adz4d2

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

13 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

TM pretty much confirming in his press conference that we won’t be signing anyone today as the players he likes are too expensive.

He spoke of beefing up the scouting department to try and pick up some gems in Europe in the summer.

Too expensive in his opinion or has he asked for money and been turned down ?

He stated at the consultation meeting that money would be available in January and he would get backing from the owners 'if we were in or around the playoffs'

If there are players he likes and available then where's the backing ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

TM pretty much confirming in his press conference that we won’t be signing anyone today as the players he likes are too expensive.

He spoke of beefing up the scouting department to try and pick up some gems in Europe in the summer.

Thought the scouting department was supposed to running on "full steam" already?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madon said:

Right, where's my passport? I'm outta here.

Head to anywhere in mainland Europe, you'll be safe from discovery there.

Go well.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

So basically we're struggling to sign players due to a limited budget and not having the structure in place to bring in talent from overseas. We knew that before the window opened.

I really do wonder how a club with a decade long run in the Premier League, Category A academy and a long history of signing quality from Europe can have no European scouting network. Very foolish and shortsighted to end up without one whilst rivals steam ahead on recruitment. 

Sounds to me as if the whole Rovers structure behind the scenes was/is in total disaray and TM is literally having to go to each dept. and sort out himself. 

The whole lot seems to have gone to rack and ruin. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Thought the scouting department was supposed to running on "full steam" already?

Me too. Online video plus full player history/stats etc etc. The full monty.

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So basically we're struggling to sign players due to a limited budget and not having the structure in place to bring in talent from overseas. We knew that before the window opened.

I really do wonder how a club with a decade long run in the Premier League, Category A academy and a long history of signing quality from Europe can have no European scouting network. Very foolish and shortsighted to end up without one whilst rivals steam ahead on recruitment. 

As I say, it’s rank amateur. Compare us to say Bielsa’s Leeds and it’s bloody night and day (and yes I know we were promoted last season before anyone says anything). Cannot fathom a Championship side not having their scouts looking at European talent. We’re not the Dog & Duck!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Sounds to me as if the whole Rovers structure behind the scenes was/is in total disaray and TM is literally having to go to each dept. and sort out himself. 

We have had noise from Mowbray re the scouting/recruitment updating for over a year, confirmation it had been funded and then that it was all in place a couple of months ago, maybe longer.

Our list couldnt have been very big if we put all our eggs into SG and then had tentative looks at BA or CA. If we cannot afford anyone in this league then why have we not looked down a league at the very least such as Marquis who is interesting a few - surely we could afford them?

Not even any loan deals that could have been done just to ease the reliabilty on DG being fit?

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We have had noise from Mowbray re the scouting/recruitment updating for over a year, confirmation it had been funded and then that it was all in place a couple of months ago, maybe longer.

Obviously not stretching to Europe! 

Looks like TM is constantly fighting a battle with the powers that be to implement what he wants.

Can really see our lot forever cutting costs (corners ) behind the scenes. 

Edited by HowieFive0

In defence of our current squad and recruitment... They have more than sufficed for our targets to-date under Mowbray, and I quite like seeing domestic talent nurtured to create value. I think the model has worked for us, at least until now. I think our club is generally for the better because of it, and it's perhaps a phase we needed to go through - to bring us back down to grass roots and build our way up again.

Having said that, I think the horizons need to be broadened if the domestic talent that we now want is too expensive for us. I think things will change to take us to the next level for next season, although we are in a good position right now to have brought in somebody from a wider net.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

This is going to be the best damn scouting department ever seen in football.

18 months it's been in the making. Let's hope we can land a man in Europe soon.

Out means out!

It's a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Club with a limited budget wants to be able to recruit but struggles to pay the going rate for UK based players, the obvious alternative is to look overseas and yet said club can't do that because in an attempt to save cash the club has no European scouting network nor any employees with any expertise in that area. Result? It's either going for those UK players the manager familiar with or nothing, the result being that we end up paying as we did for Brereton.

Hardly surprising that we're operating on such a limited and short sighted system when the club doesn't seem to look any further than Darwen when promoting itself.

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

Out means out!

Funny init. Whilst the country is embroiled in a bitter battle to get out of Europe, we are investing a transfer windows budget trying to get in!

• Haha 1

Just now, JHRover said:

It's a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Club with a limited budget wants to be able to recruit but struggles to pay the going rate for UK based players, the obvious alternative is to look overseas and yet said club can't do that because in an attempt to save cash the club has no European scouting network nor any employees with any expertise in that area. Result? It's either going for those UK players the manager familiar with or nothing, the result being that we end up paying as we did for Brereton.

Hardly surprising that we're operating on such a limited and short sighted system when the club doesn't seem to look any further than Darwen when promoting itself.

And that's the problem TM seems to be up against. He knows and all about foreign buys ..quoting Brentfords foreign  players etc etc ..its not going to be TM not wanting to look at Europe its going to be those above not putting the money up to create a European scouting system.

I can understand no permanents if we are being quoted 10 million for players like Austin ,but why not loans? 1 striker and 1 center half 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

What Mowbray walked into was a club that was in total disarray both on and off the field.

The scouting structure was completely dismantled by Kean and then Shebby.  We lost all of our good scouts.  This is not the kind of thing that can be put together overnight, what Mowbray has focussed on was to get the domestic scouting structure right, he now has largely done that and is ready to look at our European/International scouting network.  This is not an easy undertaking.

If the players TM wants to sign our too expensive then I agree with him that it is better to wait until Summer to see what can be done, there is no point wasting the limited resources that we on players that he isn't convinced about just because they are available and are cheaper.  At the moment is looks like the money spent on Brereton was not the right deal to do but we can't change that now, however it is still early in his career with us and we just have to hope that Mowbray can help him realise the potential that he obviously seen in him.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Right someone get me @Madon's seat number.

I can go one better, I know (roughly) where he lives.....:rover:

• Haha 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Give over...

Just now, K-Hod said:

Roughly ? ..he ll be living rough when he finds his house not standing ..