BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why? It would be pointless 

5 million, at a minimum and before clauses, would represent a great deal for us. 

I would like to think that if they are so keen that they're happy to throw £7 million at Mowbray on a 19 year old who has subsequently spent most of the season restricted to 20 minute appearances off the bench then coming up with a decent chunk to bid for Reed would be a no-brainer. For me much less risk with Reed, and if a deal could be done there it would make complete logical sense to spend big on him given his age, performances and versatility.

In theory they would look at Reed and realise that a major outlay on him would be worthwhile for multiple reasons, and that their prospects of a major profit on him are probably better than they are on Brereton at this moment in time.

As I've suggested numerous times, I don't think it is as simple as looking at the Brereton deal then trying to apply that to other players. I still maintain that cash came from a special pot that wouldn't necessarily have been available otherwise. Logically if you're going to spend £7 million on Brereton then £5-7 million on Reed is a no-brainer, but somehow I don't see that happening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

These owners don't put money in without the idea of getting it back with interest so they wouldn't risk it on a "potential" profit from Brereton. 

Regardless how you spin it, that's exactly what they did. Leveraged against future sales or not, the money is being spent on a potential profit from Brereton.

They've spent about 130 million on this club and don't seem likely to get it back.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I would like to think that if they are so keen that they're happy to throw £7 million at Mowbray on a 19 year old who has subsequently spent most of the season restricted to 20 minute appearances off the bench then coming up with a decent chunk to bid for Reed would be a no-brainer. For me much less risk with Reed, and if a deal could be done there it would make complete logical sense to spend big on him given his age, performances and versatility.

In theory they would look at Reed and realise that a major outlay on him would be worthwhile for multiple reasons, and that their prospects of a major profit on him are probably better than they are on Brereton at this moment in time.

As I've suggested numerous times, I don't think it is as simple as looking at the Brereton deal then trying to apply that to other players. I still maintain that cash came from a special pot that wouldn't necessarily have been available otherwise. Logically if you're going to spend £7 million on Brereton then £5-7 million on Reed is a no-brainer, but somehow I don't see that happening.

Ya, I agree that signing Reed needs to be the number 1 priority in January. Whatever about the Brereton transfer (and I hope someday we can discuss a potential transfer without referencing Brereton!) I would suspect that Southampton will want big bucks for Reed. I think we could be looking at a transfer record breaking deal 

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This would make zero sense. What if Dack got injured? We haven't leveraged the Brereton deal off a future fee for Dack. 

Oh god, are some really starting the "we have nothing to spend" line. Did we not have enough of that during the summer? Ultimately we had plenty to spend. Mowbray is saying we still have money, so why do people just ignore that and revert to the boring old line that we won't spend anything 

Fair enough. Does It have to be just one player though? There are 3/4 in the team that could generate the money to cover the out going fee. Lenihan, Raya, Nyambe to name a few. Combine them and you've easily paid the fee off and generated a profit.

Until the club is back where it started in the pram before these owners came along. I myself won't buy into fully that they do. That's managers, fees everything because it has a track record to suddenly turn on its head when you don't expect it.

How do you know this season isn't the go for it season in venkys eyes and if it fails they want their money back. They are business people first and foremost and will not risk any money without the guarantee of a return on investment.

1 hour ago, Tom Stinny said:

Fair enough. Does It have to be just one player though? There are 3/4 in the team that could generate the money to cover the out going fee. Lenihan, Raya, Nyambe to name a few. Combine them and you've easily paid the fee off and generated a profit.

Until the club is back where it started in the pram before these owners came along. I myself won't buy into fully that they do. That's managers, fees everything because it has a track record to suddenly turn on its head when you don't expect it.

How do you know this season isn't the go for it season in venkys eyes and if it fails they want their money back. They are business people first and foremost and will not risk any money without the guarantee of a return on investment.

The squad has players worth money now alright and that's a good thing. Selling to buy is one thing, but buying with a plan to sell a player or players at some unknown point in the future, doesn't really make sense. Obviously it's good for everyone that we now have players worth money! 

The only way they will get a return on their investment at this stage is promotion to the Premier league. Anything else, including selling players, is small change. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

According to Nicko Rovers are after a striker in January on loan

I'm down with that. Been thinking myself it might be the way we go. January is a tricky time to find the right player in that sort of position, for the right price, who can slip straight into the action as you need to in January. A reasonably experienced frontman on loan could be the best way.

Edited by bluebruce

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Jermaine Defoe on loan would be a great signing although wages would be an issue. It's extremely unlikely but we can all dream.

Christ, it's crazy to think that it's 'dreaming' to get Defoe on loan in the Championship...he's 36! For a short player that was so reliant on his pace in his younger days, he's sustained his career exceptionally well.

Edited by bluebruce

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Christ, it's crazy to think that it's 'dreaming' to get Defoe on loan in the Championship...he's 36! For a short player that was so reliant on his pace in his younger days, he's sustained his career exceptionally well.

I just meant with his wages, he must be on at least 80 grand a week. He's still fit and top quality. He would get in double figures providing we played through the midfield and not over it

Gallagher back is more likely. I think that would be a safe loan and more realistic

Edited by Oldgregg86

Creeping on Lucas Joao, as I do from time to time. This Sheff Wed Report(tabloid bs) suggests two players they should look at up front. https://www.google.com/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-lucas-joao-alternatives-jos-luhukay-should-consider-for-sheffield-wednesday/amp/

Isaac Success from Watford

Conor Wickham from Palace

Still think Lucas Joao would be a perfect fit in this team as the target man.

I dunno about Sam Gallagher, the money they were talking in the summer was scary.

Edited by Fraserkirky

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I just meant with his wages, he must be on at least 80 grand a week. He's still fit and top quality. He would get in double figures providing we played through the midfield and not over it

Gallagher back is more likely. I think that would be a safe loan and more realistic

Oh I wasn't saying you're wrong. Just that he's done extremely well to be an unrealistic move for us at this stage of his career.

Everyone of the issues Identified on here in the last window is yet to be addressed, except midfield-------keeper, full-back, centre-back, real winger and, daftest of all-----striker!.

Midfield we have recruited extraordinarily well.

Anyone have any idea of much solanke earns at Liverpool. He would be in a similar bracket to Abraham at villa and would do well. He's also a target man build and in the England youth team which Mowbray likes to go down with a British core.

On loan though. No chance it would be permanent with Rovers covering 40%-50% of his wage at most. Would imagine that would be around 25k-30k per week with him on around 50k-60k in total at Liverpool.

44 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Anyone have any idea of much solanke earns at Liverpool. He would be in a similar bracket to Abraham at villa and would do well. He's also a target man build and in the England youth team which Mowbray likes to go down with a British core.

On loan though. No chance it would be permanent with Rovers covering 40%-50% of his wage at most. Would imagine that would be around 25k-30k per week with him on around 50k-60k in total at Liverpool.

Cant see in a million years we would get Solanke. Hes just scored 4 in 2 for the under 21s. I can see a mid table prem team taking him on loan in January. 

As others have said the squad is fairly competetive. I would like to see a strong powerful striker on loan unless Brereton starts getting a few games there.A pacey wide man on loan would also be good.  If theres one thing our team lacks overall its pace. 

I wonder if we will re-visit for the charlton Centre Back Bauer in January. A bit of height 

I can see us making one or two additions at most. I also think Travis, Nuttal, Tomlinson and some others may go out on loan. 

• Like 1

Just now, benhben said:

Cant see in a million years we would get Solanke. Hes just scored 4 in 2 for the under 21s. I can see a mid table prem team taking him on loan in January. 

As others have said the squad is fairly competetive. I would like to see a strong powerful striker on loan unless Brereton starts getting a few games there.A pacey wide man on loan would also be good.  If theres one thing our team lacks overall its pace. 

I wonder if we will re-visit for the charlton Centre Back Bauer in January. A bit of height 

I can see us making one or two additions at most. I also think Travis, Nuttal, Tomlinson and some others may go out on loan. 

Can you not say that about Villa?. They went out and got Abraham/Bolasie and the such and have shown that extra ambition to get them. Abraham would have been looked at by lower perm teams as well. 

If Rovers want to really push on and make a statement then that is the player to get. Target man type who would score goals. Sam Gallagher wouldn't be enough for me to push on since the manager would play him on the wing like Brereton. He hasn't scored a lot either when in the championship.

If you want to get to the premier league then the club needs to think bigger.