BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I knew people would leap to Graham's defence when I posted but we need to be looking forward and trying to improve the side not rewarding ageing players for past performance.

Current performances. I can't think of a player more integral to our system. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 3

Interesting to see how Brad Potts, Josh Ginnelly and Jayden Stockley do at PNE. All 3 have been signed from lower league clubs and are lads in their early twenties with league experience.

Stockley was £750k as PNE met his release clause. Big target man who had about 13 goals this season in League 2. 

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Interesting to see how Brad Potts, Josh Ginnelly and Jayden Stockley do at PNE. All 3 have been signed from lower league clubs and are lads in their early twenties with league experience.

Stockley was £750k as PNE met his release clause. Big target man who had about 13 goals this season in League 2. 

Yeah agreed. There are some players in league one/two who are worth looking at.

Should be our model really looking at the best the league below has to offer.

Theres that lad at Doncaster who plays up front, name escapes me, who has scored a fair few this year. Think one or two have mentioned him before. He would be worth a shot, as would the young lad at Sunderland.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Theres that lad at Doncaster who plays up front, name escapes me, who has scored a fair few this year. Think one or two have mentioned him before. He would be worth a shot, as would the young lad at Sunderland.

Marquis. He played well at Ewood against us last season. Another one someone in the Championship may take a punt on. 

Edited by blueboy3333

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

John Marquis - I'm a fan.

Barnsley mate is gutted about Potts going - reckons he can make the step up easily.

Anyone whose after Chapman coming back needs to realise the lad will be lucky to continue his career. He's had the same or similar injury multiple times in a row which affects his main attribute, his pace.

Bringing that lad back is basically handing out charity and for a club like Rovers that is not good enough. You could get a better player in Edwards in the summer for around 1 million once Ipswich go down. 

With Chapman being under 21 he will demand a compensation fee. That could be up to around 600k for all we know. Some players have moved for millions from tribunal. Wasn't Mahoney rumoured to be around the same as the fee we paid for Dack?

At least Brereton will get on the pitch. Chapman would move from Boro's treatment table to ours. It isn't the lads fault it's just tough luck.

What's Maddison doing at Peterborough? Sure he's got 12+ assists and a goal or two. Anyone who points to his attitude look no further than Dack who can do nearly whatever he wants away from the pitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Chapman should imo have been our player by now, assuming a reasonable level of fitness, he's exactly what we lack. The problem is TM doesn't really rate him and would rather play a past it Conway or a "wide striker" out of position there because he perceives rightly or wrongly that out and out wide men don't give us enough defensive solidity.

Pulis simply said no just as Charlton said no on Bauer.

In the event both players spent most of the half season just gone injured.

I would look to a loan for Chapman.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

In fairness Graham looks a lot fitter than the 19-year-old who is supposed to replace him.

Playing Devil’s advocate though, Brereton won’t get match fit if he’s only playing 15-20 minutes a week.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

£500k would make more sense.

True but if it's rumoured to increase to 7 million it will be around half of that up front. To be fair if someone said you could pick from Brereton or the Maja lad at Sunderland then I'd go for Maja.

The guy doesn't set is own fee though so I won't throw it at him. I'd ask to show me why but not blame him for it.

I'd look to set deals up for the summer right now instead of loans to block our own players. A few options could be.

Maja - Sunderland 

Edwards - Ipswich 

Maddison - Peterborough 

Bauer - Charlton 

Whatmough - Portsmouth 

Lowe - Portsmouth 

Reed - Southampton 

Gallagher - Southampton 

Hector - Chelsea 

Stephens - Southampton 

A few would be a push but players from the premier league can be got through loans. League 1 players being purchased permanently and Reed being the marquee signing. 

They would be a few on my list for the summer. This seasons finish. We won't go up or down as long as injuries are fine.

• Like 2

I really hope the Brereton deal doesn't turn out as bad as it seems so far as we can't afford that kind of money and certainly not for someone who isn't a first teamer.  I think he has to play, even if it's not every game, he needs regular starts and if he's not getting that we might as well loan him out because he isn't going to improve as a young player by sitting on the bench every week for 75 minutes.

34 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

I'd look to set deals up for the summer right now instead of loans to block our own players. A few options could be.

Maja - Sunderland 

Edwards - Ipswich 

Maddison - Peterborough 

Bauer - Charlton 

Whatmough - Portsmouth 

Lowe - Portsmouth 

Reed - Southampton 

Gallagher - Southampton 

Hector - Chelsea 

Stephens - Southampton 

Hector is currently on loan at Sheff Weds. Amazingly, it's his 15th loan of his career! By contrast, the famous Loan Ranger, Todd Kane, just a year younger, is on his 8th I believe. Surely Hector wants to settle down at a club by now, so he could indeed be available in the summer. Not seen him play much, but he gets mentioned from time to time on here.

Compared to most, I don't usually pay much attention to individual opposition players in our matches if I'm honest, but that Sheff Weds defence looked pretty porous against us.

15 minutes ago, McClarky said:

I really hope the Brereton deal doesn't turn out as bad as it seems so far as we can't afford that kind of money and certainly not for someone who isn't a first teamer.  I think he has to play, even if it's not every game, he needs regular starts and if he's not getting that we might as well loan him out because he isn't going to improve as a young player by sitting on the bench every week for 75 minutes.

If we don't intend to give him a run soon (and from the last two performances I can see why that'd be the case), he needs to either start playing for the reserves, or go on loan. I'd say to League One, as I can't see where he'd be guaranteed starts in this league right now. Can't see us swallowing our pride and loaning our 6-7 million pound man out though. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Playing Devil’s advocate though, Brereton won’t get match fit if he’s only playing 15-20 minutes a week.

But at the moment he simply isn't good enough to start a game.  Personally, despite the fee - whatever it might be - I'd stick him in the Under-23's and let him, hopefully, score a few goals and build a bit of confidence.  Nuttall has regained him form in recent weeks by doing just that.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Anyone whose after Chapman coming back needs to realise the lad will be lucky to continue his career. He's had the same or similar injury multiple times in a row which affects his main attribute, his pace.

Bringing that lad back is basically handing out charity and for a club like Rovers that is not good enough. You could get a better player in Edwards in the summer for around 1 million once Ipswich go down. 

With Chapman being under 21 he will demand a compensation fee. That could be up to around 600k for all we know. Some players have moved for millions from tribunal. Wasn't Mahoney rumoured to be around the same as the fee we paid for Dack?

At least Brereton will get on the pitch. Chapman would move from Boro's treatment table to ours. It isn't the lads fault it's just tough luck.

What's Maddison doing at Peterborough? Sure he's got 12+ assists and a goal or two. Anyone who points to his attitude look no further than Dack who can do nearly whatever he wants away from the pitch.

Completely agree. Hopes of Chapman coming here, his injuries suddenly disappearing and the lad tearing up the wing are based more on sentimentality than reality imo. For a start we don't even play a system that needs wingers (it's supposed to be inside forwards!) but even if we did switch to a system with genuine wide men the chances of Chapman being able to start more than a handful of games at this level is pretty slim imo. His injuries indicate a serious defect in his body when it comes to athletic competition. It's really sad but it's not often a player has as many injuries as he's had at that age, in basically the same area, and goes on to have a normal career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

But at the moment he simply isn't good enough to start a game.  Personally, despite the fee - whatever it might be - I'd stick him in the Under-23's and let him, hopefully, score a few goals and build a bit of confidence.  Nuttall has regained him form in recent weeks by doing just that.

As long as it doesn’t impact on Nuttall I’m fine with that.

However, it’s a sorry state of affairs when a second choice U23 striker costs £6m - £7m at a midtable Championship club!

• Like 3

Jordan Mutch has left Palace and is now a free agent, looked like a real player at one time. I remember he was Cardiff’s main man when they had there previous season in the prem. He was then signed by QPR for 6 million and then Palace for a bit less.. If he could regain his previous form He’d be an upgrade on Smallwood that’s for sure! Still only 27 too

Edited by Butty
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

As long as it doesn’t impact on Nuttall I’m fine with that.

However, it’s a sorry state of affairs when a second choice U23 striker costs £6m - £7m at a midtable Championship club!

He’ll be 3rd choice when Samual is back in a couple of months.

9 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe says he thinks he’ll be a Rovers player either this month or come the summer. Think it’s a massive gamble personally - I can’t see him suddenly clearing himself of all these injuries.

Of course he does - not like him to cover many bases is it? 

Edited by JacknOry
Edit: Too many beers, tohught it said Nixon first time around.

10 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Fair enough I didn't think of that. Speaking of young strikers. Sunderland Josh Maja who has 14 goal has just refused to sign a new contract and only has 6 months left I think.

Is he any good? If so we would be able to get him quite cheap and would fit into best quality from league 1 signings.

Only recently turned 20. Watched all his goals on youtube, and he looks a decent player to me. It doesn't show his general game, of course. No idea what Sunderland would want, but mid promotion charge I doubt it would be too cheap unless they're in dire financial straits.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Hector is currently on loan at Sheff Weds. Amazingly, it's his 15th loan of his career! By contrast, the famous Loan Ranger, Todd Kane, just a year younger, is on his 8th I believe. Surely Hector wants to settle down at a club by now, so he could indeed be available in the summer. Not seen him play much, but he gets mentioned from time to time on here.

Compared to most, I don't usually pay much attention to individual opposition players in our matches if I'm honest, but that Sheff Weds defence looked pretty porous against us.

He was pretty awful against us to be fair but then they all were.