BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd try get Duncan Whatmore out of slumderland. Winger/Attacker with a bit of drive..and probably getable 

Hardly played since getting a cruciate knee ligament injury in the season Sunderland were relegated from the Prem. 6 appearances in the Championship last year and only 4 appearances so far this season in L1.

2 hours ago, ewoodnews said:

We are trying to sign Reed but a lot of other clubs are going to be trying to sign him to.

Deal to be done with Southampton.

We want a striker and a rb no names as yet.

Missed out on a loan sign as Sheffield Utd got him instead.

Will be looking at mostly loans but if deals become available the venkys will consider it. Being closer to the play offs come end of January might allow for more cash to be spent.

Dack has a value that if not ment then no deal to be done. Venkys want to keep him until the summer at then maybe take the cash to reinvest throughout the squad.

Will inform more when I know it.

Surely a CB over a RB?

Harrison Reed is a fabulous footballer, hands down our best player. All the stops to sign him please. The running the lad puts in during 90mins is incredible, good tackler, passer, has it all for a centre midfielder. If Southampton are stupid enough to sell him we should be all over it. Give him the armband and a five year contract.

Get Bauer in now, enough of the speculation. He seems to fit the bill.

Sign a Striker.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't think that four ever played in the same team.

Chapman is out of contract in the summer, and TM mentioned him fairly recently at the supporters consultation, and Boro have just signed another winger so you would think this one will probably happen if we want it too.

Bauer is an interesting one, on paper he looks exactly what we need, can't say I have seen too much of him though.

I don't think we'll be signing a left back, I think TM will want to run with Bell and hopefully we'll see an improvement, thought he was better on Tuesday. I would certainly be looking at a right back to come in and add depth there, we can't keep putting Bennett out there when Nyambe is out.

Other than that, the main two pieces of business I want to see is Dack staying, and Travis not going out on loan and signing a new contract here.

U are so right! Apologies, must be in my imagination all four played together! Chapman got injured in Oct/Nov, and Armstrong only came in Jan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

This is the problem. For me our budget and plans shouldn't really hinge on how far off the play-offs we are in early January. The club and owners should have a plan over the medium to long term and a list of players they want to bring in to work towards that, be it this season or next. Whether we are 7th or 17th. They should have faith in the medium to long term job. By all means if we're on course for promotion chuck some more in to try and get us over the line but business needs to be done either way and we'll never get anywhere if they base their budget on what position we're in. 

E.g. if our last 4 games had been Rotherham, Ipswich, Brentford and Reading and we'd picked up 10 points we'd be on the cusp of the play-offs but might have Leeds, Sheff Utd, WBA and Middlesbrough to come in January. Would they seriously increase the transfer pot after a good Xmas because we had a kind fixture list rather than the tough one we actually had which only saw 3 points from 12 collected?

There's too much ifs, buts and maybes. If we're in contention they'll think about making more cash available. Anyone can see we lack depth and quality in numerous areas so the club should be looking to plug those gaps with the right players. What's the alternative? Don't make money available because we're not in promotion contention? Its a vicious cycle.

If the plan is to focus on loans we aren't going to get anywhere. It's just a patch up job until it has to be revisited in July. Need permanent quality players who are going to improve the team not for 6 months before trotting back to their parent clubs but for 2-3 years as we build upwards.

Absolutely agree with this summing up.

If we're just signing loanees, the gradual improvement Mowbray talks about will never materialise and the best case scenario will only ever be mid table.

Just as the case was under Bowyer, if you tread water for too long, you will eventually start to go backwards.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 2

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We are doing fine, see we beat West Brom.

We are doing fine, tbf.

The squad is roughly where it should be and with better game management/actual management, whatever you want to call it, we could easily be top 10. I see no reason why top 10 isn't still a realistic target either, which is progress.

If Mowbray decides to stick with certain players and this rotation tactic to try find our best formation and who is and isn't up to the job ahead of a summer rebuild then I'm all for it, January has never been a month for wholesale squad changes.

4 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

We are doing fine, tbf.

The squad is roughly where it should be and with better game management/actual management, whatever you want to call it, we could easily be top 10. I see no reason why top 10 isn't still a realistic target either, which is progress.

If Mowbray decides to stick with certain players and this rotation tactic to try find our best formation and who is and isn't up to the job ahead of a summer rebuild then I'm all for it, January has never been a month for wholesale squad changes.

So when we talk about giving a manager 2, 3 or 4 windows we actually mean 2, 3 or 4 summer windows?

Mowbray is on record as saying you cannot build a successful Club using loans.

However I do believe that astute use of the loan market, especially in the January window, can make a big diffetence say in finishing midtable or actually making a play off push.

Mowbray said yesterday that Rovers, to hold on to Dack, have to show PL ambition which a midtable finish will not, imo, achieve. Mind you this was in an article basically bigging Dack up as PL oven ready now.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

So when we talk about giving a manager 2, 3 or 4 windows we actually mean 2, 3 or 4 summer windows?

Mowbray is on record as saying you cannot build a successful Club using loans.

However I do believe that astute use of the loan market, especially in the January window, can make a big diffetence say in finishing midtable or actually making a play off push.

Mowbray said yesterday that Rovers, to hold on to Dack, have to show PL ambition which a midtable finish will not, imo, achieve. Mind you this was in an article basically bigging Dack up as PL oven ready now.

Personally, I don't believe one summer and a January window is enough to turn us from a top league one team to a top championship team, no.

I'll properly judge September 1st this year, we need a better summer window than the one just gone. I agree with loans too but as you say they can make a difference, especially if you can snaffle them permanently afterwards.

Finishing lets say 12th in our first season back in the Championship should show anyone we're on the right track to be fair.

I believe Dack's quotes, he seems happy here. Mowbray seems happy with him here. But make no mistake about it, if there's a concrete offer for Dack from the Premier League it won't matter where we are when it comes in and personally I'll be amazed if he's still here come the end of the Summer window. Although he would benefit from another full season in this league before making the step up which eventually he will do.

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Warnock did it. 

Warnock's a better manager than Mowbray.

I'm sure Bruce could've done it too, but we don't have him either. 

15 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Personally, I don't believe one summer and a January window is enough to turn us from a top league one team to a top championship team, no.

I'll properly judge September 1st this year, we need a better summer window than the one just gone. I agree with loans too but as you say they can make a difference, especially if you can snaffle them permanently afterwards.

Finishing lets say 12th in our first season back in the Championship should show anyone we're on the right track to be fair.

I believe Dack's quotes, he seems happy here. Mowbray seems happy with him here. But make no mistake about it, if there's a concrete offer for Dack from the Premier League it won't matter where we are when it comes in and personally I'll be amazed if he's still here come the end of the Summer window. Although he would benefit from another full season in this league before making the step up which eventually he will do.

A fair view, don't disagree. I hope TM's overall planning is based on life after Dack and I hope he's still with us come the end of this window.

May prove to be trivial, but Reed being given permission to play the the cup should be a sign they won’t be recalling him in January. Small win.

Frustratingly, I don’t think our club currently values the January window as much as some of our competition. We don’t need an overhaul but I’m sure teams around us will go out and actively improve their starting 11 in a position or two, allowing them to likely better their league position as well as building an improved platform for starting next season. This makes the ‘let’s save any decent signings til summer as they won’t hit the ground running’ tagline very frustrating as we could be bettering ourselves in the here and now promoting a stronger base window by window.  

Deals for players currently starting in the Championship might be too difficult however there will be very good opportunities in both cherry picking the better players from the leagues below (see Preston yesterday) or going for players not getting a look in in the Prem. As an example from the top of my head look at Joe Lolley last January - he was making the bench at best for Huddersfield in the Prem, Forest needed a winger and took him for a low fee. He was a starter from then onwards and made a solid impact. This season he's been on fire and is regarded as one of the best players in the league, a great January investment for around 500k. I understand the heavy competition for players and the fact that example isn’t one that you can pluck out every day with ease however it would be nice to see the ambition of signing players within our budget that truly improve the side.

I don't think it's unrealistic or simplistic to ask - If we’ve insinuated money is available, why not attempt to spend it now on the players we need in order to not lose momentum and keep on moving forward?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Absolutely no point planning on Dack being here next year.  Selling him and reinvesting (some) seems the plan. 

Main hope we have of keeping him is if his poor from from the last month or so (WBA excepted) continues for another few months putting the prem teams off him. But then do we want players who have long poor spells?

I'd say he's a gonna in the summer as we are not getting promoted. We have a succession plan of sorts in Rothwell I think. I can see him developing into that number 10 role and being decent (though obviously not as good as Dack).

• Like 1

Jordon Mutch is available on a free. Could be a good experienced option on a deal til the summer, then see what happens. Has played left mid a fair bit. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jordon-mutch/profil/spieler/57207 

I think he has had his injuries, but I thought he looked decent from what I have seen. 

Efe Ambrose(the one who got away from Coyle) is leaving Hibs on a free also. Apparently to Cardiff. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel