adz4d2

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

£25m for Dack is dreamland.

Mowbray won’t be replacing Evans any time soon and he seems to have a loyalty to Smallwood.

Building a team with Rothwell at the heart of it doesnt look like happening any time soon.

Mowbray has done a great job under difficult circumstances and there is a danger that sentimentality will result in a repeat of the Bowyer situation.

We have some good young players - you don’t even mention the likes of Travis and other players knocking on the door, for instance.

What this club needsnow is another Souness. Hungry and demanding and willing to put some trust in players that Mowbray seems to view as fringe players. We need a mix and right now we have hard workers and hard workers with Dack the man upon whose shoulders all of the expectation is place. If he is out of form so are Rovers. A player like Rothwell is a good example. He has shown in cameos what he can offer to the team but is sidelined. Meanwhile Brereton has had similar cameos - more even but hasn’t show a great deal at all.

why is 25 million pounds for Dack dreamland? Grealish was 40 mil and Dack outshone him at Ewood Park plus has Grealish produce goals and assists like Dack at this level. 

I wouldn't be replacing Evans any time either. key part of the plan going forward. 

Rothwell should be playing so I would agree. 

No Mowbray is building a team to get us promote but we are in our 1st season after promotion and haven't the expectations level gone up massively. 

what was your season prediction before the season started? was it top 6? 

@Biz response to the Souness was spot on and yet again Stuart Football management have gone on since 2003 and lets not the mess we were in when he left us. 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

He did it pretty well at West Brom. That's the big problem with Smallwood and Evans they don't look to pass forward let alone run forward. 

very true

2 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Dack on his way in Jan? :)

#Bradvent get free Dack 23 shirt printing on all 18/19 replica shirts bought today in store and online at http://Roverstore.co.uk 

hasn't Mowbray and Waggott already said Dack isn't leaving in January?

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Watching the games and Listening to TM , it was fairly easy to work out that we would be prioritising a striker.

CF is arguably the most important position in the team the only position we dont have nearly enough cover. Every good team has ample mainline options plus cover. Whichever way you look at it the manager doesn’t trust BB to do that job yet. Armstrong and Dack have been largely ineffective in that role and so as a manager he must be petrified of Graham getting injured.

Every other position / player is open to being replaced by better quality additions and some are needed more than others but I couldn’t see past a striker two weeks ago and I still can’t.

Prediction of what they’ll do / try to do remains: 

1) Striker on loan (experience in Champ)

2) Reed - Perm

3) Chapman - loan to perm or perm

As well as BB made perm.

Can see Palmer return plus some loans for the likes of Travis and Nuttall.

Note - A fully fit Davenport will be like a new signing. Highly rated at City and now at Rovers. Played most of his competitive games in the Champ last season and could easily have a ‘Reed’ like impact. I can see Reed, Travis and Davenport being medium to long term replacements for Smallwood and and Evans in the first Xl

I agree on Davenport. 

we need a centre back in aswell. Think Bauer will sign in the 1st 2 weeks of the window

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wigan are after Madine on loan according to Nixon. We should do the same. 

Nixon mention Braithwaite from Boro on loan. I would be after him on loan. 

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's been kidnapped by the same aliens that got Gladwin. Do either of them really exist or are they just  holograms ? 

The Grella Triangle

40 minutes ago, Biz said:

I have to say, I thought football had moved on from Souness in 2003 so to hear him or his style suggested as “what this club needs” in 2018 is hilarious. 

If I was asked “what this club needs” right now, my answers wouldn’t include a change of manager. The priorities for me; the return of fans, patience in the younger players, manager and staff, and more investment from the owners in the team and academy. 

Pretty closed minded. You are only looking at the bad side of Souness and forgetting what he did with our youngsters.

Mowbray is sticking with the old guard and 6 defenders, regardless of results, and doesn’t have much faith in youth or much interest in starting an attacking team (unless it’s wing backs). Souness swept teams aside with the likes of Duff, Dunn and Jansen. With Berkovic as a playmaker.

I don’t see Mowbray changing this approach and nor do I see it being successful. Ironically you’ve asked fans to be patient with young players when one of my gripes is that Mowbray does not.

Ultimately, my priority is BRFC and not the initials on the tracksuit.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not really bothered what Mowbray or Waggott say about Dack. What does Dack say ?

well Dack is playing the best football of his career and manager who get the best out of him and Plays him to his strengths. 

Would a West Ham and Palace play him in his 10 position. Probabaly not. West Ham play 4-4-2 now and Palace play very defensive and I would say doesn't play to his strengths 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why is 25 million pounds for Dack dreamland? Grealish was 40 mil and Dack outshone him at Ewood Park plus has Grealish produce goals and assists like Dack at this level. 

I wouldn't be replacing Evans any time either. key part of the plan going forward. 

No Mowbray is building a team to get us promote but we are in our 1st season after promotion and haven't the expectations level gone up massively. 

@Biz response to the Souness was spot on and yet again Stuart Football management have gone on since 2003 and lets not the mess we were in when he left us. 

Sadly you take things very literally Chris. I’m not saying bring back Souness - I’m saying someone like him.

I must have missed where Grealish has been sold for £40m. According to transfermarkt nobody has paid a fee for him ever. You are using another dreamland transfer to justify another.

Expectations of how well we should be doing have to change with time. Much like a result can be accepted “on paper” and “I’d have taken that before the game”, I’m looking for a manager who can take opportunities. When we go 1-0 down and we bring off a striker to bring on a defender; when we play against 10 men and we don’t kick on - or even look like doing; when we are 2-0 up and coasting and we replace our striker for an experiment and lose points within minutes.

On paper, midtable will be a reasonable outcome for the season. However, when the league takes shape and we are a couple of wins off the play-offs then poor decisions will come under scrutiny. To accept mediocrity and missed opportunities because “well, nobody expected any better” is to promote mediocrity.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well Dack is playing the best football of his career and manager who get the best out of him and Plays him to his strengths. 

Would a West Ham and Palace play him in his 10 position. Probabaly not. West Ham play 4-4-2 now and Palace play very defensive and I would say doesn't play to his strengths 

Would West Ham or Palace probably double his wages? If Rovers accept an offer I think he would be off in a flash particularly if it was a London club. Isn't he also back with the bimbo?

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Sadly you take things very literally Chris. I’m not saying bring back Souness - I’m saying someone like him.

I must have missed where Grealish has been sold for £40m. According to transfermarkt nobody has paid a fee for him ever. You are using another dreamland transfer to justify another.

Expectations of how well we should be doing have to change with time. Much like a result can be accepted “on paper” and “I’d have taken that before the game”, I’m looking for a manager who can take opportunities. When we go 1-0 down and we bring off a striker to bring on a defender; when we play against 10 men and we don’t kick on - or even look like doing; when we are 2-0 up and coasting and we replace our striker for an experiment and lose points within minutes.

On paper, midtable will be a reasonable outcome for the season. However, when the league takes shape and we are a couple of wins off the play-offs then poor decisions will come under scrutiny. To accept mediocrity and missed opportunities because “well, nobody expected any better” is to promote mediocrity.

like who? why not say a manger who play players Rothwell from the start and to his strengths then?

That fee was quoted in the press for Grealish plus I think Bruce comments said the same. 

I would have taken 12 place at the start of the season very much with kicking on next season for the playoffs. similar to Sheff United way last and this seasons. 

How is 12th place medicore when we have just get promoted from league 1. Look at Wigan struggles this season apart from when we play them

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Would West Ham or Palace probably double his wages? If Rovers accept an offer I think he would be off in a flash particularly if it was a London club. Isn't he also back with the bimbo?

Yes you are right.

Yes he back with Olivia Attwood at the minute but Dack has to do what is best for his footballing career 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

like who? why not say a manger who play players Rothwell from the start and to his strengths then?

That fee was quoted in the press for Grealish plus I think Bruce comments said the same. 

I would have taken 12 place at the start of the season very much with kicking on next season for the playoffs. similar to Sheff United way last and this seasons. 

How is 12th place medicore when we have just get promoted from league 1. Look at Wigan struggles this season apart from when we play them

The thing is, I dont think ive seen anyone say our league position is not good enough. Thats not what people are questioning. 

Have I seen people question his recruitment? Yes. His team selections? Yes. Our constant throwing away of points? Yes.

Just hurling valid, constructive individual criticisms and discussion under the "yeah but we are meeting expectations in terms of our position" is totally missing the point.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Pretty closed minded. You are only looking at the bad side of Souness and forgetting what he did with our youngsters.

Mowbray is sticking with the old guard and 6 defenders, regardless of results, and doesn’t have much faith in youth or much interest in starting an attacking team (unless it’s wing backs). Souness swept teams aside with the likes of Duff, Dunn and Jansen. With Berkovic as a playmaker.

I don’t see Mowbray changing this approach and nor do I see it being successful. Ironically you’ve asked fans to be patient with young players when one of my gripes is that Mowbray does not.

Ultimately, my priority is BRFC and not the initials on the tracksuit.

You call me close minded and say I’m only looking at the bad parts of Souness, what are you doing with Mowbray? What is “being successful” in your eyes? Promotion and consolidation at first attempt is a reasonable target isn’t it?

Doesnt have faith in youth? Why have Lenihan, Nyambe and Raya all been in his team then? Also - someone with such lack of confidence in young players surely wouldn’t spend their entire budget on Brererton, Armstrong, Davenport etc. Just because you think Travis and Nuttall are ready! Close minded much?

Duff was a top level premier league player and Dunn was on his day. Even Brian Laws would’ve had us sweeping teams aside, Berkovic another “top level” player. Souness did a good job but his approach is archaic, Football has well and truly moved on. Google “Souness Dwight Yorke Training”. Chances of Mowbray signing someone then doing that? 

What you actually want from that promotion season is to be one of the top budgets in the league again, and I’m with you on that.

• Like 1

It comes down to ambition and expectations.

How can we spend £7m on one player and our expectations of that player not increase? How can our ambition for the club not increase? Yet both are being shot down. Apparently there is some master plan. I don’t see it, I just see another absolutely autonomous manager answerable to the owners and not the chief exec. Mowbray continues to dine out on his ‘proper football man’ image, a cut-price Bobby Robson. Because of this it’s entirely possible he will be here until he walks as people make excuses. As a man I think he is great, as a manager I think he is limited.

My worry with Mowbray is that he is stubbornly sticking with players that we know we need to improve on. Our performances in the Championship this season have been, by and large, awful. If you don’t move forward then you go backwards. We found out the hard way by sticking with Bowyer for too long. We are about to make the same mistake again and some fans are happy to watch it all happen again.

And I don’t need to google it, I remember it. Signing Yorke was one of the worst things Souness did. Playboy with a bad attitude and he ruined a re-born Andrew Cole in the process. I’m not surprised someone went after him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

It comes down to ambition and expectations.

How can we spend £7m on one player and our expectations of that player not increase? How can our ambition for the club not increase? Yet both are being shot down. Apparently there is some master plan. I don’t see it, I just see another absolutely autonomous manager answerable to the owners and not the chief exec. Mowbray continues to dine out on his ‘proper football man’ image, a cut-price Bobby Robson. Because of this it’s entirely possible he will be here until he walks as people make excuses. As a man I think he is great, as a manager I think he is limited.

My worry with Mowbray is that he is stubbornly sticking with players that we know we need to improve on. Our performances in the Championship this season have been, by and large, awful. If you don’t move forward then you go backwards. We found out the hard way by sticking with Bowyer for too long. We are about to make the same mistake again and some fans are happy to watch it all happen again.

And I don’t need to google it, I remember it. Signing Yorke was one of the worst things Souness did. Playboy with a bad attitude and he ruined a re-born Andrew Cole in the process. I’m not surprised someone went after him.

Aspiration and ambition I can understand but expectation isn’t going to change in 3 months, 2 transfers, even a run undefeated.

I also cannot agree with, the notion we’ve played largely awful! 

I cant state that enough. We are marginally away from being a top 6 team. That’s with some limited players and difficult fixtures. Arguably only certain decisions and mistakes away from being in the play offs, as the drop points from winning positions suggests.

The master plan for me seems obvious too. Build a young squad with room to improve, add the right players when they become available. Get an identity back, a team with spirit and fight that the town can be proud of.

Tony has already largely achieved that - in 18 months. I’m quite sure the legend Bobby Robson would’ve seen the job TM has done and give him the credit you cannot afford him.

Good football “people” like Gary and TM are the sole reason we aren’t languishing in the fourth tier or worse after the damage done by those “managers” who could never be described as “proper football men” messers Kean and Coyle.

They aren’t dining out on an image, they’re dining out on our clubs money via contract pay outs.

• Like 1

You are talking far too much sense here Biz.  You must try harder to get into the gloom and doom mood. 

I totally agree with much of what you say.  Far from awful, I've really enjoyed most of the games this season and been impressed with some of the football that we are trying to play.  Of course, there are players who will gradually be replaced - Mowbray said that himself last month.  

Most of my friends believe we are heading in the right direction with exactly the right manager at the helm and have enjoyed their football again over the last eighteen months or so.  There is a positive vibe about the club - something that has been missing for a long time.

I was very happy that the owners signed Mowbray up on a long term contract as it gives him the time to build the club up from the foundations.

At long last the manager, players, club officials and owners are finally on the same page, along with the majority of the fanbase.  Long may it continue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bell was bloody awful yesterday.  We have a conundrum around certain players.  Sign a big nasty **** in Jan to play CB and move Mulgrew to LB (not fancy wing back or whatever Tinker Tony tries to play).  Adds height to the back line and still there for set pieces.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

You are talking far too much sense here Biz.  You must try harder to get into the gloom and doom mood. 

I totally agree with much of what you say.  Far from awful, I've really enjoyed most of the games this season and been impressed with some of the football that we are trying to play.  Of course, there are players who will gradually be replaced - Mowbray said that himself last month.  

Most of my friends believe we are heading in the right direction with exactly the right manager at the helm and have enjoyed their football again over the last eighteen months or so.  There is a positive vibe about the club - something that has been missing for a long time.

I was very happy that the owners signed Mowbray up on a long term contract as it gives him the time to build the club up from the foundations.

At long last the manager, players, club officials and owners are finally on the same page, along with the majority of the fanbase.  Long may it continue

This will be lapped up by half the messageboard but its peddling a load of old rubbish that isnt true.

Most of my friends believe we are heading in the right direction with exactly the right manager at the helm - so do most of the people on this messageboard, contrary to what some would suggest, very, very few people (Mercer and jim i think are the only 2 I know who have insinuated it) that arent happy with Mowbray in charge. Very much the minority.

I was very happy that the owners signed Mowbray up on a long term contract - again, see above, so are the majority on here.

impressed with some of the football that we are trying to play - in terms of results, ie the important part, we are about where we should be, and Mowbray has done a good job. Aesthetically, less so, we are very direct, play the most long balls in the league and often rely on set pieces to score.

there are players who will gradually be replaced - Mowbray said that himself last month - agree that it needs to happen, some feel that perhaps it is happening too slowly in terms of too much loyalty afforded to the likes of Smallwood and Armstrong, with some of his own signings (Rothwell, Palmer, Rodwell, Brereton) yet to be consistently incorporated into his team.

Lets not go down the route of perceiving criticism of certain aspects to be an overall unhappiness with Mowbray or the direction that the club is going in under him. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

In the next two windows if we have aspirations to push for top six we need a right back, left back, centre back, two wingers, Reed on a permanent and a striker.

We didn't make much progress in July/August did we on that basis?

Just now, 47er said:

We didn't make much progress in July/August did we on that basis?

I completely agree as is evident in the fact that of the summer signings only Reed has nailed down a regular place.

Compared to the last time we were in the Championship this season has been infinitely better and we have a manager who at least seems to have a roadmap for the future that he believes and more crucially the Venky's believe in.  With a squad that is not one of the strongest in the league we are  at present well clear of relegation worries and pushing towards a top 10 finish, hopefully the scouts that have been working hard can help to bring in a couple of players that improves us and then we can do the same in the Summer and evolve our squad.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Compared to the last time we were in the Championship this season has been infinitely better and we have a manager who at least seems to have a roadmap for the future that he believes and more crucially the Venky's believe in.  With a squad that is not one of the strongest in the league we are  at present well clear of relegation worries and pushing towards a top 10 finish, hopefully the scouts that have been working hard can help to bring in a couple of players that improves us and then we can do the same in the Summer and evolve our squad.

Would these players who could improve us ever get a game?

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

very true

hasn't Mowbray and Waggott already said Dack isn't leaving in January?

I agree on Davenport. 

we need a centre back in aswell. Think Bauer will sign in the 1st 2 weeks of the window

Nixon mention Braithwaite from Boro on loan. I would be after him on loan. 

Braithwaite would be a class signing, he’s a real player. Boro fans want him playing but he’s fell out with Pulis by all accounts... Villa were wanting 30/40 million for Grealish so that’s probably why he’s still there. Nobody would pay that for him, the reality is he’ll probably go for 10-20 million and the same goes for Dack. It’s very unlikely we’d get much more than 20 for him Chaddy. 

• Like 1