourse. The Mowbray picked a team to surrender. There is no defence of what he did so please don’t try to dismiss it.

Just now, Biz said:

2. The two loanee centrehalves at Bury/Doncaster can be recalled surely? Perhaps the worry about depth and our current “converted midfielders” is needless?

Once promotion was confirmed at Doncaster, it had to be the only priority. At that point, promotion was already secured. It is not dismissing the achievement of promotion to be aggravated to disregard the importance of a league title.

I dont believe you can recall loans out of the parameters of the transfer window but may be wrong.

Do you agree or disagree with loaning out Chapman?

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Can I explain? We only seem to get linked with players that we have previously had on loan. It hardly takes any work from scouts.

Why should we not be looking at some foreign players? Frankly your comment has a nasty undertone. What is wrong with foreign players? They can be extremely good value and better than players who cost a premium like Brereton.

They are doing pretty well to have scouted our current team though. Travis and Reed in particular. Great scouting there. Bell looking impressive too

You are getting your knickers in a twist about us being linked with certain names we have heard before. Well, we heard them before and they ain't here, so... Maybe it's just rumours. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Welcome back to the messageboard.

I sense an inconsistency in your comments about Chapman compared to Brereton, done perhaps to fall in line with Mowbrays exact suggestion on what he will do.

Brereton has been the very definition of a bit part player here. If Chapman was fit he would be in the 18 every time, above Brereton in terms of someone who could improve us. So why keep Brereton collecting dust on the bench (at best) and loan out a player who has shown far more in a Rovers shirt to suggest he can give us something different and offer a real threat?

Regarding scouting, I suspect @Stuart shares the same mindset of me, in that Chapman and Gallagher would be very unimaginative signings, solely based on knowing them based on previous mixed spells at the club in the past, there has to be better out there than a striker who is not a focal point in attack so will no doubt be put wide, and an injury prone winger the manager doesnt trust to start football matches.

Chapman hasn't played much a Boro this season and I feel he would get more from playing every week for a club at league 1 where as with Brereton I feel would benefit from learning from Graham and Mowbray's coaching as much as playing regular. 

on regarding the potential signings of Chapman and Gallagher I see them as sensible and low risk with both players being here before and Mowbray knows them than some signings that we don't know. Yes going forward we need to be better and looking for bargains and value for money. and No I don't believe or feel that Mowbray has been burnt by Brereton cost either

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I wasn't having a go Stuart but asking a very simple question, I haven't come on here to have a go and you know that. 

I like the fact we have a British nationality and the players we are looking at and the age of the squad which will only improve season on season. 

There is no doubt that they are some good foreign players out there but we have to make sure that they fit within our squad morale and the values of the club, players and Mowbray, and coming here for the right reasons. Also agree with your point about cost. 

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I wasn't having a go Stuart but asking a very simple question, I haven't come on here to have a go and you know that. 

I like the fact we have a British nationality and the players we are looking at and the age of the squad which will only improve season on season. 

There is no doubt that they are some good foreign players out there but we have to make sure that they fit within our squad morale and the values of the club, players and Mowbray, and coming here for the right reasons. Also agree with your point about cost. 

We shouldn’t limit our scouting to only picking up young British/Irish players. There is a big world out there - even post Brexit and we don’t even appear to be trying.

Side note: wonder if when we eventually loan out or cut our losses on Brereton will that be our very own Brexit? :D Or maybe a Brerexit!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Our scouts seriously need letting go.

Do we even have any? :unsure:

Yes. Wasn't there some guy playing down the road at Fleetwood that then went on to win The Premier league title and play in a World Cup Finals tournament?

Sometimes I wonder whether they just look at montages on YouTube.

Just now, Stuart said:

We shouldn’t limit our scouting to only picking up young British/Irish players. There is a big world out there - even post Brexit and we don’t even appear to be trying.

Side note: wonder if when we eventually loan out or cut our losses on Brereton will that be our very own Brexit? :D Or maybe a Brerexit!

I agree but we have scouted these long term. 

but we seem to been young foreign players at the minute so there is some sort of foreign scouting system in place. 

I expecting him to be hit at Rovers but Mowbray is picking players on form and not price tag like Nuttall over Brereton

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We were already promoted.

The club made a big deal of that Charlton game - even opening up the big screen and concourse. The Mowbray picked a team to surrender. There is no defence of what he did so please don’t try to dismiss it.

The only thing about Charlton was our luck ran out when it didn't matter.

We could easily have drawn if not won that game on the balance of chances.

Just now, philipl said:

The only thing about Charlton was our luck ran out when it didn't matter.

We could easily have drawn if not won that game on the balance of chances.

That game was lost went the teams were announced, Phil.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray didn't say he didn't want foreign players. He said he didn't want them this January because it might take them a while to bed in so they might as well come in summer.

Whats the difference though?

They have to come in at some point and it seems we aint picking up anyone this window...so why not pick up players now for next season if it takes so long to get up to speed.

Edited by JacknOry

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Whats the difference though?

They have to come in at some point and it seems we aint picking up anyone this window...so why not pick up players now for next season if it takes so long to get up to speed.

I have no idea. I'm just correcting a misconception about what was said. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That game was lost went the teams were announced, Phil.

Not, really. We only lost by a goal and had chances to win it. 

I will admit that if we played our first choice 11 we would have probably won and if we really needed to win the game we should have. 

Look anyway, we all now know it was part of Mowbrays long plan for this season...