BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't think we are promotion candidates at the moment but we are surely play off candidates.  For me, it's not about getting the goals for the rest of the season, it's not letting them in.  I'd invest today in a good championship defender like Grant and I'd get Joe Hart on loan and put them both straight in.

I was with you for a moment there until you said Joe Hart. I keep telling you, it's not April 1st yet!

Just now, roverandout said:

Option 4 its naivety on mowbray's part thinking just because rovers are on a decent run theres no need to strenghten. Until graham or dack get long term injuries.

Option 5 he wants to save the money for our second installment of Brereton's transfer fee rumoured to be around 46 million.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Was he out of position?

I thought I  remembered he played the whole season up front until Mowbray came in and shunted him into a "wide forward" role.

That does sound like TM tbh... Sign a strapping big centre forward... Stick him out wide ??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Your forgetting teams like Southampton, Crystal palace, Newcastle and Brighton? All within a few points of the drop zone.

All the teams mentioned will have more money to spend as well. Your also gambling on the owners being interested next year. Don't be fooled twice it's happened before.

Southampton did it a good number of years ago? In the summer staying up was the aim but to stand by that and not have a good is very foolish. Football's a momentum game. Strike while your on the way up or tumble back down.

On the Dack point. Who in the premier league was really going to take a gamble on a league 1 player? Now you look now. He's in double figures for goals and also assists plenty. Why wouldn't a west ham have a gamble on him or if Fulham came down to then get them back up. 

Again. Lack of ambition for me. But you sit on your mediocrity. Seems to suit you well. 

I don't expect any of those 4.to be relegated tbh, think its the 4 I mentioned. That Imo would make the Championship weaker not stronger next season. 

Anybody heard of this chap we were apparently interested in  (obviously aprt from being a Swedish international)

Nottingham Forest having a very good day...Swedish international defender Alexander Milosevic, who Blackburn and Middlesbrough considered, is arriving along with Leon Bonatini from Wolves, having already signed Pele. And they want more...

Edited by perthblue02

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Or it shows that, as everyone said at the start of January, that it's an incredibly hard window to strengthen. 

Money is obviously available. OUR FECKING CHIEF EXECUTIVE AND MANAGER CONFIRMED THAT MONEY IS AVAILABLE AND WHAT OUR RECRUITMENT STRATEGY IS.

I don't know what more proof anyone needs.

I'm believing Mowbray and Waggott over people's brother's girlfriend's step mum's doctor who works part time as the Forest dinner lady and says that Brereton was expensive. 

But with 4/5 members of the usual 18 man squad from the Under 23s and cost nought, there seems no reason to panic. Instead go 'softly,softly' on key targets and pick them up when their current Club or the players Contract becomes vulnerable to a quick swoop. EG Chapman. After the 2010s we need organic growth.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Neal said:

I know you're not a fan but a return of 12 goals for us out of position in a team that got relegated is surely not to be sniffed at? Especially if you get him at a reasonable price. 

For someone who's 6 feet 4 inches, he isn't particularly good in the air, isn't particularly physical, isn't particularly good at holding the ball up, isnt a particularly clinical finisher and isn't particularly quick. 

Apart from that he's ok as George Best said about Beckham!

• Like 2

Just now, mhead said:

But with 4/5 members of the usual 18 man squad from the Under 23s and cost nought, there seems no reason to panic. Instead go 'softly,softly' on key targets and pick them up when their current Club or the players Contract becomes vulnerable to a quick swoop. EG Chapman. After the 2010s we need organic growth.

You mean like clubs did to us for Cairney, Hanley, Duffy etc....! Spot on.

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Anybody heard of this chap we were apparently interested in  (

Nottingham Forest having a very good day...Swedish international defender Alexander Milosevic, who Blackburn and Middlesbrough considered, is arriving along with Leon Bonatini from Wolves, having already signed Pele. And they want more...

Rule of three. No idea who was interested so quoted 2 teams around Forest in the table that are short on defenders.

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’ve no qualms with the idea about momentum and striking whilst we’ve got a good squad - but you’re mistaking (what I would describe as) a more realistic ambition for accepting mediocrity! Where have I heard that before?

As I said to Miller, most competive league in the world potentially, 12 teams minimum all still in a position to strike top six, all ambition to get the big money of the prem.

That drives cost, wages, fees up. If we broke the wage bill for someone and failed to go up - then you see the assets sold off to pay bills. Remember before?

For me, develop and add potential each window and improve the ones we have. On that, I’m not getting out my pram if we don’t buy anyone.

You can though, it’s quite hilarious.

As for Norwich and Southampton - What point does that make? Norwich hardly spent a penny and went up second in the league under Lambert and with Grant Holt upfront... I seem to recall Henri Lansbury (a loan) was key.

Southampton sold Bale, Oxlade Chamberlain and a host of others at that time - players they developed and sold for big profits funded their improvements and kept them in the prem.

The last part of your post makes no sense

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep, at his best Gestede would be far better but not sure if he's anywhere near his best these days and would probably never be out of the treatment room.

Wouldn't be overly enamoured with either. We could do with a real Steve Archibald moment to get everyone excited.

Remember it like it was yesterday.  A surreal moment in my personal Rovers' history - a signing from Barca when we really hadn't a pot to pi$$ in.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm thinking there is and has been money available all along but TM doesn't want to upset "the lads".

I'm with Tyrone S on this one.

Mowbray inferred his last gasp summer splash was to make sure he didn't lose the money.  Surely, if you've the money available and sitting just 3 points from the play offs, you give it a feckin good go. 

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

Option three there was no one available that the manager wanted.

You really think that we couldn't find anyone striker who isn't better than Nuttall (our current second choice). I like Nuttall but let's be honest he's decent at best. Gestede is available I'd say he's better than Nuttall. Sheffield United brought in Madine and Hogan, Wigan have brought in Leon Clarke any of those 3 would have improved us until the end of the season. As it stands we have a very small chance of top 6 but a 2 week or more injury to Graham and we have no chance.

Also by you saying no one is available that the manager wants you do support my view that we may not have the budget available to go and make a player become available (because we all know that any player is for sell at the right price) and the money spent on Brereton will have impacted heavily on that budget.

5 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Option 4 its naivety on mowbray's part thinking just because rovers are on a decent run theres no need to strenghten. Until graham or dack get long term injuries.

I don't know if you will remember this but it is a prime example of a better player upsetting a good formula. Man city where looking like winning the old first division (similar to Liverpool at the moment ), they brought in what was thought to be the player to guarantee them the title, (Rodney Marsh ) the team and the campaign fell apart because of the upset he allegedly caused. 

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For someone who's 6 feet 4 inches, he isn't particularly good in the air, isn't particularly physical, isn't particularly good at holding the ball up, isnt a particularly clinical finisher and isn't particularly quick. 

Apart from that he's ok as George Best said about Beckham!

And despite all that can still find the net. We're not buying the finished article remember... Else he would cost a lot more. 

Just now, rigger said:

I don't know if you will remember this but it is a prime example of a better player upsetting a good formula. Man city where looking like winning the old first division (similar to Liverpool at the moment ), they brought in what was thought to be the player to guarantee them the title, (Rodney Marsh ) the team and the campaign fell apart because of the upset he allegedly caused. 

But im sure the thousands a week they get paid will dampen their tears

I see Bacuna is going from Reading to Cardiff for £3million.

I realise we don't need him and we're never linked with him. 

So thought it'd fit right in on this thread.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

You really think that we couldn't find anyone striker who isn't better than Nuttall (our current second choice). I like Nuttall but let's be honest he's decent at best. Gestede is available I'd say he's better than Nuttall. Sheffield United brought in Madine and Hogan, Wigan have brought in Leon Clarke any of those 3 would have improved us until the end of the season. As it stands we have a very small chance of top 6 but a 2 week or more injury to Graham and we have no chance.

Also by you saying no one is available that the manager wants you do support my view that we may not have the budget available to go and make a player become available (because we all know that any player is for sell at the right price) and the money spent on Brereton will have impacted heavily on that budget.

No !

What I am saying is not a fact or an opinion, it is another option to the two you stated ( Which are not facts either).

30 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Nailed it.

I'd guess no one at the club wants us to get into the top 6, Mowbray certainly isn't ambitious. Or Waggott. And our dreadful owners certainly wouldn't want the guaranteed payday of the PL either. No ambition anywhere. I guess getting promoted out of League 1 last year must have been a mistake. And being 3 points of play-offs with 1/3 of the season left. Someone needs to remind them all of their lack of ambition. 

And you'd obviously know our total budget because you work at the club?

Nailed. It.

Utter tripe talking about no ambition there i nailed it.

Forest will be an interesting comparison to us. We're side by side in the table, mathematically we're in a better position than them to make the play-offs.

They're doing it the way many say you aren't supposed to do it - spending absolute fortunes, massive squad, eyewatering wage bill, changing managers regularly. We are the opposite - relatively stable, all the talk about the longer term, not panicking, not gambling, not spending heavily, building something up steadily.

I suppose it is testament to Mowbray and the team that we are already above them after 29 games given where we've come from and what both clubs have spent.

Moving forward it will be interesting to see which works out for the best - will it be Forest or us who goes closer to promotion. Will it all come crashing down there if they don't go up and are subsequently nailed for FFP breaches whilst we continue our steady upward movement on a sustainable footing? Or will they get up and we will be left wondering what if we'd have done the same at this point and 'gone for it'.

• Like 2

Think a few need to calm down. I don’t think anyone is coming and to be honest I don’t think bursting our summer budget in the hope we sneak into the playoffs and then get through that lottery is worth it. I think the striker links have brushed over the glaringly obvious that our defence needs strengthened more than the forward line. Wouldn’t be surprised if the left field is a defender, back in for Bauer perhaps.

i never expected us to rush the divisions, it’s about baby steps, my issue was we we playing terribly but last few weeks has been a lot better. Happy with what we have up top to see out the season comfortably, maybe blood some youngsters if the playoffs become too big a task in prep for next season. I don’t hold the belief that the division will be stronger next year, bottom 3 in prem the now look odds on and none of them scare me. I’d argue that the bottom 3 of champ are stronger than those coming up too. It’s good being a Blackburn supporter again, please take a deep breath and enjoy it. Don’t run before we can walk

• Like 1

Last year there was quite a fuss made about the new and improved Scouting Department at Rovers.

It would be a good question for Mowbray at the next FF as to what they have actually been doing with their time since being employed.