BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

• Backroom
Just now, Miller11 said:

Give Balaji a bell...

”Alright Balaji, Britt here. I’ve got your number of Harry... Harry Chapman, and I’m desperate to sign for Rovers!”

It'd probably work after last time! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Its a notion you’ve dreamed up in your head Biz. I don’t think for a minute that it’s a smokescreen and I think you’re really stretching to suggest I’ve implied this. It was a bit of a dig at some of our more deluded fans... the ones who say things like “we are better off now than when Venkys took over”... the ones who reimagine history.

So all the other scandalmongering I do? Seeing as I do it whatever the discussion?

I do doubt Gallaghers potential.

With our finances in as much of a mess as they are, I’d like to see them punt 15 million in an attempt to get us promoted this year. I’m fully aware this may or may not pay off. If they are willing to spunk big money on the likes of Brereton, there is clearly situations in which they will loosen the purse strings and increase the financial burden further. The rewards of promotion far outstrip any “long term investment” on players.

The viewpoint you are belittling (that we tried but couldn’t compete) is probably the case for 9 out of 10 clubs in most windows, but you’re dressing it up as an excuse.

The excuse then becomes a fiction (normally one of BRFCS’s favourite “monopoliser of untruths”)  that these stories have been fed to fans to create false hope, to bring round to the idea that they want to instantly return to the premier league without ever having that intention - hence “scandalmongery”.

On the other hand, You'd like to see them pump in (remember they lend, not give) the equivalent of 150% of our turnover for last year to attempt instant promotion(on one player I may add if you’re talking BA)?... and you are concerned about our finances?

In my opinion; Our finances are exactly how they are, from trying to buy our way out this league, albeit with a snake in the dugout.

I prefer to see the club put its money into players that aren’t going to break the wage bill and will get better. Assombalonga would be something outrageous, but it’s not a guarantee, nothing is. 

Putting in the building blocks in firmly, and developing the club, squad, ethos and everything else is the nearest you’ll get to guaranteeing success. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Born there means definite pure bread Dingle

A senior appearance while there on a permanent contract is next

Then someone who makes an appearance while on loan is the least serious offence

I wouldn't count anyone else 

Gonna find a lot of “pure bread [sic] dingles” down Ewood in a few years after the proper maternity ward shut down.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
49 minutes ago, Biz said:

This; "but in 6 months these last couple of days being reimagined as a valiant battle against all odds by Steve Waggott to get the deal over the line... I can hear it now when we are no further on... “You can’t knock Venky’s. We tried to sign Assombalonga in January, and he got Boro/Derby/Bristol city promoted!” 

The notion that this is simply a smokescreen to avoid criticism down the line is utterly embarrassing. Plus - I don't ever recall asking you to be grateful? I simply stated your expectations are ridiculous, especially when you are a huge Rao cynic (like many of us). The finance situation at the club isn't going to be improved by lumping loads more above turnover on a marquee signing either, especially since it guarantees nothing and this league is as competitive as any in Europe. There are 12 teams aiming for three spots.

Looking at the last few years and simply expecting better than someone of SG's ilk is an oxymoron in itself. Nothing wrong with not rating a player, you know I'd sooner us look to sign someone cheaper but Gallagher undoubtedly has unfound potential.

As for the last two comments - does moderation only happen when its targeted at you @K-Hod or what? :)

I hid them over an hour ago, you'd obviously quoted them too quickly! Which is most unlike you, to be fair!

Edited by K-Hod

followed Gallaghers career after watching a youth cup game and he scored an absolute screamer at Ewood, thought he was head and shoulders above the other lads his age. Thought he done well here last time bar a moment of lost concentration v Preston. Would be more than happy to have him back, and if so on a perm. Don’t know why the negativity around him personally. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because Southampton don't want to let him go. I have seen many, many clubs linked with him 

I might be wrong here but I don't  think he's started a game for them this season so why would they not want to let him go?

The lad's 23 and has a goal record of about 1 in 6.  He's not pulled any trees up wherever he's been.

In my opinion, he's not developing as you would expect a young talent to and is just another expensive mistake waiting to happen. 

IMO, there is much better value out there and we can do better, much better.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Give it rest Mercer. You dont have a clue.

You say that but Mowbray signed a new long term contract during our bad spell. Shows what the owners think of Mowbray and that he is the best manager they had during their spell at the club. 

Welcome back Chaddy - have you been travelling Europe studying football?

Haven't a clue?  Been saying since I first saw Brereton that I thought we'd signed an expensive dud and it looks like I could well be right.

Don't give a monkeys about what our owners think about Mowbray.  Their record in appointing Rovers' managers is, in my opinion, flawed in the extreme.

7 minutes ago, Biz said:

The viewpoint you are belittling (that we tried but couldn’t compete) is probably the case for 9 out of 10 clubs in most windows, but you’re dressing it up as an excuse.

The excuse then becomes a fiction (normally one of BRFCS’s favourite “monopoliser of untruths”)  that these stories have been fed to fans to create false hope, to bring round to the idea that they want to instantly return to the premier league without ever having that intention - hence “scandalmongery”.

“Monopoliser of untruths”, “Scandalmongery”... Jesus Christ! I made a jibe, quite clearly directed (I thought) at the Venky apologists. If you want to throw around terms like those, here’s one for you... “paranoid delusions”!

19 minutes ago, Biz said:

On the other hand, You'd like to see them pump in (remember they lend, not give) the equivalent of 150% of our turnover for last year to attempt instant promotion(on one player I may add if you’re talking BA)?... and you are concerned about our finances?

On the other hand, I’d like to see them increase the level of debt to them in the form of share capital by about 8% to have a real go at putting us on even financial footing for the first time since about 6 months after they took over. In the grand scheme of things it’s relatively low risk, massively high reward. Of course I’m concerned about our finances (which are fucked either way) but this to me represents a pretty decent gamble. Better than any they have made so far.

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I might be wrong here but I don't  think he's started a game for them this season so why would they not want to let him go?

The lad's 23 and has a goal record of about 1 in 6.  He's not pulled any trees up wherever he's been.

In my opinion, he's not developing as you would expect a young talent to and is just another expensive mistake waiting to happen. 

Like who? 

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Gallagher was on bench ahead of Austin. 

Much better value out there? Like who?

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Welcome back Chaddy - have you been travelling Europe studying football?

Haven't a clue?  Been saying since I first saw Brereton that I thought we'd signed an expensive dud and it looks like I could well be right.

Don't give a monkeys about what our owners think about Mowbray.  Their record in appointing Rovers' managers is, in my opinion, flawed in the extreme.

No ive been spending time watching football and with family and friends. Plus enjoying my new job.

Could be right? Mowbray always said he will give him time and patience. Plus his goals and playing England youth teams shows and his performance against Arsenal in Cup shows there is a player there. 

Mowbray has been the best thing to happen to Rovers in years. Since Mark Hughes days..

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

'West Brom have made an approach to Newcastle to take Jacob Murphy on loan until the end of the season, according to Sky sources.'

I know they'll likely be able to offer more wages but I'd like to think TM could have a word in his ear if he is available on loan.

Yeah that's annoying, he would be brilliant for us.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Like who? 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher was on bench ahead of Austin. 

Much better value out there? Like who?

Norwich signed Pukki on a free.

Brentford signed Maupay for about £1.5million

Sheff U signed Adams from non league for not much more than a box of crisps and then Brum paid about £2million for him

Rovers signed Brereton for £7million+ !?!?!?

I think the talent and potential is out there but clearly, in my opinion, Rovers' recruitment strategy / policy / execution is seriously flawed.

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sheff U signed Adams from non league for not much more than a box of crisps and then Brum paid about £2million for him

I think the talent and potential is out there but clearly, in my opinion, Rovers' recruitment strategy / policy / execution is seriously flawed.

Ain't hindsight great. All of them would be expensive now.

Dack and Armstrong have done ok? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ain't hindsight great. All of them would be expensive now.

Dack and Armstrong have done ok? 

You miss the point.

Other clubs find them!!!

Yep Dack is Mowbray's diamond signing and full credit.  Armstrong has done better over last game or two - let's see if he maintains it.

Then there's the likes of Brereton, Hart, Galdwin etc

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

And our starting XI against Hull was:

Raya - Free

Bennett - Like 400k?

Mulgrew and Lenihan - Free

Bell - 300k

Travis - Free

Reed - Loan

Evans - 500k

Armstrong - 1.5 mil

Dack - 750k

Graham - ??

We need players to come in and improve the team now, in the short term, and these players cost.

• Backroom

It feels like this window totally ignores the signing of Brereton

That probably tells you all you need to know about The managers view of him right now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You miss the point.

Other clubs find them!!!

Yep Dack is Mowbray's diamond signing and full credit.  Armstrong has done better over last game or two - let's see if he maintains it.

Then there's the likes of Brereton, Hart, Galdwin etc

For every one of the players you mentioned, there are 20 duds. It's easy to pick the good ones in hindsight. 

Mowbarys signings have been far more good than bad. Dack alone makes up for the bad ones. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Was Dack a misnomer then? And Armstrong? Rodwell? Rothwell? Reed?

To make such a sweeping statement that our recruitment strategy is flawed is naive at best. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

And our starting XI against Hull was:

Raya - Free

Bennett - Like 400k?

Mulgrew and Lenihan - Free

Bell - 300k

Travis - Free

Reed - Loan

Evans - 500k

Armstrong - 1.5 mil

Dack - 750k

Graham - ??

We need players to come in and improve the team now, in the short term, and these players cost.

Our league position is quite an achievement when you look at how much that starting 11 cost...

33 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

“Monopoliser of untruths”, “Scandalmongery”... Jesus Christ! I made a jibe, quite clearly directed (I thought) at the Venky apologists. If you want to throw around terms like those, here’s one for you... “paranoid delusions”!

Paranoid delusions are exactly how I’d describe many assertions about our clubs dealings over the years. It seems that not believing them all makes me a “Rao” apologist.

As for the actual strategy you’re suggesting, fair enough if you want an instant attempt, but can I remind you that this has been tried before, by us and others. It’s the scenario that comes if we aren’t promoted that you’re ignoring here - if we are selling players like we did prior to relegation in 12 months to “avoid ffp” or “curtail costs” then I’d be mortified. 

Develop a squad that’s always improving, sensibly investing the money we can in more potential future stars for the fringes of the squad and grade 1 academy, improve and develop them, and when the big money bids come for players (remember what happens to transfer fees when opposition know you need to cut back) it will be enough to replace with some quality. (w/o more borrowed owners cash - which is exactly the financial problem, owing THEM!)

On the original post, maybe stick to taking the mick out of Balaji and not the fans.

If you’re going to slag fans off, maybe stick to those who cba watching the team. Who are these venky apologists anyway? 

Come on @MCMC1875 how does supporting my club make me apologise for owners that I clearly despise? Pointless bland insult.

6 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

To make such a sweeping statement that our recruitment strategy is flawed is naive at best. 

Careful now, you’ve not jumped to the immediate negative conclusion, bland banal insults await.

2 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Dack has proved an excellent signing so far - full credit to Mowbray.

Until the last couple of games or so, Armstrong has been given some stick on this MB - let's see if he maintains his promise/form.  Rodwell - think jury still out on him.  Rothwell - I like the lad, a bit of spark but so far, failed to nail down a starting place.  Reed, a good player - only wish he WAS our player instead of a loanee.

Unless I've missed something, we don't seriously scout Europe.  Yep, there are duds there. we know by experience.  Conversely, if you have an effective scouting set-up and the appropriate footballing people making the decisions, then there are bargains to be had as evidenced by Pukki and Maupay.  Seemingly, we are disregarding a huge market and for a club with supposedly PL ambitions, that's a flawed approach in my book.

• Like 1