BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I suppose it will depend on if he can help keep them up.  If he does then it will be well worth it if it means another season of Premier League money flooding in.

Sorry PB selling a decent striker for 7m plus add ons to a team from a lower division then replacing him with a 38 year old is absolutely desperate no matter how you try to dress it up.

Long may it last!

• Like 2

Just now, roverandout said:

Thats rovers all over..not much ambition. Its spread to a lot of supporters too

Nail on head post. A lot of fans seem to think that our better players will be here next year especially Dack and Reed. It was exactly the same under bowyer. Get into a good position then rest on it in the "hope" of kicking on.

Look at the teams who could come down and then the teams who may not get up. We could be fighting even more larger teams next year. 

A key signing now can and probably will push us into 6th position. It's not just the quality that's brought in but the message sent. Boosting our players confidence and scaring a few teams in and around us.

Buy a bloody striker. I'll be waiting for the usual stop being negative reaction though.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

So after dismissing Austin due to being injury prone and Gallagher for his poor goal record  Rovers fans have since recommended Hogan, Gestede and Bonatini.

Hogan: 33 games in 3 years

Gestede: 37 starts in 3 and a half years

Bonatini: No goals in last 30 games.

Did not recommend Bonatini, was just to show that other Championship clubs are looking for strikers today as well.

Edited by Swanson

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Makes sense, they are obviously desperate for a striker now.

Surely Southampton can't let him go to a team on the same points/just below them?

10 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If the player we wanted is not available then there is little point in spending money just for the sake of it.  We've been down that road before.  Since Mowbray and Waggot only deal with Mr. and Mrs. Desai, according to what we've been told, there seems to be a far more sensible approach to transfer activities - although obviously the jury is still out on Brereton.  Personally, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see out the season with what we have already.  Although I'd loved to be proved wrong I honestly don't see us as serious promotion candidates nor have I ever thought we would go down.  

Yes but situations change as the season goes on. As there is an outside chance of sneaking into the play offs, ideally we should be doing everything we can to maximise the opportunity. The fact we might not have thought we'd be in this position at the start of the season is irrelevant.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Nail on head post. A lot of fans seem to think that our better players will be here next year especially Dack and Reed. It was exactly the same under bowyer. Get into a good position then rest on it in the "hope" of kicking on.

Look at the teams who could come down and then the teams who may not get up. We could be fighting even more larger teams next year. 

A key signing now can and probably will push us into 6th position. It's not just the quality that's brought in but the message sent. Boosting our players confidence and scaring a few teams in and around us.

Buy a bloody striker. I'll be waiting for the usual stop being negative reaction though.

So Huddersfield, Fulham, possibly the Dingles, Cardiff are all bigger than Leeds, Sheffield Utd, Derby,?

Right o

• Like 2

I think I might be the only one wanting Sam Gallagher as first choice permenant signing. Just think he will integrate into the side quicker and is lower risk. I'd be happy to take a punt on the bigger names on loan but I think its risky chucking loads of money at those types of players in the championship. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

I personally don’t think going from league 1 to the premier league in 2 seasons is “ambitious” I think it’s flipping hopeful at best, and downright ridiculous at worst.

By the same token, some fans said Dack would be gone last summer too, and a few of those who are looking to stick the oar in “a lack of ambition” for only adding Chapman wanted rid of Mowbray a month ago..

It’s up to you if you want to complain and moan if we don’t sign a striker or get promoted though. Have a blast.

• Like 1

Despite his age, Crouch nearly transformed the game against us at their gaff, caused mad panic amongst the defence and they pumped balls up to him. Perfect for the Dyche criteria, albeit up against better defenders in the prem. 

• Like 1

If we don't bring anyone in it shows one of two things. Either that we don't have the ambition to make a push on the top 6 or that the budget was blown on Brereton and there is no money left. Either way its disappointing as we have needed another striker since the summer.

• Like 3

Just now, Neal said:

I think I might be the only one wanting Sam Gallagher as first choice permenant signing. Just think he will integrate into the side quicker and is lower risk. I'd be happy to take a punt on the bigger names on loan but I think its risky chucking loads of money at those types of players in the championship. 

Nope, he’s right up our street. Already knows many of the squad, young, a position we want and has had some level of unfound potential to develop.

I wouldn’t be very happy to sign Gallagher, ecstatic on a permanent.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes but situations change as the season goes on. As there is an outside chance of sneaking into the play offs, ideally we should be doing everything we can to maximise the opportunity. The fact we might not have thought we'd be in this position at the start of the season is irrelevant.

It still comes down to the player or players you want being available and then being available at a price/wage that is within your structure.  If they aren't available or beyond your financial means then it's just wishful thinking.   Gallagher on loan seems to be a realistic possibility but if Southampton say he is not available then there is little we can do.  I would have been happy with Austin but the lure of the Premier League will obviously beat offers from Championship clubs.  It's rather like Reed, who I would love to sign but can understand why the lad wants to go back to Southampton in the Summer to see if he can break into their team before committing himself to moving on.

11 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Although I'd loved to be proved wrong I honestly don't see us as serious promotion candidates nor have I ever thought we would go down.  

I don't think we are promotion candidates at the moment but we are surely play off candidates.  For me, it's not about getting the goals for the rest of the season, it's not letting them in.  I'd invest today in a good championship defender like Grant and I'd get Joe Hart on loan and put them both straight in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neal said:

I think you are spot on tbh. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

If we don't bring anyone in it shows one of two things. Either that we don't have the ambition to make a push on the top 6 or that the budget was blown on Brereton and there is no money left. Either way its disappointing as we have needed another striker since the summer.

Wrong Ewood Ace. 

Or its shows that we wont over paid for players and rightly so. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

So what does that mean? The window has been a failure? If we tried then that suggests we wanted to bring one or more people in, no success suggests we were unable to achieve what we wanted.

No I didnt say that..

We try to sign a striker but unable to get our 1st choice strikers. No point signing we didnt want

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Or 3) The right player wasn't available at the right deal - fee + wages

And whilst some of the money that may go toward a fee went on Brereton, I suspect it is the wages that is the actual stumbling block for us in regard to BA and Austin and there is no way that Brereton is earning anything like what we would need to spend on those players

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I suppose it will depend on if he can help keep them up.  If he does then it will be well worth it if it means another season of Premier League money flooding in.

If the player we wanted is not available then there is little point in spending money just for the sake of it.  We've been down that road before.  Since Mowbray and Waggot only deal with Mr. and Mrs. Desai, according to what we've been told, there seems to be a far more sensible approach to transfer activities - although obviously the jury is still out on Brereton.  Personally, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see out the season with what we have already.  Although I'd loved to be proved wrong I honestly don't see us as serious promotion candidates nor have I ever thought we would go down.  

I agree we shouldn't be spending for the sake of it. I would, however, hope that Mowbray has a list of targets and not just his one favourite and nothing else will do. Realistically as a Championship club we can't really afford to be so picky and fussy about our recruitment. We need a range of options to work through should 1st or 2nd choice players not be possible. There's only a handful of clubs in the world in the luxurious position of being able to go for number 1 and not look at anyone else.

I agree that the need is arguably less urgent than it has been in previous years, including last season when we had a top 2 slot to secure and failure would have been catastrophic. Now we're in the relatively comfortable position of being almost safe in January with no serious pressure over the coming months and anywhere up from 12th would represent a good season. However, I would hope, given the good run we're on and the position we're in and the attractive looking fixtures we've got to come that there is the option of pushing the boat out a bit and trying to make something big happen. Promotion is unlikely and unexpected but it is possible and sometimes the fine margins such as an extra goalscorer could make a massive difference over the next 17 games.

IF (touch wood it doesn't) Graham loses form or sustains an injury in the coming 17 games then we'll be in a pickle if we don't have someone else in the building. I don't particularly rate Nuttall and certainly don't think he is good enough to be leading the line in the Championship, and Brereton arguably even less so.

Edited by JHRover

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong Ewood Ace. 

Or its shows that we wont over paid for players and rightly so. 

You state your opinion as if it were fact. If your comment was right then how do you explain Brereton whatever the price we have clearly overpaid on a 4th choice striker/ 6th choice winger?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Nailed it.

I'd guess no one at the club wants us to get into the top 6, Mowbray certainly isn't ambitious. Or Waggott. And our dreadful owners certainly wouldn't want the guaranteed payday of the PL either. No ambition anywhere. I guess getting promoted out of League 1 last year must have been a mistake. And being 3 points of play-offs with 1/3 of the season left. Someone needs to remind them all of their lack of ambition. 

And you'd obviously know our total budget because you work at the club?

Nailed. It.

• Like 3