BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

It always makes me laugh how everyone waits until deadline day, then rush around trying to get deals done for 11pm.

Surely if any of the strikers mentioned were serious options we could have sorted something out earlier.

?‍♀️

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Plenty on going, revisit after 11pm. Let’s put together a list of all the teams in the top half of the Championship and all their deals in January.

Bit of a shame that we won't land a striker. Could come back to bite us later in the season but let's hope not.

The stark reality is that TM needs to somehow start getting a tune out of BB. He signed him and not for peanuts either (don't). If we aren't going to be signing another striker, he's going to be getting games at some point.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray press conference

Asked Tony Mowbray if Middlesbrough striker Britt Assombalonga was a Rovers target. He said: "No. Basically because he's someone we could not afford."

How's he know the finances involved if he wasn't a target?

26 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

As cliched as it sounds Travis and Nuttall have been like new signings, Rodwell too to some extent, all have added depth to the team. 

Combine that with 4 league wins on the bounce and we're  two/three more wins off ensuring (at worst) another season in the Championship has made our January pretty successful without having to take a big financial risk in this transfer window.

30/01/18 - Rovers 3-1 Walsall - Graham 2 and Dack to go 2nd in League One.

31/01/19 - Rovers sit 3 points off the Championship playoff places...

But look at the difference between the Window last January compared to this. Armstrong, Bell, Payne and Downing on a permanent, those signings said to me we wanted promotion.  This January we have lost Palmer and Downing (not a regular but solid whenever called upon) and signed Chapman but by the managers own admission he is for the future and not anywhere near fit enough at the moment. So we are ending the month with a slightly weaker squad than we started it with, that says to me but we are happy with where we are at the moment. Which is fair enough if that is what they believe but I think it is slightly frustrating to be within sight of the play offs and not strengthening when the majority of other teams in and around the top 6 have.

As for Nuttall he's decent but as a replacement or an alternative to Graham I can't see him scoring the goals or having the all round game to keep us in touch with the top 6. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

Bit of a shame that we won't land a striker. Could come back to bite us later in the season but let's hope not.

The stark reality is that TM needs to somehow start getting a tune out of BB. He signed him and not for peanuts either (don't). If we aren't going to be signing another striker, he's going to be getting games at some point.

Yes yes yes. If we had a little slide at some point this season (and we will before the season is out) then we have to get BB firing and ready for next season. 

I back the kid to have a big future here but he needs some prolonged game time. Just needs that one of his arse or deflecting off him, one miles offside, anything at all to get him going.

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

So from Saturday night full of positivity about the squad, manager and team...

Back to squabbling and disappointment.

All because of some far fetched rumours.

@Paul Mellelieu, please ban Madon for disrupting the harmony of the board.

Wouldn't say it was squabbling, just stating the obvious. Disappointment, not sure about others, but this is Rovers, you get used to it.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Boro offer him to him and told us the numbers involved. 

Don't believe everything Mowbray says.

Said a few days ago Harry Chapman wasn't a priority of his when he spent 3 windows chasing him.

Said the same about Armstrong and we signed him 3 days later.

He was definitely a target, one which ultimately we could not afford.

5 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Plenty on going, revisit after 11pm. Let’s put together a list of all the teams in the top half of the Championship and all their deals in January.

You said players were being signed "up and down the championship" I show you that 4 transfers have been confirmed, You then move the goalpost and say "revisit after 11pm" Comical! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have gone into favorites to sign Assambolonga on Sky bet, 14/1 to 5/1 

In such a niche betting market it only takes 1-2 bets to make odds drift or come in. I wouldn't read anything into that. 

25 minutes ago, AAK said:

That's that then. Downing and Palmer out and Chapman, who won't be fit for a couple of months in. So arguably finishing the window slightly weaker. Hopefully another academy player can step up if we have injuries.

That's one way of looking at it but arguably, Travis and Nuttall leaving on loan (but for recent performances) would have weakened it...so we could be deemed as stronger (which I feel we are with Travis in the side).