BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

• Backroom
Just now, Kamy100 said:

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available

Impressive if he has that level of support from them, especially considering how poor the Brereton transfer has been for us thus far. 

Definitely feels like it'll end up being Gallagher, probably loan-to-buy. Not sure that'll be a massive upgrade on what we already have - and he strikes me as another 'nice lad' who just gets along with everybody. Still, Tony's earned the right at this point to choose who he wants to buy without being questioned over it. Can't really argue with our league position no matter how people feel about performances, tactics, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I am sure that the owners have been made aware that these players are available but the big question is how desperate is Mowbray to sign them given the levels of finance involved and him being big on thoroughly looking at a players background to try and ensure as much as possible that he will fit into the culture within the squad that he has built.

I am sure that if TM was desperate to sign them and approached the owners there is a very good chance they would make finance available but I am not convinced that he is desperate to sign them and has continued to focus on getting Gallagher.

This all sounds very similar to August transfer window, get ready for an expensive panic buy tomorrow.

Just now, DE. said:

Impressive if he has that level of support from them, especially considering how poor the Brereton transfer has been for us thus far. 

Ha ha he has credit in the bank by turning the Dack investing of £700,000 into a possible £20 million plus return!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Adams played on the wing when Gallagher under a shocking poor manager. 

Since Monk gone there he has played up front for them and scored goals

Gallagher played under 3 different managers at Birmingham last season - Redknapp, Cotterill, Monk

• Backroom
Just now, Kamy100 said:

Ha ha he has credit in the bank by turning the Dack investing of £700,000 into a possible £20 million plus return!!

Indeed. Probably the best piece of transfer business in terms of both performances and value since they arrived. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nixon tweeted that the interest in Austin is real, but loan to buy for Gallagher is the preferred option. Said we would pay half of Austin's wages. 

He's on £55k there, so we are willing to pay £22.5K then. Usually the loan salaries are paid up to end of June, which is officially end of the season (I think), so would be an outlay of £360,000.

Edited by AAK

Tread carefully with Austin. Won't be cheap, doubt he's a long term solution for us, very dodgy injury record and he's a dingle.

Players have to be exceptional to overcome the dingle hurdle in my book, not sure if he's worth it.

1 minute ago, AAK said:

He's on £55k there, so we are willing to pay £22.5K then. Usually the loan salaries are paid up to end of June, which is officially end of the season (I think), so would be an outlay of £360,000.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

Dope, yes my bad. So a total outlay of £440k, nearly half a million for 4 months for an injury prone player, maybe not the best bit of business.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Tread carefully with Austin. Won't be cheap, doubt he's a long term solution for us, very dodgy injury record and he's a dingle.

Players have to be exceptional to overcome the dingle hurdle in my book, not sure if he's worth it.

31 in 54 at Swindon.

41 in 82 at Burnley.

45 in 82 at QPR, including in the prem.

16 in 59 at Southampton.

29 years old. 

But lets not sign him cos he's a 'dingle' despite being from the South East. Christ almighty.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

31 in 54 at Swindon.

41 in 82 at Burnley.

45 in 82 at QPR, including in the prem.

16 in 59 at Southampton.

29 years old. 

But lets not sign him cos he's a 'dingle' despite being from the South East. Christ almighty.

He is a dingle. Doesn't matter if he's from the South East or Zanzibar if he's played for them he's a dingle and that should be a factor when considering whether to sign him, IMO. Perhaps not a deal breaker but as I said I'd tread carefully considering his age and injury record, his dingle past is just another problem. He'd be here for a few months and then off elsewhere leaving us picking up again where we are now. Option/agreement to buy very important as far as I am concerned, if nothing else to maintain the image that we're actually building something here and not just making it up as we go along depending on who comes available and the whim of those upstairs.

• Backroom

Gallagher would be a good signing in my book, as the heir apparent to Danny Graham. A striker of CA or BA calibre would be a huge bonus, but I’d rather secure Gallagher if I’m honest.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

He is a dingle. Doesn't matter if he's from the South East or Zanzibar if he's played for them he's a dingle and that should be a factor when considering whether to sign him, IMO. Perhaps not a deal breaker but as I said I'd tread carefully considering his age and injury record, his dingle past is just another problem. He'd be here for a few months and then off elsewhere leaving us picking up again where we are now. Option/agreement to buy very important as far as I am concerned, if nothing else to maintain the image that we're actually building something here and not just making it up as we go along depending on who comes available and the whim of those upstairs.

This window shouldn't be about building for the future in my opinion.

Lets go out and get the firepower needed to get us into the playoffs and re-address in summer. I don't mind treating this specific window with a short term vision with the potential rewards being as great as they are.

But at the same time i wouldn't be disappointed signing Gallagher on a loan to buy at all. So it's a weird one. If we don't commit one way or the other soon we could end up with nobody.

Edited by Mellor Rover

• Backroom

This window shouldn't be about building for the future in my opinion.

Lets go out and get the firepower needed to get us into the playoffs and re-address in summer. I don't mind treating this specific window with a short term vision with the potential rewards being as great as they are.

I agree, the Championship is a bloody hard division to get out of. We have a real opportunity now to reach the play-offs, we should be doing everything we possibly can to get there, especially as we have already got a lot of the bigger games out of the way. 

I'd take Gallagher in a heartbeat, but is he the man to propel us into the playoffs this season? I'm not sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I would agree with you. Our recent signings, Reed aside , have all been brought in as long term Rovers players. Austin would break wage structure and he was a full blown dingle, a successful dingle at that. I have read he has a bad attitude too I remember, but I take that with a pinch of salt as it is subjective and some managers rub players up the wrong way and vice versa. 

That being said, if he scored a brace on his debut and we won. I am sure we could all move forward. It's just if he doesn't do well.... then again he has shown he can be absolute quality at this level. It's a tricky one

Who was the last ex dingle to be forgiven for their sins here? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

My striker preferences would be

1) BA permanent. Failing that a loan.

2) CA Loan

3) SG as a stop gap Loan (He ain't good enough to push us on in the long run imo)

4) SG permanent

5) Nobody.

Suspect it will be either 4 or 5 by the end of tomorrow leaving me feeling completely underwhelmed given the other names we were linked with.

• Like 1

Nixon's latest tweet:

SOUTHAMPTON. Bit of a dilemma. Trying to move out Austin. Meanwhile FOREST and SWANSEA make surprise loan requests for Gallagher.

Is this the point where we end up with Mitch Candlin back on loan...

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who was the last ex dingle to be forgiven for their sins here? 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14231038.in-pictures-footballers-who-have-played-for-rovers-and-clarets/

Historical dominance would usually mean its them signing our cast offs not the other way round...

They had Bradley Orr and Shane Duffy before us which I wasn’t aware of - the less said about that the better.

• Like 2

Nixon's latest tweet:

SOUTHAMPTON. Bit of a dilemma. Trying to move out Austin. Meanwhile FOREST and SWANSEA make surprise loan requests for Gallagher.

Is this the point where we end up with Mitch Candlin back on loan...

This is the point once again where we realise we’ll end up having a quiet deadline day........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You can see the whole pitch rather than the select area where the camera is focused. Why do managers like to scout players in person if its just as good to watch on tv?

You can generally see a decent spread of the pitch on tv, where the play is. You miss the occasional bit of off the ball, but it's pretty minor all things considered. Personally (and this may just be me and my eyesight even with glasses or lenses) I find it easier to tell who everyone is on tv. There are also replays (not always on ifollow though).

Why do scouts and managers also do a lot of scouting from recordings these days if tv footage doesn't give you a good sense of things?

Lambasting people's opinions because they saw it on tv instead of in the flesh is weird. I can only think it's born of a hatred for fans seen as armchair rather than getting down to the game rather than any real logic.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2